Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interviewing Joe Cullen for DC


Recommended Posts

Someone tell me there's more to him than it seems..... On the surface, this looks like a pretty uninspiring DC candidate 

 

Personally hoping for someone with more experience as a DC and calling plays than 1  year for the Jags with the worst league record.... I don't care how good the D was, and one year at IU bleh....almost twenty years ago, and a year here and there at Richmond!?! Even further back.   He might be a great DL coach, but please.... More exp. As a head guy calling plays and managing clock....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He has a long track record, but that also makes me concerned:

 

Massachusetts (1990) - Running backs coach

Massachusetts (1991) - Defensive line coach

Richmond (1992–1996) - Defensive line coach

Richmond (1997–1998) - Defensive coordinator

LSU (1999) -Defensive line coach

Richmond (2000) - Defensive coordinator

Memphis (2001) - Defensive line coach

Indiana (2002–2003) - Defensive line coach

Indiana (2004) - Defensive coordinator

Illinois (2005) - Defensive assistant

Detroit Lions (2006–2008) - Defensive line coach

Idaho State (2009) - Defensive line coach

Jacksonville Jaguars (2010–2012) - Defensive line coach

Cleveland Browns (2013) - Defensive line coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014–2015) - Defensive line coach

Baltimore Ravens (2016–2020) - Defensive line coach

Jacksonville Jaguars (2021) - Defensive coordinator

 

He never seems to stay with one team for that long.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m gonna bet Cullen is the one of the better choices of the guys we end up interviewing.

 

I kinda doubt that we even go after a guy with multiple years of DC duties under his belt.

You may be right. But a in house person or out side guy will already know our flaws. Bad 3rd down defense and bad redzone defense. Need better pass rush.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

His record. You can see why they would like him.

 

 

Jags 10-12: 6th yds allowed, 5th yds/carry

Browns 13: 41 sacks, 3.9 yds/carry

Bucs 14-15: 7th in combined sacks/TFL

Ravens 16-20: fewest total yards allowed, fewest rushing yards allowed during that span

Jags 21: 28th PPG, 24th rushing, 17th passing, 20th ovr (poor roster)

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

His record. You can see why they would like him.

 

 

Jags 10-12: 6th yds allowed, 5th yds/carry

Browns 13: 41 sacks, 3.9 yds/carry

Bucs 14-15: 7th in combined sacks/TFL

Ravens 16-20: fewest total yards allowed, fewest rushing yards allowed during that span

Jags 21: 28th PPG, 24th rushing, 17th passing, 20th ovr (poor roster)

 

He was never in charge of a defense or doing anything remotely close to calling plays or game prepping for an entire defense any of those years but the last one....  I just can't believe the FIRST shot at an interview goes to a guy who has three years experience leading a Defense.... At Richmond for one season in 1997!!!  24 years ago, at a small small time school....  2004!!!  16 years ago for one season at perennial bottom feeder IU.... And last year, he was hired by a completely incompetent HC and staff and like them, lasted one year...  He goes 8!years from chance 1, to his second shot.... And SIXTEEN years from 2nd chance to 3rd???  There's zero untapped potential here as a DC....

 

Now, maybe they had planned on interviewing Cullen to replace Baker as DL coach, and he was coming in to interview today anyway??  I doubt that he'd be the first guy in to interview for the DC spot if this were next week.... I bet he was already on his way for DL interview prior to Flus getting the Chi job, and they just decided screw it, he's already got his plane ticket, let's see what he has to say, and go ahead and ask him about the suddenly open DC spot while he's here?

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

 

Yeah, but he was a key assistant for a LOT of teams that were bad enough soon after he arrived, to get the staff fired lol....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe scratch head for DC but D line makes sense. The Jags D line literally whipped us in both meetings. Makes sense to get a closer look at the guy who orchestrated it. Its nort like our OL is straight trash but he made them look that way 2 times.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a pretty uninspiring candidate. I really hope they comb through the ranks and look at some more high profile guys. Zimmer if he’s not going to be a HC again, and Richard since we interviewed him before we settled on Flus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

This guy was arrested for being drunk and naked in a Wendy’s drive thru? Seems like it wouldn’t be a good fit here… Lol

I thought so too until I read about him since.
 

It was Years ago. Sobered and recovered as an alcoholic.  Rehabbed and Cleared by Goodell. Coached and respected by the Lions and Ravens  and Jags players.  Respected by coaches for his knowledge and production since.  People on here say they want tougher attitude- ala Rod Marinelli.  That’s who hired this guy and put him on his staff., and backed him when the chips were down. You want tougher- hire a guy who made mistakes, paid for them, and excelled since.  He won’t be a problem in the locker room….

