Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interviewing Joe Cullen for DC

Jackie Daytona

6 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

SMH like the first person you think about bringing in is the DC of the team with the worst record in nfl and the secondary coach of the number 32nd ranked pass defense. And yes I said 32 out of 32 smh. I’ll stand pat on frank and Ballard relationships have costed us more than not over the years…. Philip over Brady, Fischer over Leno , Carson over Stafford etc… just to name a few. 

I would love to agree with you on the first part of your post. But I dont think you can completely blame the DC for the Jags struggles. I mean it is the Jags.

Secondly, how in the world can you blame Frank and Ballard for those players not wanting to play here. You do realize players do have a choice on where they want to sign and play right?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

I would love to agree with you on the first part of your post. But I dont think you can completely blame the DC for the Jags struggles. I mean it is the Jags.

Secondly, how in the world can you blame Frank and Ballard for those players not wanting to play here. You do realize players do have a choice on where they want to sign and play right?

On the first part of the post I just stated facts he is the DC of team with worst record in league. All of them I named had expressed interest in playing for colts but Ballard and Frank when with the other due to previous relationships 

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Strikes me as another ‘Ballard wants to be the smartest man in the room’ situation. 

Like his draftpicks he’s trying to find a hidden gem instead of going with production. 

Ahhhha….   Uhhhh….   Ehhhh…..

Spoiler Alert :  Ballard IS the smartest person in any Colts room he walks into.   

Wowza….  I had no idea you were so down on Ballard.  

Okie-Dokie…. 

8 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Someone please explain to me why we haven’t requested interviews from Fangio, Flores, and Zimmer, and why we’re interviewing the DC that got 50 points dumped on him by Mac Jones.

Maybe we’re not really interviewing him for DC.   Maybe we’re more interested in him as the next DL coach? 

As for Flores, he’s likely interested in interviewing for HC jobs at this moment.   It’s still very early in the process.   I think too many are reading too much into too little.   Let’s see what happens in the coming week.  

People freaking out over the first two interviews named and guys trying to get HC jobs not being the first interviewed.  Joe Cullen isnt my choice but I imagine he’s forgot more about football than most on here know. 

if anyone read some of the articles about Reich’s hire.  It was mentioned that it was unusual that he didn’t get to pick his own D-coordinator.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhha….   Uhhhh….   Ehhhh…..

Spoiler Alert :  Ballard IS the smartest person in any Colts room he walks into.   

Wowza….  I had no idea you were so down on Ballard.  

Okie-Dokie…. 

Based on what? Because he’s the GM? GMs get fired every year because they weren’t as smart as they thought.

I’m not really down on him, he’s hit on some amazing players! BUT he’s also whiffed on some at positions we really need him to hit.

He has something to prove going into this next season in my opinion. NOT saying he’s on the hot seat, but if he delivers another mediocre season with no playoff spot he WILL be on the hot seat the following season. 

It’s a little ironic really he tells Wentz to make the layups when he himself keeps making hail marys when it comes to DEs. 

I am little worried he’s trying to do the same with our defensive coaching staff. 

• Shive changed the title to Colts interviewing Joe Cullen for DC
11 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

On the first part of the post I just stated facts he is the DC of team with worst record in league. All of them I named had expressed interest in playing for colts but Ballard and Frank when with the other due to previous relationships 

Not all coaches are bad because they are on the worst team. They are just in bad situations. 

Having interest is one thing but if the money or any other reasons dont line up then it will not work out. There is more to getting players then just them having interest in wanting to play here. I dont think Brady ever really wanted to play here. 

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Based on what? Because he’s the GM? GMs get fired every year because they weren’t as smart as they thought.

I’m not really down on him, he’s hit on some amazing players! BUT he’s also whiffed on some at positions we really need him to hit.

He has something to prove going into this next season in my opinion. NOT saying he’s on the hot seat, but if he delivers another mediocre season with no playoff spot he WILL be on the hot seat the following season. 

It’s a little ironic really he tells Wentz to make the layups when he himself keeps making hail marys when it comes to DEs. 

I am little worried he’s trying to do the same with our defensive coaching staff. 

You're entitled to your opinion.    I don’t share your views.    

Here’s what you’re missing….  Even bad GMs are smarter than fans.   All fans know is the Tip of the Iceberg.   So maybe the 10 percent you can see.   But they don’t know the 90 percent that they can’t see, can’t know.   And Ballard isn’t a bad GM.    

I think you’re over-reacting like most fans do. Just look at your last sentence.  You’re reacting to the order of who we interview.   We haven’t even hired anyone and you’re worried.   That’s what fans do when they’re angry.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're entitled to your opinion.    I don’t share your views.    

Here’s what you’re missing….  Even bad GMs are smarter than fans.   All fans know is the Tip of the Iceberg.   So maybe the 10 percent you can see.   But they don’t know the 90 percent that they can’t see, can’t know.   And Ballard isn’t a bad GM.    

I think you’re over-reacting like most fans do. Just look at your last sentence.  You’re reacting to the order of who we interview.   We haven’t even hired anyone and you’re worried.   That’s what fans do when they’re angry.   

They are people just like you and me and generally not any smarter than so many others. Not all GMs are successful and there are several ways of building a team most of which never really amount to anything. Individual GMs know more about the inner workings of how they want to build their team and by extension Ballard has a better idea of how he wants to build his team. He sets the tone for his scouts and decides when to gamble on the draft or FA. BUT that doesn't mean it's ever going to amount to anything.

Sure, I'll admit I'm still PO'd about how this season went and Ballard has to shoulder a lot of that blame in my opinion.

I used to trust Ballard blindly, but at the end of the day we aren't a better team than when he took over - a lot of that is on him. We can argue statistics if you want, but we're a 9-8 team with needs at positions that were needs when he took over.

We can argue 'delayed gratification' if you want. I can respect that point of view but at some point we have to start seeing some progress. That point was this season in my opinion.

And before you start, no I'm not saying I could be a GM or even that I'd want to. I haven't dedicated my life to football. What I can do is look at the league in perspective and see the Rams or the Bucs, who build through FA, have a lot more success than us building through the draft.

Colts and Frank Reich has not been able to outcoach or outplay the Jags for the last 5 years. Maybe its time to hire their DC to help our defense and improve our Offense and play calling schematics. Joe Cullen (DC) got his release papers yesterday which means their is no compensatory picks. Don't sit on it because somebody else will sign him.

I also propose that Ballard open up his budget and sign Schwartz to consult and help Reich in their DL evaluation and schematics. He helped the Titans in being an improved defense this year. 

Ballard talks about NFL solutions to his problems, well two of them are staring him in the face. 

8 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Colts and Frank Reich has not been able to outcoach or outplay the Jags for the last 5 years. Maybe its time to hire their DC to help our defense and improve our Offense and play calling schematics. Joe Cullen (DC) got his release papers yesterday which means their is no compensatory picks. Don't sit on it because somebody else will sign him.

I also propose that Ballard open up his budget and sign Schwartz to consult and help Reich in their DL evaluation and schematics. He helped the Titans in being an improved defense this year. 

Ballard talks about NFL solutions to his problems, well two of them are staring him in the face. 

The Jags are one team we struggle to beat. They struggle to beat literally every other team in the league and have for years. Coaches, players, mgmt or whatever it is, they stink.  I'm unconvinced picking up their losing coaching staff is the formula to fix our team. 

• NFLfan locked this topic

Archived