Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well it's from George Bremer

well….   THIS link — which is NEW — is from George Bremer.   The one I responded to  — NFL Rookie Watch — was not.  

Id strongly caution not to read too much into comments this early.   It’s just been rookies for a few days.   Nothing else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

well….   THIS link — which is NEW — is from George Bremer.   The one I responded to  — NFL Rookie Watch — was not.  

Id strongly caution not to read too much into comments this early.   It’s just been rookies for a few days.   Nothing else. 

I was just sharing a tweet. I didn't make a comment about it.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 11:38 PM, Blueblazes said:

Hope  you're right, but I'm thinking more like 15  TDs passing, 18 INTs  and 8 rushing TDs. This gets most benched, but we'll keep this and see who's closer to right.  Hope you are.

look i wanted the colts to draft levis  really bad but i am gonna support richardson and give him a fair chance .   being raw he probably will struggle year 1 but its fair to give him at least 3 years .  if its his third year and richardson stinks i will be the first one calling for him to get benched .   i am not gonna be overly harsh his first two years i am just happy to have a home grown QB instead of old QB rentals every year

• Like 5

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

What? I wasn’t calling Pete Carroll weak or feeble. You make me sound like an ageist haha 

I just mentioned it because there has been a lot of smoke around him retiring soon. 

He’s 71. I believe the oldest NFL HC was Halas, who retired after his age 72.

If he wants to keep going, I’m all for it. I just don’t buy him drafting AR when Geno is going to be there for at least two years (given the contract structure). 

okay, the way I see it, Carroll is older than other head coaches but he also looks healthy and energetic to continue for few years. One of those guys whose age doesn't seem to show much. 

If he's gonna retire soon, I'd expect him to take swings at a franchise QB (could've traded up this year) and not end his career with geno, who may or may not repeat last year's performance. 

Geno being there for two years shouldn't stop a franchise drafting a franchise QB if they find one available at their draft slot without having to trade up. Geno isn't going to be there for long term and finding an elite QB will make Seahawks compete in weaker NFC. I think they have their eyes on next draft class for QB and let it play out this draft. 

Turns out Tuesday would appear to have been the first day where there were more players than just rookies.   I did see a video % if Sam Ehlinger near AR, and he’s not a rookie.   But I don’t see any story in the main page that talks about veterans at practice, or their reaction to seeing AR for the first time.   Those would be the natural stories to post.   

So it’s hard to get much of a read on attendance at this practice.  Perhaps we will learn more this week?  

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Turns out Tuesday would appear to have been the first day where there were more players than just rookies.   I did see a video % if Sam Ehlinger near AR, and he’s not a rookie.   But I don’t see any story in the main page that talks about veterans at practice, or their reaction to seeing AR for the first time.   Those would be the natural stories to post.   

So it’s hard to get much of a read on attendance at this practice.  Perhaps we will learn more this week?  

Yeah, you can see all QBs in that video - Richardson, Minshew and Ehlinger. They are allowed to be in the building this week, but not sure if they are allowed to work on-field with coaches. The official OTAs are next week and I bet we will see more videos/pictures with everybody there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

okay, the way I see it, Carroll is older than other head coaches but he also looks healthy and energetic to continue for few years. One of those guys whose age doesn't seem to show much. 

If he's gonna retire soon, I'd expect him to take swings at a franchise QB (could've traded up this year) and not end his career with geno, who may or may not repeat last year's performance. 

Geno being there for two years shouldn't stop a franchise drafting a franchise QB if they find one available at their draft slot without having to trade up. Geno isn't going to be there for long term and finding an elite QB will make Seahawks compete in weaker NFC. I think they have their eyes on next draft class for QB and let it play out this draft. 

I don’t know…if he was going to retire soon…I think he would prefer to grab the #2 non-QB in the draft (or maybe even #1 on their board was still there), as opposed to a QB. 

But if they have their eyes on next year, then they definitely weren’t taking AR.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We might get some media stuff today. Vets and rookies started practicing together yesterday. There should be some pressers. Not sure if media gets to watch.

• Thanks 1

We're going to hear a bunch of glowingly positive stuff about Richardson -- and the other rookies -- all through summer. It might be legit, it might be embellished, whatever. We won't really know anything until training camp, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

We're going to hear a bunch of glowingly positive stuff about Richardson -- and the other rookies -- all through summer. It might be legit, it might be embellished, whatever. We won't really know anything until training camp, though.

