Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield Released..

Shadow_Creek

Not the answer, he stinks. This is what a lot of people don't take into account, THE DRAFT IS A CRAPSHOOT. Many in here were wanting Herbert in hindsight after the year he had last year. Herbert has a 20-22 record as of now and has a good team around him. Statistically he was much better last year, he has regressed. Baker went #1 in the draft and he isn't any better than Jacoby Brissett IMO. Some in here admitted they wanted Leaf over Peyton. Russell for the Raiders was a can't miss according to most - he was so bad that it was laughable and he went #1. Brady was the greatest all-time steal ever because that never happens getting someone like him in round 6. You can get a guy that is similar to Mahomes with a mid round pick if you do you homework but that is still rare. Fields is MEH, Bears can't even beat an over the hill Rodgers at home.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the answer, he stinks. This is what a lot of people don't take into account, THE DRAFT IS A CRAPSHOOT. Many in here were wanting Herbert in hindsight after the year he had last year. Herbert has a 20-22 record as of now and has a good team around him. Statistically he was much better last year, he has regressed. Baker went #1 in the draft and he isn't any better than Jacoby Brissett IMO. Some in here admitted they wanted Leaf over Peyton. Russell for the Raiders was a can't miss according to most - he was so bad that it was laughable and he went #1. Brady was the greatest all-time steal ever because that never happens getting someone like him in round 6. You can get a guy that is similar to Mahomes with a mid round pick if you do you homework but that is still rare. Fields is MEH, Bears can't even beat an over the hill Rodgers at home.

i'm not saying he would be our future but he would be at least more decent than what he have now

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not interested in Baker. But I always wanted Herbert. Check the archives.

Honestly, Indy would be stupid to not claim him on waivers. 

Sure, it's another gamble in a series of gambles, but he's got that fiery personality we have been clamoring for. He's got wheels to help the offensive line and he can bring a dynamic to our offense between him and JT that we just don't have with Ryan. 

The Panthers did him dirty, the Browns did him dirty. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well Herbert issue has been his entire offense besides Ekeler has been injured

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The answer to our problem is a young rookie to develop

We arent going to the playoffs this year

Why bring in a possible cancer?

Besides, he will expose our playbook by setting the password as 6 for his tablet. :) 

50 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he clears waivers or gets to SF maybe that’s a place he could go.

He has done well with dinking and dunking to RBs and WRs and TEs underneath, and still young enough to do boot legs.

His accuracy however has gone down the toilet compared to his rookie year where he showed promise.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Not interested in Baker. But I always wanted Herbert. Check the archives.

I actually think Herbert can still be good. Something isn't right in LA. I think their coaching doesn't help. Herbert has been better than I thought because I had him above average at best coming out of the draft and even thought me may bust. I will admit he had a good year in 2021. He has just regressed this year. I don't think they make the playoffs again.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'd take Herbert. He is very good. A few bad games or even a bad season does not make him a bad QB.

I liked Baker. I'm not sure what happened to him. Why was he released? (While I was on the plane returning home, I saw the report.) Is Darnold or the formerly 3rd string guy going to start?

This same head coach released Sam Bradford around this time in the season when he coached the Cardinals for one year. It may just be a coincidence but perhaps he does not have patience with QBs. 

:dunno:

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'd take Herbert. He is very good. A few bad games or even a bad season does not make him a bad QB.

I liked Baker. I'm not sure what happened to him. Why was he released? (While I was on the plane returning home, I saw the report.) Is Darnold or the formerly 3rd string guy going to start?

This same head coach released Sam Bradford around this time in the season when he coached the Cardinals for one year. It may just be a coincidence but perhaps he does not have patience with QBs. 

:dunno:

I don't think Darnold is any good either. I don't know the full story why Baker was released, he just hasn't been any good this season. Regarding Herbert, he can still be good but this season shows no matter what QB you draft, said QB can be inconsistent. Really only Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow have been consistently good to great out of the young guys. Lamar as well but he has been injury prone lately.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually think Herbert can still be good. Something isn't right in LA. I think their coaching doesn't help. Herbert has been better than I thought because I had him above average at best coming out of the draft and even thought me may bust. I will admit he had a good year in 2021. He has just regressed this year. I don't think they make the playoffs again.

Um, he's still good now. The Chargers OL has regressed -- they have two rookies who have started 9 and 12 games this season and one of them is a 6th rounder, Slater is injured, etc. Their WRs have been hurt all season. And Herbert has been nursing a rib injury all year.

He is still 4th in passing yards and 7th in TD passes. 

What's changed since his first two years is that he had a ridiculous amount of success in critical situations, which was statistically unsustainable. It was an outlier in his rookie year, and I expected some fall off going into Year 2, but he actually got even better. Now, those metrics have come back to a reasonable level, and they've lost some games that they would have been able to win in the past. And still, they're 6-6, and their WRs are starting to get healthy, and Herbert's ribs have started to heal. I don't know if they make the playoffs or not, but he's not holding them back.

Herbert is the real deal.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Um, he's still good now. The Chargers OL has regressed -- they have two rookies who have started 9 and 12 games this season and one of them is a 6th rounder, Slater is injured, etc. Their WRs have been hurt all season. And Herbert has been nursing a rib injury all year.

He is still 4th in passing yards and 7th in TD passes. 

What's changed since his first two years is that he had a ridiculous amount of success in critical situations, which was statistically unsustainable. It was an outlier in his rookie year, and I expected some fall off going into Year 2, but he actually got even better. Now, those metrics have come back to a reasonable level, and they've lost some games that they would have been able to win in the past. And still, they're 6-6, and their WRs are starting to get healthy, and Herbert's ribs have started to heal. I don't know if they make the playoffs or not, but he's not holding them back.

