Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ogletree Looked Fast

Nickster

At one point I remember he hit an impressive gear for his size.  Accelerating past the LB.  TE production is down across the NFL in general probably as a result of smaller speedier LBs, but he looks like a tough match up with that ridiculous size.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

At one point I remember he hit an impressive gear for his size.  Accelerating past the LB.  TE production is down across the NFL in general probably as a result of smaller speedier LBs, but he looks like a tough match up with that ridiculous size.

Woods is fast, Granson is fast and Mallory is fast, our young TE room is impressive.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He's one of the few camp stars (from last year) that has really translated thus far.   I think he's our best blocking TE as well,  rounding him out as a complete package. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Doesn't get enough  targets

He is effective because he is part of a "spread it around" concept. He is good but not Travis Kelce good that he manages to get open by reading Ds at a high level that he can demand more targets. 

A couple more per game, maybe?? But if our bread and butter is going to be running, controlling clock and tempo and playing D, his target level is acceptable to me. If that is our game plan, there are only so many targets to go around. Snap increase first, targets next. 

• Like 2

On one of his catches Sunday it almost looked like he was looking for somebody to hit, just so he could lay some punishment on someone. Dude is big, fast, and plays with a killer attitude. He is going to be a nightmare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Woods is fast, Granson is fast and Mallory is fast, our young TE room is impressive.

I want to see more Mallory.  Watched his college tape and was very impressed.  Plus anyone that has a family lineage in football seems to do well.  Let’s get the kid healthy and give home more snaps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is effective because he is part of a "spread it around" concept. He is good but not Travis Kelce good that he manages to get open by reading Ds at a high level that he can demand more targets. 

A couple more per game, maybe?? But if our bread and butter is going to be running, controlling clock and tempo and playing D, his target level is acceptable to me. If that is our game plan, there are only so many targets to go around. Snap increase first, targets next. 

Total snaps by week

1. 15 snaps - 9 as receiver and 6 and a run blocker
  2. 28 snaps - 9 receiving, 4 pass blocking and 15 run blocking
  3. 28 snaps - 9 receiving, 4 pass blocking and 15 run blocking
  4. 40 snaps - 12 receiving, 1 pass blocking and 27 run blocking

Nearly doubling his Rblk snaps in week 4 and his grade went up over 20 points. His grades for receving and pass blocking is pretty consistent. He's not a Kelce, he's more of a traditional TE, but he shows so much potential and judging by his increased snaps the coaches are seeing it too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think his blocking grade pretty well too.  Bowers, Ogletree and Mallory would be a great TE room.  LOL.

Man Bowers is a beast. It looks like a loaded draft for qbs and other positions and he might actually fall a bit because of his position. In a normal   draft, he is probably top 5 

32 minutes ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I want to see more Mallory.  Watched his college tape and was very impressed.  Plus anyone that has a family lineage in football seems to do well.  Let’s get the kid healthy and give home more snaps.

Only so much ball for the tes. Ogeltree, Granson and Cox will get majority of playing time. I do like him a lot in watching his tape   

I don't see a way when Woods gets back you don't feature Woods and Ogletree at the same time.    I think either Granson or Cox playing time will suffer as a result.  I just don't see a good reason to have Woods or Ogletree inactive if fully healthy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Man Bowers is a beast. It looks like a loaded draft for qbs and other positions and he might actually fall a bit because of his position. In a normal   draft, he is probably top 5 

He'll be top 10, provided he tests like he plays.  Ballard will be in love with the TE room and won't grab this generational TE. Too bad.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

When AR plays again he struggles outside the numbers and will likely heavily target tight ends, throws he’s already good at.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

When AR plays again he struggles outside the numbers and will likely heavily target tight ends, throws he’s already good at.

See, normally not so polished passers struggle between the numbers. Hurts couldn't hit a seam route if his life depended on it the first 2 years. Then, Year 3, he was throwing dimes to Goedert and having A J Brown and DeVonta Smith outside definitely helped open up things underneath too.

Compared to that, AR is ahead because the seams generally have more traffic that result in more INTs or concussions (ask Peyton's WRs/TEs) but that suits the "I am accurate when I can zip it to a spot" thrower like AR while the arc and trajectory has to take some off the zip throwing outside the numbers. AR can throw the fast ball well and thus he has been able to make some unbelievable throws between the numbers.

He does though have the ability to make out of structure throws on the move to outside the numbers look easy like that throw to Josh Downs in the Titans game, that was really well thrown.

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

I predict a pro bowl in his future

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't see a way when Woods gets back you don't feature Woods and Ogletree at the same time.    I think either Granson or Cox playing time will suffer as a result.  I just don't see a good reason to have Woods or Ogletree inactive if fully healthy. 

IMHO ......

I see Ogletree taking the inline role and Granson taking the Move TE role

Granson, has improved greatly 

They will be the 2 starters........  Woods will spell Ogletree

Cox isnt on the team next year...... IMHO

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO ......

I see Ogletree taking the inline role and Granson taking the Move TE role

Granson, has improved greatly 

They will be the 2 starters........  Woods will spell Ogletree

Cox isnt on the team next year...... IMHO

Granson has improved but he is still little more than just a guy IMO. I would eventually like to see Mallory and Woods get more PT and Granson less.

I do 100% agree that Cox will walk next year and Olgetree will take that inline spot, especially with how well he's blocking lately.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

See, normally not so polished passers struggle between the numbers. Hurts couldn't hit a seam route if his life depended on it the first 2 years. Then, Year 3, he was throwing dimes to Goedert and having A J Brown and DeVonta Smith outside definitely helped open up things underneath too.

