Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN reporting D. Hopkins to Tenn

NewColtsFan

Good signing. We will see how much he has left in the tank. This could either go well or it could go bad if Hopkins has trouble staying healthy.

That is one thing I do like about the Titans FO, they always take gambles to try to improve. Luckily, they just have never had the QB to finish the deal in the playoffs. I say "Luckily" because being a Colts fan I dislike the Titans. Tannehill has played well for them at times but on the grand scale of things he is just a little above average. Mid-pack of QB's in the NFL, 16ish or so, JMO. A team can get away with that if they have a dominant defense like the Ravens had in 2000 with Trent or Bucs had in 2002 with Brad Johnson. It will be interesting to see if Levis will get a shot this year at starting. I am not a big believer in Levis either but he could surprise people. My uncle who is a huge Titans fan (he lives in KY and has been a Titans fan since 1999) is happy today (he called me boasting) but he still thinks his QB room is average. He doesn't trust Tannehill. We will see if Henry is still top notch too, he is the engine that makes them run in reality. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good signing. We will see how much he has left in the tank. This could either go well or it could go bad if Hopkins has trouble staying healthy.

That is one thing I do like about the Titans FO, they always take gambles to try to improve. Luckily, they just have never had the QB to finish the deal in the playoffs. I say "Luckily" because being a Colts fan I dislike the Titans. Tannehill has played well for them at times but on the grand scale of things he is just a little above average. Mid-pack of QB's in the NFL, 16ish or so, JMO. A team can get away with that if they have a dominant defense like the Ravens had in 2000 with Trent or Bucs had in 2002 with Brad Johnson. It will be interesting to see if Levis will get a shot this year at starting. I am not a big believer in Levis either but he could surprise people. My uncle who is a huge Titans fan (he lives in KY and has been a Titans fan since 1999) is happy today (he called me boasting) but he still thinks his QB room is average. He doesn't trust Tannehill. We will see if Henry is still top notch too, he is the engine that makes them run in reality. 

This is where the Colts now need to sign a veteran CB. The division is getting harder and I don't think we can use 3 rookie CBs to go against the AFC South, and the NFL in general. Time to sign a veteran CB, not just for experience without Rodgers, but to have someone to teach these kids how to play the position at the NFL level. The only CB with any relevance  on the field we have right now is Kenny Moore.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Age and injury history along with Tannehill, makes it not so scary.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is where the Colts now need to sign a veteran CB. The division is getting harder and I don't think we can use 3 rookie CBs to go against the AFC South, and the NFL in general. Time to sign a veteran CB, not just for experience without Rodgers, but to have someone to teach these kids how to play the position at the NFL level. The only CB with any relevance  on the field we have right now is Kenny Moore.

It is too bad we got rid of Gilmore, he played good last year. The CB position is going to be interesting this year for us, the youngsters will need to step up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Age and injury history along with Tannehill, makes it not so scary.

It is amazing how big it is for teams to have just a good QB, not even great but good compared to having a QB that is average. Going back to the 2000 season, really the only QB's that have won a SB that were average career wise have been Trent Dilfer in 2000, Brad Johnson in 2002, and Nick Foles in 2017. Even Joe Flacco had a period where he was good from 2010-2012. Flacco was great in the 2012 SB run he had. Now days if a team doesn't have at least a top 10 QB, it is really tough to win it all. 

Meh. I don't think this affects the Colts much. In theory, it makes the Titans tougher to beat this season, but we're probably not competing for the division this season anyway. So it doesn't really disrupt our timeline, even if it makes the Titans better.

And then there's the question about how much it actually helps the Titans. I think they have some significant roster issues, especially at QB. And the engine that makes their offense go is a nearly 30 year old RB who will exceed 2,000 career carries this season. Eventually, Derrick Henry won't be able to produce at a high level; there's already some efficiency slippage.

• Like 5

Decent pickup for them but hes at the age where WRs tend to start falling off and im not sure the titans have the qb play to get the most out of him.

Agree with the above, he probably helps them for a year or so but this isnt our year anyway.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh. I don't think this affects the Colts much. In theory, it makes the Titans tougher to beat this season, but we're probably not competing for the division this season anyway. So it doesn't really disrupt our timeline, even if it makes the Titans better.

And then there's the question about how much it actually helps the Titans. I think they have some significant roster issues, especially at QB. And the engine that makes their offense go is a nearly 30 year old RB who will exceed 2,000 career carries this season. Eventually, Derrick Henry won't be able to produce at a high level; there's already some efficiency slippage.

ESPN First Take is saying it came down to 2 teams. Titans or Pats. Today on the show is Woody, Tannebaum, and C. Cronin. For some reason all 3 think he should have chose the Pats. ESPN loves those Pats lmao. I disagree, as average as Tannehill can be, he is better than Mac Jones + the Titans have Henry. Titans also play in a division that they can actually win, although I think the Jags will win the division. Hopkins also took the big payday, which I don't blame him but he could've took less and went to the Chiefs for example. Only thing he hasn't accomplished is winning that ring. He isn't getting it in Tennessee. 

I have the Pats finishing last in the AFC East, Hopkins would have been in a black hole there. Pats are not better than the Bills, Jets, or even the Dolphins.

