Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Taylor is under contract and if he doesn't want to play it out and prove his health and his worth to get a deserving contract trade him. I thought he had the character to at least stick out and stand strong in adversity but I was wrong. He is more than likely faking the PUP injury to hold so I say trade him for Oline or CB depth. Really our run game comes down to oline execution and play design anyways. RBs are a dime a dozen make the smart business decision and make the overall roster better.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

The last RB to be drafted in the first round was Najee Harris. He signed a 4-contract for a total of $16M, not all guaranteed. Bijan Robinson got nearly $22 million in guaranteed money. Both rookies with no wear and tear in the NFL.

One was drafted 8th and one was drafted 24th.

And again, last year was the first year since rookie pay scale went into effect where every 1st round pick had they're whole contract guaranteed.

Not even sure what you're trying to argue at this point.

The RB market has clearly changed.

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I disagree. If I am a player and my agent tells me to take less and I see players like Chubb, McCaffrey, and Henry cashing in and my agent settled for less, I don't know if he would still be representing me.

Serious question: If the market value for RBs is so bad, how did McCaffrey and Henry get the contracts they did?

Some teams don't make good business deals. The 49ers are in championship form, we are far from it. Got to stay flexible to create a better roster. RBs are a dime a dozen.

This situation just gets weirder. I would love to know what the offer on the table currently is. 

Taylor should get payed close to the same level of the top RBs in the league. But if he and his agent are doing all of this just because the offer doesn't break the RB market, then that's silly.

Both Irsay and Taylor's agent seem to be acting incredibly stupid on Twitter either way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Rookie pay scale has nothing to do with the market.

He was a top 10 pick and he is getting paid what his slot dictates, and all 1st rounders last year had their whole contract guaranteed and the trend is continuing.

That's true. That does not mean that quality RBs like JT and Barkley should not be paid their value.  (I know that is not what you are intimating but others are.)

I like that RBs are strategizing on ways to get teams to recognize their value to football.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There are tons of good running backs. That’s why their market is bad. Owners don’t want to pay second contracts when they can just draft someone new at the end of that contract.

No. They don't wanna pay them because of what happened to Zeke and Gurley once they got paid. I'm not saying pay RBs 20+ mil, but 13 14 mil is not a bad investment if your RB is your offense.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

One was drafted 8th and one was drafted 24th.

And again, last year was the first year since rookie pay scale went into effect where every 1st round pick had they're whole contract guaranteed.

Not even sure what you're trying to argue at this point.

The RB market has clearly changed.

Yes, I get that. It can be reversed. They have to support each other and not accept less.

Someone once told me to be sure not to ask for less for work I did because doing so would bring down the value of the profession. RBs accepting less brings down their value. The game can't survive without RBs.

10 minutes ago, colts89 said:

This situation just gets weirder. I would love to know what the offer on the table currently is. 

Taylor should get payed close to the same level of the top RBs in the league. But if he and his agent are doing all of this just because the offer doesn't break the RB market, then that's silly.

Both Irsay and Taylor's agent seem to be acting incredibly stupid on Twitter 

10 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Both Irsay and Taylor's agent seem to be acting incredibly stupid on Twitter either way.

I think something to 2-3yrs is fair with 11-13mil a yr. If he expects more than it is what it is. He should understand the team wants to see him back at full health first. But I guess he's seeing green now.

12 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

RBs are a dime a dozen.

Question is: Are RBs with the skills and experience of Taylor, McCaffrey and Barkley "a dime a dozen"? Can all RBs do what they do? Serious question.

I don't consider great RBs a dime a dozen.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Has nothing to do with it

They get paid what their draft slot calls for regardless of position.

It does kind of come into play because running backs are usually slowing down by the time a second contract comes into play. The pay scale you are right. But the fact they are slowing down by the second contract is why teams don’t want to pay that second one.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I wonder if that is so. I have to research that.

I'm not 100 percent sure. But it definately seems the wear tear of the position and the volume of quality runners to the percentage of RB usage would make it strategic for teams. Why pay an aging/injury risk when a young guy typically can perform adequately for less pay. CB and WRs need more time to develop but RBs are usually league ready. I think a good oline and blocking scheme/play calling trumps pure RB talent 75 to 80% of the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Has nothing to do with it

They get paid what their draft slot calls for regardless of position.

I was responding to the poster who said that RBs are often "more reliable and better" in their first contracts. I wrote that I have to research to determine if what he wrote is accurate. It had nothing to do with job slot.