I’m not sure if I agree with this.  Like at all.  The hardest throws to make are to the boundary.  Seams are easier, more direct throws.  Maybe Hurts struggled with it but that doesn’t necessarily that it’s harder to do for most.  Hurts is short by NFL standards which would increase the difficulty by making it harder to find windows to throw through.

Do you have some evidence of that?  I’ve never heard that before.  

Traditionally, that was the determining factor if a player could be an NFL QB.  Did he have the arm strength and accuracy to push the ball downfield to the boundary from the pocket.  

Compared to that, AR is ahead because the seams generally have more traffic that result in more INTs or concussions (ask Peyton's WRs/TEs) but that suits the "I am accurate when I can zip it to a spot" thrower like AR while the arc and trajectory has to take some off the zip throwing outside the numbers. AR can throw the fast ball well and thus he has been able to make some unbelievable throws between the numbers.

Yes AR has thrown some really nice balls down the middle.

But again man I part company.  Throws to the boundary are sometimes floated but they also often need to be electric * rockets that arrive when the receiver opens up.

He does though have the ability to make out of structure throws on the move to outside the numbers look easy like that throw to Josh Downs in the Titans game, that was really well thrown.

He’s pretty good outside the numbers on the move and often throws side Arm when he does and seems really accurate when throwing from the side.

I’ve said in a post maybe it is not as necessary to hit those throws from the pocket with Next Gen QBs.

The jury is still hearing testimony on that one.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I’m not sure if I agree with this.  Like at all.  The hardest throws to make are to the boundary.  Seams are easier, more direct throws.  Maybe Hurts struggled with it but that doesn’t necessarily that it’s harder to do for most.  Hurts is short by NFL standards which would increase the difficulty by making it harder to find windows to throw through.

Do you have some evidence of that?  I’ve never heard that before.  

Traditionally, that was the determining factor if a player could be an NFL QB.  Did he have the arm strength and accuracy to push the ball downfield to the boundary from the pocket.  

You are talking arm strength for the out routes on the opposite side of the field or down the field. I am talking which ones are more difficult to execute, not draftable traits.

https://sumersports.com/the-zone/hitting-the-hard-shots-why-the-middle-of-the-field-is-the-most-effective-throw-in-football-despite-the-best-quarterbacks-succeeding-elsewhere/

The above article says:

Middle of the field passing, despite being the most efficient area of the field for an offense to pass into, can be difficult to execute as it may require the quarterback to hold onto the ball longer to get through progressions or be an area of the field where a safety is present.

This could be why Jalen Hurts, who wasn't farther along with his progressions in Year 2, wasn't making those seam throws in Year 2, it is not like he grew taller between Year 2 and Year 3. Drew Brees threw down the seams well too. That is also a reason why AR is starting, because the coaches felt he was farther along going through his progressions, IMO.

Tom Brady was not uber accurate down the field on long balls down the sidelines like a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer, who both throw a pretty sideline and deep ball, so does Aaron Rodgers that is thrown more on a rope. Moss' catching radius helped with Brady's deep balls, more than his precision, he just got it in the vicinity. But down the seams, Brady was king, taking advantage of leading/throwing to Edelman and Gronk and his pass catching RBs so many times by navigating the pocket.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

You are talking arm strength for the out routes on the opposite side of the field or down the field. I am talking which ones are more difficult to execute, not draftable traits.

https://sumersports.com/the-zone/hitting-the-hard-shots-why-the-middle-of-the-field-is-the-most-effective-throw-in-football-despite-the-best-quarterbacks-succeeding-elsewhere/

The above article says:

Middle of the field passing, despite being the most efficient area of the field for an offense to pass into, can be difficult to execute as it may require the quarterback to hold onto the ball longer to get through progressions or be an area of the field where a safety is present.

This could be why Jalen Hurts, who wasn't farther along with his progressions in Year 2, wasn't making those seam throws in Year 2, it is not like he grew taller between Year 2 and Year 3. Drew Brees threw down the seams well too. That is also a reason why AR is starting, because the coaches felt he was farther along going through his progressions, IMO.

Tom Brady was not uber accurate down the field on long balls down the sidelines like a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer, who both throw a pretty sideline and deep ball, so does Aaron Rodgers that is thrown more on a rope. Moss' catching radius helped with Brady's deep balls, more than his precision, he just got it in the vicinity. But down the seams, Brady was king, taking advantage of leading/throwing to Edelman and Gronk and his pass catching RBs so many times by navigating the pocket.

Well there’s more than arm strength involved.  

Brady through fine to the boundaries.  And every other throw.  

And there is nothing in that article that suggests that the throw to the boundary is easier than the throw over the middle.

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well there’s more than arm strength involved.  

Brady through fine to the boundaries.  And every other throw.  

And there is nothing in that article that suggests that the throw to the boundary is easier than the throw over the middle.

It does say that the throws over the middle are more difficult to execute due to more defenders over there (safety or LB). Most of the sideline throws, the sideline is used as an extra defender when most teams that have good corners choose to play man coverage but the sideline don't intercept, the safeties and LBs in the middle can. So, IMO, there is a greater element of risk in throws down the middle. Anyone would take an incompletion over an INT, if given a choice.

That is why AR (will just stick to AR for the sake of this thread) throwing down the middle is something to commend him for. I don't however see us use enough slants for the outside guys given how we have bigger WRs that can use their bodies to shield passes. But that is a topic for a different day. Anyways, now that AR is out, we have to wait to see his progress probably close to December.

• Like 1