Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Sills

holeymoley99

Most people who follow the club closely would say the weakest spot on the club is Right Guard and Will Fries.....some hoped Emil Ekiyor would push him (Myself included) but that didnt happen and Sills was brought in. S.S. is very familiar with him from last season, how long will it take for a change at this spot IF it does happen ? I think it bears close watching

I've been aware of Josh Sills since at least last season, but I think in my mind I was considering him to be more noteworthy than he actually is. He didn't play for the Eagles at all last year. I like him as a prospect, and I hope he can add something to the team, but I've decided to pump the brakes on any expectations for him.

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Most people who follow the club closely would say the weakest spot on the club is Right Guard and Will Fries.....some hoped Emil Ekiyor would push him (Myself included) but that didnt happen and Sills was brought in. S.S. is very familiar with him from last season, how long will it take for a change at this spot IF it does happen ? I think it bears close watching

I think it will ultimately be the call of the OL coach.   Let’s not forget the Colts claimed Sills after being cut.   The Colts didn’t trade for him as they did with Pryor two years.    If Sills shows more than Fries then I’d expect him to get the start.   I’m just not expecting that to happen unless Fries gets hurt.  

This is an extremely GOOD signing if you ask me.  Definitely a potential starter with Josh Sills.

You may want to look into the actual reasons why Sills did not play and was cut. 

He had charges of kidnapping and rape....which he was found not guilty of by the way in an act of extortion By the female and her mother.  He had just been found not guilty recently right before we picked him up. 

He would have played in last years Super Bowl AND all of last season if the trial wasnt long and postponed and drawn out....and he was cut BEFORE his verdict.  Extremely shrewd move by our staff if you ask me.

It’s Fries job right now.  So far no one else has been able to dislodge him.  It’s obvious the coaches think he’s fully capable of handling the position.  They see him perform every day we don’t.  So right now all we have to do is trust the coaches and watch them play.  I’m expecting him to play well and be our RG going forward.  Time will tell of course.  But unless he suffers an injury he’s our starter and I’m pulling for him.

3 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

This is an extremely GOOD signing if you ask me.  Definitely a potential starter with Josh Sills.

You may want to look into the actual reasons why Sills did not play and was cut. 

He had charges of kidnapping and rape....which he was found not guilty of by the way in an act of extortion By the female and her mother.  He had just been found not guilty recently right before we picked him up. 

He would have played in last years Super Bowl AND all of last season if the trial wasnt long and postponed and drawn out....and he was cut BEFORE his verdict.

I think he was cut because he couldn’t make the team.  They have a very good OL.  Hopefully he would have gotten snaps last year but no one really knows for sure.  He’s a prospect with a new opportunity with the Colts.  He looks promising.  Let’s see what happens.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he was cut because he couldn’t make the team.  They have a very good OL.  Hopefully he would have gotten snaps last year but no one really knows for sure.  He’s a prospect with a new opportunity with the Colts.  He looks promising.  Let’s see what happens.

Yep, he was welcomed back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-training-camp-why-nick-sirianni-welcomed-back-josh-sills-after-acquittal/531477/%3famp=1

Per article above:

"The Eagles never hesitated to bring Josh Sills back, and on Sunday Nick Sirianni explained why.

“My experience with Josh has been nothing but positive,” Sirianni said before the open practice at the Linc. “He's been a great teammate and done his job and guys love him on this team. 

"So my experience with him has been great. We're happy to have him back.”"

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I've been aware of Josh Sills since at least last season, but I think in my mind I was considering him to be more noteworthy than he actually is. He didn't play for the Eagles at all last year. I like him as a prospect, and I hope he can add something to the team, but I've decided to pump the brakes on any expectations for him.

Edit...

Nevermind, for some reason I had thought his issues were preseason last year.

50 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard made a mistake letting glow leave. he had already overpaid the left guard and center. now he is fishing in the low dollar barrel, it is very hard to find a quality starter in that barrel. it does not look good for the oline

Hey, this take isn't tired out yet at all nice horse!  Wait....what's that?  It's dead?

