Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You pay the player not the position. No one is gonna say Pittman is more valuable then Taylor

Yes and no.  There was a time McAfee was one of the best players on the roster but he was never going to get paid what the other stars got, Luck and Hilton for example, because of his position.  

That’s the problem here that running backs don’t like their position is no longer being valued at all at the NFL level to the point teams are letting star ones go rather than paying them anything beyond a rookie deal (Cook with the Vikings).  

As for Irsay’s tweet I understand why people took that as a shot at Taylor but I also wonder if he’s responding to the chatter about people saying the CBA needs to be changed to allow running backs to sign for a year shorter on their rookie deals or come out a year earlier, hence him mentioning the CBA.  

The situation between Taylor and the Colts is going to be interesting to watch.  I think it’s going to end in a franchise tag probably with Pittman extended somewhere along the way.  That’s just my guess but I could be wrong.  What Taylor does once tagged will be interesting to watch.

• Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

He should trade his agent.

Why his agents job is to get him the most money he can.  Pointing out Taylor is the Colts best weapon and therefor he is justified to be paid like it is literally his job.  Just because it doesn’t align with the way Owners want running backs to paid doesn’t mean he did something wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Why his agents job is to get him the most money he can.  Pointing out Taylor is the Colts best weapon and therefor he is justified to be paid like it is literally his job.  Just because it doesn’t align with the way Owners want running backs to paid doesn’t mean he did something wrong.

It’s also the agents job to understand the running back market. Which they aren’t doing.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No his job is to get his player the most money he can.  It’s not his job to conform to the NFLs wishes.

You are so wrong here. The most money doesn’t mean they should get paid over the market for their position.

3 minutes ago, Moe said:

Jonathan Taylor is last player I would expect this from, and it’s disappointing!

It is. I can’t believe this. I wonder if he is disappointed in his agent. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I do. Colts aren’t exactly over flowing with wide receivers. Especially with a young QB who needs a reliable target. They can plug a RB in and probably still be alright without Taylor.

Wrong. Taylor is the key to AR's development because he's not gonna be the focus for defensives. Taylor will 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well I wasn't really being too serious.

But....

The guy is double pointing at his chain in his profile pic, so yeah, wouldn't be the guy representing me.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes and no.  There was a time McAfee was one of the best players on the roster but he was never going to get paid what the other stars got, Luck and Hilton for example, because of his position.  

That’s the problem here that running backs don’t like their position is no longer being valued at all at the NFL level to the point teams are letting star ones go rather than paying them anything beyond a rookie deal (Cook with the Vikings).  

As for Irsay’s tweet I understand why people took that as a shot at Taylor but I also wonder if he’s responding to the chatter about people saying the CBA needs to be changed to allow running backs to sign for a year shorter on their rookie deals or come out a year earlier, hence him mentioning the CBA.  

The situation between Taylor and the Colts is going to be interesting to watch.  I think it’s going to end in a franchise tag probably with Pittman extended somewhere along the way.  That’s just my guess but I could be wrong.  What Taylor does once tagged will be interesting to watch.

Not a good example. Pat was on the field on average 5-10 times a game to punt and kickoff. RBs do everything other positions do. Run, block, catch, even occasionally throw a pass

I like Taylor a lot BUT he is coming off an injury and needs to show he can be healthy. a hold out does NOTHING to help him in this situation if thats the case.

I think the Colts will offer him a fair contract. He should remember that this is the NOT FOR LONG league, and there is always somebody waiting in line behind him to be given the opportunity to prove themselves. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You are so wrong here. The most money doesn’t mean they should get paid over the market for their position.

It is. I can’t believe this. I wonder if he is disappointed in his agent. 

Except I am not.  Also, his agent said nothing about paying him over his position value.  He said it’s bad faith not to pay your best offensive player.  That’s his job, point out the value his client has brought to the team and get him as much money as he can.  It’s not his job to go well you only want to pay running backs this much now so I’ll lower the maximum value to that.

Middle linebackers used to be paid more and a premier position, but now they are not.   Sucks for those players, but gonna be awhile before it changes.  

so if could trade JT  for a random first, would you do it if you were the Colts?  It would be tempting…

• Like 1

Im not worried about it.  If I were the team i would play out the season and make him an offer afterwards based on how he does. 

Coming off a down year isnt the time for him to hold out and demand more money, hes going to play this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I would think about it.  An expiring RB for what could be a high first round pick is an interesting gamble

I doubt you are going to find a team that is likely going to have a first round pick to trade for him.  It would be a team like the Bills who probably aren’t going to have a high first round pick.

Maybe there was a reason for irsays tweet because Taylor’s agent isn’t being reasonable.

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Wrong. Taylor is the key to AR's development because he's not gonna be the focus for defensives. Taylor will 

Nah. You can find good running backs all over. May not be superstar but they would be ok.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe there was a reason for irsays tweet because Taylor’s agent isn’t being reasonable.

Nah. You can find good running backs all over. May not be superstar but they would be ok.

Why would defenses be scared of Zach Moss? They'll just blitz the hell out of AR. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I doubt you are going to find a team that is likely going to have a first round pick to trade for him.  It would be a team like the Bills who probably aren’t going to have a high first round pick.

Well they did say random, If the deal really happened it probably wouldn't be to a team in the running for the top pick.  A bad team wouldnt be that all in on trading a first for a rb 

I just did a random # generator 1-32 and got 6.  Id probably take that, not sure if any real team would offer a first at all 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A good agent recognizes the market value. Seems these agents don’t understand the market value for running backs. Neither of those guys would get that deal today.