Agreed. Better than hearing worries and negative things, but still doesn't say much. For example, no idea how Bremer got that idea that the Colts are super impressed with Richardson's pocket movement in rookie minicamp. :D Are they even doing fake 11-on-11, let alone non-red-shirted action where you can actually see his pocket movement? And I'm saying that while believing Richardson's pocket movement is the best in this class. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agreed. Better than hearing worries and negative things, but still doesn't say much. For example, no idea how Bremer got that idea that the Colts are super impressed with Richardson's pocket movement in rookie minicamp. :D Are they even doing fake 11-on-11, let alone non-red-shirted action where you can actually see his pocket movement. And I'm saying that while believing Richardson's pocket movement is the best in this class. 

Like a lot of "reports," this one is kind of mixing a lot of so-called information together, painting an unclear picture that leaves a lot to the imagination of the reader.

What I read is that the Colts are impressed by his pocket awareness. Doesn't specifically say 'during camp,' so that could refer to what they see on tape. In fact, it mentions things he showed at Florida. But they could be running drills with simulated pass rush -- waving cones or pads around him to simulate a pocket. 

Then it says that he showed off high level play making during camp. Which, no surprise there.

And the main point that I took is that Bremer watched him during a camp practice, and Bremer felt that he's not as raw as expected. I didn't get that the Colts feel he's not as raw as expected. Although, after spending a couple weeks working with him on the playbook, maybe the team could be feeling good about how he's handling the information.

Would be concerning to hear 'Richardson is really struggling,' but that never happens. Levis apparently "dominated" rookie camp; Bryce Young made a 'great first impression'; Stroud's 'knowledge is crazy'; even Hooker is apparently a 'great leader' and 'electric to be around,' and he can't even practice yet. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Like a lot of "reports," this one is kind of mixing a lot of so-called information together, painting an unclear picture that leaves a lot to the imagination of the reader.

What I read is that the Colts are impressed by his pocket awareness. Doesn't specifically say 'during camp,' so that could refer to what they see on tape. In fact, it mentions things he showed at Florida. But they could be running drills with simulated pass rush -- waving cones or pads around him to simulate a pocket. 

Then it says that he showed off high level play making during camp. Which, no surprise there.

And the main point that I took is that Bremer watched him during a camp practice, and Bremer felt that he's not as raw as expected. I didn't get that the Colts feel he's not as raw as expected. Although, after spending a couple weeks working with him on the playbook, maybe the team could be feeling good about how he's handling the information.

Would be concerning to hear 'Richardson is really struggling,' but that never happens. Levis apparently "dominated" rookie camp; Bryce Young made a 'great first impression'; Stroud's 'knowledge is crazy'; even Hooker is apparently a 'great leader' and 'electric to be around,' and he can't even practice yet. 

BTW do we know just how verbose the offense Steichen likes will be? 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW do we know just how verbose the offense Steichen likes will be? 

I think I found a play call clip of his, and it was pretty verbose, like most WCO. But that was back during the coaching search, so not sure if it was him or someone else.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think I found a play call clip of his, and it was pretty verbose, like most WCO. But that was back during the coaching search, so not sure if it was him or someone else.

I think Richardson mentioned somewhere that they are more verbose than he's used to, but I didn't expect it to be WCO type of playcalls. I just found this article from 2018 about Cam complaining about lengthy playcalls in Norv Turner's offense... so it's probably similar in Steichen's since he considers him a mentor... 

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/30853/cam-newton-not-alone-saying-calling-a-play-shouldnt-be-a-paragraph

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

^ Another installment of Hicks' series on empty personnel sets the Colts are likely to run a lot of this year for Richardson... 

I like the creativity, but I’m not sure Kelly is good enough to pull off some of these plays anymore. We’ll see I guess. 

On 5/15/2023 at 6:38 AM, Blueblazes said:

Hope  you're right, but I'm thinking more like 15  TDs passing, 18 INTs  and 8 rushing TDs. This gets most benched, but we'll keep this and see who's closer to right.  Hope you are.

On 5/15/2023 at 1:53 PM, DiogoSales said:

Agree on that, but the point is:

The NFL will take your best shot away, and thats running, of course he and JT are too talent so they will eventually move the ball, but everybody will dare him to thrown, just like it is with Lamar..

Can our OL be better to a point that we will run even when everybody knows it?

Can our scheme/design of plays be so simple that will allow all those freak athletes to just react and play?

If we yes for those, it will be a fun year, if not, we will a lot growing pains and that's ok to be honest.

Being really cold and calculated, I like the Staff choices and the draft choices, so I'm here for the ride, good or bad.

On 5/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, shasta519 said:

I mean...if you have a 2.8% INT rate in college, you are still throwing plenty of interceptable balls. 

