Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interviewing Joe Cullen for DC

Jackie Daytona

37 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Someone please explain to me why we haven’t requested interviews from Fangio, Flores, and Zimmer, and why we’re interviewing the DC that got 50 points dumped on him by Mac Jones.

Strikes me as another ‘Ballard wants to be the smartest man in the room’ situation. 

Like his draftpicks he’s trying to find a hidden gem instead of going with production. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Strikes me as another ‘Ballard wants to be the smartest man in the room’ situation. 

Like his draftpicks he’s trying to find a hidden gem instead of going with production. 

Exactly. Look at what Flores and Fangio did with their teams this year, especially on defense, when they had zero legit QB play. I would figure that would warrant at least an interview, but whatever. Ballard talks about Carson “making the layups”, when is it fair to hold up a mirror?

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Because when you go with older guys set in their ways the chances are they will try to put players in position that aren’t their strengths. It’s my way of the highway. Whoever comes in is going to have to adapt to what we have.

That’s fair, and Cullen certainly seems adaptable if anything, but being the Jags DC is not exactly inspiring to me. I will give him credit though, their defensive performances against us and Buffalo were impressive, if short-lived.

Just now, chickenMan said:

Exactly. Look at what Flores and Fangio did with their teams this year, especially on defense, when they had zero legit QB play. I would figure that would warrant at least an interview, but whatever. Ballard talks about Carson “making the layups”, when is it fair to hold up a mirror?

Flores is up for some of the head coaching jobs. Also can’t ignore some of the reports that came out in Miami about him.

Flores is up for some of the head coaching jobs. Also can’t ignore some of the reports that came out in Miami about him.

Fair enough, it’s just frustrating not even kicking the tires on interviews IMO. At the end of the day, I can only speculate, I’m not interviewing the guys, so I’ll just have to put my faith in Irsay and Ballard to get the right guy.

Just now, chickenMan said:

Fair enough, it’s just frustrating not even kicking the tires on interviews IMO. At the end of the day, I can only speculate, I’m not interviewing the guys, so I’ll just have to put my faith in Irsay and Ballard to get the right guy.

Believe me I think they need to think outside the box. I also worry about Reich playing this too safe. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Believe me I think they need to think outside the box. I also worry about Reich playing this too safe. 

Reich is so weird to me in that in some situations he’s an “all the chips in” kind of guy, but in others it’s like he’s scared to take a chance. He confuses me.

5 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Reich is so weird to me in that in some situations he’s an “all the chips in” kind of guy, but in others it’s like he’s scared to take a chance. He confuses me.

He is agressive on offense. He needs to find someone who is aggressive on defense. Also  no more friends. That’s why Baker got the job. Cullen has a good record as dline coach but failed in jax as DC. Who knows if that was talent but they do have some pieces on that defense. Maybe it was more the culture there. He did have some nice games though like bills and colts. We will see how this plays out. The Harris interview really intrigues be because he is young so probably means he is adaptable and would bring new ideas. We need to shake things up and bring new ideas.

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Because when you go with older guys set in their ways the chances are they will try to put players in position that aren’t their strengths. It’s my way of the highway. Whoever comes in is going to have to adapt to what we have.

Please give examples of this happening.    You have brought it up dozens of times without any examples

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is Reich hiring the DC and coaching staff or is Ballard?  I mean, Reich isn't doing the work and Ballard off on a beach somewhere,

This is a dual effort I assume with Ballard having the final say

Jason. Spears swears this will be a Reich decision with Ballard’s input. I think it’s important for Reich to have a guy he wants but I bet it is a collaborative effort.

Jason. Spears swears this will be a Reich decision with Ballard’s input. I think it’s important for Reich to have a guy he wants but I bet it is a collaborative effort.

Well, Reich can't go and hire a 3-4 DC when the GM has supplied 4-3 personnel.  Its a decision with strong guidelines in place and final approval by the boss.  There is no other way this can work.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s my opinion. Am I not allowed to have a opinion.

Opinions are usually based on something 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, Reich can't go and hire a 3-4 DC when the GM has supplied 4-3 personnel.  Its a decision with strong guidelines in place and final approval by the boss.  There is no other way this can work.

Who says frank wants a 3-4 DC?

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I’m sure Reich has final say to some extent, but Harris definitely seems like a guy Ballard sought after. 

If I were to guess it’s mostly Ballard finding these guys, then Reich is a big part of interviewing process.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I just worry with Reich. We don’t need to play it safe. This is such a huge decision. They need a guy that will continue some of the fundamental things Eberflus brought to the defense. But they also need someone with a fresh view on things that can bring something different and get them to the next step. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Opinions are usually based on something 

Who says frank wants a 3-4 DC?

