Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I doubt that. Carolina seems to be all in. They assembled a very strong coaching staff and they will build their team. The free agency period has yet to come. They may add some players next week. 

Amazing what can be done when you have a owner and GM willing to spend money and be aggressive. Reich is going to have a lot of success. Glad he got out of Indy.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s that say about Ballard if he is spending all that money and not getting results. It’s bad. Trying means then he is bad at his job.

Here's the thing....if he is giving his coaches what they are asking for and they are not succeeding it means that his coaching staff is failing. If he is making the choices and telling the staff to cook with the groceries he bought even though they didn't want them....then that would be 100% on him and his front office staff. I dont think that is the case. 

But the bigger point here is if anyone....and lots of people are saying it.....is saying he is not trying or that he is too cheap or not willing to do what it takes then they are not paying attention. Spending the most money on offense and also making major trades 3 straight off-seasons is not a front office that is not trying. 

If people want to bash the success of those attempts, cool. Have at it. But to bash the effort or make it seem like there is no attempt to do what is necessary is both short-sided and straight incorrect.

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

In my opinion, that was a bad trade for Chicago. They’re betting on the Panthers picking high next year and I don’t see it. 

The Panthers will have a rookie qb with no weapons.  The odds they draft in the top 10 are very high

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

@bluephantom87 I will do apologize for the Loonytoon comment. No reason to namecall you for that. 

I still think Levis is a better prospect than Eason was, but that doesn’t mean Levis will have a better career. 

It's all good. I want to clear this up also. I don't think Eason is or ever was BETTER than Levis. I was only comparing their passing numbers as being similar. I wasn't a big fan of Eason when the Colts drafted him either. Levis work ethic is fine that I know of. My opinion on Levis is simply based on the multiple games that I saw of him. Special qbs can elevate with chaos around them. A calmness per say. Too many times he reminded me of Wentz with those head scratching moments and erratic plays leading to turnovers. Now if the Colts select him I have no choice but to roll with him. I just hope that Steichen can help improve his decision making and poise in the pocket because he definitely has talent. On a side note you are correct that I don't know you but I can say ALWAYS love yourself first and turn self doubt into extreme confidence. :thmup:

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

It's all good. I want to clear this up also. I don't think Eason is or ever was BETTER than Levis. I was only comparing their passing numbers as being similar. I wasn't a big fan of Eason when the Colts drafted him either. Levis work ethic is fine that I know of. My opinion on Levis is simply based on the multiple games that I saw of him. Special qbs can elevate with chaos around them. A calmness per say. Too many times he reminded me of Wentz with those head scratching moments and erratic plays leading to turnovers. Now if the Colts select him I have no choice but to roll with him. I just hope that Steichen can help improve his decision making and poise in the pocket because he definitely has talent. On a side note you are correct that I don't know you but I can say ALWAYS love yourself first and turn self doubt into extreme confidence. :thmup:

Maybe Levis did elevate that team. They went 7-5. It was a horrible team. They got shut out in the bowl game without him. Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

How old are you?  You truly believe the Colts don't get "star power" because of some weird Midwestern flyover voodoo curse?  I guess Luck wasn't hyped..... Or any other colts players past or present ...

He thinks the football gods are in control of everything.   

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I dont think levis will be a mistake. If the line pritects him he will be good

Question is will Ballard sit back and let Arizona trade down below us and let someone else take  him. Probably will. If we do trade to 3 won’t happen  until draft night because teams will want to see who goes 1 and 2.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Question is will Ballard sit back and let Arizona trade down below us and let someone else take  him. Probably will. If we do trade to 3 won’t happen  until draft night because teams will want to see who goes 1 and 2.

If he does we should take anderson and trade up for hooker

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Amazing what can be done when you have a owner and GM willing to spend money and be aggressive. Reich is going to have a lot of success. Glad he got out of Indy.

I think Irsay is willing but Ballard is not. I like Ballard's approach to building a team. He does not panic. I don't like to trade draft capital to move up and I don't like to spend on free agents. That has not been a winning formula for Ballard yet but I prefer his way. I like to build through the draft and adding a free agent here and there. But I want my team to be full of guys we drafted.

Tepper reminds me of the owner of my baseball team. They just spend...spend...spend. I don't like it.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I assume if Ballard just lets a team trade to 3 and decides to sit at 4 he is comfy with both QB. I am telling you if he doesn’t fond out of there with a Qb at for Indy fans are not going to be happy. There is no guarantee hooker will be there to trade back into the first for.

