Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com projected AFC win totals 2022

Solid84

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  That’s why I think we have a chance at the number one seed.

Maybe, but it’s likely a distant chance.   The Colts are at 10.3.   It’s not like the Chiefs are at 10.4 and the Bills are 10.5.    We’re not close to them.   KC is at 10.7 and Buffalo at 11.7.    They’re both comfortably ahead of us.

So is your hope possible?    Yes.   But is it  likely?    Not very. 

Just to add to that, we had some very solid, impressive games last year. A lot of whiners on here seem to forget we were 9-6 with two very easy, winnable games staring us right in the face but somehow managed to lose to 2 vastly inferior teams, both of whom had changed coaches during the season. It's laughable, not to mention downright ridiculous. We upgraded the most important position on the field so that alone puts us in a better position going into this season.

Greetings from Nashville.

Colts seem to be favored this year to win the AFC South. We'll see how this shakes out but you have the strength to make it happen. The TItans are coming off from their #1 seed-and-out year. Normally I'd give our chances to repeat pretty favorably but having lost A.J. Brown to trade and Harold Landry to injury last week, we've now got some holes to fill.  I think the DBs will compensate for Landry's loss....that was the most stout group on the team. But our #1 receiver is now Nick Westbrook-Ikine, who began his career as an UDFA. He's good, but not AJ Brown good. A lot of hope rides on veteren Robert Woods and rookie Treylon Burks, who was drafted specifically to fill the Aj Brown spot.

And will Derrick Henry come back acting like the King again or will age and mileage finally begin taking their toll? Hard to tell but he's looked really good in training camp. And now Tannehill has something to prove with rookie QB Malik Willis drafted as his heir-apparent. He's still very green but he's already shown that he has the skills to make the defense account for his feet and his arm. And he throws a sidearm pitch, not unlike Mahomes.

But everything will hinge on the ability for the O-line to keep Tannehill upright and I'm pretty worried on this one. The right tackle position is still iffy thanks to 2nd year Dillun Radenz not impressing enough in camp to seize the position....hell, he's not even a starting guard.

Lastly, the special teams wildcard is the new punter, Ryan Stonehouse. He replaces long time punter, 2 time Pro Bowler Brett Kern whose been Mr. "Coffin Kerner" since 2009. Brett Kern was still punting well but at age 36, the open question is how much does he have left in the tank. Stonehouse has a special leg with the ability to kick some ridiculous range. If we're punting out of the end zone, the receiver may have to set up at the 25 yard line. Yes, he can punt that far with 5+ second hang time. Whether he can do the accuracy that Kern was well known for is an open question, but he did well in the pre-season.

24 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

Colts seem to be favored this year to win the AFC South. We'll see how this shakes out but you have the strength to make it happen. The TItans are coming off from their #1 seed-and-out year. Normally I'd give our chances to repeat pretty favorably but having lost A.J. Brown to trade and Harold Landry to injury last week, we've now got some holes to fill.  I think the DBs will compensate for Landry's loss....that was the most stout group on the team. But our #1 receiver is now Nick Westbrook-Ikine, who began his career as an UDFA. He's good, but not AJ Brown good. A lot of hope rides on veteren Robert Woods and rookie Treylon Burks, who was drafted specifically to fill the Aj Brown spot.

And will Derrick Henry come back acting like the King again or will age and mileage finally begin taking their toll? Hard to tell but he's looked really good in training camp. And now Tannehill has something to prove with rookie QB Malik Willis drafted as his heir-apparent. He's still very green but he's already shown that he has the skills to make the defense account for his feet and his arm. And he throws a sidearm pitch, not unlike Mahomes.

But everything will hinge on the ability for the O-line to keep Tannehill upright and I'm pretty worried on this one. The right tackle position is still iffy thanks to 2nd year Dillun Radenz not impressing enough in camp to seize the position....hell, he's not even a starting guard.

Lastly, the special teams wildcard is the new punter, Ryan Stonehouse. He replaces long time punter, 2 time Pro Bowler Brett Kern whose been Mr. "Coffin Kerner" since 2009. Brett Kern was still punting well but at age 36, the open question is how much does he have left in the tank. Stonehouse has a special leg with the ability to kick some ridiculous range. If we're punting out of the end zone, the receiver may have to set up at the 25 yard line. Yes, he can punt that far with 5+ second hang time. Whether he can do the accuracy that Kern was well known for is an open question, but he did well in the pre-season.

Nice summary.  We all have questions about our teams.  And we all hope the answers are already in place.  We will begin to see in just a few days!

