Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who will win SuperBowl 47

DS3

I think Matty Ice and them dirty birds could make some noise in the NFC.

I really like Mike Nolan as a DC. According to his career Bio on Falcons.com:

Nolan joins Atlanta after spending the last two seasons as the Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator. In 2011, the Dolphins boasted the third best run defense in the NFL, allowing just 95.6 yards per game and 3.7 yards per carry. His defense also collared 41 sacks, which tied for 10th in the League and allowed the sixth fewest points per game at 19.6. The Dolphins also ranked seventh in the third-down percentage (33.8) and sixth in red zone defense, holding opponents to a 44.2 touchdown percentage inside the 20-yard line.

In 2010, Nolan’s defense ranked among the league’s top ten in overall defense (6th, 309.3 ypg), pass defense (8th, 209.3 ypg) and run defense (7th, 100.1 ypg). The Dolphins defense was one of just five units in the NFL to accomplish that feat.

This man could turn around Atlanta's defense quickly. Mike Nolan is the Wade Phillips of the NFC. Just watch...Miami, why did you release this man? It was incredibly short sided and foolish IMO.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not really feelin' the Packers this year....not like I was last year. These things go in cycles. It's seemed like, over the last few years, excluding last year, our Colts would be straight-up dominant one year, and the next they would be an extremely flawed team. I think Matty Ice and them dirty birds could make some noise in the NFC.

Same, I hope they at least make the playoffs though. Green Bay I mean. There is something going into this season that I feel is missing but I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel maybe like from the start of their SB run a few years ago through the loss to the Chiefs last season they were rolling and never quite got "it" back. Maybe they can get it back but I do think they have more weaknesses then maybe I used to realize.

I know one thing, the backup QB situation in GB is not what it used to be. Matt Flynn is no longer on the roster so they better protect Rodgers and keep him healthy this season for every game.

Not sure about Atlanta yet. The potential is there and that division is becoming much tougher now with the emergence of Cam Newton.

I am going to stick with the Saints though. Even if NO does not win the division I still think they should make the playoffs. They are still going to destroy teams at home with that offense IMO and the D might be interesting now under Spags. Yeah I know Payton is gone, but remember the 2009 Colts almost won a SB too with a bumbling cardboard Caldwell and their own elite QB.

to be fair supercolts, Coach Dungy is no average coach . . . Indeed the colts run of 10+ wins seasons started with Coach Dungy's first year (and PM having already been there 5 years prior . . . this is not a shot at PM but a data point to show how effective Coach Dungy was). . . also Dungy, as a former D back for the 70s steelers and the father of the Tampa 2, was no defensive dummy . . . any knowledge gained by TB from BB was not that greatly outpaced by what PM gained from Coach Dungy . . .

As for PM getting better . . . I think it has a lost more to do with how strong the teams were as opposed to one player figuring out a system . . . the pats were the better team in 03-04 and the colts in 05-06 . . . .we had a lot of injuries and FA losses after the '04 . . . . Indeed I am not sure if the colts ever beat the Pats with Rodney Harrison at safety . . . all of our losses 04-08 Harrison was not on the field (or got injuried during the game) . . . 08 we had Cassell and almost won and we split in 09/10 with the pats getting a big lead and the colts coming back in one and not the other . . .

Hey i know u r not saying anything offensive, but i just wanted to let u know Rodney Harrison was in there oh yeah! He was in there in 06 championship gm. Just like he was in there in 07 SB when David Tyree got him on that bomb from Eli threw. Peyton spanked them in 06 and Eli finished them for good in 07. Took Brady and Belicheck heart from them and threw it in the garbage they haven't been the same since that SB42.COLTSTRONG!

Hey i know u r not saying anything offensive, but i just wanted to let u know Rodney Harrison was in there oh yeah! He was in there in 06 championship gm. Just like he was in there in 07 SB when David Tyree got him on that bomb from Eli threw. Peyton spanked them in 06 and Eli finished them for good in 07. Took Brady and Belicheck heart from them and threw it in the garbage they haven't been the same since that SB42.COLTSTRONG!

feel free to say what you want, but just a point of fact Harrison did not play in the 2006 AFCCG . . . just an fyi . . .

feel free to say what you want, but just a point of fact Harrison did not play in the 2006 AFCCG . . . just an fyi . . .

