Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conference Championship Games, Jan. 29, 2023, Discussion thread

NFLfan

Just now, chad72 said:

To me, Orlovsky and others were putting up Joe Burrow on a pedestal, almost to the point that it felt like contrasting "the thinking white QB vs black athletic QB" angle was again being played, IMO. It is like folks just think Mahomes is just a backyard football QB and don't give him enough credit. That is why I loved it that both Hurts and Mahomes are in the SB, to shatter a few stereotypes.

I felt that too.  Notice how Burrow isn’t even getting a lot of flack for the 2 picks today.  He did not play well.  Take away the amazing catches by Chase & Higgins and he was anything but Joe Cool today.  They were so ready to anoint him Tom Brady 2.0. As a Colts fan, that’s the last thing I wanted to see happen.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gramz said:

Eagles will crush the Chiefs.

Whoever the NFL wants will crush other team. Both of these games were so badly officiated that it is hard to not think it was a rigged game. Better story line, 1v1, Kelce Brother Bowl, Reid vs Eagles. Mahomes hobbled. Mahomes v Hurts MVP Bowl. Etc. NFL should probably be investigated based on the last 3 years and how games have been officiated.

Just now, NFLfan said:

This isn't a child's game. I'm not sending my kid to play in that game. That too is disrespectful. It is like saying that anyone can do the job you do. 

Anyway, I won't go back and forth on such childish stuff. That's all for me. 

Literally the intro to this game was called “Child’s game”.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Chad, I can’t tell if we’ve got some soft fans in here or they’re just mad because they hate the Chiefs and wanted the Bengals to win?  I too hate the Chiefs and want them to stink up another Super Bowl and lose. But I’m not gonna give the Bengals a pass for talking shot and then stepping in it. 

I'm not soft. 

And Two wrongs don't make a right. 

Oh well....its really not something to get all worked up over.

I just have way more respect for those who take the high road,  win or lose,  like Peyton did. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I felt that too.  Notice how Burrow isn’t even getting a lot of flack for the 2 picks today.  He did not play well.  Take away the amazing catches by Chase & Higgins and he was anything but Joe Cool today.  They were so ready to anoint him Tom Brady 2.0. As a Colts fan, that’s the last thing I wanted to see happen.

But Mahomes is in the same conference. Neither QB is in the Colts division. Why root for Mahomes and not Burrow? I like both. 

I may be a different kind of fan. I would love to see the Lions start winning more than they have. They are in my division. I am a fan of their head coach.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Last year justin Reid of the chiefs talk trash and then promptly was vested on the field.

This is football. You seem to be preoccupied with the bengals chirping as of this is some novel new thing. All teams do it. 50% of the time people get beat in spite of it. This is so silly to thump your chest over.

I’m shocked at the people thumping their chests calling the Chiefs doing it classless and unnecessary. So why the hypocrisy & double standard?  I’m cool with trash talking. Just gotta back it up.  I personally don’t think it helped the Bengals today. That’s why I’m calling them out. They talked shot and then stepped in it.  Take that L back to Cincy. :dunno:

So, no eagle fans can brag because Purdy was out and how the Eagles will match the Chiefs is a bigger guess.  On the Bengals I wish once in a while the announcers would use the word "stupid" when describing an empty-headed play to give KC the chance to kick the winning FG. What a bafoon!

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don't know man - from Brady to Peyton to Brees to Rodgers to Mahomes to Stafford, what do they all have in common? They won the very first SB they were a part of. Marino, Elway, Jim Kelly, Burrow - they are on the other side, lost the first one and Elway lost all of his first 3 before getting a big sendoff the last 2 years, like Kelly lost all of his 4. 

Winning that SB the very first chance is very important because you never know how many chances you get. To be known as Brady 2.0, you have to make it to a handful of them and win a majority of them, at least 3-2, I would think. AFC is littered with young QBs, long way to go.

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I can't remember, was Burrows Still playing with 4 backups on his OL?

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

But Mahomes is in the same conference. Neither QB is in the Colts division.

I may be a different kind of fan. I would love to see the Lions start winning more than they have. 

I don’t want him to win it all either.  I watched us win less Super Bowls than Brady & Big Ben in the AFC.  I don’t want that to happen again. I want us to win the most championships. Not Mahomes. Not Burrow. Not Herbert. Not Jackson. Not Jackson. Not Lawrence. None of them. After our guy gets a few of them then they can have 1. But not as many as our guy. 

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m shocked at the people thumping their chests calling the Chiefs doing it classless and unnecessary. So why the hypocrisy & double standard?  I’m cool with trash talking. Just gotta back it up.  I personally don’t think it helped the Bengals today. That’s why I’m calling them out. They talked shot and then stepped in it.  Take that L back to Cincy. :dunno:

I will say it again. This is football. Everyone talks trash. This is nothing new. Time to move on.

