Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He kept Pagano and let Arians walk. Allowed T Y Hilton to return this year. I like Hilton, but again it’s tough business decisions that need to be made. You and many probably disagree, but if people want to win these decisions though not popular need to be done. 

The Arians/Pagano call is the ultimate Monday Morning QB call.      No one knew Arians would be this good a head coach back in 2012.      And no one knew what Paganio would be like either.     And considering we'd be asking Arians,  one of Pagano's closest friends in coaching.  to take his close friends job while we fire him after having Cancer,  it would not have been surprising if he had told us to take the job and shove it.

The Hilton call I grant you.    

But considering after I wrote my initial answer to you,  someone else came along and reminded us all that Irsay cut the franchises most beloved player,  Peyton Manning.     Seems as if Irsay has made lots of tough calls.    And most of them have worked out pretty well.

16 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

So listen all Colts future opponents.....all you have to do is put 5 guys on the LOS with their hand in the dirt and neutralize our best player. 

Look, you all are defending the coach calling 27 pass plays in a row. It was absolutely moronic. Period. It didnt work at all. And Ive said all Im gonna say about it.

From what we have heard he did call RPOs that were supposed to be runs but that was changed by the QB.  So this statement just isn't true.

I am not defending Frank - I just appreciate when people are accurate. 

24 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

you're glossing over a lot and it seems a lot of people on the forum don't understand how the RPO works because Wentz doesn't decide if he is going to throw or and it off before the snap. After the snap he looks to see what the Linebackers are doing and bases the decision off them or a key player in coverage, usually if the QB decides to pass it is because the defense is biting on the run option leaving the pass open.

Now Frank also said of the RPOs in the 3rd that became passes they averaged 7 yards gained which would be considered very good runs.

He said that but I don’t understand it, and it may be a me thing, but a pass play for 7 yards isn’t a run play for 7 yards. And if you’re calling a RPO when you know you’re seeing a box that you know will result in a pass, aren’t you effectively calling a pass?

I assume he is saying that the short passing game was an extension of the run game that didn’t exist in the 3rd quarter. And again, at least from my perspective, it’s more than just calling a run for the sake of calling a run.

He had all week/year to work schemes/plays into the offense to handle stacked boxes and run blitzes or was he not aware that he has a really good Oline and running back? He made excuses, that is all, IMO. And used his mvp candidate RB as a decoy. It didn’t work. 

Just now, gspdx said:

From what we have heard he did call RPOs that were supposed to be runs but that was changed by the QB.  So this statement just isn't true.

I am not defending Frank - I just appreciate when people are accurate. 

An RPO is not a run play. Its an option play. So saying they were "supposed to be runs" is not true. The "couldve" been runs. But they werent. And he knew that. And he still didnt call any running plays. 

Just now, GoatBeard said:

An RPO is not a run play. Its an option play. So saying they were "supposed to be runs" is not true. The "couldve" been runs. But they werent. And he knew that. And he still didnt call any running plays. 

So they are option plays.  That is still not 27 pass play calls in a row.  So we are both inaccurate.

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

How is an RPO "supposed to be a run play"?

Is a RunPassOption.

That isnt a run play.

I think their smug excuses make me madder than the play calling. 

Just now, gspdx said:

So they are option plays.  That is still not 27 pass play calls in a row.  So we are both inaccurate.

Did they pass? If they did, its a pass play.

Like really?

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s like banging your head against the wall. This is why we use RPO. Nothing is going to change Reich haters minds.

Do you even understand what an RPO is, or how teams defend it? 

Did you know we're one of the heaviest RPO teams in the league. Last I saw, #2 or #3.

I'm pretty sure Bowles knew that lol.... So run blitzing an RPO almost all but guaranteed a pass, which is exactly what Bowles wanted. 

How do you beat the run blitz? You hit the edges with sweeps or simply edge runs. Running wide then makes them keep their LBs deeper instead of hitting the A and B gaps so hard. Like I mentioned with some posted vids, the edge was wide freaking open. Yet we didn't do the basic thing you should do against a run blitz.

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

He said that but I don’t understand it, and it may be a me thing, but a pass play for 7 yards isn’t a run play for 7 yards. And if you’re calling a RPO when you know you’re seeing a box that you know will result in a pass, aren’t you effectively calling a pass?