 

And, Wink Martindale is also unemployed (one of his former bosses). Maybe we get a two-for.

 

certainly better than what we have now. Which is nothing….

 

come to think of it- this may be an Irsay pick. A success story, after an embarrassing arrest.  Sounds like a Commercial about Depression….

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see why they would have an interest in Cullen.  If you want to run this scheme, but you can't have Marinelli (because he's too old) or Lovie Smith (because it's a lateral move), then you get a guy who was a DL coach for both of them.  Marinelli in Detroit, and Lovie Smith in Tampa.  As an added bonus, he was part of the coaching staff at Baltimore when they had great defenses in 2018 and 2019.  True, this year's stint with the Jags was his first ever attempt at being an NFL level DC.  He doesn't have the long DC experience.  But he does have long experience as a DL coach, which is an area that we want to upgrade.

 

No, I don't think he's the most amazing candidate.  But I do understand why they want to talk to him.

I'm not disappointed nor appalled.

I'm intrigued.

Which I'm sure the Colts are, too.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Lol, true. Sometimes I also wonder if these guys look at personality first, skills second. :headspin:

 

I’m kidding, but only halfway. 

Yea , like winning is all that should matter at the end of the day. I could care less if the coach goes to bible study or what can he coach, scheme and get the best out of players. Like someone on the team has to have a edge and light a fire under guys *es that why u saw the lack of commitment and players quitting against the jags 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I thought so too until I read about him since.
 

It was Years ago. Sobered and recovered as an alcoholic.  Rehabbed and Cleared by Goodell. Coached and respected by the Lions and Ravens  and Jags players.  Respected by coaches for his knowledge and production since.  People on here say they want tougher attitude- ala Rod Marinelli.  That’s who hired this guy and put him on his staff., and backed him when the chips were down. You want tougher- hire a guy who made mistakes, paid for them, and excelled since.  He won’t be a problem in the locker room….

 

And, Wink Martindale is also unemployed (one of his former bosses). Maybe we get a two-for.

 

certainly better than what we have now. Which is nothing….

 

come to think of it- this may be an Irsay pick. A success story, after an embarrassing arrest.  Sounds like a Commercial about Depression….

Sounds like somebody who's journey is more inspiring than deserving of criticism.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea , like winning is all that should matter at the end of the day. I could care less if the coach goes to bible study or what can he coach, scheme and get the best out of players. Like someone on the team has to have a edge and light a fire under guys *es that why u saw the lack of commitment and players quitting against the jags 

 

  Just a little * chat regarding players Believing in the system.

 Yes winning the turnover battle Sounds great.
   But how would it wear the heart of the back seven, and the line, getting picked apart by any Joe Schmoo, making you look bad to your family, friends, teamates, as you wait on "All-Pro" Leonard to punch out a football to save the day.

 What about the wear of watching the tape of Wentz not getting the ball to you, your teammates, like so many other QB's are consistently doing.

Like the way Rivers quickly learned to do!!!
 Intellectually, over the season, how would 'beating your head against the wall' affect you at your core?
 Eberflus leaving was much needed IMO. 
  And should our pass catchers believe in Wentz doing anything different?
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

His D line owned our Oline.  Maybe he could get something out of all of our high draft picked D linemen.  

 

 To me, the guy playing inside with Buckner must also be able to wreak some havoc with penetration. It scares the QB, often making him move off his spot which delays his release, typically significantly lowers there completion %, and makes it easier for the DE's to also get to the QB.
 If Grover unleashed can do it on first down also fine, if not, ... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

His D line owned our Oline.  Maybe he could get something out of all of our high draft picked D linemen.  

I would want to know if he had any say in who his teams picked in the draft or signed as FAs.

 

If you look at teams he coached, they have a history of having pretty good dline talent even when he wasn't there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 To me, the guy playing inside with Buckner must also be able to wreak some havoc with penetration. It scares the QB, often making him move off his spot which delays his release, typically significantly lowers there completion %, and makes it easier for the DE's to also get to the QB.
 If Grover unleashed can do it on first down also fine, if not, ... 

......then he's not worth $9M per?   The guy next to Buckner needs to be able to frequently beat his blocker one on one, both in the running game and passing game, to occasionally draw the double or triple team away from Buckner.

 

You can't expect a 3T to break the persistent double team as the only way of being disruptive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I thought so too until I read about him since.
 

