Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of posters on the board are very high on Levis, and there is a lot to like with the prototypical size, arm, and playing in a pro style offense with a former NFL OC. He also has had far less of a supporting cast in his time at Kentucky - so more difficult to compare.

With all this being said, Levis still has only passed for more than 250 yards once against SEC defenses.

I just get the feeling that Ballard will target a more complete QB resume, especially drafting at #4, and the current state of the team during his tenure as GM. . Yes, a lot can change in the next couple of months with input from a new coach and draft evaluations  etc... Just my take.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I know a lot of posters on the board are very high on Levis, and there is a lot to like with the prototypical size, arm, and playing in a pro style offense with a former NFL OC. He also has had far less of a supporting cast in his time at Kentucky - so more difficult to compare.

With all this being said, Levis still has only passed for more than 250 yards once against SEC defenses.

I just get the feeling that Ballard will target a more complete QB resume, especially drafting at #4, and the current state of the team during his tenure as GM. . Yes, a lot can change in the next couple of months with input from a new coach and draft evaluations  etc... Just my take.

Ballard isn’t drafting anyone based on just college stats. Everything you mentioned before that one thing draws more attention than how many yards against a team he had. This is why a guy like Richardson will still be drafted high. They have a lot to work with that teams want to then mold into their guy. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

In the NFL, margins of winning and losing are smaller. It is easier to get pass catchers and RBs from the draft than seasoned OL and DL. I would not trade Buckner or Nelson for this reason. 

I know we have recency bias with Nelson but long term, his level will be back to the better level we are used to from him. Plus, how many times have we seen a team losing close games in a year only to win many of those the next year to take the next step as a division winner with the right QB and HC? No reason to blow things up and have a garage sale if you watched the games and how we were in it a lot more than the end result seemed to indicate.

Yeah I also think if Ballard was going to move on from Nelson or even considering it he would not have extended him in the first place.  

From there they have enough places to address on the line they don’t need to make more.  If you are going to bet on anyone to bounce back wouldn’t you bet on a three time all pro who is going into the fifth year of his career?  Seems like you’d give him more than one year before pulling the plug on a guy like that.  

All that before you get to his contract.  His contract basically makes him untradeable for now.  So for better or worse Nelson is going to be apart of the Colts going forward.  

6 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Qbs are drafted based on potential and arm talent. The most polished dont always go the earliest. I will rally behind whoever we draft

I think more and more teams are starting to realize not to go the mid tear vet backup. It’s much better to actually start a lower drafted young guy and let them sink or swim. It’s a win win. I think WA finally learned that lesson. Letting Sam Howel start and if he plays well great. If not you are on good draft position. Your only delaying the inevitable by signing these middle of road vets.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you think it’s true.  But stop and ask yourself this.  If you’re Chris Ballard do you want this out in public if it’s true?    No.    You only want this out if it helps you.  

Remember, the number one rule in the draft season is that most leaks are FALSE. They are smoke screens. 

There’s only a few people in the Colts building who know that info right now.   The only reason for the “source” to give out that info is to benefit the Colts, not hurt the Colts.   If you’re the source are you risking your job giving up the info against Ballard’s orders?   No.   You’re giving up the info because Ballard wants the info out there.  

Odds are extremely high this is a smoke screen.    And I think it’s fine.   It’s smart.    Shows a lot of thought by the front office. 

Could this information come up in the head coaching interviews and get passed around?

2 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

I think he is going to drop into the 2nd. I wouldn't bet on it but I could see it happening. His size is going to be a issue. I do like what I have seen from him. But in today's NFL, I can't see any team being like they want him as first overall. I think he will go from 10 to the middle of the 2nd. 

I think he drops no further down to 10, if at all. 

His size is a legitimate scare though. 

I think Young & AR15 have the Best chance of the class to be Elite...... I also think they both have the best chance of being Disappointing to their teams. Young because of his size and vulnerability of being injured. And AR15 because hes so raw and green and maybe never improve his accuracy/have command at reading defenses good enough to be a Franchise QB. 

Both QB's so far would excite me and I'd be happy with Levis too and I think he's the one were getting. I'd get behind Stroud too. 

I'm getting easy to please. haha

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Ballard isn’t drafting anyone based on just college stats. Everything you mentioned before that one thing draws more attention than how many yards against a team he had. This is why a guy like Richardson will still be drafted high. They have a lot to work with that teams want to then mold into their guy. 

I never suggested drafting on stats. I mentioned resume-body of work. I do not think the Colts will take a massive swing on potential at the #4 position in the draft with Ballard as GM. I agree a player like Richardson will be drafted high. I do not see Ballard doing it.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I never suggested drafting on stats. I mentioned resume-body of work. I do not think the Colts will take a massive swing on potential at the #4 position in the draft with Ballard as GM. I agree a player like Richardson will be drafted high. I do not see Ballard doing it.

If ballard takes Richardson at 4 his response will be Look I love his size and he has amazing upside. Lol

21 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Still finished at OU though. Mayfield never had a chance with the Browns and he is still playing. 

He went to Oklahoma because Tua beat him out.  Tua has been pretty good when healthy.  