Herbert is the real deal.

Fair enough, would you say is better than Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow? I would not but I admitted that I was wrong about Herbert about possibly being a bust. He is good in flashes, I thought last year, very good at times. Until he can consistently lead the Chargers to the playoffs and play good in the playoffs, it is tough for me to say he is the real deal. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough, would you say is better than Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow? I would not but I admitted that I wrong about Herbert about possibly being a bust. He is good in flashes, I thought last year, very good at times. Until he can consistently lead the Chargers to the playoffs and play good in the playoffs, it is tough for me to say he the real deal. 

You're one of the best at asking totally irrelevant questions and moving the goal posts. 

He doesn't have to be better than those three to be the real deal. The Chargers -- just like the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals -- are set at QB for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're one of the best at asking totally irrelevant questions and moving the goal posts. 

He doesn't have to be better than those three to be the real deal. The Chargers -- just like the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals -- are set at QB for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the compliment. I asked you a simple a question and you couldn't even answer it. He isn't better than those 3 QB's, it was an easy answer. Is Herbert better than anyone we have, yes. I wish we had him, just because I am not sold on him doesn't mean I think the guy stinks. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks for the compliment. I asked you a simple a question and you couldn't even answer it. He isn't better than those 3 QB's, it was an easy answer. Is Herbert better than anyone we have, yes. I wish we had him, just because I am not sold on him doesn't mean I think the guy stinks. 

Is Josh Allen better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? If you can't answer that simple question, he must not be the real deal.

See how easy (and ridiculous) that is?

I never said you think he stinks. I said you're moving the goal posts. It doesn't matter whether he's better than any specific players. The question that needs to be answered is if he's good enough at playing QB to build a team around. And the answer to that is an emphatic yes. You're obviously free to disagree, but there's no doubt in my mind about it. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is Josh Allen better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? If you can't answer that simple question, he must not be the real deal.

See how easy (and ridiculous) that is?

I never said you think he stinks. I said you're moving the goal posts. It doesn't matter whether he's better than any specific players. The question that needs to be answered is if he's good enough at playing QB to build a team around. And the answer to that is an emphatic yes. You're obviously free to disagree, but there's no doubt in my mind about it. 

You are comparing 2 different era's and comparing Allen to the 2 best QB's ever to play, come on man. Really bad comparisons. My point to the whole thing is, in order to win the SB now days you need a top 3 QB in the league playing against your competition, you can do it with a Top 4-7 QB if you have a lights out defense like Stafford had last year. Herbert isn't top 3 even in his conference, I hope that explains what I am saying better. Brady and Manning were almost always the 2 best when they played and you know it so that always gave their team a chance to win in the playoffs. Brady still even gives the Bucs an outside shot of going deep in the playoffs this year at 45. You and I have a different definition of real deal. Andrew Luck was much better than Herbert in his 1st 3 seasons. We went 11-5 every year and won playoff games and Andrew carried a team without a running game, bad O.Line, and an average D. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Darnold is any good either. I don't know the full story why Baker was released, he just hasn't been any good this season. Regarding Herbert, he can still be good but this season shows no matter what QB you draft, said QB can be inconsistent. Really only Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow have been consistently good to great out of the young guys. Lamar as well but he has been injury prone lately.

Thanks. I'm surprised that two teams have ridded themselves of him. I have to read more of why he was so unceremoniously let go. Was he uncoachable? 

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I thought you did. My bad. 

I said Baker was bad. I even said I was wrong about Herbert because initially I thought he would be above average at best or may bust coming out of the draft. All I said was in a nut shell he has regressed this year and he isn't better than Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow. Nor has ever won in the playoffs and needs to prove he can. I think this a pretty fair post. Superman than throws in Peyton and Brady in their primes and ask me if Allen is better than them. Talk about off the wall. Hell, John Elway was better than anyone playing today expect for Brady. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I said Baker was bad. I even said I was wrong about Herbert because initially I thought he would be above average at best or may bust coming out of the draft. All I said was in a nut shell he has regressed this year and he isn't better than Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow. Nor has ever won in the playoffs and needs to prove he can. I think this a pretty fair post. Superman than throws in Peyton and Brady in their primes and ask me if Allen is better than them. Talk about off the wall. Hell, John Elway was better than anyone playing today expect for Brady. 

Okay. I get the both of you. His main point, I think, is that asking whether Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen was irrelevant to talking about whether or not Herbert was a "good QB". It is not mutually exclusive. They all can be described as "good QBs". 

I think we all understand what we are each trying to convey.

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. I get the both of you. His main point, I think, is that asking whether Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen was irrelevant to talking about whether or not Herbert was a "good QB". It is not mutually exclusive. They all can be described as "good QBs". 

I was just trying to make a point that I don't think Herbert is there yet regarding the top QB's. Top 5 in today's league. Lamar is better - he won an MVP, Hurts is even better if you by this year. Herbert is good and I get his point but why is it when I make a legit point or a good reasonable post that I am moving the goal posts or get piled on by some? I just don't get this place anymore. If you look at most of my debates I always respect the others view until they don't respect mine or they mis-read my posts. No big deal, Superman is great in here, excellent Mod. I get his point. 

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rams, commanders, lions looking into claim him.

Commanders and Lions, it doesn't make as much sense as the Rams, IMO, after seeing their backup play vs the Chiefs. Unless, wait for it...they don't think Wentz is worth much and the Lions think they can make a playoff run. 

Archived