Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor's game winning TD

CR91

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Wow once he went past the 40 he was thinking of sliding and wasn’t going all out. Still JC Jackson wasn’t ever a threat to tackle him. Special player indeed.

Now that is crazy.  you see him look to the bench to see if he's supposed to stop before the endzone ("church mode") but continues to run for the score.  The presence of mind!

Special, special run. It was just a normal run play until everyone in the crowd saw he broke through the line. Then everyone stood up yelling and screaming and it got even louder when he crossed the goal line. It was so electric. I couldn't hear the PA guy at all. Couldn't even hear the popping of the bags filled with confetti. It was magical and I'm so glad I was there to witness it.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Probably because NE was ganging up on the run but one thing about Donald Brown is that while he was a north south runner, his vision was not stellar, good enough but not stellar. JT's vision between Year 1 and Year 2 is night and day. RBs often have to make quick snap decisions. Both Hightower and McCourty ended up crashing the wrong side of the gap because they were making quick snap decisions too and JT had the vision to go the right crease reactively, something I am not so sure Donald Brown would have done. If your point is "most RBs are dependent on the OL", yes that is a valid point. That goes without saying.

However, I see an enormous jump in vision for JT with his cuts that I did not see with Donald Brown across the years. However, DB was involved in "Godda**** Donald" comment from Peyton when he blew a blitz pickup and his infamous goal line fumble that led to the famous Luck fumble recovery followed by that Superman TD. Donald ran into his OL more often than not as years went on too. So, no, there is no guarantee DB would have had the vision to do so.

Yeah, my Donald Brown comparison was more of a metaphor than directly.  JT could not have made that cut and would have run directly into Hightower if Fisher did not take is man way to the center of the field.

JT is like Brown in that they both do not have tremendous lateral explosion.  JT is better, but he's still a north south runner.  

An Edgerrin James or Barry Sanders could have avoided Hightower if Fisher had blocked just normally...maybe.  IMO, RBs like that that can make people miss on their own are in a class by themselves.  We have JT, then Mack, then Gore before them, and they are all sort of the same straight ahead, up the gut, runner.  A RB like that depends on the Oline a lot more, IMO.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Q did a very important thing by turning his man inside.

Replay shows it was Fisher that made the hole wide enough for Taylor to get through.

Fisher completely removed Barmore from the play, and you gotta give Granson credit as well, he's stonewalling Jamie Collins on the outside.

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

To think - JT needs 250 or so yards over the next two games to break Dickerson’s single-season rushing record (16 games).

the all time record is 2,105 I believe. He is sitting at 1,518, so this is not true. He needs more like 600 yards to break the record. Now if your talking about the Colts record, held by Edge a little over 1,700, then yes that is in play.

2 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

the all time record is 2,105 I believe. He is sitting at 1,518, so this is not true. He needs more like 600 yards to break the record. Now if your talking about the Colts record, held by Edge a little over 1,700, then yes that is in play.

Wow.  Thank you.  Not sure where I came up with that.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, my Donald Brown comparison was more of a metaphor than directly.  JT could not have made that cut and would have run directly into Hightower if Fisher did not take is man way to the center of the field.

JT is like Brown in that they both do not have tremendous lateral explosion.  JT is better, but he's still a north south runner.  

An Edgerrin James or Barry Sanders could have avoided Hightower if Fisher had blocked just normally...maybe.  IMO, RBs like that that can make people miss on their own are in a class by themselves.  We have JT, then Mack, then Gore before them, and they are all sort of the same straight ahead, up the gut, runner.  A RB like that depends on the Oline a lot more, IMO.

JT did make Hightower miss laterally though. JT has also shown LeVeon Bell like lateral moves before the hole before going north and south through the hole several times during the year. Edgerrin James and Joseph Addai danced around more because the holes did not develop fast enough, so they had to keep their feet in rhythm while showing the patience. I think our current OL is better than the Luck era OL hands down and is on par with the Peyton days OL minus the quick release / cerebral aspect of the QB. However, Peyton's OL was a better pass blocking OL than run blocking OL, I think this current OL is better than that unit in run blocking. JT is not Barry Sanders but give him a few more years, he might be up there with Edgerrin James, IMO. 

This is a small example of JT's patience:

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

JT did make Hightower miss laterally though. JT has also shown LeVeon Bell like lateral moves before the hole before going north and south through the hole several times during the year. Edgerrin James and Joseph Addai danced around more because the holes did not develop fast enough, so they had to keep their feet in rhythm while showing the patience. I think our current OL is better than the Luck era OL hands down and is on par with the Peyton days OL minus the quick release / cerebral aspect of the QB. However, Peyton's OL was a better pass blocking OL than run blocking OL, I think this current OL is better than that unit in run blocking. JT is not Barry Sanders but give him a few more years, he might be up there with Edgerrin James, IMO. 

Barry Sanders,Jim brown were shiftier. Saquon Barkley had some of that but his terrible online and injuries aren't helping him. It is amazing Taylor was only a 3 star recruit

On 12/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, NFLfan said:

That was a critical game-winning run. Even if he had not scored, the Colts would have run out the clock and won. JT should be this year's NFL MVP. Just my opinion.

@IrsaysArmy You asked me yesterday if I was a Pats fan (on the game day thread). You may have confused me with a member with a similar display name as mine. I read this person's posts in a pre-game thread and they resemble those written by Pats fans. 

Yea I was going at it with somebody with a similar name couple days before the game. Again, being called a patriot fan is a serious insult so I apologize lol

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

That's true, but I'm talking about the type of lateral explosion that takes an inside run and bounces it to the outside corner. 

He has the speed to get to the corner, but he hasn't shown a lot of improvisation to where he takes a designed play up the middle, sees nothing, then bounces it out to the sideline.  Edge did that a lot.  

Not saying that JT isn't great if he can't do what Edge did, I just don't see a lot of lateral explosion.  

There have been some play calling critics that say we should have more outside runs.  We should, but the truly great RBs sometimes create their own outside runs too.

And as another has mentioned, Saquon Barkley could/would do that.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's true, but I'm talking about the type of lateral explosion that takes an inside run and bounces it to the outside corner. 

He has the speed to get to the corner, but he hasn't shown a lot of improvisation to where he takes a designed play up the middle, sees nothing, then bounces it out to the sideline.  Edge did that a lot.  

Not saying that JT isn't great if he can't do what Edge did, I just don't see a lot of lateral explosion.  

There have been some play calling critics that say we should have more outside runs.  We should, but the truly great RBs sometimes create their own outside runs too.

And as another has mentioned, Saquon Barkley could/would do that.

If you can't recognize how elite his jump cuts are,   i don't know what to say.  JT is an elite runner

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If you can't recognize how elite his jump cuts are,   i don't know what to say.  JT is an elite runner

Exactly!!! In an era where athletes are faster and have better twitch as defenders too, you have to accordingly give credit as well. Some folks are just hung up on "let us not anoint him yet" that they refuse to see all that JT is doing. No one is anointing him to be Jim Brown or Barry Sanders. We just feel that he is definitely one of the Top 3-5 backs in the NFL and definitely our best back since Edgerrin James, and would need a few more good years to be considered at his level.

Archived