I assume he is saying that the short passing game was an extension of the run game that didn’t exist in the 3rd quarter. And again, at least from my perspective, it’s more than just calling a run for the sake of calling a run.

He had all week/year to work schemes/plays into the offense to handle stacked boxes and run blitzes or was he not aware that he has a really good Oline and running back? He made excuses, that is all, IMO. And used his mvp candidate RB as a decoy. It didn’t work. 

So the answer to that question is no because the RPO is all about the post snap read, so after the snap if the QB sees them bailing out of the box to play the pass the QB will hand it off. If he sees them stay and/or bite on the run leaving the pass open then he passes. I would suggest looking up the RPO because I am not great at explaining.

10 hours ago, J@son said:

Because again, the Bucs really only stopped the running game in the first quarter.  After that, the running game was successful. 

FYI, you're saying that up until the famous 3Q, the running game was working for only 1 of 2 quarters of the game,  So is that evidence that it would work, or not work in the ensuing Q?

In the two series in question in the 3Q, 3 passes were thrown to JT.  So maybe they were not runs, but the thought of "icing" him and ignoring our best player is a bit dramatic.  

While not optimal, it sounds like not running in the 3rd Q isn't that big of a deal.  The intensity of the criticism seems disproportional to the situation and game outcome.  JMO.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Did you know we're one of the heaviest RPO teams in the league. Last I saw, #2 or #3.

I'm pretty sure Bowles knew that lol.... So run blitzing an RPO almost all but guaranteed a pass, which is exactly what Bowles wanted. 

How do you beat the run blitz? You hit the edges with sweeps or simply edge runs. Running wide then makes them keep their LBs deeper instead of hitting the A and B gaps so hard. Like I mentioned with some posted vids, the edge was wide freaking open. Yet we didn't do the basic thing you should do against a run blitz.

This is precisely what irks me off about the pass happy nonsense.

We already have the andecdote for a stacked box and run blitzes........those jet sweep looks, which we had used to perfection in the Buffalo game. And for some strange reason we didnt use it at all in this game.

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This is precisely what irks me off about the pass happy nonsense.

We already have the andecdote for a stacked box and run blitzes........those jet sweep looks, which we had used to perfection in the Buffalo game. And for some strange reason we didnt use it at all in this game.

Yup, I was scratching my head too. We have two great RBs for edge runs. Both with crazy speed and burst. Why use it vs Buffalo, who was at that time the #1 run D, and was loading the box against us, and not use it vs TB.... It was like twilight zone stuff to me.

And even though it's called a run blitz, it's still a blitz. So when your RPO goes pass, they still have 5 guys pressuring your QB that's dropping back. 

Anyway, at least Reich basically admitted he was outsmarted by Bowles. I just don't understand why we didn't counter on the edge. I post a vid of some of the run blitzes and the ends were crazy open. JT or Hines could have ripped off some huge runs with LBs over-penetrating.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

As I pointed and predicted about 8 weeks ago, this forum needs its seasonal whipping-person to vent anger towards.

When it flips away from Frank and back to Flus again, Flus may be an issue, who knows.  He's tried various schemes and set ups; and the playoff caliber offenses will rally when they need to, despite how many points we score or how much time we take off of the clock.

BUF's problems were part of their execution as much as it was our D.  They had a poor day all around.

Buffalo was a bad match up against the Colts. They r one dimensional. They have no running game and their front Dline is light. I have been saying it for 4 years now and counting. This defensive scheme/talent can play well against one dimensional offences. U get a content qb and running hame and its over. For some reason fans r waiting for the D to wake up.

Leonard- great play maker not bad against run and pass. Would have tagged him.

Okereke-average.

Blackmon-should be a SS.

Willis-poor in coverage.

Sin-zone corner and poor in man to man.

Rhoades-near the end of the road

Moore- very good player, but for how much longer.

Buckner- elite but will be old and past his prime when they decide to build a defense.

Paye-looks like the only young D player I see star potential  in.

Daye-not sure.

Stewart- thought they over paid and never saw the urgency to get him signed. Stallworth maybe better

Please let me know if I am wrong on any of these players.  Does this look like a defense of the future that is going to go thru 3 to 4 qbs in the play offs and win the superbowl in the next 2-3 years?

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Their defense is going to try to make your offense do things the offense doesn't want to do. Your offense is going to try to make their defense do things their defense doesn't want to do. The only question is: Given that's what teams are trying to do, what mix of plays will confuse the heck out of what they are trying to do?

