Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conference Championship Games, Jan. 29, 2023, Discussion thread

NFLfan

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are a lot of people that are sick of the Chiefs because they win all the time. I really haven't heard much hate toward Burrow unless I am missing something. I like Burrow. It seemed like the whole world was rooting for Cincy on Sunday as well.

It's because Cincy hadn't won a super bowl more than anything. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's because Cincy hadn't won a super bowl more than anything. 

Yep. They can't act like they have been there because frankly "they haven't been there, winning a SB". That drives all Bengals fans crazy and in a weird way, they act out and make up for it with trash talk, from players to fans. That is the only reasoning I can think of.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

On a different note… I feel SO bad for Purdy… 

He has to look at the silver lining and think "hey, not many Mr. Irrelvants get to do what I did", even if he goes back to the bench next year, which is very likely.

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

@chad72 @2006Coltsbestever

The hate isn’t on here as much. It’s on social media. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook… Lots of people are thinking Burrow was the one trash talking…  

Everyone knows it was Burrow's teammates leading the charge. All Burrow said was "we are coming for them". Hmmm...like the Chiefs don't know it after being 0-3 against you?? They didn't forever want to be the nail for the Bengals' hammer, so why say anything at all?? It is like Mike Vanderjagt running his mouth "The Patriots are ripe for the plucking" before we played the Patriots at Foxboro, and we lost 14-24 in the AFCCG.

All the trash talk did not make Mahomes play that much better than the typical high level he normally plays at. It did however make the rest of the Chiefs D and others play at a much higher level than we are used to with the Chiefs D, that was clear as a blue sky. If the Bengals had kept their mouths shut (including the Mayor), there is a good chance they would not have run into a fired up Chiefs D, IMO, which was a bigger reason for the Chiefs winning than Mahomes himself.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. They can't act like they have been there because frankly "they haven't been there, winning a SB". That drives all Bengals fans crazy and in a weird way, they act out and make up for it with trash talk, from players to fans. That is the only reasoning I can think of.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I had the Bills winning the SB before the season and they kicked the Bills butt lmao . Really nobody should ever bet against the Chiefs because they have Mahomes. I said the same thing when we had Peyton and the Pats had Brady. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Everyone knows it was Burrow's teammates leading the charge.

All the trash talk did not make Mahomes play that much better than the typical high level he normally plays at. It did however make the rest of the Chiefs D and others play at a much higher level than we are used to with the Chiefs D, that was clear as a blue sky. If the Bengals had kept their mouths shut (including the Mayor), there is a good chance they would not have run into a fired up Chiefs D, IMO.

It seemed to pee off Kelce more than anything, he did have a huge TD as well.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly who is trying to debate the personal foul on Mahomes? I haven't seen anyone argue that. 

Imo if Cincy had a healthy O-line they would be going to the big game 

There was an almost identical late hit on Burrow earlier and no :flag:

28 minutes ago, Gramz said:

There was an almost identical late hit on Burrow earlier and no :flag:

Yeah, I saw that.

To me, the difference was Joe Burrow sold the one handed Clark hit with what I felt was an embellished fall and begged for the flag, versus Mahomes was going forward with momentum and didn't beg for the flag (unlike Brady does) and Ossai used both hands extended. If Ossai tapped Mahomes, it would not have been a flag. The two hand extension is what propelled Mahomes further forward than he would have fell.

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, I saw that.

To me, the difference was Joe Burrow sold the one handed Clark hit with what I felt was an embellished fall and begged for the flag, versus Mahomes was going forward with momentum and didn't beg for the flag and Ossai used both hands extended. If Ossai tapped Mahomes, it would not have been a flag. The extension propelled Mahomes further forward than he would have fell.

A late hit is a late hit...

.....or is it. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Gramz said:

A late hit is a late hit...

.....or is it. :dunno:

To me, the hand extension of Ossai is what did it and Clark's hit in the pocket wasn't close to the head or neck area, it was definitely a "a gentle stroll love tap on the chest pad" like Romo said, and Burrow could have easily, I repeat, easily stayed up without an issue but chose to fall and embellish it. So the ref probably thought he was flopping. Technically late, yes but same intensity as Ossai push, not close.

