Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to fix the colts

CR91

Couple things I wanna get out of the way first. One I don't think Frank gets fired not because I don't think he should, but because it's a short week and having an interim trying to get a team ready to play after they hear their HC got fired is too much of a distraction. Second with no JT for the foreseeable future, it's gonna really difficult to try to suggest ideas with how much he's involved in the offense. I honestly do not expect JT back for a month. High ankle sprains are one of the worst lingering injuries you can get especially for RBs. With that said, this is how I would try to savage the season.

Replace Frank with Bubba Vetrone - People have brought up John Fox, but I honestly don't think he wants to be a HC. For me, Bubba would be ideal just because I feel like he would get the guys to play hard. Right now, the colts especially on offense just don't have a spark and you see what the type of effort you get from our STs.

Have Brady call plays - maybe too much for him since he's only ever called plays in the CFL, but we gotta do something. Reich is too predictable and stuck in his ways to make clear adjustments that are completely obvious to anyone watching the game.

Replace Pryor at LT and move him to G - I honestly don't understand why the colts continue to try to force a square peg into a round hole. Pryor is not a T. He's a G and the faster the colts understand this, the sooner we can fix the line. 

Matt Ryan and Taylor need to play better - you can blame the line all you want, but their not the ones fumbling, hitting the wrong holes, missing the free blitzer, or not getting rid of the ball.

I know it’s a case of IF and not WHEN right now but the ship hasn’t sunk YET. Yes, the ceiling is middle of the road for this team. But nothing is out of the realm of possibility if we go on (say) a 5 game run and suddenly we’re back being talked about contending for the division. Bengals, last year, lost to the Jets and scrapped and clawed all year and look where they ended up even if they were the worst of the division winners.

The focus for this team just has to be small, 1 game at a time, really. Give it another 4 games before we bury them.

Yes that doesn’t gloss over talent or coaching issues they have but let’s talk after game 9. We haven’t lost 2 in a row yet, so until we do we just hope for the best.

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I know it’s a case of IF and not WHEN right now but the ship hasn’t sunk YET. Yes, the ceiling is middle of the road for this team. But nothing is out of the realm of possibility if we go on (say) a 5 game run and suddenly we’re back being talked about contending for the division. Bengals, last year, lost to the Jets and scrapped and clawed all year and look where they ended up even if they were the worst of the division winners.

The focus for this team just has to be small, 1 game at a time, really. Give it another 4 games before we bury them.

Yes that doesn’t gloss over talent or coaching issues they have but let’s talk after game 9. We haven’t lost 2 in a row yet, so until we do we just hope for the best.

One percent better every day!

I think Irsay is going to fire Reich & Ballard post Thursday night.  That will be the right step.  Then you start playing with unbalanced OL and max protect and simplify the offense.  That is what should happen.  

Next offseason you must fix the OL.  You need a LT, you don't need an overpaid OL.  You must get a QB.  Blow it up  I would insert Speed for Leonard and I would trade Nelson Buckner and Leonard to get a QB and LT.  

17 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I think Irsay is going to fire Reich & Ballard post Thursday night.  That will be the right step.  Then you start playing with unbalanced OL and max protect and simplify the offense.  That is what should happen.  

Next offseason you must fix the OL.  You need a LT, you don't need an overpaid OL.  You must get a QB.  Blow it up  I would insert Speed for Leonard and I would trade Nelson Buckner and Leonard to get a QB and LT.  

Irsay has never done that mid-season, that is why GMs and HCs want to be here, because they know they will get the rope to finish out a season. I doubt that will happen. It would be knee jerk because the 17 game season is truly a marathon.

Chargers are 2-2, Bucs are 2-2, Bengals are 2-2, any moves to fire GM or HC at this point will be a knee jerk decision. All teams are adjusting after the 1st quarter. If by the end of October, the team hasn't made strides, then it warrants discussions of firing etc. but it is WAY TOO EARLY now.

15 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Nobody wants Leonard at 20 million a year. 