25 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Taylor is under contract and if he doesn't want to play it out and prove his health and his worth to get a deserving contract trade him. I thought he had the character to at least stick out and stand strong in adversity but I was wrong. He is more than likely faking the PUP injury to hold so I say trade him for Oline or CB depth. Really our run game comes down to oline execution and play design anyways. RBs are a dime a dozen make the smart business decision and make the overall roster better.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm not 100 percent sure. But it definately seems the wear tear of the position and the volume of quality runners to the percentage of RB usage would make it strategic for teams. Why pay an aging/injury risk when a young guy typically can perform adequately for less pay. CB and WRs need more time to develop but RBs are usually league ready. I think a good oline and blocking scheme/play calling trumps pure RB talent 75 to 80% of the time.

You make very good points.

I would not consider JT at 24 to be aging. Some guys who were drafted this year are older.  Also, injuries can happen at any time. I recall many years ago, this guy was considered the next great RB. He was the #1 pick. He suffered an injury in his rookie year and never lived up to expectations. On the other hand, you have guys like Gore and to a lesser extent Adrian Peterson who were playing and contributing well into their 30s. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You make very good points.

I would not consider JT at 24 to be aging. Some guys who were drafted this year are older.  Also, injuries can happen at any time. I recall many years ago, this guy was considered the next great RB. He was the #1 pick. He suffered an injury in his rookie year and never lived up to expectations. On the other hand, you have guys like Gore and to a lesser extent Adrian Peterson who were playing and contributing well into their 30s. 

Taylor just had surgery and had a lot of miles in college. He's a stud and might be an iron horse like Gore but prove your back and than get your money. If he balls out like 2021 he will get a fair contract. With Colts or somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was responding to the poster who said that RBs are often "more reliable and better" in their first contracts. I wrote that I have to research to determine if what he wrote is accurate. It had nothing to do with job slot.

He was responding to you talking about RBs having higher 1st contracts than 2nd contracts.

What he said was RBs were more reliable and better on the first contract, that's why there is a change in how the process is working now.

That has nothing to do with it. What they wrote was inaccurate. Couldn't of been more wrong.

The ONLY reason Bijon got such a big guaranteed deal is because of his draft slot. Not because he will be better and more reliable during said contract.(Same with Gibbs)

44 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Taylor hasn’t said anything about not playing so this is bit of jumping to conclusions on your part.  In fact the coach said today they were holding him out due to caution.  I know many aren’t buying that but there is a chance that’s the truth.  So I know it’s not exciting why don’t we just let it play out?

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor hasn’t said anything about not playing so this is bit of jumping to conclusions on your part.  In fact the coach said today they were holding him out due to caution.  I know many aren’t buying that but there is a chance that’s the truth.  So I know it’s not exciting why don’t we just let it play out?

I am jumping a little because of his agent calling for a trade. But he was said to be a full go then a league wide RB pow wow goes down where players say they can exaggerate injuries to hold out. Poof Taylor is on PUP. That's not reaching to see it that way. But if he does sit out over pay I will loose respect for his character. He should be a teammate and participate with full effort and prove himself always. He can voice his opinions on pay and negotiate while being a stud instead of a dud. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I am jumping a little because of his agent calling for a trade. But he was said to be a full go then a league wide RB pow wow goes down where players say they can exaggerate injuries to hold out. Poof Taylor is on PUP. That's not reaching to see it that way. But if he does sit out over pay I will loose respect for his character. He should be a teammate and participate with full effort and prove himself always. He can voice his opinions on pay and negotiate while being a stud instead of a dud. Time will tell.

His agent didn’t call for a trade.  He liked a tweet of someone saying he should call for one.  That’s not the samething.  

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/agent_for_colts_rb_jonathan_taylor_fuels_trade_speculation/s1_13132_39062183

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

The ONLY reason Bijon got such a big guaranteed deal is because of his draft slot. Not because he will be better and more reliable during said contract.(Same with Gibbs)

Yes, I do hear your point about the rookie wage scale and that is why Robinson received so much.

I believe the other poster was making a different point unrelated to that. I believe that he was saying that teams seem to value younger RBs regardless of where they are drafted because they may be more productive as they likely have less wear and tear. Whether they are drafted high in the first round or someplace in the mid rounds, younger RBs seem to be generally more valued than those that have wear and tear.  Teams may rather bank on getting a new RB who is younger than pay an older RB a lot of money. @TimetobringDfence! Is that what you were trying to convey earlier? Perhaps I read it incorrectly. If so, my apologies. 