Why would we even want Hooker? He's not gonna play this year and he's 25. He'll be 26 when he can play

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I think Irsay is willing but Ballard is not. I like Ballard's approach to building a team. He does not panic. I don't like to trade draft capital to move up and I don't like to spend on free agents. That has not been a winning formula for Ballard yet but I prefer his way. I like to build through the draft and adding a free agent here and there. But I want my team to be full of guys we drafted.

Tepper reminds me of the owner of my baseball team. They just spend...spend...spend.

He is a as fine scout. I have no issues with his drafting except times like this when you need to be aggressive for Qb. Last year he traded a future third  for a guy that didn’t even play. That was such a bad move when he knew he needs extra picks to try and move up this year.

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that the Panthers traded the below to Chicago to acquire the first-round pick:

Pick No. 9 of the 2023 Draft

Pick No. 61 of the 2023 Draft

a first-round draft pick in 2024

a second-round pick in 2025

And WR DJ Moore

frank must see a qb he wants

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is a as fine scout. I have no issues with his drafting except times like this when you need to be aggressive for Qb. Last year he traded a future third  for a guy that didn’t even play. That was such a bad move when he knew he needs extra picks to try and move up this year.

You don’t judge a trade based on one year.    Turns out Cross was one of the best Special Teams players on the team.   Odds are he’ll be decent this year and inky get better.    

Your need for almost instant gratification is crushing your Colts fandom. 

Oh….   And no, Ballard did NOT know last April he’d need more picks this year.    The Colts hadn’t yet gone 4-12-1.    Goodness gracious.   

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

We’ve essentially got front row seats for Anderson. Panthers go Stroud, Texans go Young. Cards probably trade back so someone else will get Levis at 3. 

I’d rather get Anderson now and just take Hooker or Bennett. If we suck you know what then I guess it is what it is and we pray to God we have a chance at Williams?

i want hooker hope ballard can land him

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

So I am usually a glass half empty type of guy. I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best rather than the other way around. But oh my goodness is our fan base the personification of dramatic when it comes to everything.

Let's break this down a bit:

1) How would our fan base react if we gave up: 4 and 35 this year, our 2024 1st and 2nd and Michael Pittman?  All to take one of Stroud or Young? People would be bashing Ballard and his desperation and then to top it off if he did not take the QB they liked or preferred they would flip out. Plus they would be saying "Who is left to throw to? The rookie is going to throw to Alec Pierce, Michael Strachan and Kristian Wilkerson? Oh god no. We need WRs now and yet we traded our high picks for the next two drafts and the free agent group is terrible and we can't even trade for one since we threw away our top picks this season and next. This rookie is gonna fail now".   So be happy we did not make that crazy * move to go up.

2) When Steichen was hired, you better believe he came in w a plan and a plan that probably resonated with and wowwed our leadership. I doubt that plan was "oh god if we do not trade up to 1.01 and i end up with the 3rd or 4th selected QB in this draft then we are screwed." To be frank, the QB that has always seemed like the absolute best fit in my mind for Steichen is Levis. If you are looking for the tools to succeed he and Richardson have the most tools and potential. They need to be more consistent and they need that brought out of them and to be coached up to their potential. And right now they probably are the two we are fighting for if we stay at 4. 

3) I might be the only one, but I am exhausted with this narrative that Irsay and Ballard are not aggressive enough or do not do enough to win. Blah blah blah. That is nonsense by people who are not paying attention. Show me another team that has in the past 3 years:

2020: Traded a 1st for Buckner 

2021: Traded a 3rd and future 1st for Wentz

2022: Traded a 3rd for Matt Ryan

Our GM and our owner have been attempting to make this team better for 3 seasons running. 

The Buckner trade was a massive win. He has been a centerpiece and the 49ers replaced him with 1.13 in Javon Kinlaw who has been a bust.

The Wentz and the Ryan trades both did not work out. That does not mean we did not take a swing. We did. Twice. We just swung and missed. 

If we took a massive 3rd swing here and missed then we are even more screwed for the future. Not even the present but the future too. It is why i never wanted to move up from 4. Especially w the quality player we can get at 35 this year as well. 

Oh btw, for those that say we are not trying to get better:

- While our offense is garbage, the Colts have spent THE MOST money on offense in the entire NFL over the last 5 years. Read that again. THE MOST. The investment has been made. The groceries were bought. The cooking was lousy. 

