Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

name the weak spot on the OL (5 starters) after the 1st PS game and how can we fix it

ruf

i did not see the game but what i've heard from the message board it may be this:

Kelly: he seems to be the weak one of the starters---solution would be start Pinter at C and move Fries to starting RG

what are some of your opinions after looking at the PS game against the bills? my concern is that our 1st string line did not do very well against their 2nd string

3 minutes ago, ruf said:

i did not see the game but what i've heard from the message board it may be this:

Kelly: he seems to be the weak one of the starters---solution would be start Pinter at C and move Fries to starting RG

what are some of your opinions after looking at the PS game against the bills? my concern is that our 1st string line did not do very well against their 2nd string

Kelly is the weak spot on the OL?   After one game?!?    Oh boy……

For right now, today….    I’d guess the answers are the two unknowns….  Pryor and Pinter.  But that’s just for today.   Could be different a week from today, or two weeks from today.  But until they’ve proven themselves, the kids are the question marks. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For right now, today….    I’d guess the answers are the two unknowns….  Pryor and Pinter.  But that’s just for today.   Could be different a week from today, or two weeks from today.  But until they’ve proven themselves, the kids are the question marks. 

Yeah I was going to say LT.

I like Pinter and Fries at RG

Jury is out on Prior still. Raimann has some work to do.

Was thinking about Fisher earlier, I think he is still available? Maybe not? Could be option if they don't like what we got there.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

thanks, but what i was picking up from the MB hear was that LT was good and we all know that Pinter is better and proven at C and when our first team line was in there it was not as good as it should have been and i heard it was getting beat up the middle so that would rule out Q and only leave kelly and Pinter

1 minute ago, ruf said:

thanks, but what i was picking up from the MB hear was that LT was good and we all know that Pinter is better and proven at C and when our first team line was in there it was not as good as it should have been and i heard it was getting beat up the middle so that would rule out Q and only leave kelly and Pinter

Sorry….    MB?    I don’t know who or what that means?    

As for Pinter, I like him fine.   But he’s only got a handful of games under his belt.  He’s not proven until he’s had much more success over a full season.   

It’s way, WAY too early to know much of anything.   I don’t expect we will know much more by the end of pre-season.   Live bullets from the regular season are totally different than pre-season.   So, for example, Pryor may look fine in the pre-season.  But once the regular season starts the games are faster, more physical, and more complicated and Pryor might be exposed.   That’s why I typically urge caution about rushing to judgement this time of year. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….    MB?    I don’t know who or what that means?    

As for Pinter, I like him fine.   But he’s only got a handful of games under his belt.  He’s not proven until he’s had much more success over a full season.   

It’s way, WAY too early to know much of anything.   I don’t expect we will know much more by the end of pre-season.   Live bullets from the regular season are totally different than pre-season.   So, for example, Pryor may look fine in the pre-season.  But once the regular season starts the games are faster, more physical, and more complicated and Pryor might be exposed.   That’s why I typically urge caution about rushing to judgement this time of year. 

MB= message board

just concerned about that pressure up the middle with our 1st unit.

on another OL that Murray guy, he is something like 6'9" 300 and something. he got beat really bad at 2nd team RT with his size should they try him at RG?

9 minutes ago, ruf said:

MB= message board

just concerned about that pressure up the middle with our 1st unit.

on another OL that Murray guy, he is something like 6'9" 300 and something. he got beat really bad at 2nd team RT with his size should they try him at RG?

My early read on Murray is that he may be 6’9” and 325, but I’m guessing he’s not ready to be an NFL athlete.   I think he needs a year in a strength and conditioning program.   And 6’9” would seem way too tall.  

As for message board wisdom, I typically find it all over the map.   I wasn’t overly impressed with Pryor.   But every year there’s always a rush to judgement about new players.   It’s just way too soon.  

Kind of expected to experience some growing pains on our OL with new starters.  Pryor at LT seems legit and Pinter can play both RG/Center.  Even impressed with French's play at Center although he did get a flag this weekend.  Smith is puzzling at times and seems to have lost his edge.

To me we lack depth players who don't need PS grooming.  One player that the Colts might consider is Phil Haynes (Seahawks) at RG.  Haynes is having a great camp and making a case as the starting RG.

4 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Raimann LT

Q LG

Pinter C

Smith RG

Pryor RT

Trade Kelley now while teams need C, we could get more value for him.

Let me have it!

I was having some thoughts along these lines as well.

More so if we brought back Fisher to play LT, if they weren't happy were we are. I think he is still available.

Don't see it happening. Either one of them trading Kelly or bringing back in Fisher.

On top of that, our guard cap spending would be off the charts with Q and Smith. 

44 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Raimann LT

Q LG

Pinter C

Smith RG

Pryor RT

Let me have it!

