Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right now, I think it's 50/50. Taylor can sit out the first 6-8 games on PUP, play the second half of the season, and his contract still tolls. If he looks good in those remaining games, he either gets tagged or hits free agency with less mileage and decent standing. 

The only advantage to him playing early on is to prove he's healthy in case the Colts might consider trading him, and I think that's very unlikely to happen. So might as well sit out until after the deadline, and then try to showcase for half a season.

From the Colts perspective, if they were going to consider spicing up his 2023 contract with some incentives, that might get him to play sooner. But if I were the Colts, I wouldn't budge.

Big question will be do colts believe he is injured or not and if not are they still willing to keep him on PUP and pay him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right now, I think it's 50/50. Taylor can sit out the first 6-8 games on PUP, play the second half of the season, and his contract still tolls. If he looks good in those remaining games, he either gets tagged or hits free agency with less mileage and decent standing. 

The only advantage to him playing early on is to prove he's healthy in case the Colts might consider trading him, and I think that's very unlikely to happen. So might as well sit out until after the deadline, and then try to showcase for half a season.

From the Colts perspective, if they were going to consider spicing up his 2023 contract with some incentives, that might get him to play sooner. But if I were the Colts, I wouldn't budge.

I'd just not play him the final half the season.  Sure, he gets his accrued year, sure, it's petty....  but if the record is what we think it will be, or worse....  just treat it like he had a career ending injury, let him walk in the off-season and see what he gets.

I love the guy, but he has more miles on him than an Aldi's cart in a homeless camp....  people have argued he's "young" but he's physically one of the most beaten on bodies at the RB position 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Big question will be do colts believe he is injured or not and if not are they still willing to keep him on PUP and pay him.

They already accepted his premise at the start of camp. It would be interesting to see them insist that he's "cleared" now if he is insisting that he's not ready to practice. If they did, he could easily go find a camera and microphone and try to accuse the team of forcing him to play injured, even though he says he's not ready. It would be bogus, but that seems unnecessarily confrontational from the team's side. They'd be better off trading him, IMO. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what comes from this. I still doubt there'll be any good offers from contenders until late in the season if Taylor has proven he's healthy.

If they trade him for scraps to get away from the drama, then that's just stupid. At worst, keep him stashed on PUP.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Now we see what his market value is. Not sure him traveling with team is the right thing to do here if they are letting him seek a trade.  He hasn’t passed a physical lol.

I would imagine that he's not traveling with the team after all...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Ok. Now we find out what the market will bear. 

I’m not sure about that simply because he’s ahem injured, is believed to be soft holding out, and is due to make a number this year he can’t as of yet accepted.

If there were assurances that he’s healthy and will play for his current deal, then the market value would be revealed.

I don’t think you can do NBA style sign and trades in the NFL.  @Superman do you know about that?  You are the contract guru around here.  Can you do a deal a 3 party sign and trade in this league?

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Checkmate! Colts call him out, show me, don't tell me. He will have to PROVE he is healthy to teams, negotiate adequate compensation, and secure what he thinks he is worth for an extension. Failure to do any of these, especially the health portion will further destroy his reputation, and earning potential.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Again.. why TF am I getting notifications about this?! Don't we already know this??

I see "breaking news Jonathan Taylor" my heart skips a beat like oh we settled on a deal?! No we are allowing him to request a trade... Holy crap ESPN and Taylor..

Just be gone already 

Well to this point I don’t think he has permission to seek a trade from the team, at least officially.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Seeking requesting lol same difference to me.. every other day we get bad news with this dude 

But the news is the team is allowing him to do so.

it’s tampering if teams talk to a contracted player.  This is news.

I don’t really care either but it’s a new development.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

They already accepted his premise at the start of camp. It would be interesting to see them insist that he's "cleared" now if he is insisting that he's not ready to practice. If they did, he could easily go find a camera and microphone and try to accuse the team of forcing him to play injured, even though he says he's not ready. It would be bogus, but that seems unnecessarily confrontational from the team's side. They'd be better off trading him, IMO. 

You can’t be traded on the MLB DL.  Can you be traded on the PuP?

Taylor might of cost himself money if other teams lowball a extension. Because then colts can offer him less then what they would of ended up paying him. Wonder if he would want to be traded without a extension.

Just now, superrep1967 said:

I guess Irsay isn’t a man of his word. Because he said  we would never trade him and now they are. I was already mad at Colts for not reveling whether Richardson was going to play to sell tickets to a preseason game. These guys are getting worse and worse. 

That was just to keep up his trade value.

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Don’t deal him unless you can get at least a high 3rd and more for him. Miami is the best shot imo as Achane just got hurt and they have a big need at RB. 

Well Miami almost certainly won’t have a high 3rd unless they have one from a trade.  They should be darn good.

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I guess Irsay isn’t a man of his word. Because he said  we would never trade him and now they are. I was already mad at Colts for not reveling whether Richardson was going to play to sell tickets to a preseason game. These guys are getting worse and worse. 

A - No owner or coach is EVER going to say “yeah we want to trade this guy.”

B - It should have been expected with the new way teams are practicing. Why trot AR out there with a line made up of 2nd/3rd/PS guys and risk him getting injured for a meaningless game? 

Use some freaking common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

His ankle is fine....it's not fine

He has a back issue...he doesn't have a back issue

No way will we trade him...now we give him the ok to seek a trade

He's coming back to practice....he's rehabbing off site

He's back and making the trip to Philly....he's not making the trip to Philly

I actually could care less about this unrealistic head case. Trade him for a roll of toilet paper for all I care. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Not necessarily correct.  Giving him permission to "seek a trade" isn't the same as trading him.  He'll see that the market isn't what he thinks it ought be.  Possibly just teaching him a lesson in reality?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You must have missed Moose bagging on him his first 3 seasons.   He thinks leonard was always overrated.   Obviously wrong on both.   But I bet you agree.    

Wrong. I said that Nelson's play has gone down the last two years and that Ballard never should have signed him when he did.  I have always thought that Leonard is a little over rated as  is  his position in this scheme. If you look at Franklin, he put up great stats and that lb position in this scheme always does. I always said i would have played hard ball with Leonard and traded him when his stock was high for say a very good corner. I also said that based on Leonard's size and all those tackles, that it would eventually lead to an injury. Leonard is not a great pass defender and good run stats. He gets a lot of turnover and sacks and I wont take that away. I alway believed we could have plug and played a new guy if we traded him and that has been proven right by Franklin's play. To me to play a linebacker elite money he has to be elite in pass coverage in today's NFL and he is not