Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Veteran NFL scout on Stanford QB Andrew Luck: "I don't think this kid is special in any way except his intangibles."

Jay305

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's to discuss? There's no explanation of the quote, no justification, nothing except "yeah he's not special lol". There's nothing TO discuss except another fruitless battle about his merits and downfalls. If this was an interesting article picking apart his game then there'd be things for discussion but as it is, I just see this as you attempting to rile up people who are against Andrew Luck. There's no discussion here, only a wind up attempt. Run away, find a decent article with balanced, justified criticisms of him that actually has discussion points, then try again. For now, go pray to your Robert Griffin III mural or something.

"You know what you're going to get with Luck," said another scout. "It's going to be good."

^^Also from the article.

The title of the thread is the only "negative" comment about Luck. The rest are glowing. And his numbers from the combine...man, I get excited each time I see 'em!

"Luck measured 6 feet 4 inches, weighed 235 and ran 40 yards in 4.64 seconds. His vertical jump of 36 inches tied the

average for wide receivers, his broad jump of 10-4 was 5 inches longer and his times in the shuttle runs that gauge change

of direction, quickness and burst were at or near the wide-receiver average."

Luck is our man. He's going to do well. I have no doubts.

"You know what you're going to get with Luck," said another scout. "It's going to be good."

^^Also from the article.

The title of the thread is the only "negative" comment about Luck. The rest are glowing. And his numbers from the combine...man, I get excited each time I see 'em!

"Luck measured 6 feet 4 inches, weighed 235 and ran 40 yards in 4.64 seconds. His vertical jump of 36 inches tied the

average for wide receivers, his broad jump of 10-4 was 5 inches longer and his times in the shuttle runs that gauge change

of direction, quickness and burst were at or near the wide-receiver average."

Luck is our man. He's going to do well. I have no doubts.

You know another quote from the article?

"Andrew Luck is the safest, most no-brainer, franchise-maker, I think Hall of Famer I've seen. Look at his measurables. He's perfect."

Not too bad, eh?

Didnt you jump ship last year and become a Packers fan?

No, even though I always liked Green Bay. Even the Packers fans I talk to know my heart belongs to the Colts. Very chill fanbase though, very intelligent and passionate. I hope they succeed but not at the expense of my Colts.

I long the day people jump of a collegiate QBs ****.

This sentence makes no sense to me?

I guess I should not be ashamed to admit I did want us to lose eventually last year. I wanted to win one or two to avoid 0-16. But I wanted to secure the first pick. And get rid of Caldwell.

I found nothing wrong with it either. Our ex GM and genius sat starters when we were 14-0 and on the verge of history so I honestly did not mind them getting a taste of their own medicine. A reverse 14-2 in 2-14.

Luck's measureables & wonderlic score are very impressive...perhaps the best combination of attributes that we've seen in one prospect in awhile. What we don't know about him yet is if he has that fire that Peyton, Elway, Marino, Brady and other great ones have. Many weren't quite as bally hooed coming out of college but they possessed that unquantifiable charisma factor. Luck has done it all in college now we get to see if he can translate to the pro game. He has all the tools to succeed...time to see if he knows how to apply them effectively to become elite at the next level.

Luck's measureables & wonderlic score are very impressive...perhaps the best combination of attributes that we've seen in one prospect in awhile. What we don't know about him yet is if he has that fire that Peyton, Elway, Marino, Brady and other great ones have. Many weren't quite as bally hooed coming out of college but they possessed that unquantifiable charisma factor. Luck has done it all in college now we get to see if he can translate to the pro game. He has all the tools to succeed...time to see if he knows how to apply them effectively to become elite at the next level.

This may sound strange but of course I hope he has fire but I also hope he has a chill factor too.....like Eli in a way. I swear there is no QB I trust more in the 4th quarter of a big game anymore if you need a TD. It's tough to even admit that but it's true.

I remember hearing Steve Young not long ago say he never felt Eli had "it". What you needed inside....the fire and the desire. But, he does he said. I guess it just comes across differently.

We don't know how Luck will be but I think he seems like a very cool and smart guy, maybe even a tad shy at times.

The other is our QB. Our future. Do you hope he someday has great success in this league?

I have no problem with Luck. I just hate over hyping by fans. Just like Tebow. Just like LeBron, except LeBron is a little different. Honestly what have they done to deserve the praise? Luck is a fantastic collegiate QB, but he is in the NFL now. Hold the praise.