4 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Have the Colts even thought about whats his face from Denver? Risner I think it is!? I heard he was interested in coming to Indy but I guess it isnt mutual!

His PFF score was only 3pts better than Fries, last year.

We also only have $6-$7m in cap space.

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard made a mistake letting glow leave. he had already overpaid the left guard and center. now he is fishing in the low dollar barrel, it is very hard to find a quality starter in that barrel. it does not look good for the oline

You do realize that Glow was a mid-season signing from that same "low dollar barrel".............

On December 18, 2017, Glowinski was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts.

After beginning the 2018 season as a backup, Glowinski was named the starting right guard in Week 6 following a season-ending injury to Matt Slauson. He then started nine of the final 11 games.

On January 29, 2019, Glowinski signed a three-year, $18 million contract extension with the Colts through the 2021 season.

4 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I am beginning to think you don't like Ballard  

Anyone?

Bueller?  Bueller?

6 hours ago, EasyE said:

If you don't mind can you explain how the Colts dropped that low from over $20 million to this? Thanks 

Off-season cap rules fell off and signed 17 players to practice squad.

For reference, only top 51 contracts count against the cap in the off-season.

Now top 53 + practice squad counts.

Add some dead money from players released/placed on IR and that's where we are.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You do realize that Glow was a mid-season signing from that same "low dollar barrel".............

On December 18, 2017, Glowinski was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts.

After beginning the 2018 season as a backup, Glowinski was named the starting right guard in Week 6 following a season-ending injury to Matt Slauson. He then started nine of the final 11 games.

On January 29, 2019, Glowinski signed a three-year, $18 million contract extension with the Colts through the 2021 season.

Glow was decent. He had 4-5 good games a season. Good matcheups for him I suspect. He would have an equal number of not very good games.

And he hasn't been" good" in NY. 

The extra roughly 20 lbs he carries over Fries hopefully figures into our short yardage attack plans. 

It is possible one of them is our starting RG for 2024 and beyond.

But I have zero doubt plan A is to have that position manned at a high level  ASAP.  And the reason a mediocrity like Risner gets no traction.

There are not 150 starting caliber OL across the league. Many teams have a spot on their OL manned by a backup worthy player that needs upgraded. Ours is RG. Hopefully someone steps up and is a quality starter, if not the Colts will keep bringing in guys cheap and on rookie deals until they can find someone. It will become harder and harder as players develop and the cap constrains the team. I have no idea if Sills or anyone else on the roster is that guy. I know it will get interesting next year bc I believe we will need a RG and C.  Just part of the process in building a competitive team…we will always have holes and need a bit of luck and skill to fill them 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

The extra roughly 20 lbs he carries over Fries hopefully figures into our short yardage attack plans. 

It is possible one of them is our starting RG for 2024 and beyond.

But I have zero doubt plan A is to have that position manned at a high level  ASAP.  And the reason a mediocrity like Risner gets no traction.

I’m fully expecting to seeing him out there on the short yardage situations.  20 lbs should figure into the calculations.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Glow was decent. He had 4-5 good games a season. Good matcheups for him I suspect. He would have an equal number of not very good games.

And he hasn't been" good" in NY. 

Maybe so, his ups and downs were not the point of my post. It was the ignorance of the poster in regards to how a player is acquired……Johhny Unitas was signed off the street as well! Jeff Saturday was as well. A good GM doesn’t care where they are found, they care how they play once they’re in the building…..

19 hours ago, nyyankeechris said:

He would have played in last years Super Bowl AND all of last season if the trial wasnt long and postponed and drawn out....and he was cut BEFORE his verdict.  Extremely shrewd move by our staff if you ask me.

It's great that Sills' baseless charges were dropped and he's free to play in the NFL. Good for him. 

But, that DOESN'T automatically mean an UDFA like him WOULD HAVE played ALL season and THE SB in a historically very strong Philly OL! 

Are you kidding yourself? 

Are you just saying that because Colts got him in waivers?

What's the basis? He's not played an  NFL snap, he was undrafted. What exactly says he would've played in Philly OL and thereby qualifies to start in Colts OL now? 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's great that Sills' baseless charges were dropped and he's free to play in the NFL. Good for him. 