Mayfield busted with the panthers as well.   He will be a backup somewhere next year

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think more and more teams are starting to realize not to go the mid tear vet backup. It’s much better to actually start a lower drafted young guy and let them sink or swim. It’s a win win. I think WA finally learned that lesson. Letting Sam Howel start and if he plays well great. If not you are on good draft position. Your only delaying the inevitable by signing these middle of road vets.

I think you can win with mid level starters though.  Carr before this year, Jimmy G. Goff, Jones ,Cousins.  They are all good just not top tier.  Now getting a quarterback that is in the mid to late 30’s might not be a good move.  We found that out.

22 minutes ago, Moe said:

Could this information come up in the head coaching interviews and get passed around?

I suppose it could, but honestly, I think the Colts would hold that info tightly.   If you give it out to HC candidates, anyone you don’t hire could share that info wherever he goes.  

I suspect we’d share broad views….  “we like the top 4 QBs and would be happy with any of them.   But we will include our full evaluation with whoever we hire as our head coach.  And that new HC will have a say in who we pick.”    Something like that. 

That would be my guess.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suppose it could, but honestly, I think the Colts would hold that info tightly.   If you give it out to HC candidates, anyone you don’t hire could share that info wherever he goes.  

I suspect we’d share broad views….  “we like the top 4 QBs and would be happy with any of them.   But we will include our full evaluation with whoever we hire as our head coach.  And that new HC will have a say in who we pick.”    Something like that. 

That would be my guess.  

WOW

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That would be my guess.  

They probably ask the candidates what their plan is four the 3 or 4 QB. That way they  dont give out any info they might get out.

42 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Every GM is looking at potential not college stats. His 2021 year was good and he still had a good 2022. 

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I think Ballard prioritizes traits over production, which would mean taking Levis over Stroud or Young.

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Id be surprised if it isnt Stroud that Ballard wants.  Whether or not he thinks he can get him at 4 is another story but i don't think he takes the chance and trades up to get him.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I also think if Ballard was going to move on from Nelson or even considering it he would not have extended him in the first place.  

From there they have enough places to address on the line they don’t need to make more.  If you are going to bet on anyone to bounce back wouldn’t you bet on a three time all pro who is going into the fifth year of his career?  Seems like you’d give him more than one year before pulling the plug on a guy like that.  

All that before you get to his contract.  His contract basically makes him untradeable for now.  So for better or worse Nelson is going to be apart of the Colts going forward.  

I keep thinking that I'd rather trade him then trade a first rounder next year but that is faulty thinking.  He is better now and will be next year than any pick we will have.  I hadn't thought of it that way before.  Ballard drafted him at 6 and then paid him that monster K.  i think you are right.  he won't be traded.

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I keep thinking that I'd rather trade him then trade a first rounder next year but that is faulty thinking.  He is better now and will be next year than any pick we will have.  I hadn't thought of it that way before.  Ballard drafted him at 6 and then paid him that monster K.  i think you are right.  he won't be traded.

But Ballard thought we were going to be contending with Ryan when he signed Nelson. Things change.  I doubt anyone iis paying a guard that much and giving up picks. I

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But Ballard thought we were going to be contending with Ryan when he signed Nelson. Things change.  I doubt anyone iis paying a guard that much and giving up picks. I

I was thinking he was tradable too but Go88 is right.  He drafted him so early and paid him so much.  And he is the lynchpin of the OL.  Ballard likes the lines more than anything.  I don't think Q gets traded. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But Ballard thought we were going to be contending with Ryan when he signed Nelson. Things change.  It nobody is paying a guard that much and giving up picks. I

Contending or not Ballard wants to build through the trenches and he wasn’t going to let his 6th overall 3 time all-pro leave in FA. 

8 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Id be surprised if it isnt Stroud that Ballard wants.  Whether or not he thinks he can get him at 4 is another story but i don't think he takes the chance and trades up to get him.  

Ballard is not a gambler.  He will not take the chance on losing the quarterback he wants by sitting there at 4 and praying.  He will trade up and get his guy.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard is not a gambler.  He will not take the chance on losing the quarterback he wants by sitting there at 4 and praying.  He will trade up and get his guy.  

he may not want any of the forums top 3, he may have his own thoughts on who is the best and can get him with the fourth pick or like a player at another position better that he will use on the fourth, imo he wont be pressured into just taking a qb, this is a different ballard

Just now, DEFENSE said:

he may not want any of the forums top 3, he may have his own thoughts on who is the best and can get him with the fourth pick or like a player at another position better that he will use on the fourth, imo he wont be pressured into just taking a qb, this is a different ballard

You can not take another position because it has a higher grade. Especially when you don’t have a QB. If you had a very good bridge then maybe that could happen. These QB are good. He won’t be taking them to high.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can not take another position because it has a higher grade. Especially when you don’t have a QB. If you had a very good bridge then maybe that could happen. These QB are good. He won’t be taking them to high.

colts are not going to start a rookie qb ballard will get a younger vet

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Malik hooker, Ben banague,kemeko turay

If you actually spent the time to do the research those guys were drafted where they were projected to be drafted.   At the time Hooker and Jamal Adams were a coin flip among many draft analysts..  Hooker has been very good for Dallas.    

I'm not sure BB was a need.   He was drafted on potential.   Bust for sure.   

Turay was considered a a stud.  Didn't work out.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What has Ballard done to make you think this?  You get yourself all hyped up every year hoping upon hope trades and signings will happen.     It's interesting  to watch

Archived