Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What has Ballard done to make you think this?  You get yourself all hyped up every year hoping upon hope trades and signings will happen.     It's interesting  to watch

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

What a BEAUT!

This is a member of the Indianapolis Colts Forum and he wants to trade up for #1 pick! Wow I bet he picks a BIG ONE!

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What round do you guys think a all American center would be drafted. I am very intrigued pairing stroud with his center and dumping Kelly salary.

That would be interesting -- and fun -- wouldn't it?  Ballard quadruples down on Ohio State.  Takes QB CJ Stroud in 1st, C Luke Wypler in 3rd, re-signs WR Campbell, and then drafts WR Harrison Jr next year.  :D 

Just now, John Hammonds said:

That would be interesting -- and fun -- wouldn't it?  Ballard quadruples down on Ohio State.  Takes QB CJ Stroud in 1st, C Luke Wypler in 3rd, re-signs WR Campbell, and then drafts WR Harrison Jr next year.  :D 

Ohio State was well represented last night during the Bengals Ravens game. Not gonna lie they definitely produce good talent for NFL levels. 

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you actually spent the time to do the research those guys were drafted where they were projected to be drafted.   At the time Hooker and Jamal Adams were a coin flip among many draft analysts..  Hooker has been very good for Dallas.    

I'm not sure BB was a need.   He was drafted on potential.   Bust for sure.   

Turay was considered a a stud.  Didn't work out.

I remember after the BB pick the following year Ballard said something along the lines that he needs to get enamored by physical traits and get guys with good character/drive. I think that was him saying that BB was a bad pick and that he got caught looking at the potential and not if he had the mental side to reach it. Turay was another player which injuries killed his career because he was a good pass rusher when healthy but the injuries kept stacking.

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Ohio State was well represented last night during the Bengals Ravens game. Not gonna lie they definitely produce good talent for NFL levels. 

But not at QB.  Ohio State QBs don’t tend to pan out at the NFL level.  Even Fields still has major questions around him.  I think Ohio State is so loaded they tend to make QBs look better than they really are.  Now, I’m fairness to Stroud you have to judge him as him and not just what school he went too.  

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

But not at QB.  Ohio State QBs don’t tend to pan out at the NFL level.  Even Fields still has major questions around him.  I think Ohio State is so loaded they tend to make QBs look better than they really are.  Now, I’m fairness to Stroud you have to judge him as him and not just what school he went to.  

… I mean Burrow was originally a Buckeye…

Just now, RollerColt said:

… I mean Burrow was originally a Buckeye…

A lot of players were originally something other than where they turned pro from.  Most people consider where they turned pro from their school.  Not where they first went because they get developed more at their new school.

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

since there is no generational QB and all have flaws why would you even trade up then ?   stay at 4 and take who falls to us i doubt someone trades multiple firsts with the cardinals to pass us for levis who has some flaws .  take who falls to us at 4 dont trade up and you keep your 2024 pick so if our new QB is horrible we have a top 3 pick next year with much better QB prospects

It’s about getting your guy. If whoever the Colts like isn’t there at 4, it’d be a waste to draft someone else. The 4 guys are Young, Stroud, Levis, and Richardson. Young may be eliminated based on his size and Ballard’s preference for guys with elite size, so you can’t just sit at 4 and hope Levis or Stroud are there. What if the league feels the same about Young and the QB left when we’re on the clock at 4 is him? Better to be safe than sorry. 

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

But not at QB.  Ohio State QBs don’t tend to pan out at the NFL level.  Even Fields still has major questions around him.  I think Ohio State is so loaded they tend to make QBs look better than they really are.  Now, I’m fairness to Stroud you have to judge him as him and not just what school he went too.  

All it takes is one.

Name a Tennessee Vols QB that lit up the NFL before Manning came along.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if players knowing we are taking a QB will help in FA. I don’t expect anything big in FA until maybe year two though. Especially with a new coach.

It might just help knowing who the coach might be before the FA period even gets here.

Conspiracy theory: All the praise for Buckner in the end of year conference was just to drive up his value, because they plan to trade him to the Bears. That would allow the Bears to fill two holes on there DLine with Buckner at DT and using the 4 on the best DE available and the Colts get to keep next years 1st rounder. 