While you are trying to figure that out, don't confuse the heck out of yourselves.

54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Buffalo was a bad match up against the Colts. They r one dimensional. They have no running game and their front Dline is light. I have been saying it for 4 years now and counting. This defensive scheme/talent can play well against one dimensional offences. U get a content qb and running hame and its over. For some reason fans r waiting for the D to wake up.

Okereke-average.

Blackmon-should be a SS.

Willis-poor in coverage.

Buckner- elite but will be old and past his prime when they decide to build a defense.

Daye-not sure.

Stewart- thought they over paid and never saw the urgency to get him signed. Stallworth maybe better

Please let me know if I am wrong on any of these players.  Does this look like a defense of the future that is going to go thru 3 to 4 qbs in the play offs and win the superbowl in the next 2-3 years?

No arguments at all.  Pretty accurate.  

The idea that the defense can be elite any time soon is a pipe dream.  It can be playoff caliber though.  It should be able to stop a playoff caliber offense when it needs the stop over 50% of the time, or hold it to a FG instead of a TD late in the game.  That's the goal for me.  Elite? Out of the question.

Get a FS and then Blackmon and Willis' role makes sense when Willis is in for the 3rd LB, which is a lot.  Okay there.

Get a better CB than RYS, and RYS can be the #2 zone Corner that can match up against the other team's physical X.  Okay there.

Moore is a good slot.  I think Rodgers has potential there.  Okay there.

Leonard is what he his. He seems somewhere around top 5 in the league, not top 2.  Okay there.

Oke has not taken the next step.  He's not good in coverage and he's not really a stout run stopper.  But if he's the weakest link on the defense, its okay.

Paye is a keeper.

Dayo at LDE, then Turay on passing downs when Dayo moves inside.  Okay there.  Could get a Houston type of FA or another young player late in the draft. 

Defo, okay there.  I'd like to see Dayo in at 3T to give him a breather once Dayo learns the interior.

Stewart.  Never saw the love.  IMO, need a better player next to Defo, but I don't see Stewart getting cut.

Rochell, Stallworth, AQM and the other dlinemen are just short timers that can be replaced during FA season.  Sign all three if you want.  They will occasionally make plays.

If I'm Ballard, the bolded are my 2nd, 3rd, and possibly 4th round draft picks (possibly a LBer or another EDGE over Turay in the 4th).  If Grover or Oke is our weakest player, then we're okay, but having both is a liability.  IOW, the FS and CB are no brainers, but other players better than Oke, Grover, and Turay are not out of the question.

Offense needs a deep threat, could still be PC or a FA.  Need a young OT.....5th round.  Lots of tall and athletic but raw guys in this draft it seems.

TE, I'm rolling with Doyle and MAC, and hopefully Granson takes the next step in receiving.  If a pure stud is available, that changes the equation.

And a backup RB that's more of a RB than Hines.  Possibly 6th round.

We'll get a comp pick somewhere between 4 and 6.

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

Their defense is going to try to make your offense do things the offense doesn't want to do. Your offense is going to try to make their defense do things their defense doesn't want to do. The only question is: Given that's what teams are trying to do, what mix of plays will confuse the heck out of what they are trying to do?

While you are trying to figure that out, don't confuse the heck out of yourselves.

Well, we didn't adjust to counter them. We just did what they wanted us to do. 

Love how Ballard said "Carson needs to understand he doesn't have to win games by himself" or something like that, and has also said "we want teams to adjust to what we do" or something like that... lol. 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Actually, Trubisky was the highest ranked QB that year by most services.

NFL.com draft tracker had MT #1 easily with a 7.0 rating. Watson was 6.8, and Mahomes was 6.3.

A lot of people got it wrong.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/QB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL&year=2017

In my opinion it’s almost comparable to drafting Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There was a GM who was involved in that decision.    His name is Ryan Pace.   And I think he’s still the GM. 

They both should be fired then.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well, we didn't adjust to counter them. We just did what they wanted us to do. 

Love how Ballard said "Carson needs to understand he doesn't have to win games by himself" or something like that, and has also said "we want teams to adjust to what we do" or something like that... lol. 

Carson doesn't realize how good he is, or how great he can be. He needs to relax, and let the talent around him do what they can do.