It was Years ago. Sobered and recovered as an alcoholic.  Rehabbed and Cleared by Goodell. Coached and respected by the Lions and Ravens  and Jags players.  Respected by coaches for his knowledge and production since.  People on here say they want tougher attitude- ala Rod Marinelli.  That’s who hired this guy and put him on his staff., and backed him when the chips were down. You want tougher- hire a guy who made mistakes, paid for them, and excelled since.  He won’t be a problem in the locker room….

 

And, Wink Martindale is also unemployed (one of his former bosses). Maybe we get a two-for.

 

certainly better than what we have now. Which is nothing….

 

come to think of it- this may be an Irsay pick. A success story, after an embarrassing arrest.  Sounds like a Commercial about Depression….

Well said sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

  Just a little * chat regarding players Believing in the system.

 Yes winning the turnover battle Sounds great.
   But how would it wear the heart of the back seven, and the line, getting picked apart by any Joe Schmoo, making you look bad to your family, friends, teamates, as you wait on "All-Pro" Leonard to punch out a football to save the day.

 What about the wear of watching the tape of Wentz not getting the ball to you, your teammates, like so many other QB's are consistently doing.

Like the way Rivers quickly learned to do!!!
 Intellectually, over the season, how would 'beating your head against the wall' affect you at your core?
 Eberflus leaving was much needed IMO. 
  And should our pass catchers believe in Wentz doing anything different?
 

You are 100% right I could see the frustration on faces of ty and MO , JT when Carson would simply miss a wide open throw or just flat out not go to the check down and force it into double sometimes triple coverage. It is embarrassing when u let teams carve you up. I remember Leonard being frustrated in and after game interview when we was getting carved up and lost and he said well we do what we do they know what we gonna do we just have to do it better … like he was flat out saying the scheme was easy for qb to dice up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

was it confirmed he was being interviewed for DC and not Dline coach? 

 

also, this funny idea that he is being interviewed to "figure out how they beat us so bad on the line" is silly.  our coaches should be able to watch the film from those games and discern that themselves.  don't need the other coach to tell you how it worked.  it isnt a magic trick.  this forum is funny. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

was it confirmed he was being interviewed for DC and not Dline coach? 

 

also, this funny idea that he is being interviewed to "figure out how they beat us so bad on the line" is silly.  our coaches should be able to watch the film from those games and discern that themselves.  don't need the other coach to tell you how it worked.  it isnt a magic trick.  this forum is funny. 

Not totally  confirmed. I seen someone mention that they could be gagging his interest in dline coach. But I would think the DC needs to be hired first. Bringing someone in to interview for dline coach would be weird before DC is hired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not totally  confirmed. I seen someone mention that they could be gagging his interest in dline coach. But I would think the DC needs to be hired first. Bringing someone in to interview for dline coach would be weird before DC is hired.

not if they are hiring DC from in house.  honestly this goes back to a point that i've been trying to hint at the last couple of days.  this defenisive scheme is not going to change much at all..  you might see different cover technique, different rush schemes with stunts and the leverage on the line.... but this team is built for a certain scheme and a lot of the same pieces are being retained.  this  will remain a rush 4 cover team.  i highly doubt we see a drastic shift in approach. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

not if they are hiring DC from in house.  honestly this goes back to a point that i've been trying to hint at the last couple of days.  this defenisive scheme is not going to change much at all..  you might see different cover technique, different rush schemes with stunts and the leverage on the line.... but this team is built for a certain scheme and a lot of the same pieces are being retained.  this  will remain a rush 4 cover team.  i highly doubt we see a drastic shift in approach. 

That’s a good point. I just saw Jason spears say  Williams is expected to be DC in Chicago. So don’t know who else that would be in house if that happens:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe Cullen is not my idea of a good DC candidate. If you want a DC who produced a worse pass defense in 2021 (with arguably more defensive talent), sure. 

 

I'm not a fan. Hopefully if he joins the staff, it's as a position coach.

 

And of course, I say that as someone who doesn't know anything about his philosophy, and very little about his scheme and background. But I'm on the record.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We’re interviewing Cullen and Harris before our own Alan Williams who’s interviewing elsewhere.   Could be they have no interest in Williams.

Which would be fine, Williams is pretty uninspiring.  This hire  is probably the FO/Staffs big chance to make a "fundamental change" to attempt to appease Irsays desires/demands without having to change much directly under their own depts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Colts interviewing Joe Cullen for DC
  • NFLfan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...