While I like your enthusiasm, The Pats went to the playoffs last year and lost by a few inches in the Super Bowl while our Colts spent the season playing musical quarterbacks and if Gronk was healthy that game could have ended much differently given how close that game was with an unhealthy Gronk, Peyton didnt spank the Pats until Ty Law got released and his 11 career picks off of Manning , sad but true

Same, I hope they at least make the playoffs though. Green Bay I mean. There is something going into this season that I feel is missing but I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel maybe like from the start of their SB run a few years ago through the loss to the Chiefs last season they were rolling and never quite got "it" back. Maybe they can get it back but I do think they have more weaknesses then maybe I used to realize.

I know one thing, the backup QB situation in GB is not what it used to be. Matt Flynn is no longer on the roster so they better protect Rodgers and keep him healthy this season for every game.

Not sure about Atlanta yet. The potential is there and that division is becoming much tougher now with the emergence of Cam Newton.

I am going to stick with the Saints though. Even if NO does not win the division I still think they should make the playoffs. They are still going to destroy teams at home with that offense IMO and the D might be interesting now under Spags. Yeah I know Payton is gone, but remember the 2009 Colts almost won a SB too with a bumbling cardboard Caldwell and their own elite QB.

The NFC South is tough. Even the Bucs could be on their way to being a respectable team with the guys they brought in this offseason. For New Orleans, I don't worry much about their coaching situation. Whoever they have right now will be able to run the ship that Payton drove, especially with the help of Brees. I even think the loss of Gregg Williams is an addition by subtraction. He was never good to begin with. He lived and died by the blitz, and the fear his team put in the hearts of those who know they're going to be after plays were over. Fundamentally sound teams, with smart QBs, could tear his defenses apart. Now they've added some good players; Bunkley is a nasty DT, Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne fill out the LB corps nicely. Losing Vilma doesn't hurt them a bit.

The South should be interesting, but I like to think Atlanta can sit those punk-a** Saints down. They need Julio Jones and Roddy White to be healthy all year though, cuz after that they have some pretty insignificant backups.

That is the worst kind of prediction. If that is the Super Bowl, I hope Bane makes an appearance.....

lmao

OMG conspiracy theory alert! That looks like a Steelers home game almost in the movie. And Ward is on the back of the guys jersey too!!!!

Huh? they have not been the same since the 2007 SB?? didnt they just go back to the SB this year? And as one of your fellow colt fans said it was a close game with one of if not the best offensive weapon for Brady on one leg in Gronk. and as a fellow Pats fan pointed out you were WRONG AGAIN Harrison didnt play inthat AFCCG Game.

As I told you Lucky CHECK YOUR FACTS before posting... now back to our schedule topic.. lol

While I like your enthusiasm, The Pats went to the playoffs last year and lost by a few inches in the Super Bowl while our Colts spent the season playing musical quarterbacks and if Gronk was healthy that game could have ended much differently given how close that game was with an unhealthy Gronk, Peyton didnt spank the Pats until Ty Law got released and his 11 career picks off of Manning , sad but true

yes PM and the colts did beat the pats in 05/06, but in 05 we were also without Teddy Johnson, Law, Harrison, and not sure if Brushi was back from his stroke, but either way, the middle part of our defense was not really there in 2005 (I think samuel might of been out too midseason) . . . I think PM was criticized too much during 03/04, when in reality the pats had a great team, then later the tide turned . . . i just don't look at is as a untalented/confused PM of 03/04 and then one that figuired it out . . . in my book he was the same great player from 03-07 . . . i think the media go on him too much earlier trying to say that BB was in his head when really he was not that much . . .

Huh? they have not been the same since the 2007 SB?? didnt they just go back to the SB this year? And as one of your fellow colt fans said it was a close game with one of if not the best offensive weapon for Brady on one leg in Gronk. and as a fellow Pats fan pointed out you were WRONG AGAIN Harrison didnt play inthat AFCCG Game.

As I told you Lucky CHECK YOUR FACTS before posting... now back to our schedule topic.. lol

Yeah you Pats fans is funny well guess what? Marvin Harrison did not play in the reg. season gm. When N.E. was going for the perfect season ya know. Had he been there the Colts would have went undefeated instead of N.E. And won the superbowl against the Giants.

Oh yeah in that 07 season battle between undefeated teams IND vs. N.E. Rodney Harrison played in that gm. The Colts had the led up until the mid point of the 4th qrt. He didn't seem to make a big difference in that gm. Plus Peyton didn't even have his main guy in Marvin Harrison so.... Your excuses for 06 championship gm. is pointless.