I really like this idea. however i don't think Raimann is the answer at LT

this would open up the right side of the line especially running the ball

i know this has been discussed before but MAYBE moving Q (after paying him LT money) over to LT and plug in Fries at LG or whoever may me best there

i think that would really fix our OL

5 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

After one pre season game can we get a new fan base? Who can we recruit?

and your point is?

maybe we can watch the play in joint practice and see how our OL does against their DL

I will tell you ahead of time what will be said: "the Lions has a very good DL so no worries about our weakness on our starting 5" watch what happens this week and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong (bye the way i hope i am)

1 hour ago, ruf said:

and your point is?

maybe we can watch the play in joint practice and see how our OL does against their DL

I will tell you ahead of time what will be said: "the Lions has a very good DL so no worries about our weakness on our starting 5" watch what happens this week and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong (bye the way i hope i am)

Preseason is evaluation time and where the team needs to improve.  But it's not the time to make a quick judgment like some on here do is my gripe. These next 3 weeks you play practice/play games and the coaching staff makes the decisions that best fits the team.  The Colts O-line has been very good over the last few years and that's one area I'm not worried. Watch tape and get better

46 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Preseason is evaluation time and where the team needs to improve.  But it's not the time to make a quick judgment like some on here do is my gripe. These next 3 weeks you play practice/play games and the coaching staff makes the decisions that best fits the team.  The Colts O-line has been very good over the last few years and that's one area I'm not worried. Watch tape and get better

Its almost comical.

After 1 pre season game, some want to reshuffle the entire offensive line....too funny !

Ballard and company are happy with current young receiving corp...some on here know better and think signing self centered, oft injured  OBJ , even though he won't be available until last quarter if the season, is the answer. 

Brilliant!

8 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

i think today they did make some changes on the OL so maybe the coaches are already seeing a problem. i hope they correct it now before we lose to the jags again because our OL can't keep their DL our of our backfield

15 hours ago, w87r said:

More so if we brought back Fisher to play LT, if they weren't happy were we are. I think he is still available.

Don't see it happening. Either one of them trading Kelly or bringing back in Fisher.

On top of that, our guard cap spending would be off the charts with Q and Smith. 

If they were going to bring Fisher back they would have done it already.  Raimann doesn’t look close to ready so I think you could ruin what would could be a good player by rushing him too soon.  Also, the whole Colts offense is built around running Taylor behind Nelson and Kelly.  They aren’t going to move any of those three players.  

The Colts will figure out the best 5 among Q, Kelly,  Smith, Pinter, Raimann, Pryor, Fries, and D.Kelly.  I was hoping they would trade R.Kelly this past offseason but at this point I highly doubt he goes anywhere. 

French vs VanDenmark for the last spot.  If D.Kelly is healthy my money is on French. 

17 hours ago, w87r said:

Our tackle spending would be well below, also. Signing Fischer would make it easier. We wouldn't have back ups at the tackle. If French keeps playing like he did against the Bills we would have our back up C. Pinter really impressed me against Cardinals last year alot more athletic than Kelly. Our carousel of QBs all said samething about how smart Kelly is though with line calls so that might hurt if he leaves.

21 hours ago, Matabix said:

Raimann LT

Q LG

Pinter C

Smith RG

Pryor RT

Let me have it!

Well

Kelly move save $3.5M WITH a $10.5 M Cap hit.  So NO!

Raimann at this time sounds wrong.

I really like your moves though. Smith could be better as a RG. IMO

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well

Kelly move save $3.5M WITH a $10.5 M Cap hit.  So NO!

Raimann at this time sounds wrong.

I really like your moves though. Smith could be better as a RG. IMO

Would need Fischer cause we know Pryor is solid at RT

On 8/15/2022 at 11:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

My early read on Murray is that he may be 6’9” and 325, but I’m guessing he’s not ready to be an NFL athlete.   I think he needs a year in a strength and conditioning program.   And 6’9” would seem way too tall.  

As for message board wisdom, I typically find it all over the map.   I wasn’t overly impressed with Pryor.   But every year there’s always a rush to judgement about new players.   It’s just way too soon.  

Yup, his only place on the team is trying to block punts, fg's, and xtra points, at this point.  Not sure that is actually roster worthy...

1 hour ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Yup, his only place on the team is trying to block punts, fg's, and xtra points, at this point.  Not sure that is actually roster worthy...

Its not roster worthy, but it IS practice squad worthy.    I was surprised to see some people list him as a cut candidate.   Way too soon for that.    Cut him now, he likely is claimed.   Cut him late in camp and I think his chances of sneaking through improve.   A year on the PS getting top level S&C from us and he might just be an entirely different player next year.  That would certainly be my hope….

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its not roster worthy, but it IS practice squad worthy.    I was surprised to see some people list him as a cut candidate.   Way too soon for that.    Cut him now, he likely is claimed.   Cut him late in camp and I think his chances of sneaking through improve.   A year on the PS getting top level S&C from us and he might just be an entirely different player next year.  That would certainly be my hope….

Thank you for your perspective, always appreciated and respected!

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If they were going to bring Fisher back they would have done it already.  Raimann doesn’t look close to ready so I think you could ruin what would could be a good player by rushing him too soon.  Also, the whole Colts offense is built around running Taylor behind Nelson and Kelly.  They aren’t going to move any of those three players.  

Thank you!    You covered every possible aspect of why this is not happening, certainly not now.    Maybe next year, and that’s a very BIG maybe.   

Way way too much potential downside, not nearly enough potential upside for 2022.   

Archived