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

@NFLfan

Apologize for being grumpy with you.

This whole situation has ruined the first day of camp and just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Don't think it could be anymore distracting than it is at this point.

You're not being grumpy with me. I hope I don't come across that way. There is nothing personal. I did not respond right away because I am getting ready to end the night. I have to get up in six or so hours.

All is good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I agree.

Are you sure? Rookie Bijan Robinson is getting the 4th highest guaranteed money (more than Barkley and other RBs).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkley-signing-new-deal-with-giants-a-timeline-of-contract-drama-how-both-sides-reached-agreement/

I think the part running backs would tell you is the problem is that a rookie has the 4th highest guaranteed money at their position.  I am not sure you can say that about any other position in the NFL.  

With that said, I do agree with Irsay’s point of hey you signed the CBA in 2020.  That was the time to ask for changes not now while you are in the middle of it.  

I also understand the players who feel like the Owners are trying to devalue their position and why they are pushing back against it and why their agents are pushing to get as much as they can.  However, most of the running backs have admitted there isn’t much they can do.  I am don’t buy the threat of holdouts because only one running back has actually held out a whole season.  At the end of the day most players aren’t walking away from a whole season of pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the part running backs would tell you is the problem is that a rookie has the 4th highest guaranteed money at their position.  I am not sure you can say that about any other position in the NFL.  

I guess some #1 draft picks have made more than others but yes, you don't normally see a rookie earning more than veterans at the same position.

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I like that Irsay spoke out. Why should RBs and agents get a megaphone with no pushback. As someone else said, I’m disappointed in JT. He’s under contract. 

What’s to be disappointed about?   JT is in camp.   He’s not threatening a holdout.  The only thing he’s doing is expressing his unhappiness and frankly,  he’s not even that loud about it.   So what’s your issue?  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I like that Irsay spoke out. Why should RBs and agents get a megaphone with no pushback. As someone else said, I’m disappointed in JT. He’s under contract. 

What’s there to be disappointed about?  He’s in camp.  He’s on PUP which could be legit.  The team said it is and judging by Irsay on twitter I don’t think they would do Taylor any favors by giving him an out if he’s truly holding in.  Taylor has never threatened to sit out.  He’s actually been really quiet about it.  

1 hour ago, colts89 said:

I think Taylor should be right around Chubb numbers like a 3/36m so he off the books before we have to pay AR

3 hours ago, w87r said:

He should trade his agent.

This whole thing started when he changed his agent. He never said anything about contract and stuff until end of March of this year when he changed his agent and then the negotiation through the media started the VERY FIRST time he got a chance to speak in front of the media at OTAs. 

I guess his agent is doing his job the way he understands it and the way he thinks will best serve his client. I just don't think this is the best way to go with Irsay. Irsay LOVES his players, especially the best of them. He absolutely loved Taylor before all this %storm was going on... maybe he still does. But undermining Irsay a week after he said in front of everybody that Taylor is healed up and ready to go, especially having in mind the sensitivity this franchise has with communications about injuries of star players is very VERY far from ideal course of action IMO. 

BTW I would leave for everyone to make their own judgement about this agent's actions... does he really think liking tweets about Taylor needing to ask for a trade is what's best for his client? Does he even understand that BY FAR the best chance Taylor has of getting paid long lucrative deal is with the Colts? Because for ANY other team the cost of having Taylor would be not just the salary but also draft compensation of some sort? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I agree.

Are you sure? Rookie Bijan Robinson is getting the 4th highest guaranteed money (more than Barkley and other RBs).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkley-signing-new-deal-with-giants-a-timeline-of-contract-drama-how-both-sides-reached-agreement/

Rookie scale contracts are fixed by draft position, not by playing position. Whoever was drafted at 8 this year would have gotten the exact same deal. It's not affected by the RB market at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That's true. That does not mean that quality RBs like JT and Barkley should not be paid their value.  (I know that is not what you are intimating but others are.)

I like that RBs are strategizing on ways to get teams to recognize their value to football.

They should be paid their value. It's just that the value is not what many think it is. For whatever it's worth, I think teams finally are recognizing the real value of RBs... which is not very high. 

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth it seems like this agent has quite a reputation for being a horrible manager and costing his clients tons of money. He's an MMA agent and has pulled some nonsense with his clients... tried to pull hustles on his clients too... he got fired on live TV by one of his fighters too:

His behavior on twitter makes perfect sense when you read just a tiny bit about him... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1