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I can’t believe so many Colts fans are on here cheering for Burrow (a guy in our conference) to go to a 2nd straight Super Bowl and win it all.  You guys are seriously happy to create another Brady to block our path for the next decade?  That’s insanity.

The best outcome for the Colts is for the Chiefs to beat the Bengals and Mahomes & Reid to go lay another egg in the Super Bowl & lose.  Hurts is in the NFC. We’ll deal with him in the Super Bowl one day.  I don’t want to have to battle with a ring having Burrow (in only his 3rd year) while also dealing with Mahomes (and to a lesser extent Allen & Lawrence & Jackson). No thanks to that narrative. 

Burrow will be in a retirement community by the time the Colts are a threat to Cincy.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, Orlovsky and others were putting up Joe Burrow on a pedestal, almost to the point that it felt like contrasting "the thinking white QB vs black athletic QB" angle was again being played, IMO. It is like folks just think Mahomes is just a backyard football QB and don't give him enough credit. That is why I loved it that both Hurts and Mahomes are in the SB, to shatter a few stereotypes.

You may have a point. I have seen that with Hurts, not really with Mahomes. Many seem to respect Mahomes. Hurts, not so much so. I don't like the Eagles fan base because of some of what they do. However, I am happy to see Hurts prove people, including me, wrong. 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I can't remember, was Burrows Still playing with 4 backups on his OL?

Probably. Just like Mahomes was playing with a high ankle sprain today and his last Super Bowl trip his entire line was Uber drivers off the street.  The perfect scenario for me as a Colts fan.  Now I hope Mahomes goes and loses another one.  Then our next QB comes in and takes over the league. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

You may have a point. I have seen that with Hurts, not really with Mahomes. Many seem to respect Mahomes. Hurts, not so much so. I don't like the Eagles fan base because of some of what they do. However, I am happy to see Hurts prove people, including me, wrong. 

Yeah, people have dissed on Hurts all year and he has proven people wrong. Mahomes, let me be frank, last year he was exposed because he was riding Hill and Kelce and the 2020 SB exposed Mahomes a bit, and has forced him to become a better QB, all part of the game and QB growth. He has begun to read Ds better and it has showed this year. However, 3 consecutive 3 point losses and folks were calling Burrow Mahomes' Daddy and all the unnecessary talk, IMO. I wanted Mahomes to prove that wrong. I am glad he won today, needless to say. 

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The KC mayor said he would take the high road and would not respond. The Cincy mayor should never have said that.

What did Kelce say?

Kelce said his message for the Cincy mayor was to “know your role and shut your mouth, jabroni!” (Quoting a famous saying from the WWE wrestler the Rock). That was in response to the smack the Cincy mayor talked this past week. 

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t want him to win it all either.  I watched us win less Super Bowls than Brady & Big Ben in the AFC.  I don’t want that to happen again. I want us to win the most championships. Not Mahomes. Not Burrow. Not Herbert. Not Jackson. Not Jackson. Not Lawrence. None of them. After our guy gets a few of them then they can have 1. But not as many as our guy. 

You have a lot of confidence. I want my team to win one. But we are middle of the pack every year and never pick high. I have been a Vikings fan for just over 30 years. They have never picked higher than 4th during that time. We almost always pick 11th or later. :( To win, you need a top QB. My team needs a QB of the Future.

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I will say it again. This is football. Everyone talks trash. This is nothing new. Time to move on.

Exactly.  So why all the sensitivity about the Chiefs doing it?  Seem like you should be making that statement to the people bothered by KC talking and not the Bengals. I’m cool with talking shot.  You give it you gotta take it.  I’ve been on both sides. Lol. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Exactly.  So why all the sensitivity about the Chiefs doing it?  Seem like you should be making that statement to the people bothered by KC talking and not the Bengals. I’m cool with talking shot.  You give it you gotta take it.  I’ve been on both sides. Lol. 

There’s a difference between chirping before, and after the game.

It’s called sportsmanship.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

If "the wire" can alter the outcome of the game seems to me they should somehow figure out a method to determine if the ball hit it or not. It's only millions of dollars at stake.

I don’t see why every network doesn’t have NBC’s cameras. They have angles of EVERYTHING.  Even can zoom in. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You have a lot of confidence. I want my team to win one. But we are middle of the pack every year and never pick high. I have been a Vikings fan for just over 30 years. They have never picked higher than 4th during that time. We almost always pick 11th or later. :( To win, you need a top QB. My team needs a QB of the Future.

