Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I remember Hurst being a high draft pick of the Ravens. They also selected TE Mark Andrews in that same draft. That was a pretty good draft class for them. Lamar Jackson was one of those selected. It was the last draft for Ozzie Newsome as their GM.

A pretty legendary way for Ozzie to go out honestly. I'm sure the Bengals wanted Hurst to stay, but money talks and he's gotta do what's best for him. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Who is on your wish list?  Top 25 listed:

LB LAVONTE DAVID

T ORLANDO BROWN JR.

S JORDAN POYER

TE DALTON SCHULTZ

S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON

LB BOBBY WAGNER

G ISAAC SEUMALO

ED JADEVEON CLOWNEY

QB JACOBY BRISSETT

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.

CB ROCK YA-SIN

G DALTON RISNER

CB MARCUS PETERS

WR D.J. CHARK JR.

T ISAIAH WYNN

WR ADAM THIELEN

TE MIKE GESICKI

ED YANNICK NGAKOUE

S JULIAN LOVE

ED LEONARD FLOYD

S TAYLOR RAPP

DI SHELDON RANKINS

LB DRUE TRANQUILL

S JUAN THORNHILL

The one that makes sense based on age, skill set, and need, is Seumalo. But at 29 and $10-12M per, I don't see CB going there. lol 

The Big question is how does Steichen see Smith as a fit on his o-line?

Is Smith more Lane Johnson or can he be best used inside as we add one of the several really good Tackle prospects that will be available in rd 2?

Smith lacks the quickness and speed to block well out in space. He has always been part of the reason we have been less able to excel at all aspects of the screen game. 

34 minutes ago, El Potro said:

With Dublin getting that much, I can't see Ballard resigning Campbell. Ballard must be banking on Dulin taking over the slot. Probably will take some guy later in the draft to have depth. 

I was going to post this. It probably means Campbell wants too much. While this signing is cool, WR is a sneaky need for this team. Pittman is in the last year of his deal. And with Taylor also due for a new contract, I’m not sure the Colts can afford to sign Pittman long term.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was going to post this. It probably means Campbell wants too much. While this signing is cool, WR is a sneaky need for this team. Pittman is in the last year of his deal. And with Taylor also due for a new contract, I’m not sure the Colts can afford to sign Pittman long term.

I rather lock Pittman up than Taylor. I love JT and his game but RBs are cheaper and way easier to replace. Having a good line is more important than a stud RB...

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard needs to start addressing this offense in FA more. I get it this year because they are in a transition phase and don’t know who the QB will be. Seems to do good with defense though.

I'm ok with what he's done so far. I believe the cap for Matt Ryan doesn't officially come in until later today, so we are a bit cash strapped until then. We can easily cut Kelly and MAC to open up cap space though.

I will say that Ballard is spending money that he has available. So I'll give him credit for that. He's attempting to spend when possible and getting a mixture of FAs and re-signings. Props to Ballard so far for spending quicker than normal for him.

28 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I rather lock Pittman up than Taylor. I love JT and his game but RBs are cheaper and way easier to replace. Having a good line is more important than a stud RB...

Understandable. For me, I'd actually rather have Taylor. Pittman had moments last season where he didn't seem too interested in playing. And I get it that the season sucked, but as a professional his job was to make catches. And well... several times he quite literally dropped the ball, in some key moments in games. 

I hope he's different this season. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

For sure. 

Btw,

Not too shocking. Wonder if they'll make a play for Ekeler then? 

31 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I’m usually on board with the RB argument but Taylor is a special player, and he’s way more valuable than Pittman is. Pittman’s talent is replaceable. Taylor isn’t easily replaceable.

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Paris is in France. Sheesh I sucked in history class but even I know that. haha :sarcasm:

There is a place called Paris in Texas. I don't know how I know that. It may have been featured on one of the shows on Investigation Discovery or Oxygen. 

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Understandable. For me, I'd actually rather have Taylor. Pittman had moments last season where he didn't seem too interested in playing. And I get it that the season sucked, but as a professional his job was to make catches. And well... several times he quite literally dropped the ball, in some key moments in games. 

I hope he's different this season. 

Not too shocking. Wonder if they'll make a play for Ekeler then? 

We need a pass catching scat back

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

It seems like a lot of teams need CBs. Who are the top corners in the draft? Are there any Patrick Surtains in there? I wanted Surtain. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-position-rankings-cornerback

Witherspoon - Illinois

Gonzalez - Oregon

Porter Jr. - Penn State

Banks - Maryland

Stevenson - Miami (FL)

Just now, NFLfan said:

A Vikings fan said he wanted us to sign Rock. Colts fans complained a lot about his play when he was here. No?

In his early days. Better as he matured but got traded bc we needed pass rush.

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m usually on board with the RB argument but Taylor is a special player, and he’s way more valuable than Pittman is. Pittman’s talent is replaceable. Taylor isn’t easily replaceable.

I agree that Taylor is way better at his position, but how long will he stay his level and what kind of money will he want. There is a lot at play. Taylor is my favorite Colt.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thank you. I don't see Can Smith up there. He is the one I saw projected to the Vikings. 

He's right at #10 on their list. 

Smith plays the game in a way that every defensive coordinator would love to have in their defense. He's just a limited athlete at an athlete-dominated position.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

He's right at #10 on their list. 

Yeah, he sounds like a Day 2 guy but he had been projected to go to the Vikings in Round 1. Banks sounds good to me. Joey Porter Jr also sounds good too; I hope he is more humble than his dad. I disliked his dad a lot when he played. 

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I rather lock up taylor and trade pittman for a pick and use it to get marvin harrison next year

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I understand this viewpoint, though I'm not on board personally. I can't see investing heavily in a mainly one dimensional RB. Tbh I'm skeptical Taylor fits in with Shane's offense. Not that Taylor is horrible at receiving but it's most definitely not his forte. A scat back would seem to fit more. I'm honestly intrigued at the possibility of trading for Austin Ekeler. Deuce Vaughn would be a late pick in the draft that might be able to fill that role for much cheaper while giving time to see if things go well in the run game this coming year with Taylor. Pittman might not be a top receiver but even low end WR 1s are just more valuable in today's game than even the top RBs in the league. Pittman also wouldn't be easily replaced. Just look at how Ballard is choosing to replace Campbell. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think it’s much more than 1%.  Him posting 3/133 will attract suitors.  I think Irsay is besides himself thinking we could sign LaMar.  I think we are clearing cap space for that very outcome.  More to come today I expect.

Yes, because you know,based on past history, Ballard is a swing for the fence guy .:lol:

3 minutes ago, El Potro said:

I understand this viewpoint, though I'm not on board personally. I can't see investing heavily in a mainly one dimensional RB. Tbh I'm skeptical Taylor fits in with Shane's offense. Not that Taylor is horrible at receiving but it's most definitely not his forte. A scat back would seem to fit more. I'm honestly intrigued at the possibility of trading for Austin Ekeler. Deuce Vaughn would be a late pick in the draft that might be able to fill that role for much cheaper while giving time to see if things go well in the run game this coming year with Taylor. Pittman might not be a top receiver but even low end WR 1s are just more valuable in today's game than even the top RBs in the league. Pittman also wouldn't be easily replaced. Just look at how Ballard is choosing to replace Campbell. 

It's a business we can't keep dumping money at positions that are cheap fills. RB is the easiest position to get great production at a cheap price. The most important thing for the Colts right now is to get our Oline back up to par without breaking the bank so we can have a chance to let a young QB develope with  good blocking. Run blocking is more important than an elite RB.

Archived