On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe, but it’s likely a distant chance.   The Colts are at 10.3.   It’s not like the Chiefs are at 10.4 and the Bills are 10.5.    We’re not close to them.   KC is at 10.7 and Buffalo at 11.7.    They’re both comfortably ahead of us.

I have us and the Chiefs both winning 11. Chiefs simply play in a better division is why and we may beat the Chiefs when we play them. That game is here. I have Buffalo winning 13 and that was before they smoked the Rams.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Sevenfeet said:

My uncle in Kentucky is a huge Titans fan (he has been since the team moved to Tennessee, he loved McNair - RIP). He has been getting the last laugh on me lately after we dominated for years. He like me aren't big on Tannehill though, his game vs Cincy in the playoffs was Wentz like. I think Matt Ryan is simple better than both those guys, Wentz was more like Tannehill and Wentz made some crucial mistakes last year. 2nd game vs you guys was the back breaker because that was the separation in the AFC South standings, those 2 INT's we killers. Once you got the sweep it was to big of a hill to climb. Then to end the season that Jags debacle was so bad, I was probably just as mad as Irsay was lmao . FWIW I have you guys winning tomorrow, Giants are bad. Both teams should be 1-0 to start.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have us and the Chiefs both winning 11. Chiefs simply play in a better division is why and we may beat the Chiefs when we play them. That game is here. I have Buffalo winning 13 and that was before they smoked the Rams.

Remember, the poster I was responding to thought the Colts had a chance to end up with the number one seed.     #1. 

Is it possible?   Sure.    I don’t think anyone thought Tennessee would end up with it last year, but they did.   And I don’t think anyone thought Cincy would make it to the Super Bowl last year either,  but they did. 

I just don’t think it’s likely. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Remember, the poster I was responding to thought the Colts had a chance to end up with the number one seed.     #1. 

Is it possible?   Sure.    I don’t think anyone thought Tennessee would end up with it last year, but they did.   And I don’t think anyone thought Cincy would make it to the Super Bowl last year either,  but they did. 

I just don’t think it’s likely. 

Yeah I can see getting a #2 seed but Buffalo IMO will get that #1 seed this year. Buffalo is beatable, we beat them last year in Buffalo badly but that was only 1 game. Different year now. Chargers may win 11 as well. I have Cincy pegged at 10.

On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You realize that's .75 game, and 1.5 games roughly, right?  As far as predictions go.... That's not exactly a lock to finish light years ahead of the Colts prediction.

I have been wrong many times but also have been right on occasion. I still think Matt Ryan is good and see him being Rivers like this year which will get us to 11 if we stay relatively healthy. 11 will win the division IMO as long as we split with Tennessee. Tennessee has 9 or 10 wins wrote all over them. Losing Brown and Landry are big losses. Henry isn't getting younger either, RB's age bad for the most part when having being used a lot for 3 or 4 years. Henry has been used a ton since 2019 and coming off a foot injury to boot.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been wrong many times but also have been right on occasion. I still think Matt Ryan is good and see him being Rivers like this year which will get us to 11 if we stay relatively healthy. 11 will win the division IMO as long as we split with Tennessee. Tennessee has 9 or 10 wins wrote all over them. Losing Brown and Landry are big losses. Henry isn't getting younger either, RB's age bad for the most part when having being used a lot for 3 or 4 years. Henry has been used a ton since 2019 and coming off a foot injury to boot.

So exactly why does TN have a winning record written all over them? All the points you make are opposite of that claim.

That said, watch TN do something like upset Buffalo early and leave us goin wth?

4 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

You realize that's .5 game, and 1.25 games roughly, right?  As far as predictions go.... That's not exactly a lock to finish light years ahead of the Colts prediction.

Look at my other posts in this thread.    I think I answered that pretty clearly.

Yes,  it’s possible.   I just don’t think it’s very likely.   And the gap at the top of the chart is pretty sizable in relative terms.  

4 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

So exactly why does TN have a winning record written all over them? All the points you make are opposite of that claim.

Because of the division we play in and their schedule. They should sweep Houston and Jacksonville, they also are good enough to get wins against teams like the Giants and Commanders. I also think Henry is still the 2nd best RB in the league so he will carry them to at least 9-8.

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 4:41 PM, Solid84 said:

NFL.com published an article by Cynthia Frelund on the projected win totals in the AFC:

AFC win totals 2022

The Colts are projected as the 3rd highest win total at 10.3 after the Bills and the Chiefs. 

Yep, I guess the people over there know nothing and they do this for a living. 10.3 wins.

Archived