Just now, Zoltan said:

Conspiracy theory: All the praise for Buckner in the end of year conference was just to drive up his value, because they plan to trade him to the Bears. That would allow the Bears to fill two holes on there DLine with Buckner at DT and using the 4 on the best DE available and the Colts get to keep next years 1st rounder. 

anyone who watches tape on Buckner this past year doesn’t need his value driven up.  Dude has an unreal season.  I don’t see the Colts trading him.  However, unlike other players his contract would lend itself to be traded.  Still I don’t think the Colts trade him but I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

anyone who watches tape on Buckner this past year doesn’t need his value driven up.  Dude has an unreal season.  I don’t see the Colts trading him.  However, unlike other players his contract would lend itself to be traded.  Still I don’t think the Colts trade him but I could be wrong.

It would open cap space for the off-season and they would move Dayo into the 3T position, which Ballard had previously said he would be better fit for 3- tech DT. 

Disclaimer: I’m just bored and spitting ideas

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

It would open cap space for the off-season and they would move Dayo into the 3T position, which Ballard had previously said he would be better fit for 3- tech DT. 

Disclaimer: I’m just bored and spitting ideas

Yeah but Ballard is also big on keeping your own stars.  You could argue Buckner had the best season of anyone on the roster.  I don’t see them moving him but I wouldn’t completely rule it out I just don’t see them doing it.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/LongFormArticle/Every-Alabama-Football-first-round-NFL-draft-pick-of-the-Nick-Saban-era-186760372/Amp/

wow the best performing player taken from

Bama and the only one still currently with the team that drafted him…. Our very own Ryan Kelly

Jones ?

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d trade back and pick up Flowers or that Northwestern tackle. Then grab rookie qb high in 2

Zay Flowers is a 1st-2nd guy so they would have to trade down pretty far

If he blows people away highest I could see him going is early 20s

i was listening to the podcast with Benjamin Allbright  and he said a member of the colts front office laugh at the notion of the colts putting together a massive trade package to move up to 1 .       it could be smoke and mirrors to keep the trade value down of the 1st pick but i have a feeling ballard hates trading down in general

5 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Now let’s look at Purdue, zero NCAA titles… but yet they have had 15, yes 15 QBs make pro-bowl selections at least once. 5 in the NCAA hall of fame, 3 Super Bowl winning QBs, 3 Super Bowl MVP QBs, 3 QBs in the pro football HoF. And the only QB to have a fully undefeated season in the NFL…

thats a tough pill for this IU grad to swallow but it’s true. In fact, they are one of only two schools that can claim they produced 3 different Super Bowl winning QBs

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

So then Trade back twice haha

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Flowers supposedly is the best route runner and separation WR in this draft, which we need, badly

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i was listening to the podcast with Benjamin Allbright  and he said a member of the colts front office laugh at the notion of the colts putting together a massive trade package to move up to 1 .       it could be smoke and mirrors to keep the trade value down of the 1st pick but i have a feeling ballard hates trading down in general

That particular trade package was dumb. Plus like people said colts aren’t even thinking about that right now.  So colts probably did laugh.

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Look at your last sentence.   The part about Ballard hates trading down in general.   Is that what you meant?   Or did you mean hates trading up?   

Ballard has said publicly he’s not a fan of trading up.   Says it’s too expensive.   Typically when he traded up he’ll trade a 5 to move up in the 2nd round like he did for Taylor.  Or when he traded a 5 to move from the top of the 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd to take Ty Lewis.   

But most often, Ballard loves to trade down.  He’s done it far more than trade up.  Not even close.

Can you clarify please?  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your last sentence.   The part about Ballard hates trading down in general.   Is that what you meant?   Or did you mean hates trading up?   

Ballard has said publicly he’s not a fan of trading up.   Says it’s too expensive.   Typically when he traded up he’ll trade a 5 to move up in the 2nd round like he did for Taylor.  Or when he traded a 5 to move from the top of the 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd to take Ty Lewis.   

But most often, Ballard loves to trade down.  He’s done it far more than trade up.  Not even close.

Can you clarify please?  

i mean trading down from 4 to 1   i should of said trading up

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So then Trade back twice haha

Flowers supposedly is the best route runner and separation WR in this draft, which we need, badly

But again that's not necessarily someone you take with top 10 pick.

If Colts bring back Parris they are good enough for now.

Archived