Speaking of Gronk Pats fans since u want to bring up the Superbowl excuse of him being hurt was the reason they lost or didn't produce like he should. Well u do remember they played in the reg. season in Foxboro,Ma with a healthy Gronk and lost to the N.Y. Giants u know that right? Plus in that SB46 gm. Eli had to deal without having a tightend in that gm. Because he lost the starter and back up. So please no excuses Brady and Belicheck just lost to a better team and better Coach and QB.

jUST QUOTING you LUCKY TO REFRESH YOU MEMORY you WERE THE ONE WHO INSISTED hARRISON PLAYED, WE TOLD YOU HE WAS NOT AND YOU KNOW THATS TRUE NOW.

Oh yeah in that 07 season battle between undefeated teams IND vs. N.E. Rodney Harrison played in that gm. The Colts had the led up until the mid point of the 4th qrt. He didn't seem to make a big difference in that gm. Plus Peyton didn't even have his main guy in Marvin Harrison so.... Your excuses for 06 championship gm. is pointless.

Really? You mean Harrison would been able to cover Moss and prevent the go ahead TD? Or he would have blocked the Patriot who caused the fumble to end the game for the Colts? Wow he is amazing. And funny thing is I feel if the Pats had lost ONE game they would have gone on to WIN the SB as the pressure been a lot less.

Speaking of Gronk Pats fans since u want to bring up the Superbowl excuse of him being hurt was the reason they lost or didn't produce like he should. Well u do remember they played in the reg. season in Foxboro,Ma with a healthy Gronk and lost to the N.Y. Giants u know that right? Plus in that SB46 gm. Eli had to deal without having a tightend in that gm. Because he lost the starter and back up. So please no excuses Brady and Belicheck just lost to a better team and better Coach and QB.

While what you say has merit I will also say this, Fans of all teams (Not all fans) have a natural tendency to make excuses for why there team lost in the big moments and yes that includes us Colts fans.....Such as the excuse "If Freeney wasnt hurt in the Super Bowl vs the Saints then we would have likely won that game"

HUH? lucky learn ONE thing about Football please, ONE game does NOT match the next game they would play.Even Giant fans have said if Gronk was even 80% the game would be totally different.. Now the Pats might still have lost but they would have scored a lot more.. don't believe me? The Giants D themselves stopped paying attention to Gronk in the second half and proceeded shut down Hernandez who was KILLING them to that point. (Even heard on an FL highlight show them showing a giant defender to not worry about Gronk..)

While what you say has merit I will also say this, Fans of all teams (Not all fans) have a natural tendency to make excuses for why there team lost in the big moments and yes that includes us Colts fans.....Such as the excuse "If Freeney wasnt hurt in the Super Bowl vs the Saints then we would have likely won that game"

Very very true, BOTH SB would probably be a lot different would either the colts or Pats have won who knows teams make adjustments...

FWIW, I think the Colts are going to be much, much better than the "experts" are predicting right now. Everyone knows what happened last year, but having been on this board and another Indy board, I get the feeling that 2-14 almost happened before the season even kicked off, if you know what I mean. It just seems like they never recovered mentally from losing Manning, and it's almost like the entire organization just accepted the horrific season before it even started.

I see Indy being around .500 this year, and possibly in the wildcard mix, but probably will fall just short. Two full seasons ago they were a playoff team, and a year before that they were undefeated until December. Teams can fall off the map like that, bu there's still too much talent in Indy for them to be a bottom-10 team again.

Really? You mean Harrison would been able to cover Moss and prevent the go ahead TD? Or he would have blocked the Patriot who caused the fumble to end the game for the Colts? Wow he is amazing. And funny thing is I feel if the Pats had lost ONE game they would have gone on to WIN the SB as the pressure been a lot less.

If Marvin Harrison did play in that 07 game in Indy we wouldn't have cared about Moss silly catch u know why? Because the Colts would have been up about a least 2 touchdowns and the gm. Would have been over anyway Marvin and Peyton about this time how figured out how to torch N.E. So it would not have been a problem. Anything else to say.

Very very true, BOTH SB would probably be a lot different would either the colts or Pats have won who knows teams make adjustments...

Dont know, Gronk would still have to catch it and thats not gauranteed, and Defensive Ends in my opinion dont have nearly amount the affect on a game as a Corner does, We had a chance to tie but Manning threw the pick 6, and then we had a chance to pull within 1 score on a 3rd or 4th down play and Reggie Wayne dropped the ball

If Marvin Harrison did play in that 07 game in Indy we wouldn't have cared about Moss silly catch u know why? Because the Colts would have been up about a least 2 touchdowns and the gm. Would have been over anyway Marvin and Peyton about this time how figured out how to torch N.E. So it would not have been a problem. Anything else to say.

11/2/08

Patriots vs. Colts, in Indy.

Colts 18, Patriots 15.

Cassel was NE's quarterback.

