Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Every snap for AR vs Bills

CR91

A lot of up and down, but overall I like what I see. Strong and poise in the pocket, didn't let pressure bother him, and made plays with his legs. Int looked like miscommunication, but I rather that be the issue then a bad read. Some passes sailed which will happen, but threw some nice balls to Granson and Pierce if he could have come down with it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Strong and poise in the pocket, didn't let pressure bother him

You could definitely see that quality about him. He doesn't look frazzled at all, looks like he should be playing with the big boys even though he's young.

Let's hope all the mental stuff comes with experience and playing. Definitely a new era at least so that's cool.

• Like 1

So in watching it, a lot of what I said the other day in my practice recap holds true. His misses almost always are high. I think that can be adjusted. His footwork while better still needs work.

Also, I must say that for a rookie and even a veteran, AR shows an uncanny pocket presence. He got out of more than one would be sack. Im not sure that I’ve seen that level of pocket presence in a rookie QB in a while. Not even Luck was at that level. Honestly, looking back to 2018, I’m not sure any of the QBs we’ve had including rivers and Ryan had that level of sense when they were with us. 

That said, that needs to translate into throw a ways vs trying to play hero ball and getting lit up, which he did more than once. So good with the bad. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Rewatching this... he still has the tendency to throw high on his intermediate throws. There were 2 passes to Pittman that were high, he caught one but second one was too high(and there was a penalty on the play). Pierce needs to catch those... even on the pass before the big drop where they called a pass interference on the sideline - this pass still needs to be caught... even with the flag, because on another day this pass interference won't be called and the pass is still good enough. That's 2 great passes for about 50 yards wiped out by shaky WR. 

On second watch - the OL was actually good. They got stoned on the 3d and 4th and 1 where everybody knew what we were going to do, but other than that... I thought they were better than OK. I would say they won their matchup against Bills starting DL. 

I noticed Q was back to his old self in helping his teammates up and having his QB’s back. The win/loss column might not show it this year, but the atmosphere with the team is already different in a positive way. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, stitches said:

Rewatching this... he still has the tendency to throw high on his intermediate throws. There were 2 passes to Pittman that were high, he caught one but second one was too high(and there was a penalty on the play). Pierce needs to catch those... even on the pass before the big drop where they called a pass interference on the sideline - this pass still needs to be caught... even with the flag, because on another day this pass interference won't be called and the pass is still good enough. That's 2 great passes for about 50 yards wiped out by shaky WR. 

On second watch - the OL was actually good. They got stoned on the 3d and 4th and 1 where everybody knew what we were going to do, but other than that... I thought they were better than OK. I would say they won their matchup against Bills starting DL. 

Still?  Dammit.  He's had 9 practices in his rookie training camp.....I cannot believe he's still doing that.  Is he ever gonna learn?

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

Still?  Dammit.  He's had 9 practices in his rookie training camp.....I cannot believe he's still doing that.  Is he ever gonna learn?

Takes more than 9 practices  to fix that. Heck luck would miss  high alot of his career.

To the detriment of the naysayers, I’m going to change their narrative from “he only played 13 games in college, how can he make it in the NFL” to “how can he look so poised and confident after only 13 games in college…didn’t expect that!”.  

Great foundation to grow from…I’m looking forward to the journey.

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

So in watching it, a lot of what I said the other day in my practice recap holds true. His misses almost always are high. I think that can be adjusted. His footwork while better still needs work.

Also, I must say that for a rookie and even a veteran, AR shows an uncanny pocket presence. He got out of more than one would be sack. Im not sure that I’ve seen that level of pocket presence in a rookie QB in a while. Not even Luck was at that level. Honestly, looking back to 2018, I’m not sure any of the QBs we’ve had including rivers and Ryan had that level of sense when they were with us. 

That said, that needs to translate into throw a ways vs trying to play hero ball and getting lit up, which he did more than once. So good with the bad. 

When I started checking out draft QBs in the offseason, that's the first thing that stood out to me. The pocket presence. Natural. That's work and also a gift, he just has a feel for the pocket that' s part of who he is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think big Q and Nelson are about to show some that wanted to write them off after last year and called their contracts mistakes that they bet on the wrong horse.

I would double down on that sentiment.

It's funny how some of the media guys are harping on his accuracy. Yes he throws high on two passes, but if Pierce had hauled in that TD pass AR still would've had a 66.7% completion rate. I know that's just looking at the numbers.

There's definitely something to work on for AR and others - the Int was bad on several levels from several players. He had a poorly placed pass to Granson who nearly caught it and then Pierce had 2 should-have-been catches where one was called back because of PI. Also, the two high passes to Pitt. Still, he did way better than I expected and I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he keeps it up he starts week 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It's funny how some of the media guys are harping on his accuracy. Yes he throws high on two passes, but if Pierce had hauled in that TD pass AR still would've had a 66.7% completion rate. I know that's just looking at the numbers.

There's definitely something to work on for AR and others - the Int was bad on several levels from several players. He had a poorly placed pass to Granson who nearly caught it and then Pierce had 2 should-have-been catches where one was called back because of PI. Also, the two high passes to Pitt. Still, he did way better than I expected and I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he keeps it up he starts week 1.

Agreed but if he continues to throw high, there is a good chance those r picked in the NFL. Better to miss low as they end up in the dirt. I am very impressed by his attitude after the pick. This kid does appear to have a very cool demeanor about him. It's funny, but that is where he differs from Manning. Manning always seemed to be wound tight, lol.

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I never go back and say what throws should have been caught to boost his percentages. For all the should have been caught, there are also balls that are uncatchable except a wr makes a circus catch. They all even out in the end. 

On 8/12/2023 at 11:41 PM, stitches said:

Good to see the Oline playing better. What is frustrating for me is this. This Oline seems to struggle mightily in shirt yardage situations and this goes back at least the last years. However, the make up of these Oline suggests that this should be a strength. Q, Kelly and Smith when he is healthy. They were all mailers coming out of college

32 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Good to see the Oline playing better. What is frustrating for me is this. This Oline seems to struggle mightily in shirt yardage situations and this goes back at least the last years. However, the make up of these Oline suggests that this should be a strength. Q, Kelly and Smith when he is healthy. They were all mailers coming out of college

This could take care of itself in the regular season.  We had some success with Pittman coming in motion and pushing on the QB sneak play.  That should be the go-to play with AR on 3&1 and 4&1..

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

This could take care of itself in the regular season.  We had some success with Pittman coming in motion and pushing on the QB sneak play.  That should be the go-to play with AR on 3&1 and 4&1..

What I am saying is this. With the amount of assets in this Oline, it should not be struggling in short yardage situations. I do expect this to not  b a problem as season progresses. With Richardson, teams won't know what is coming.

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

This post aged like wine.

• Like 1