Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lucas Oil Stadium getting turf upgrade!

adubb84

Won’t be natural grass but an upgraded turf that other teams in the NFL use. Didn’t know that we literally had the worst turf in the NFL. The correlation of multiple injuries on this surface all comes together. Many have been clamoring for it. We get our wish! Sort of? 

Interesting timing. More details in the article…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Won’t be natural grass but an upgraded turf that other teams in the NFL use. Didn’t know that we literally had the worst turf in the NFL. The correlation of multiple injuries on this surface all comes together. Many have been clamoring for it. We get our wish! Sort of? 

Interesting timing. More details in the article…

It took an AR injury to do so. Irsay was probably like, hell with this, I am not getting our future QB hurt over something that is silly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It took an AR injury to do so...

They voted on this in August.

From the article:

“Indianapolis’ Capital Improvement Board announced in August that it would change the turf starting in the 2024-25 season,” Peterson writes. “The current turf will be ripped out of Lucas Oil Stadium in March to make way for an Olympic-sized pool for the 2024 U.S Olympic Swimming Trials, and it will be replaced with a monofilament-style turf.”

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, lester said:

They voted on this in August.

From the article:

“Indianapolis’ Capital Improvement Board announced in August that it would change the turf starting in the 2024-25 season,” Peterson writes. “The current turf will be ripped out of Lucas Oil Stadium in March to make way for an Olympic-sized pool for the 2024 U.S Olympic Swimming Trials, and it will be replaced with a monofilament-style turf.”

Thanks, either way it needed to be done :thmup:

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING NEWS!!!!

Repeat after me - "About damn time"!!

It is RARE - like "dinosaur sighting rare" that I agree with Gregg Doyel but his article about Anthony Richardson where he indicates that AR's style of play ISN'T the reason he got injured - it's the turf!!

I think I'm gonna go wash out my mouth with soap!!

• Like 1

I remember a story about Jerry Jones taking some players wives on a tour of their stadium in the 90's.

One of the wives mentioned as they walked out the field, that it felt like they were walking on concrete.

Jerry's reply was "It only feels like that when you walk on it"

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I’ve stood on that turf many times over the years. Couldn’t believe how hard it was the first time I walked on it. Feels like a track more than a field. 

Designed on purpose that way for our speedy receivers during the Manning era. 

Does the Combine take place there? I wonder if a change of turf would impact the future of the Combine in Indy, if LOS is used for the Combine.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Does the Combine take place there? I wonder if a change of turf would impact the future of the Combine in Indy, if LOS is used for the Combine.

Think that change is already in the works unfortunately. (combine not being here every year anymore)

• Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

There’s rumors it’s going to become a moving event from city to city

I heard this but saw that it took place in Indy this year; so, I thought I misheard.

The draft used to take place in NYC every year. Now it travels to different cities. The Combine may have the same fate. I think it should stay in Indy. It is an Indy event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Correct. Its been held there for a while but as others have said they’re thinking of making it rotate around the league. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I heard this but saw that it took place in Indy this year; so, I thought I misheard.

The draft used to take place in NYC every year. Now it travels to different cities. The Combine may have the same fate. I think it should stay in Indy. It is an Indy event.

It should. But that doesn’t mean it will. The biggest reason it is it central to most of the big colleges. But they also get some big tax breaks to help keep it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah, probably came across abrasive. 

Lol, sorry @adubb84.

To be fair the article/ tweet was dated today.

I blame the local articles for recycling material way to often 

Appreciate the effort. 

lol! It’s all good. I take no offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I miss the draft being at radio city. Watching all those jets fans be so disappointed every year was great.  I forget the te they picked one year. He wasn’t bad but they were so visibly upset when he got picked. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I miss the draft being at radio city. Watching all those jets fans be so disappointed every year was great.  I forget the te they picked one year. He wasn’t bad but they were so visibly upset when he got picked. 

I think you are referring to the draft when the Jets selected Kyle Brady, a TE. The fans booed him and kept saying that they wanted the Jets to draft Warren Sapp. If I recall correctly, Bill Belichick was with the Browns at the time. The Browns were selecting next and were planning to take Kyle Brady. The cameras showed Belichick being visibly upset that the Jets selected Brady, as they had been prepared to select him.  He just traded away the next pick. I recall some of the analysts saying that it was a good selection by the Jets, but the fans did not like it.

I also recall when Eagles fans booed the Donovan McNabb pick. 

• Like 1