To your point, it really doesn't affect us one way or the other because I see us as a .500 team anyway and this season is about growth. For us anything more than 8 wins would be gravy IMO.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ESPN First Take is saying it came down to 2 teams. Titans or Pats. Today on the show is Woody, Tannebaum, and C. Cronin. For some reason all 3 think he should have chose the Pats. ESPN loves those Pats lmao. I disagree, as average as Tannehill can be, he is better than Mac Jones + the Titans have Henry. Titans also play in a division that they can actually win, although I think the Jags will win the division. Hopkins also took the big payday, which I don't blame him but he could've took less and went to the Chiefs for example. Only thing he hasn't accomplished is winning that ring. He isn't getting it in Tennessee. 

I have the Pats finishing last in the AFC East, Hopkins would have been in a black hole there. Pats are not better than the Bills, Jets, or even the Dolphins.

To your point, it really doesn't affect us one way or the other because I see us as a .500 team anyway and this season is about growth. For us anything more than 8 wins would be gravy IMO.

I suspect Hopkins is going to Tenn because they’re offering the most money,  perhaps by a wide margin.   Pure and simple. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I suppose everyone thinks this will make the Titans division champs...just like Julio Jones signing did.

Not me,

but I can't say I was sad when he left Houston. I got tired of him catching everything thrown his way when we played them.

I won't wish injury on him, I just hope his skills have diminished some with age.

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree that was the major factor.

When a player like Hopkins goes to the worst team by far to show interest, that typically tells me that team offered the most by far.   Not a hard and fast rule, but I think it happens more often than not. 

And I think it’s interesting that more of a market didn’t happen for Hopkins.  

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree, but also they do have some young pieces like most teams. 

They have Malik Willis and Levis in the Hangar waiting, and we can expect Tannehill to at least produce what he has been producing. Which, with Henry, has been enough to dominate the division for the last 3-5 years. 

With that being said, you're right. Even if Hopkins does ball out it doesn't really have much of an effect on us. It will be interesting to see our young CBs matchup with vets. I'm wondering if we sign a vet CB before the season, or if we just let Kenny be the vet.

Is Kenny Moore back to heavy slot duty? Brents and Dallis Flowers outside? 

With Rush competing to move up? The rest depth? 

This is going to be a fun season to watch because there will be so many positions with intrigue. Am I happy with what we've accomplished over the last 5 years? Certainly not. But at least we have an exciting roster to start this season. 

6 hours ago, AKB said:

I agree, but also they do have some young pieces like most teams. 

They have Malik Willis and Levis in the Hangar waiting, and we can expect Tannehill to at least produce what he has been producing. Which, with Henry, has been enough to dominate the division for the last 3-5 years. 

With that being said, you're right. Even if Hopkins does ball out it doesn't really have much of an effect on us. It will be interesting to see our young CBs matchup with vets. I'm wondering if we sign a vet CB before the season, or if we just let Kenny be the vet.

Is Kenny Moore back to heavy slot duty? Brents and Dallis Flowers outside? 

With Rush competing to move up? The rest depth? 

This is going to be a fun season to watch because there will be so many positions with intrigue. Am I happy with what we've accomplished over the last 5 years? Certainly not. But at least we have an exciting roster to start this season. 

I don't think Tannehill can be counted on for much, and even if he does what he's done the last two years, that's not great. And I think Henry has to fall off soon, don't know when, but it's coming.

They're definitely competing for the division, I don't think the Jags are super dangerous, but I think they're better than the Titans. And yeah, we're not in the mix, neither are the Texans. I'm fine with that. Like you say, we have a lot to look forward to, but it's a developmental year for sure.

DB is definitely going to be a position to watch. I felt that way before Rodgers got caught, now even more so. I kind of don't mind just rolling with the young guys we have this season, but unless someone really excels, it's probably a position of need next year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Tannehill can be counted on for much, and even if he does what he's done the last two years, that's not great. And I think Henry has to fall off soon, don't know when, but it's coming.

They're definitely competing for the division, I don't think the Jags are super dangerous, but I think they're better than the Titans. And yeah, we're not in the mix, neither are the Texans. I'm fine with that. Like you say, we have a lot to look forward to, but it's a developmental year for sure.

DB is definitely going to be a position to watch. I felt that way before Rodgers got caught, now even more so. I kind of don't mind just rolling with the young guys we have this season, but unless someone really excels, it's probably a position of need next year.

do we have any way of knowing if Ballard went so heavy on corners because they knew about the rogers situation? 

Or do you think they were gonna draft that many anyways

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Henry is going to be 30 by seasons end so that engine is going to need some synthetic oil. Tannehill had his shots from 2019-2021, he just choked it away in the playoffs. If Levis looks good at all in camp and in preseason, I would almost turned to him and I think Levis could be a bust.

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

do we have any way of knowing if Ballard went so heavy on corners because they knew about the rogers situation? 

Or do you think they were gonna draft that many anyways

I don't know. At the time I thought it should be a priority position, especially after Gilmore was traded. I haven't seen anything that indicates the team was aware of the gambling situation long before the news came out, but it's possible.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Henry is going to be 30 this year so that engine is going to need some synthetic oil. Tannehill had his shots from 2019-2021, he just choked it away in the playoffs. If Levis looks good at all in camp and in preseason, I would almost turned to him and I think Levis could be a bust.

Same for Willis.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know. At the time I thought it should be a priority position, especially after Gilmore was traded. I haven't seen anything that indicates the team was aware of the gambling situation long before the news came out, but it's possible.

I agree

On 7/18/2023 at 10:14 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Props to.Tennessee.

What a concept they have. When your weak at a position and a very good player at that said position becomes a FA, you open your wallet and go after him. haha

Yes!  And the weakness is due to trading away AJ Brown.  Props to Tennessee! 

• Thanks 1