Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield Released..

Shadow_Creek

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Commanders and Lions, it doesn't make as much sense as the Rams, IMO, after seeing their backup play vs the Chiefs. Unless, wait for it...they don't think Wentz is worth much and the Lions think they can make a playoff run. 

Rams bring out of playoff contention makes no sense. I Stafford will be back next year. It’s kind of sad how little Washington values Heinke.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rams bring out of playoff contention makes no sense. I Stafford will be back next year. It’s kind of sad how little Washington values Heinecke.

Heinecke is a Cowboy, likes to play Cowboy. He will throw it up a few times every single game that will either result in a great completion or INT, typically an INT. He is a shorter QB that has to roll out and sling it from outside the pocket, so he has to take chances, and with those come risks too. But Baker Mayfield is no different than Heinecke regarding his ability to see well inside the pocket. That is why it is puzzling. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Heinecke is a Cowboy, likes to play Cowboy. He will throw it up a few times every single game that will either result in a great completion or INT, typically an INT. He is a shorter QB that has to roll out and sling it from outside the pocket, so he has to take chances, and with those come risks too. But Baker Mayfield is no different than Heinecke regarding his ability to see well inside the pocket. That is why it is puzzling. 

He just keeps winning games and the players around him play harder too. There is a lot to be said for that. 

He will get claimed. By who? That’s the question. But he won’t clear waivers. Why not pick him up? He has more potential than Ryan or Foles…and far more experience than Ehlinger. I’m talking for next year..I mean who cares about this year. Say you don’t get the QB you want in the draft…having baker doesn’t hurt.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really bad comparisons.

Whoosh. 

The comparisons are pointless. Including the Andrew Luck comparison you're making now.

in order to win the SB now days you need a top 3 QB in the league playing against your competition

Herbert isn't top 3 even in his conference, I hope that explains what I am saying better.

The bolded is not true. You need a great QB, and there can be more than three great QBs, even in a conference. The 'top 3' distinction is pointless, so your ranking of Herbert doesn't matter.

You and I have a different definition of real deal.

Well that seems to be because you decided to make up a post hoc definition that would lend weight to your argument. I don't agree with the 'top 3' distinction. I don't agree with the 'his team wins in the playoffs' distinction. I actually watch these guys play and take into consideration their circumstances. I don't scout win/loss records or box scores.

And to add some flavor, and show I'm not chest-thumping, Tua needs to be talked about. I was not a fan when he was coming out, felt Herbert was a better prospect. I basically wrote Tua off last season, as nothing that he was supposed to be good at was showing up on Sundays. I still think Herbert is better, but Tua is having a great year, and probably belongs in the conversation with Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and yes, Herbert, as QBs who are good enough that their teams can feel set at QB.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Whoosh. 

The comparisons are pointless. Including the Andrew Luck comparison you're making now.

The bolded is not true. You need a great QB, and there can be more than three great QBs, even in a conference. The 'top 3' distinction is pointless, so your ranking of Herbert doesn't matter.

Well that seems to be because you decided to make up a post hoc definition that would lend weight to your argument. I don't agree with the 'top 3' distinction. I don't agree with the 'his team wins in the playoffs' distinction. I actually watch these guys play and take into consideration their circumstances. I don't scout win/loss records or box scores.

And to add some flavor, and show I'm not chest-thumping, Tua needs to be talked about. I was not a fan when he was coming out, felt Herbert was a better prospect. I basically wrote Tua off last season, as nothing that he was supposed to be good at was showing up on Sundays. I still think Herbert is better, but Tua is having a great year, and probably belongs in the conversation with Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and yes, Herbert, as QBs who are good enough that their teams can feel set at QB.

I would take Herbert over Tua, although Miami is having a better year. Here is why, Tua getting those concussions scares me, a QB can't last if that keeps happening. I also think Herbert is more talented. I am happy that Tua has made a nice come back. Tua is another one though, can he win in the playoffs? I think Lamar is better than both, he just got injured which is bad but it isn't season ending. His arm is underrated IMO and he is probably the fastest QB in the league. Ravens are dangerous because of him. He has won a game in the playoffs and has won an MVP. I just try and go by what I see. Hell, 3 years from now Herbert might win a SB, he is talented. I mean if he gets the right team around him it could happen. I just look at teams like the Chiefs, Bills, and Cincy who all have great QB's, also have great coaching that have the AFC on check. Ravens are my darkhorse.

22 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

He will get claimed. By who? That’s the question. But he won’t clear waivers. Why not pick him up? He has more potential than Ryan or Foles…and far more experience than Ehlinger. I’m talking for next year..I mean who cares about this year. Say you don’t get the QB you want in the draft…having baker doesn’t hurt.

He's a free agent after this season, so you still would need to re-sign him. And I think he'll be looking for a favorable situation in the offseason. 

I wouldn't mind Baker being on the roster, if he keeps his mouth shut. But I don't see him as a quality starter, especially not a contention level QB. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's a free agent after this season, so you still would need to re-sign him. And I think he'll be looking for a favorable situation in the offseason. 

I wouldn't mind Baker being on the roster, if he keeps his mouth shut. But I don't see him as a quality starter, especially not a contention level QB. 

Yea for sure. He wanted to come to Indy though so my guess is if he was claimed by wavers with Indy he’d be willing to sign a 1 year prove it deal for under 10m. Maybe even willing to sign around 5-7m. 

on a side note can you believe that the colts have played 13 games so far….and Matt Ryan has played 11 of those games and has 27 turnovers. That’s almost 2 1/2 turnovers per game. That’s just unbelievable really. I mean that’s even worse than Madden stats. 

By the way I am happy for Baker, people can laugh all they want at the people that said he stinks, but the Raiders defense is a dumpster fire. It is just 1 game, hell after the 2nd Jacksonville game, Matt Ryan looked like an MVP. If I remember right, Matt got player of the week that week. Raiders are a complete disaster, Matt even beat them. I do love the fact the Raiders are struggling because I can't stand McDaniels. I actually got a kick out of Baker's last drive. Hats off to the kid but he has been proven to be very inconsistent and he did stink his last year in Cleveland = fact, we will see.

Archived