Similarly, sacks of Chris Jones were called for roughing the passers twice earlier in the season saying he put his weight on the QB. So he started bear hugging after that. 

@2006Coltsbestever

Finally, the Bengals forum stopped whining about ref calls and started analyzing things properly:

https://www.sbnation.com/23577117/2023-nfl-playoffs-chiefs-bengals?_gl=1*1s67xg3*

The rip move is a move that is given exception to holding calls because it is designed to put the OL in a position of holding. Interesting read and a lot of OL knowledge delivered there.

Another good one:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-rules-rip-move-holding-chiefs-bengals-mahomes-run-reaction-refs

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"instead of wanting to win", I said that because of the money situation. Should Burrow take less money than other QB's, I would say no. He deserves every penny he can get but in the end it will cost them a good player or 2, JMO. Mahomes losing Hill wasn't good but he still had Andy Reid + Kelce who is arguably a top 5 TE of all-time.

I never once bad mouthed Burrow - I was trying to point out if he took a favorable deal it would help Cincy out. I think he is the 2nd best QB in the league, he just isn't better than Mahomes. 

Agreed, but how much of "a better player or two MORE" does a team need at the end of every season? 

That's why the teams strive to find the prototypical or modern era franchise QB, so that the QB can make that game winning drive in last minute or a couple of comeback game changing drives needed in playoffs against strong contenders, in addition to strong and consistent QB play throughout regular season. Such QBs deserve to get paid, and Bengals have found that franchise QB in Burrow who has proven so much BEFORE getting paid a lot. 

Problem with the QB market is not that the likes of Rodgers, Burrow, Mahomes get paid... The problem is that barely above average QBs such as the likes of Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Jones, Carr, Watson (personal and legal problems), and few others continue to demand elite QB money and drive up the QB market when they don't deserve that kind of contract, while neither proving BEFORE OR AFTER getting that money. 

If I'd wanna complain about QBs getting paid huge money that makes the team worse, I'd complain about those Pretenders who would get paid abhorrent, unproven and undeserved pay while these QBs make their team worse by BOTH blocking large part of the cap space and NOT playing to the highest level of QB play their contracts would suggest. 

Back to your point, yes, Bengals would lose a key player or more both in offense and defense when Burrow's contract peaks in salary cap space... But he's proven he can compensate that loss, which is not even close to the situation of not even having found our franchise QB yet, and still a better problem than having a QB who pretends to be a franchise QB not being able to win multiple playoff games. 

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Agreed, but how much of "a better player or two MORE" does a team need at the end of every season? 

That's why the teams strive to find the prototypical or modern era franchise QB, so that the QB can make that game winning drive in last minute or a couple of comeback game changing drives needed in playoffs against strong contenders, in addition to strong and consistent QB play throughout regular season. Such QBs deserve to get paid, and Bengals have found that franchise QB in Burrow who has proven so much BEFORE getting paid a lot. 

Problem with the QB market is not that the likes of Rodgers, Burrow, Mahomes get paid... The problem is that barely above average QBs such as the likes of Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Jones, Carr, Watson (personal and legal problems), and few others continue to demand elite QB money and drive up the QB market when they don't deserve that kind of contract, while neither proving BEFORE OR AFTER getting that money. 

If I'd wanna complain about QBs getting paid huge money that makes the team worse, I'd complain about those Pretenders who would get paid abhorrent, unproven and undeserved pay while these QBs make their team worse by BOTH blocking large part of the cap space and NOT playing to the highest level of QB play their contracts would suggest. 

Back to your point, yes, Bengals would lose a key player or more both in offense and defense when Burrow's contract peaks in salary cap space... But he's proven he can compensate that loss, which is not even close to the situation of not even having found our franchise QB yet, and still a better problem than having a QB who pretends to be a franchise QB not being able to win multiple playoff games. 

Fair enough. Burrow is a great QB but letting opportunities slip can mean no ring. I seen Dan Marino do the same thing.

• Shive unpinned this topic

Archived