Even that game was close. Neither of these teams have "torched" the other since 2005 or 2006.

HUH? lucky learn ONE thing about Football please, ONE game does NOT match the next game they would play.Even Giant fans have said if Gronk was even 80% the game would be totally different.. Now the Pats might still have lost but they would have scored a lot more.. don't believe me? The Giants D themselves stopped paying attention to Gronk in the second half and proceeded shut down Hernandez who was KILLING them to that point. (Even heard on an FL highlight show them showing a giant defender to not worry about Gronk..)

Who do the Patriots fans hate more than Benard Pollard?

So you KNOW Marvin would have made a difference? No one was stating Harrison make a difference EVERYONE was pointing out your mistake in saying he WAS in that game. You know the post YOU put on make a big deal out of it?

Also FYI the colts had a TOTAL over a 100 yrds in the second hald the D had figured the Colta O line out.. Manning was getting killed back there.. Now if you said if you had decent O line play that game you would have won, that be a better call.

Dont know, Gronk would still have to catch it and thats not gauranteed, and Defensive Ends in my opinion dont have nearly amount the affect on a game as a Corner does, We had a chance to tie but Manning threw the pick 6, and then we had a chance to pull within 1 score on a 3rd or 4th down play and Reggie Wayne dropped the ball

True, but he had made them all year long and if nothing else would have been drawing the double to triple coverage all SB freeing someone else up..

listen Sparky, gets ur facts straight before you go posting . . . if you actually watched the game in 2007 you would remember the R. Harrison intercepted PM at the start of the second half to stop one ofrhw colts drives, and given the fact that is was one score win for the Pats, means that his pick was important regardless how you want to slice it . . . just a tip of advice, make sure you think and remember the facts before you start posting . . .

It is not an issue of an excuse, but a point made prior that teams will win and loose more so based on who has the better teams than one QB being "owned" by a coach from 01-04 and then "figuring it out" in the middle part of the decade . . . simply put the pats had a better set of players on the field in the four games in 03-04 and conversely the colts had a better team in three games in 05-06 . . . that is all . . . .

if you remember in that 03 reg. season game Dallas Clark went down early in the game and had he been on the field for that goal line stand, maybe the colts punch it is as he would of been an additional weapon/option for the colts and PM . . . as it stood Willie Mac had to comeback from a career threatening knee stinger to make the final tackle . . .

FWIW, I think the Colts are going to be much, much better than the "experts" are predicting right now. Everyone knows what happened last year, but having been on this board and another Indy board, I get the feeling that 2-14 almost happened before the season even kicked off, if you know what I mean. It just seems like they never recovered mentally from losing Manning, and it's almost like the entire organization just accepted the horrific season before it even started.

I see Indy being around .500 this year, and possibly in the wildcard mix, but probably will fall just short. Two full seasons ago they were a playoff team, and a year before that they were undefeated until December. Teams can fall off the map like that, bu there's still too much talent in Indy for them to be a bottom-10 team again.

Thank you GoPats for your candid and realistic analysis of the Indianapolis Colts and their prospects for returning to Playoff contention again. Losing Manning to injury and then to release him outright was a harsh reminder that the quality of your backup QB really does matter not to mention rationing out the throws between the starter and backup as well. I remember when Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, prior to receiving the head coaching job in Denver, spoke in an ESPN interview how much Brady disliked being asked to give up throwing reps. Finally, Josh said look Tom, if God forbid you go down, we need to know that team can still execute plays without missing a beat. We all know about Tom's knee injury in 2008 in Kansas City.

This is why NE is at the top of the NFL pantheon. No one not even Tom Brady is above the fate of the Foxboro squad. The team comes first. Everything else is irrelevant. Indy and New England may be heated rivals, but there is a mutual respect for how both franchises hire quality personnel, never rest on laurels or previous titles, championships, or accomplishments, and bring out the best performances in each other's players when we line up on the field against one another.

I respect your opinion GoPats along with Yehoodi, Dynasty13, and VL that other Patriots blogger on here because all of you understand football, appreciate NFL history and greatness, and can effectively dissect strengths and weaknesses of your team and my team in a constructive meaningful way. Thank you.

The man is just bad luck around our key players.. first Brady, then Welker and last Gronk... a conspiracy I tell you :rofl

He hurts more Patriots than an upside-down American flag. You're right, the guy is just bad news whenever he comes to Foxborough hahaha.

So how about we return the thread to who is going to win SB 47. I think it is the Pack. Exiting the playoffs the way they did, after a year of great work and accomplishments, probably has them focusing a bit more, especially come playoff time. Besides, they improved their defense.