He was acquitted, which is certainly good for him, but I don't know how anybody can know the charges were baseless. Rape can be hard to prove. The accusations were made the day after the alleged incident in college, not later after Sills had money as a pro player.

I'm not saying he's guilty. I'm saying it's hard to know for certain what happened. Viking - I know you weren't the poster to initially assert these were baseless charges - I'm not trying to criticize or disagree with you.

From coverage of the trial: "The woman was allegedly strangled and bitten, leaving marks.

They are identifying the victim only by the initials M.M.

Tuesday, her cousin, who spent that evening with her, took the stand for the prosecution.

Breanna Woods testified that a group of friends had been out to several bars, and at one point, Josh Sills met up with them. They knew him from high school.

That night, Woods said Sills bought them shots of whisky, and they became, quote, “even tipsyer.”

Later, Woods said Sills offered to drive them home, and they got in his truck.

She said Sills was squeezing M.M.’s leg on the way home, and it was awkward.

When they arrived at Breanna Woods’ house–where M.M. was staying–Breanna got out and M.M. said, quote, “I’ll be in in a minute.” Woods said she went in and went to sleep.

When she awoke, it was daylight and she said M.M. was there, quote…”upset and shook up.”

M.M. was taken to the hospital.

The prosecution says Sills restrained M.M., wouldn’t let her out of the truck, repeatedly pushing her head down, forcing her to perform oral sex.

The defense says it was consensual sex, not rape.

The deputy who answered the call at the hospital said M.M. had a mark on her leg, and was, quote, “crying and sad.”"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtrf.com/josh-sills-trial/josh-sills-trial-day-2-ohio-valley-athlete-hears-opening-statements/amp/

"Brooke Bing took the stand Wednesday in Guernsey County. She testified about the night where her, the victim, and Sills were together and Sills allegedly had forced the victim to perform a sex act on him in his truck. The three were a part of a group that went out for night of drinking back in December 2019.

Sills, a former WVU Mountaineer football player, and current NFL player for the Philadelphia Eagles, is accused of preventing the victim from leaving his truck and forcing her to perform oral sex.

Bing said when they arrived at a friend’s house after going out that night and her and the victim were in a room, the victim was “distraught” and “upset.”

“She looked like a wreck and I was trying to calm her down,” Bing said Wednesday during her testimony.

Bing said it took a lot for the victim to tell her what had allegedly happened. According to Bing, the victim also showed Bing marks on her legs.

“She said that Josh Sills had raped her,” Bing testified. “She said when she pulled up on the driveway, he held her head down on him and she couldn’t breathe.”

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/08/02/friend-of-alleged-rape-victim-in-josh-sills-case-gives-emotional-testimony-during-trial/

Also: "Following the verdict, Attorney General Dave Yost said in a statement that he still believes the victim in the case.

"In America, criminal convictions require proof beyond a reasonable doubt," Yost said. "The jury did not see it, and I thank them for doing their duty under the law."

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2023/08/04/philadelphia-eagles-lineman-josh-sills-found-not-guilty-rape-trial-guernsey-county-ohio-cambridge/70532120007/

We shall see what we shall see - at a LOT of positions this season.

Last year everyone was criticizing Bernhard Raimann - and - he is beginning to develop in to a solid left tackle.

You have to give players a time to learn their position IN THE NFL - and - then grow in that position as a part of the entire unit.

Best wishes to our entire team this season!!

18 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am beginning to think you don't like Ballard  

Anyone?

Bueller?  Bueller?

he is just not a good gm, he has turned a winning team into a losing team and it is getting worse after 6 long years. his roster building method clearly does not work.  nothing to do with him personally. he is just a poor gm.

20 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he is just not a good gm, he has turned a winning team into a losing team and it is getting worse after 6 long years. his roster building method clearly does not work.  nothing to do with him personally. he is just a poor gm.

I don't think he falls in to the "poor GM" category - THAT would be Ryan Grigson - who's roster strategy turned the team in to a "dumpster fire".

Archived