- To emphasize this point, look at the offensive efficiency. These guys were so terribly inefficient that they imploded. The investment was there. The production was not. It is why I am excited to have new cooks in the kitchen. If our GM provides those cooks w the ingredients they need or ask for we are going to be fine.

But this narrative that Ballard or Irsay won't do what is needed to compete?   I rarely would say this but get the F out of here. 

This leadership is doing what it needs to do. And what they needed to do on this instance for that 1.01 is NOT give up more than what Carolina was or even exactly what Carolina was. It was not worth it. 

Best post I have seen on this forum in 2 years! No joke. Someone needs to pin this as an announcement and make everyone read it and click ok just to log in. It’s that good

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If the Ryan trade has worked out,you’d be screaming Ballard’s praises. You say he needed to take a swing, he did, 4 times now. Big swings too. 2/3rds of this forum wanted Wentz, 3/4s said Matt Ryan would be out next Peyton… 1/2 wanted Jacoby back.

8 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We could still sign Lamar lol 

Oddly enough, I see this as a possibility at this point. We could give up two 1st round picks, and they would be better picks than the Raiders or Jets. We have the upper hand on Lamar if we want him. The only downsides are we'd have to pay him almost immediately, and the Ravens can match our offer and not get rid of him (though with the 4th overall pick, I think they would let us have him).

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If the Ryan trade has worked out,you’d be screaming Ballard’s praises. You say he needed to take a swing, he did, 4 times now. Big swings too. 2/3rds of this forum wanted Wentz, 3/4s said Matt Ryan would be out next Peyton… 1/2 wanted Jacoby back.

Even the most casual posters at this point were sick of the veteran band-aid options after Wentz. Almost everyone wanted to draft a QB, and people like me wanted to trade up for one like Herbert and Tua in 2020. The only people who were ok with the veteran QB carousel are the people who have blind faith in Ballard and the FO.

First post all week:

All I can say is, this sucks. We have a GM in Ballard that just doesn't get it. I am trending that way of thinking. It will never happen but I would go after Lamar now. He will be healthy by camp and is a former MVP. He is only 26 years old as well So not like an old retread.  Levis or Richardson doesn't do it for me. Very disappointing day.

Levis is Wentz 2.0. Richardson I could live with but his accuracy is head scratching. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

First post all week:

All I can say is, this sucks. We have a GM in Ballard that just doesn't get it. I am trending that way of thinking. It will never happen but I would go after Lamar now. He will be healthy by camp and is a former MVP. He is only 26 years old as well So not like an old retread.  Levis or Richardson doesn't do it for me. Very disappointing day.

Levis is Wentz 2.0. Richardson I could live with but his accuracy is head scratching. 

Reports out of Carolina, they are going to take CJ Stroud that is per CBS radio which the main Carolina beat writer told them. That means the Texans will take Bryce Young. Marvelous lol.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

First post all week:

Ballard doesn't get what? There are 30 other GMs in the league and you expect Ballard to outbid them all? Maybe Fitterer and Poles worked the deal without Ballards knowledge? Maybe Ballard didn't have enough confidence in any of these QBs to use the draft capital? 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Have to give panthers credit. They said we are choosing our QB. We are not letting the league choose one for us. If we go Down and it will be because of who we picked not because we had to settle.

Who says we are going to settle? We have no idea who the Colts want.

4 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Here's the thing....if he is giving his coaches what they are asking for and they are not succeeding it means that his coaching staff is failing. If he is making the choices and telling the staff to cook with the groceries he bought even though they didn't want them....then that would be 100% on him and his front office staff. I dont think that is the case. 

But the bigger point here is if anyone....and lots of people are saying it.....is saying he is not trying or that he is too cheap or not willing to do what it takes then they are not paying attention. Spending the most money on offense and also making major trades 3 straight off-seasons is not a front office that is not trying. 

If people want to bash the success of those attempts, cool. Have at it. But to bash the effort or make it seem like there is no attempt to do what is necessary is both short-sided and straight incorrect.

IMO fans are misidentifying the problem with Ballard. It's not that he doesn't spend and it's not that he doesn't take big chances or make big moves. It's that he's spending big and making big moves at the wrong spots, both offensively and defensively - interior OL, RT, LB, DT... Our OL is the highest paid in the league. +He's paying big money to an old QB over the hill into his retirement. That's where the bulk of the spending is on offense. And both of those underperformed massively last season.

Archived