I disagree. If I am a player and my agent tells me to take less and I see players like Chubb, McCaffrey, and Henry cashing in and my agent settled for less, I don't know if he would still be representing me.

Serious question: If the market value for RBs is so bad, how did McCaffrey and Henry get the contracts they did?

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This makes sense

Which will cause any running back to have wider open lanes.

Seems Holder took it as I did, it’s was more about some of the ideas being thrown around to get RBs more money and changing the CBA than it was directly at JT.  With that when you are the Owner of a team with the next running back looking at big contract people are going to link it to your running back situation.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I disagree. If I am a player and my agent tells me to take less and I see players like Chubb, McCaffrey, and Henry cashing in and my agent settled for less, I don't know if he would still be representing me.

Serious question: If the market value for RBs is so bad, how did McCaffrey and Henry get the contracts they did?

They signed contract before Owners really decided they wanted to lower what running backs get paid.  That’s why running backs and their agents are pushing back.  They are arguing we should get contract based off what other top running backs like McCaffrey and Henry got paid, not less.  That’s was my point when I said it’s an agent job to get his client paid as much as he can.  As you pointed out it’s not his job to go oh you went to reset the market for running backs?  Cool let me lower my asking price.  As you correctly pointed out if an agent did that they would be fired.  It would be one things if the agents were going we want QB money, that would be unreasonable and not understanding their position value.  Saying my client deserves a contract like other top backs have gotten and we aren’t interested in helping you reset the running back market is 100% their job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No one is saying take less. They should get market value and that is just how the position is. I can’t remember when those guys signed those contracts but the market has changed. 

Taylor should get something similar to Chubb. I think they are pretty close in stats and how they play. What we don’t know is if this agent is being ridiculous with his demands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one is saying take less. They should get market value and that is just how the position is. I can’t remember when those guys signed those contracts but the market has changed. 

Taylor should get something similar to Chubb. I think they are pretty close in stats and how they play. What we don’t know is if this agent is being ridiculous with his demands.

https://theathletic.com/4714612/2023/07/24/browns-nick-chubb-running-backs-training-camp/

the Owners are saying take less that’s the issue in players minds.  Chubb will get paid $14 this year on a contract signed in 2021.  Barkley is getting a deal worth $11 million signed this year if he hits all his incentives.  That’s a $3 million decrease when you normally see increases with the next big players contracts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay can say what he wants. It doesn’t mean he made a good move here.

I think these agents are doing their clients a disservice.

Irsay is literally on the NFL owners finance committee.  It is completely legit and not at all out of line for him to comment on something as egregious as Implying the current CBA was negotiated in "bad faith" whatever a Malki Kawa is, doesn't seem to be looking out for anything other than its own commission % and is either massively stupid, or shortsighted and inexperienced.  Seriously .... Has anyone ever seen Milky Kawasaki and Victor Oladipo's crappy reps in the same place at the same time?  I'm suspicious.... Lol

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://theathletic.com/4714612/2023/07/24/browns-nick-chubb-running-backs-training-camp/

the Owners are saying take less that’s the issue.  Chubb will get paid $14 this year on a contract signed in 2021.  Barkley is getting a deal worth $11 million signed this year if he hits all his incentives.  That’s a $3 million decrease when you normally see increases.  

I agree.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can’t remember when those guys signed those contracts but the market has changed. 

Are you sure? Rookie Bijan Robinson is getting the 4th highest guaranteed money (more than Barkley and other RBs).

Rookie Bijan Robinson, who's fourth in guaranteed money at $21,958,544, hasn't played an NFL snap yet. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkley-signing-new-deal-with-giants-a-timeline-of-contract-drama-how-both-sides-reached-agreement/

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

I agree.

Are you sure? Rookie Bijan Robinson is getting the 4th highest guaranteed money (more than Barkley and other RBs).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkley-signing-new-deal-with-giants-a-timeline-of-contract-drama-how-both-sides-reached-agreement/

Can’t compare rookie contract to second contracts. It’s the second contracts where owners and GM are nervous to pay a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can’t compare rookie contract to second contracts. It’s the second contracts where owners and GM are nervous to pay a lot.

As they should be..... One RARELY pays a premium for a used vehicle, no matter how great the first 150,000 miles were.  Just because there are a few suckers out there who pay ridiculous prices hoping for the next 150,000 to be better.....that means everyone should be so stupid?  

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Usually first contracts for RBs are less than second year ones. Check out how much rookie RBs have made in the past. Have they been more than second year contracts?

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This makes sense

Which will cause any running back to have wider open lanes.

Yea. Good luck running against a team that doesn't think a Rookie QB can beat them with his arm

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Rookie pay scale has nothing to do with the market.

He was a top 10 pick and he is getting paid what his slot dictates, and all 1st rounders last year had their whole contract guaranteed and the trend is continuing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Usually first contracts for RBs are less than second year ones. Check out how much rookie RBs have made in the past. Have they been more than second year contracts?

Running backs typically are not drafted super high. Owners and GM are just at the point they would just rather draft a new RB every 3 or 4 years then paying that second contract. Colts have a rookie QB so I think they should just lay him.

The last RB to be drafted in the first round was Najee Harris. He signed a 4-contract for a total of $16M, not all guaranteed. Bijan Robinson got nearly $22 million in guaranteed money. (Both rookies with no wear and tear in the NFL when they signed their contracts.)