Do you see how easy Brady makes playing QB look?-

Just now, CoachLite said:

Carson doesn't realize how good he is, or how great he can be. He needs to relax, and let the talent around him do what they can do.

Do you see how easy Brady makes playing QB look?-

I think Carson is very talented. But I don't think he's a guy you want to regularly have the team on his back like several games this year. That's more Reich's play calling, than Carson making decisions about the talent around him. 

And while I think Carson has a ton of upside, he's not near the league Brady is in. At least not now. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I think Carson is very talented. But I don't think he's a guy you want to regularly have the team on his back like several games this year. That's more Reich's play calling, than Carson making decisions about the talent around him. 

And while I think Carson has a ton of upside, he's not near the league Brady is in. At least not now. 

I think he's trying too hard.

22 hours ago, Douzer said:

As of this moment, only one team has scored more points than the Colts 340, and that's Tampa's 347. Let that sink in...

Colts have 40 TDs this year and Taylor has 16 of them (40%) of them. 5% on receptions and 35% were running TDs. He didn't get 1 running attempt in the 3rd quarter. Let that sink in...

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Their RB carried a total of 6 times for minus 4 yds (.667 yds/carry). Taylor ran 16 time for 83 yds (over 5 yds/carry). Even in the first half on 8 carries he averaged over 3 yds per carry. No comparison between the RBs. Taylor has 1205 yds on 209 carries (5.8 ave.) while JJ Taylor who had 1 carry against the Bucs has 147 yd total for the year (3.5 ave.), Damien Harris had 4 carries for -4 yds against the Bucs and has 543 yds on 154 carries for the year (3.5 ave.) and Brandon Bolden had 1 carry for 0 yds in that game and for the year has 141 yds for the year on 26 carries (5.4 ave.).

Are you trying to say if Belichick had one of the best RBs in the league who is leading the league in rushing and running behind one of the best OLs in the league he would have totally abandoned the run in the third quarter with a 10point lead at the half and the ball to start the third? He didn't win 6 Super Bowl titles coaching that way.

One thing Belichick isnt? Foolish. 

And while i think we all love Taylor, some of us are acting as if he's Peyton incarnate.

NE have a plethora of GOOD backs, they didnt run only 8 times because they were scared their backs couldn't perform.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

FYI, you're saying that up until the famous 3Q, the running game was working for only 1 of 2 quarters of the game,  So is that evidence that it would work, or not work in the ensuing Q?

In the two series in question in the 3Q, 3 passes were thrown to JT.  So maybe they were not runs, but the thought of "icing" him and ignoring our best player is a bit dramatic.  

While not optimal, it sounds like not running in the 3rd Q isn't that big of a deal.  The intensity of the criticism seems disproportional to the situation and game outcome.  JMO.

So ummm, how many quarters did the pass work up until that infamous 3rd quarter!

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

As of last Wednesday Taylor had run the ball 63 times this year into loaded boxes this season, fourth-most in the NFL and was averaging 5.6 yards per carry on those rushes. That from an article by JJ Stankevitz,Colt.com writer.

Read this. If you dont see why we passed and passed after this, then that's fine. I'm done with the debate, it makes no sense to me.

Just expect the Colts to repeat this again probably a couple times before the season is done (*HINT - Bill Belichick will sell the farm to make sure JT doesnt beat his team)

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Okereke-average.

Blackmon-should be a SS.

Willis-poor in coverage.

Daye-not sure.

My Canadian friend I am impressed!

This is an awesome post !

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Have to disagee. We play prevent with or without the lead.

And we lead the league (with considerable thanks to DLeo) in creating turnovers. This with a pass rush that isn't nearly effective enough.

Wait till next year! 

I do think next year will be hugely different in a good way

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Call me crazy... But I'll just point out that Frank is the head coach.. That means he's Flus's boss, and signs off on D scheme and game plan. So while Flus needs to shoulder a lot of the blame for the D, it also rolls up to Frank. He is the boss. And if you're the boss and one of your employees isn't working out... then you normally do something.

This is Frank's first head coaching jobs and the head coach has a lot of responsibilities. That is why only 8 out of the 32 HCs in the NFL calls the plays. he has no time to be coaching the coaches. That is why a bunch of us have been pleading for him to give up the play calling for the last few years but I am convinced he won't give it up. He never called plays as an assistant but insists to call it now. 