If that transfers over to the NFL, that is 2022 Matt Ryan and Zach Wilson territory.

I don't think a TO worthy play in college is equal to one in college. How many times do we see a college QB (even a guy like Stroud) make a throw and think..."that was awesome, but that's probably going the other way in the NFL." 

It's just such a different game at the NFL level from a passing standpoint. And that's what is going to make the next couple of seasons in the AFCS really interesting, with 3 young QBs.

But I do agree that IND will simplify the offense to try to prevent those types of plays. I think people expecting this explosive deep-passing offense need to temper their expectations.

I have to fess up a bit. I was looking through the stats for rookie QBs in the last 5 years... and more specifically the stats for QBs taken in the top 10-12 picks... 

Josh Rosen 11-14

Josh Allen 10-12

Sam Darnold 17-15

Baker Mayfield 27-14

Daniel Jones 24-12

Kyler Murray 20-12

Justin Herbert 31-10

Tua Tagovailoa 11-5

Joe Burrow 13-5

Justin Fields 7-10

Trey Lance 5-2

Trevor Lawrence 12-17

About half of them had more INTs than TDs and there really is no rhyme or reason to it... some of the best of them had more INTs than TDs as rookies. So maybe it won't be as much of a surprise if Richardson does have more INTs than TDs as a rookie... :dunno:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have to fess up a bit. I was looking through the stats for rookie QBs in the last 5 years... and more specifically the stats for QBs taken in the top 10-12 picks... 

Josh Rosen 11-14

Josh Allen 10-12

Sam Darnold 17-15

Baker Mayfield 27-14

Daniel Jones 24-12

Kyler Murray 20-12

Justin Herbert 31-10

Tua Tagovailoa 11-5

Joe Burrow 13-5

Justin Fields 7-10

Trey Lance 5-2

Trevor Lawrence 12-17

About half of them had more INTs than TDs and there really is no rhyme or reason to it... some of the best of them had more INTs than TDs as rookies. So maybe it won't be as much of a surprise if Richardson does have more INTs than TDs as a rookie... :dunno:

Did Herbert have Steichen as QB coach his rookie season? If yes, that’s encouraging. 

Edit: Steichen was the Chargers OC during the 2020 season… even better 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Josh Rosen 11-14

Josh Allen 10-12

Sam Darnold 17-15

Baker Mayfield 27-14

Daniel Jones 24-12

Kyler Murray 20-12

Justin Herbert 31-10

Tua Tagovailoa 11-5

Joe Burrow 13-5

Justin Fields 7-10

Trey Lance 5-2

Trevor Lawrence 12-17

Injury messed up burrow rookie year

Dan Graziano has a piece on the biggest QB questions for all 32 teams... here's what he writes on Richardson. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/37596898/biggest-2023-nfl-season-quarterback-questions-all-32-teams-qb-battles-contracts-rookies

Indianapolis Colts

Will Anthony Richardson be ready?

The accepted pre-draft maxim was that Richardson was a project player who would need time to develop before you could use him in NFL games. The Colts aren't so sure. They believe he has already made significant improvements to his lower-body mechanics due to the work he has done this offseason with private quarterback coach Will Hewlett. They believe they could use him in the run game now if they needed to. They're 100% confident in his character and intuitive ability to weather growing pains. They aren't going to rush him into the starting role if they think doing so would hurt him or set him back, but they also aren't going to hold him out of the role just for the sake of doing so. Don't be surprised if Richardson plays early in the season, maybe even opening as the Week 1 starter at QB.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, Superman said:

If even then

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Dan Graziano has a piece on the biggest QB questions for all 32 teams... here's what he writes on Richardson. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/37596898/biggest-2023-nfl-season-quarterback-questions-all-32-teams-qb-battles-contracts-rookies

Well,  any reporter that can’t spell, I’m for one, am not going to give to much credence too.

“Whether”

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Josh Rosen 11-14

Josh Allen 10-12

Sam Darnold 17-15

Baker Mayfield 27-14

Daniel Jones 24-12

Kyler Murray 20-12

Justin Herbert 31-10

Tua Tagovailoa 11-5

Joe Burrow 13-5

Justin Fields 7-10

Trey Lance 5-2

Trevor Lawrence 12-17

Like it’s been said, year one will be up and down, as long as he shows flashes, I’m happy. By end of next year, I’d like to see a 2:1 or better TD ratio

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Like it’s been said, year one will be up and down, as long as he shows flashes, I’m happy. By end of next year, I’d like to see a 2:1 or better TD ratio

