Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big year for Jonathan Taylor?

Bolt Colt

Which offensive star will stay hot in 2022?

by Jack Browne

TheScore's football editors give a verdict on whether 2021 breakout players will continue their success in 2022.

Jonathan Taylor, RB, Colts

2021 stats: 332 carries, 1,811 yards, 18 TDs; 40 catches, 360 yards, 2 TDs

Taylor made the leap to superstardom in 2021 thanks to much greater consistency. While he was explosive as a rookie, he sometimes left easy yards on the field due to vision or timing. But he became a first-down machine in 2022, moving the sticks on 107 of his 332 carries. His 32.2% conversion rate was by far the best among running backs.

The 23-year-old broke opposing defenses' wills with game-changing plays week in and week out. He led the league in runs over 10 yards (51), 20 yards (14), and 40 yards (five). Taylor seemed to have found a new gear in 2022, earning the season's fastest recorded time on a 67-yard touchdown in Week 15, as well as two other spots in the top five.

Taylor deserved his unanimous selection as a first-team All-Pro. While he benefited from playing behind one of the best run-blocking units, that advantage was arguably offset by the Indianapolis Colts' ineffective passing attack. With Matt Ryan replacing Carson Wentz, Taylor is set up for another monster campaign.

Verdict: BREAKOUT

4 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

Which offensive star will stay hot in 2022?

by Jack Browne

TheScore's football editors give a verdict on whether 2021 breakout players will continue their success in 2022.

Jonathan Taylor, RB, Colts

2021 stats: 332 carries, 1,811 yards, 18 TDs; 40 catches, 360 yards, 2 TDs

Taylor made the leap to superstardom in 2021 thanks to much greater consistency. While he was explosive as a rookie, he sometimes left easy yards on the field due to vision or timing. But he became a first-down machine in 2022, moving the sticks on 107 of his 332 carries. His 32.2% conversion rate was by far the best among running backs.

The 23-year-old broke opposing defenses' wills with game-changing plays week in and week out. He led the league in runs over 10 yards (51), 20 yards (14), and 40 yards (five). Taylor seemed to have found a new gear in 2022, earning the season's fastest recorded time on a 67-yard touchdown in Week 15, as well as two other spots in the top five.

Taylor deserved his unanimous selection as a first-team All-Pro. While he benefited from playing behind one of the best run-blocking units, that advantage was arguably offset by the Indianapolis Colts' ineffective passing attack. With Matt Ryan replacing Carson Wentz, Taylor is set up for another monster campaign.

Verdict: BREAKOUT

I think his production will depend entirely on whether or not our passing game gets going this season. He'll face a lot of stacked boxes early in the season and this only changes if Ryan kicks our passing game into another gear. Also 2 of 5 new starters on the Oline - the run-blocking could look very different this year.

His carries and production will likely decrease a bit. 

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think his production will depend entirely on whether or not our passing game gets going this season. He'll face a lot of stacked boxes early in the season and this only changes if Ryan kicks our passing game into another gear. Also 2 of 5 new starters on the Oline - the run-blocking could look very different this year.

His stacked box carry rate has been among the lowest in the league the last two seasons. 31st and 27th. Things could certainly change this season, but I was surprised they didn't key on him more later last season. 

It’s gonna be hard to back up what he did last year. And personally , I’d like to see his touches reduced to prolong his career. Hopefully Ryan can run this offense in a much more balanced and effective way than Wentz. 

Business side of me says run the wheels off him and get as much production as you can the next two years. Im honestly surprised he isnt holding out. He is being paid peanuts for what he provides. 

I think he has a reduction of about 25% in production. Mainly bc teams will lineup to stop him and force old man Ryan and the young unproven receivers to make plays. I think they will along with Hines receiving a bigger role. JT will have his moments but there are a lot of weapons on this team that will get the ball too. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Business side of me says run the wheels off him and get as much production as you can the next two years. Im honestly surprised he isnt holding out. He is being paid peanuts for what he provides. 

I think he has a reduction of about 25% in production. Mainly bc teams will lineup to stop him and force old man Ryan and the young unproven receivers to make plays. I think they will along with Hines receiving a bigger role. JT will have his moments but there are a lot of weapons on this team that will get the ball too. 

Ryan is going to kill those who stack up on him.
Less carries is Good. 1400 yds for a RB would be a big year for a diversified offense. He should get more great opportunities catching passes and that should be really good for big gains. :rock:

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ryan is going to kill those who stack up on him.
Less carries is Good. 1400 yds for a RB would be a big year for a diversified offense. He should get more great opportunities catching passes and that should be really good for big gains. :rock:

Oh yeah.  JT should have an incredible year.  Just dont see him needing to rush for 1500yds.  Ryan will take what the defense gives him. 

Archived