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

This is Frank's first head coaching jobs and the head coach has a lot of responsibilities. That is why only 8 out of the 32 HCs in the NFL calls the plays. he has no time to be coaching the coaches. That is why a bunch of us have been pleading for him to give up the play calling for the last few years but I am convinced he won't give it up. He never called plays as an assistant but insists to call it now. 

Yup. Needs to be the CEO type. 

He did call plays for the chargers though. But he got fired for horrible balance.

9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Strange as it sounds, i agree.

They look unstoppable for the most part. They do have some times when they may bog down for a quarter or half a quarter. That happened under Luck too, and i can already hear some folks saying that's a feature of Reich's offense lol

If Luck would have had this OL in front of him would you feel the about his. He was running for his life his whole career if you recall.

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

If Luck would have had this OL in front of him would you feel the about his. He was running for his life his whole career if you recall.

I'm only talking about the Luck offense under Reich not his time with Pagano

48 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Frank said what? That he called RPOs which allowed the QB select run or pass? 

Doesnt matter, more heavy pass games coming. :) 

Lol no and you do t select run or pass on RPO…it’s a read. Frank said that they ran into some stacked boxes and the the line made some great blocks and JT made some good runs, just the normal stuff we’ve seen them do like all year,

except in those games where they decide not to use their strengths.

55 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Read this. If you dont see why we passed and passed after this, then that's fine. I'm done with the debate, it makes no sense to me.

Just expect the Colts to repeat this again probably a couple times before the season is done (*HINT - Bill Belichick will sell the farm to make sure JT doesnt beat his team)

The fact that everyone thinks this was unprompted is beyond me. He’s never done it before, there is a reason he did now. How many times during the presser did he mention Chris and I discussed this earlier…? Wait. You probably haven’t listened to the full presser have you?

This is purely conjuncture on my part…but I have a theory.

Chris loves him some JT and he loves the running game. He has made several statements saying as much. There was a tweet or something posts on here from one of the media folks stating the talked to Chris after the Bills game and he was PO’d and said they should be 8-3 or something along those lines….after the team dismantled the Bills by running the ball. 

Then there was the clip on Hard Knocks where Ballard is gushing over JT and said something like “I keep telling Frank he is top 5 offensive player in the league”

That top 5 player didn’t get one touch in the 3rd quarter and they lost. I said after the game that Ballard was most likely fuming. The next day Frank breaks down his play calls for the 3rd quarter. 

I don’t think it’s as coincidental as the rest of you I suppose. Again purely my opinion based on no factual evidence. All we can do is see how it plays out.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

It's called, "Frank isn't doing things the way I want.....and I am going to beat this horse dead to make myself feel better". 

No, It's called "Frank is a great coach in my mind who does nothing wrong and no one can tell me differently cause I know better."

58 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

So ummm, how many quarters did the pass work up until that infamous 3rd quarter!

That's sort of a binary look at the situation.  But to answer the question, 100% at that point. 

But I'll add further comment:

As @Moosejawcoltsaid elsewhere, this forum is getting amusing, but its always been that way.

Really binary:

• If you don't pile on Reich's 3rd quarter play calling, you're in favor of it. 
  • If you say its not Frank, then you're saying its Ballard.
  • If you don't mob pile on Grigson, then you are defending him. 
  • If you like Fleener, then you're saying that you hate Allen.  

What "defenders" are saying is that criticizing the play calling because there was a pick an a sack stopping two successful drives is ludicrous.  Not criticizing it is not the same thing as supporting the play calling. 

The binary debate carried out these past few weeks is pointless.  These are the questions as I see it:

If you're Wentz, and we have had great success passing, what RPO do you choose when you see one on one coverage of 6'4" Pitt by a 5'9" FS (not even a CB)?  What do you do Btown?

Do you call JTs number against the box because you haven't run the ball to JT yet in the past 20 plays?  Where the completion will put us on the 5 yard line?  You will take a 5 yard run because we haven't had one in 20 plays?

And

When Frank is sending in the RPO, how does he know what the coverage will be when we are still in the huddle?   Why is Frank responsible for throwing the ball to Pitt or even making the decision to pass?  Both teams are basically in the huddle when he's making his RPO calls to Wentz.

Why is it even "Frank's play calling" that is the issue?  Seems to me that every time he calls an RPO, he's calling a running play. 

The stat-based criticism has gotten kind of amusing.

Archived