Nobody.  The point is that Reich doesn't have carte blanche responsibility for hiring the DC.  He's going to have to hire a DC to fit into the landscape created by Ballard.  They may both agree on the landscape, but that shows that this is a dual effort.

I think describing it as Frank's hire doesn't do the situation justice.  Assistants maybe, but not the DC, IMO.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I just worry with Reich. We don’t need to play it safe. This is such a huge decision. They need a guy that will continue some of the fundamental things Eberflus brought to the defense. But they also need someone with a fresh view on things that can bring something different and get them to the next step. 

I'm not too concerned about them bringing in somebody incompetent.  I'm very much in the camp that games are won and lost by the players performances on the field and not the coordination on the sidelines.

Other than Dungy or Lovie or somebody who did the same thing over and over, I think that most coordinators try to adapt and be aggressive when they feel they can and conservative when they feel they must.

I'm interested to see what happens and watch any changes, but I don't think it matters much.  These coaches get hired and fired a lot and the teams keep playing like they do until they get a personnel overhaul....which sometimes comes with the change in coaches.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nobody.  The point is that Reich doesn't have carte blanche responsibility for hiring the DC.  He's going to have to hire a DC to fit into the landscape created by Ballard.  They may both agree on the landscape, but that shows that this is a dual effort.

I think describing it as Frank's hire doesn't do the situation justice.  Assistants maybe, but not the DC, IMO.

I think Sirianni was a Frank hire all the way

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Since Reich is a offensive guy and he runs the offense my guess it was pretty much a Reich hire. I think defense is different story though. 

I think that if the boss is in the interview room, asks questions, and has veto power, but doesn't veto, then I would describe it as Ballard hiring the DC Frank recommended.   Even though it might not be Ballard's first choice.

That's the collaborative effort as I see it.

But I agree with the differences in O vs D and the possible weighting that gets put onto a recommendation by an offensive minded HC.

I can speculate as well as Jason Spears at this point unless Spears can explain more of the details of the process instead of using terms that I don't understand, like Frank's Hire.   

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess that I don't know what a "Frank hire" is.  Was Ballard on vacation and came back a month later and asked "Who's the new OC Frank?"

A guy Frank wanted.   They had a relationship long before Indy.  Obviously Ballard could have nixed it.    But Ballard hired Flus for McDaniels,   I'm guessing if the head coach is strong for a guy Ballard is gonna ok it

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

A guy Frank wanted.   They had a relationship long before Indy.  Obviously Ballard could have nixed it.    But Ballard hired Flus for McDaniels,   I'm guessing if the head coach is strong for a guy Ballard is gonna ok it

Agreed.  But if the guy turns out to be a door knob, that doesn't let CB off the hook.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think that if the boss is in the interview room, asks questions, and has veto power, but doesn't veto, then I would describe it as Ballard hiring the DC Frank recommended.   Even though it might not be Ballard's first choice.

That's the collaborative effort as I see it.

But I agree with the differences in O vs D and the possible weighting that gets put onto a recommendation by an offensive minded HC.

I can speculate as well as Jason Spears at this point unless Spears can explain more of the details of the process instead of using terms that I don't understand, like Frank's Hire.   

I think Jason was just speculating. He wants Reich to get fired so bad so he is always trying to throw shade on him.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think Jason was just speculating. He wants Reich to get fired so bad so he is always trying to throw shade on him.

I know nothing about that, but that was my first take on it when I first read it a few minutes ago.  

The biggest mistake people who wanted Eberflus gone made was assuming that we are starting our DC search with a blank slate ... that any and every option is possible to get. In fact, the NFL is incredibly incestuous business and our realistic options are very likely limited to people Ballard or Reich have history and familiarity with. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

The biggest mistake people who wanted Eberflus gone made was assuming that we are starting our DC search with a blank slate ... that any and every option is possible to get. In fact, the NFL is incredibly incestuous business and our realistic options are very likely limited to people Ballard or Reich have history and familiarity with. 

Zak Keefer reported  the other day that this job would be highly coveted because of players already in place and that are coordinators are getting HC jobs. Now whether Reich and Ballard even want to interview some is a different question.

3 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Maybe they have kicked the  tires but the legit D coordinators are not interested  in coming to Inndy. It could be as simple as that.

3 hours ago, Introspect said:

The more things change.....

SMH like the first person you think about bringing in is the DC of the team with the worst record in nfl and the secondary coach of the number 32nd ranked pass defense. And yes I said 32 out of 32 smh 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

SMH like the first person you think about bringing in is the DC of the team with the worst record in nfl and the secondary coach of the number 32nd ranked pass defense. And yes I said 32 out of 32 smh. I’ll stand pat on frank and Ballard relationships have costed us more than not over the years…. Philip over Brady, Fischer over Leno , Carson over Stafford etc… just to name a few. 

Archived