6 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

But do you let them on the plane back haha

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Couple things I wanna get out of the way first. One I don't think Frank gets fired not because I don't think he should, but because it's a short week and having an interim trying to get a team ready to play after they hear their HC got fired is too much of a distraction. Second with no JT for the foreseeable future, it's gonna really difficult to try to suggest ideas with how much he's involved in the offense. I honestly do not expect JT back for a month. High ankle sprains are one of the worst lingering injuries you can get especially for RBs. With that said, this is how I would try to savage the season.

Replace Frank with Bubba Vetrone - People have brought up John Fox, but I honestly don't think he wants to be a HC. For me, Bubba would be ideal just because I feel like he would get the guys to play hard. Right now, the colts especially on offense just don't have a spark and you see what the type of effort you get from our STs.

Have Brady call plays - maybe too much for him since he's only ever called plays in the CFL, but we gotta do something. Reich is too predictable and stuck in his ways to make clear adjustments that are completely obvious to anyone watching the game.

Replace Pryor at LT and move him to G - I honestly don't understand why the colts continue to try to force a square peg into a round hole. Pryor is not a T. He's a G and the faster the colts understand this, the sooner we can fix the line. 

Matt Ryan and Taylor need to play better - you can blame the line all you want, but their not the ones fumbling, hitting the wrong holes, missing the free blitzer, or not getting rid of the ball.

Walk in the office with a big broom and start with Irsay, then Ballard and the coaching staff. Then  cut Ryan....trade Nelson and Leonard for a bag a chips and bottle of pop. Throw in Smith and Kelly. Honestly, if they lose against Denver, I would consider going with Ehlinger. Lets find out if this kid has anything. If he sucks, it just solidifies our draft position lol.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Listened to Lombard and his side kick this morning, He was absolutely shocked by the play of the Oline and disappointed in Ryan's play. He basically has them at the bottom of every category except for stopping the run. Just a bad team and quite disappointed by their overall play as he had high hopes for them.

I’d be fully in support of Bubba getting the interim job once frank has been sent home to think about the shame he has brought to town. He’s really the only one I’d be in favor of getting that position. I’d be mortified to see John Fox get it and somehow go .500 over the course and wind up with the job. 

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Walk in the office with a big broom and start with Irsay, then Ballard and the coaching staff. Then  cut Ryan....trade Nelson and Leonard for a bag a chips and bottle of pop. Throw in Smith and Kelly. Honestly, if they lose against Denver, I would consider going with Ehlinger. Lets find out if this kid has anything. If he sucks, it just solidifies our draft position lol.

You can't get rid of the owner unless he re-signs or he loses majority ownership

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Irsay has never done that mid-season, that is why GMs and HCs want to be here, because they know they will get the rope to finish out a season. I doubt that will happen. It would be knee jerk because the 17 game season is truly a marathon.

Chargers are 2-2, Bucs are 2-2, Bengals are 2-2, any moves to fire GM or HC at this point will be a knee jerk decision. All teams are adjusting after the 1st quarter. If by the end of October, the team hasn't made strides, then it warrants discussions of firing etc. but it is WAY TOO EARLY now.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I love Frank Reich as a person, but he needs to make some changes in coaching philosophy very soon - his job is on the line.  First, shave that weak beard and look confident and energetic on the sideline.  Right now you look like a defenseless harp seal.  Show some emotion and inspire your players. Second, if you must be involved in offensive play calling, script 15-20 plays with OC during week when you have time.  No more play calling during game.  Head Coach job is to oversee the entire game and micromanaging the offense play calling deflects your attention from the big picture. Third, stop going for it on 4th down early in the game.  You are not good at calling 4th down plays and we just need the points. 

Offensive line - Move Pryor to right guard, sign Eric Fisher to play Left tackle. At least we will have a run game. 

Matt Ryan - hold on to the damn ball with both hands.  No more fumbles

On 10/3/2022 at 8:20 PM, Maniac53 said:

How to fix the Colts?

Wait till end of season and let Irsay clean house!! (Hopefully)

:peek:

or 

The Colts can trade now QB Ryan to the Patriots for LT Isaiah Wynn and TE Hunter Henry as each Club's post-June would off-set the finances needed to make this trade a reality to an extent.  As for draft picks someone else would have to calculate a fair compensation.

Archived