I have no problem with Luck. I just hate over hyping by fans. Just like Tebow. Just like LeBron, except LeBron is a little different. Honestly what have they done to deserve the praise? Luck is a fantastic collegiate QB, but he is in the NFL now. Hold the praise.

Doesn't that then require the position that every single college player entering the draft is equal?

The difference one has the resume to back it up. The other has nothing.

No, the difference is, One is the future Colts QB and the other is 1100 miles away playing for a different franchise. If one choose's to hang onto a broken heart forever and cry in their basement all day, everyday, then thats their choice, but most of us have decided to embrace the future and get over it.

What else would you like to talk about? What else is supposed to pump up the fanbase? From what I gather, most Colts fans are not expecting very many wins. They can be excited about Luck's potential though. This kid is a stud.

one thing that Luck has that we have not been used to seeing is the ability to run without looking like he is dragging a 1000 pound anchor

This may sound strange but of course I hope he has fire but I also hope he has a chill factor too.....like Eli in a way. I swear there is no QB I trust more in the 4th quarter of a big game anymore if you need a TD. It's tough to even admit that but it's true.

I remember hearing Steve Young not long ago say he never felt Eli had "it". What you needed inside....the fire and the desire. But, he does he said. I guess it just comes across differently.

We don't know how Luck will be but I think he seems like a very cool and smart guy, maybe even a tad shy at times.

Yeah I know what you mean about the Eli thing...I see him as a baby faced assassin now...ice water in the clutch. If we get a little of that from Luck then I'd definitely be cool with that. Eli showed he definitely has "the fire" but like you say he just carries his flame different.

Doesn't that then require the position that every single college player entering the draft is equal?

Exactly, Luck is no better than Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden or anyone else at this point in the NFL.

No, the difference is, One is the future Colts QB and the other is 1100 miles away playing for a different franchise. If one choose's to hang onto a broken heart forever and cry in their basement all day, everyday, then thats their choice, but most of us have decided to embrace the future and get over it.

This has nothing to do with Manning as a Bronco. So if that is the argument Luck hypers are always going to use then you need a new one. The point was one is successful in the NFL, and deserves the praise he gets. The other has done zero in the NFL, and is given false praisers as an NFL QB.

What else would you like to talk about? What else is supposed to pump up the fanbase? From what I gather, most Colts fans are not expecting very many wins. They can be excited about Luck's potential though. This kid is a stud.

Not in the NFL.

one thing that Luck has that we have not been used to seeing is the ability to run without looking like he is dragging a 1000 pound anchor

Yeah I know! I whole heartedly agree with that statement and it is one of the main reasons why I am excited about watching him play qb for us. I also like the fact that he will not just stand there if one of his passes is intercepted. He actually makes a legitimate attempt at tackling some body.

Ok, I get your point. I don't think anyone on this particular thread has said "Luck is going to be the best QB in the NFL."

Instead, what I read are people hopeful that he will be the best. We as Colts fans want our new QB to be great. His numbers at the combine are awesome. And there are some quotes that we like that NFL scouts (guys that have been doing this as a profession for years) have said about him. We are deciding as a fan base to get on board and get excited. What's wrong with that?

I haven't heard or seen anyone say that he is great in the NFL. That can't be said yet seeing as how he has yet to be drafted and an NFL game has yet to be played in his professional career. I get that college and the NFL are two completely different types of football. I argue that point alot myself, but it is ok for us to have hope that Luck will pan out.

Don't you think?

This has nothing to do with Manning as a Bronco. So if that is the argument Luck hypers are always going to use then you need a new one. The point was one is successful in the NFL, and deserves the praise he gets. The other has done zero in the NFL, and is given false praisers as an NFL QB.

This is 100% utter nonsense. There isn't a yr. that goes by that some player don't get hyped up. It's the entire point of the NFL draft process. I would be willing to bet that you've never had a problem with it before this yr.. There is also the fact that, whether you like it or not, that Luck has been and still is considered the best QB prospect in 25+ yrs..

Will he live up to it? Who knows, but he is ours and most of the fanbase choose's to embrace him and hope he becomes exactly what most think he will. You, on the other hand, just keep throwing negativity around on this forum on a daily basis because you are upset that Manning was let go, deny it if you must but we all know it's the truth.

Most of us hope that he meets expectations and even exceeds those expectations, but you and a couple others seem to want to throw jabs at him at every given opportunity.