More hope than confidence. Colts are teetering on the precipice. We get the HC & QB wrong and we’re headed for the cellar for a few years. I feel you though. You guys just have had poor luck.  Be it Gary Anderson not missing a field goal all year until the NFC title game vs Falcons (I was pulling hard for that team) or Brett Favre throwing the game away vs the Saints (should’ve been Colts vs Vikings that year instead of Colts vs Saints).  

Just now, Smoke317 said:

More hope than confidence. Colts are teetering on the precipice. We get the HC & QB wrong and we’re headed for the cellar for a few years. I feel you though. You guys just have had poor luck.  Be it Gary Anderson not missing a field goal all year until the NFC title game vs Falcons (I was pulling hard for that team) or Brett Favre throwing the game away vs the Saints (should’ve been Colts vs Vikings that year instead of Colts vs Saints).  

Those were the two hardest losses to swallow during my years as a fan.

47 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Would rather that the players decide the outcome of game of this magnitude. An arm shove out of bounds on player trying to make forward progress- they should have let go in my opinion.

He was like 5 to 6 yards out of bounds and made the player fall over. That’s a clear penalty and also an * moment

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Imagine if kids played NFL football. It is so disrespectful to people who practice hard, suffer severe injuries, and play this game to say it is a kids game. SMH. That is what someone says when they have never played. 

It serves no function to society except to entertain. It is by definition a game.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Those were the two hardest losses to swallow during my years as a fan.

I bet. That Anderson year, the Vikings were special. Must see tv.  And the Saints really beat the heck out of Favre. That bounty gate scandal was real and he caught it worse than anyone.  Still don’t know why he threw that pass. 

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I bet. That Anderson year, the Vikings were special. Must see tv.  And the Saints really beat the heck out of Favre. That bounty gate scandal was real and he caught it worse than anyone.  Still don’t know why he threw that pass. 

I was numb for a day after that NFCCG loss to the Falcons. Lol. That was such a fun team. We lost one game during the regular season and it was to Tony Dungy's Bucs team. I swore we were winning the Super Bowl that year. 

The Favre game was different. I actually did not want Favre to be the Vikings QB that year but it was hard not to like him. To me, he was a Packer. But he was so passionate and I could not help liking him. The Saints really beat him up. Vikings fans have a deep dislike for the Saints. I once went to a bar and met a guy who was a Saints fan. He could not understand why Vikings fans disliked the Saints. All I said was Bountygate.

21 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I was getting sick of mahomes wife and brother, but it has been obvious this year that he had a chat with them as you don't hear about them anymore.

Yep, they have been super uber silent all of this year. Plus, Mahomes had a second child this year too and invested in local Kansas City sports as a businessman, definitely a lifer there. 

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was numb for a day after that NFCCG loss to the Falcons. Lol. That was such a fun team. We lost one game during the regular season and it was to Tony Dungy's Bucs team. I swore we were winning the Super Bowl that year. 

The Favre game was different. I actually did not want Favre to be the Vikings QB that year but it was hard not to like him. To me, he was a Packer. But he was so passionate and I could not help liking him. The Saints really beat him up. Vikings fans have a deep dislike for the Saints. I once went to a bar and met a guy who was a Saints fan. He could not understand why Vikings fans disliked the Saints. All I said was Bountygate.

I was bummed for you all, that year. I loved Randall Cunningham, his big arm and Carter and Moss. They would have given the Broncos fits in the SB. Just how it goes sometimes, that was a Vikings team (1998) I really really wanted to win. Favre, it always felt like a mercenary given that it was his 3rd team, just enjoyed the game there without a rooting interest knowing both the Saints and Vikings would give the Colts fits. 

54 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I was getting sick of mahomes wife and brother, but it has been obvious this year that he had a chat with them as you don't hear about them anymore.

I did not even know he had a brother. I know his father because he was a pitcher for my baseball team. Little Patrick Mahomes used to play in the stadium.

Anyway, it is hard to understand how anyone would dislike Mahomes or Burrow.

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did not even know he had a brother. I know his father because he was a pitcher for my baseball team. Little Patrick Mahomes used to play in the stadium.

Anyway, it is hard to understand how anyone would dislike Mahomes or Burrow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/jackson-mahomes-sean-taylor-number-dance-chiefs/1pnlkl6zd3jcz1mxi1u96pdjeb

Just 1 example of the many *ic things he did last season.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I don't know what race has to do with anything, I thought we got past that a long time ago with QB's. And for the record, Mahomes is half Caucasian and half black. 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

He was like 5 to 6 yards out of bounds and made the player fall over. That’s a clear penalty and also an * moment

Either way, it was unfortunate a 20-20 game with seconds left put KC in field goal range as a result of that penalty. Would have rather seen KC make a play for the yardage. Tough way to lose at the end of the championship game.

Archived