I'm not easy to please like that.  Not for the 4th over all pick in the draft.  Other picks could be acceptable showing flashes but not AR.  He's going to start and lead this team from the get go.  With Steichen and JT and the rest he should be showing more than flashes in his rookie year.  Not with this offense and coaching.  The talent is there.  They will coach him up and clean up his mechanics.  He will work hard.  Set the bar high for him.  Setting it low would be a mistake.  I'm expecting him to do very well in his rookie season.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not easy to please like that.  Not for the 4th over all pick in the draft.  Other picks could be acceptable showing flashes but not AR.  He's going to start and lead this team from the get go.  With Steichen and JT and the rest he should be showing more than flashes in his rookie year.  Not with this offense and coaching.  The talent is there.  They will coach him up and clean up his mechanics.  He will work hard.  Set the bar high for him.  Setting it low would be a mistake.  I'm expecting him to do very well in his rookie season.  

At what point did you flip? You were a big time AR basher 3 weeks ago.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Dude,  not even Peyton Freaking Manning had a good rookie year. You can set the bar wherever you want it but historically, rookies take at least 2/3rds of the year or more to slow down and start producing . 

rare exceptions happen but they are the exception not the norm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Please don’t take this wrong, I’m not knocking you for posting this.   I’m knocking the Colts for letting stories like this get out.   

At his year end news conference Ballard criticized himself for not managing expectations last year.   He should have a lid on this kind of talk at this point.   

If it’s August and he looks good in pre-season games that’s one thing.   But comments like this in May are mostly unhelpful.   They raise expectations which is exactly what Ballard said he wanted to avoid this year.   The only person who should like this is Irsay if it helps him sell tickets.   Otherwise…..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please don’t take this wrong, I’m not knocking you for posting this.   I’m knocking the Colts for letting stories like this get out.   

At his year end news conference Ballard criticized himself for not managing expectations last year.   He should have a lid on this kind of talk at this point.   

If it’s August and he looks good in pre-season games that’s one thing.   But comments like this in May are mostly unhelpful.   They raise expectations which is exactly what Ballard said he wanted to avoid this year.   The only person who should like this is Irsay if it helps him sell tickets.   Otherwise…..

I think thats the plan to sell tickets

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

For your consideration….

I think you’ve set yourself up for potentially great disappointment.   I think if it were as easy to fix AR’s issues as you think he’d have been the easy and obvious first overall pick.  

But even if they can address his issues better than expected and even if Steichen adjusts his offense for AR as he did for Jalen Hurts, there is still the matter of AR’s inexperience.   Less than 1000 career snaps.   And there’s no substitute for experience.   That means the mistakes he would’ve made in college he’s now going to make in the NFL.   AR is going to see defenses he’s never seen before.  And the game is going to be sooo much faster.  He’s going to need time to learn and experience all the things he didn’t in college.  If this all happens,  I hope you won’t be too disappointed. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah very true. But something tells me this is coming more so from observers at camp not the colts officially. Maybe even players slipping it out there. Notice how there is no specific quoted coach or player? 99.9 times out of 100, that means it’s just made up. Or a comment was overheard etc

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

For your consideration….

I think you’ve set yourself up for potentially great disappointment.   I think if it were as easy to fix AR’s issues as you think he’d have been the easy and obvious first overall pick.  

But even if they can address his issues better than expected and even if Steichen adjusts his offense for AR as he did for Jalen Hurts, there is still the matter of AR’s inexperience.   Less than 1000 career snaps.   And there’s no substitute for experience.   That means the mistakes he would’ve made in college he’s now going to make in the NFL.   AR is going to see defenses he’s never seen before.  And the game is going to be sooo much faster.  He’s going to need time to learn and experience all the things he didn’t in college.  If this all happens,  I hope you won’t be too disappointed. 

Yep and i bet he’ll be the first to call for ARs benching after a bad game

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah very true. But something tells me this is coming more so from observers at camp not the colts officially. Maybe even players slipping it out there. Notice how there is no specific quoted coach or player? 99.9 times out of 100, that means it’s just made up. Or a comment was overheard etc

Yep and i bet he’ll be the first to call for ARs benching after a bad game

The story, from Bleacher Report, is pointing to a report from ESPN’s NFL reporter Dan Graziano.   He’s one of the best in the business, so I’m not worried that anyone is making up anything.   

But, I think other stories in the last few days are attributing the positive views of AR to Colts coaches.   Whether it’s coaches or players, if I’m Ballard I’d be telling my team to tighten things up.   Managing expectations is important, especially after the disaster from last year.  

• Like 2