Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 8 Reich Grievance MEGA THREAD (merge)

basketballsteve

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another move by Reich that makes no sense.  Rotating Reed and Glow at RG.  A goal for an OL is to create chemistry over time.  If he thought Reed deserved to start at RG then that should be the decision.  This rotating thing is all about Reich being a nice guy and not offending Glow.  So they rotate and both commit penalties.  Great decision.  The best players are supposed to play right?  If Reed was good enough to start then he is the guy until his play doesn’t warrant it.  Someone, Ballard, should tell him he’s their coach not their father.  Good grief.

i dont get reich's love for dulin the guy is terrible .    only activating 4 wrs when ty is not fully healthy is crazy what if another wr goes down after ty ?  do they just play two tight end sets the rest of the game .  You got a guy in coute when healthy has produced 100 yard games and chose dulin over him .

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

why do I get the feeling that Flus (and maybe only Flus) will be the sacrificial lamb for this season?

I don't even think that happens to be honest....

We'll hear more about delayed gratification, and how are draft picks from this year will develop, and our new draft picks will make us even better. 

I wish someone would ask Ballard at his next presser (if he has one anytime soon) why our 3T hasn't really been the key to our D... 

33 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

After the game he claimed to have no idea what the run to pass ratio was and when informed of it, he said......

"I will have to watch the tape"

How do you not know this stuff?

Yup. Just sounded crazy. Did someone hand him notes/counts after that, because I thought he then gave the numbers or close to the numbers. Or was it the reporter lol.. 

33 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I will. I can blame Reich and have. 

Please show me where Reich blamed his players.

He doesn't call out specific players, he says "execution"... 

Like I said, feel free to believe whatever you want. I personally believe Reich has been very subpar in game plans over the last several years, and has stepped on his duck often play calling. And it's stuff that happens over and over again. There are specific trends he's had passing it too much. It's been discussed ad nauseum. At the end of the day, I expect players to make mistakes in the heat of battle, especially when they are put in the wrong situation. I don't expect coaches to consistently go against the grain or make the same mistakes over and over again.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't buy he didn't recognize the low usage. It happened in game 1 vs TN, and he was questioned directly about it. And when coaches / play-callers create the game plan, they create target pitch counts which are typically tracked in some way. I just can't buy he didn't realize he stopped using JT in the 2Q, didn't have a plan coming into the 2H, forgot to use him then, and again in OT. If that's the case, I find that even scarier.... 

To add, last year he spoke specifically on how he let his assistant coach (Rathman at the time) control the rotation/snaps in terms of which RBs were on the field at any given time. I found that very odd situationally, and even odder when he said he saw Hines and Taylor as interchangeable. Sorry, but Hines up the gut is not the same as JT up the gut. But aside from that, I have to assume Montgomery (RB coach now) is at minimum controlling rotation and counting pitches, and communicating with Reich during the game. 

IDK... seems like a mess to me. How does the same thing happen two games in a row.

It looks to me like he clearly still think Hines is a superior pass catcher because he brings him in when he expects us to pass more.

Thats my only explanation for the final drive, having Hines in the game instead of JT.

But on the year JT has 21 catches on 24 targets for 265 YDS and 2 scores.

Hines has 21 catches on 30 targets for 153 YDS and 0 scores.

That may have been true last year, but not any more. Reich needs to wake up.

Taylor is more dangerous than Hines in the open field. He is just as fast, maybe faster and twice as hard to tackle.

51 minutes ago, masters1 said:

This is correct. Frank even said he apologized to Wentz after the game for hanging him out to dry. Frank said that with his experience in the league that he should have known better. It was a dangerous call, the Titans sniffed it out and had it covered, Wentz had 2 guys on top of him in about two seconds and had nowhere to go with the ball. Frank had a terrible game.

Yup. It was bang bang. Like I said, it was either going to be a sack and a safety, or grounding and a safety. Either would have ended the game then and there. Not saying an INT was good lol, but it did prolong the game. The other INT was much worse, IMO. Regardless, we still should have been running the damn ball.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. It was bang bang. Like I said, it was either going to be a sack and a safety, or grounding and a safety. Either would have ended the game then and there. Not saying an INT was good lol, but it did prolong the game. The other INT was much worse, IMO. Regardless, we still should have been running the damn ball.

apparently the Colts' staff took the saying "the NFL's now a passing league" too literally.......

Yeah, when I asked why JT was on the sidelines at the end of the SF game wondering about injury, some Pom Pom shakers told me Reich and Rathman knew better. 

From the 2018 Chiefs playoffs game to today, going away from the run has been Reich’s hallmark achievement as a Colts HC.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, when I asked why JT was on the sidelines at the end of the SF game wondering about injury, some Pom Pom shakers told me Reich and Rathman knew better. 

From the 2018 Chiefs playoffs game to today, going away from the run has been Reich’s hallmark achievement as a Colts HC.

Well Rathman isn’t here anymore and the reason he was on the sideline was because he had fumbled twice earlier in that game.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Rathman isn’t here anymore and the reason he was on the sideline was because he had fumbled twice earlier in that game.  

Didnt matter to him when it was earlier in the game and all the good will he earned from that point onwards just evaporated just like that for JT???

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another move by Reich that makes no sense.  Rotating Reed and Glow at RG.  A goal for an OL is to create chemistry over time.  If he thought Reed deserved to start at RG then that should be the decision.  This rotating thing is all about Reich being a nice guy and not offending Glow.  So they rotate and both commit penalties.  Great decision.  The best players are supposed to play right?  If Reed was good enough to start then he is the guy until his play doesn’t warrant it.  Someone, Ballard, should tell him he’s their coach not their father.  Good grief.

Well today Glow was better than Reed.  With that said I’d agree pick one and go with him unless you are going to bench him.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Didnt matter to him when it was earlier in the game and all the good will he earned from that point onwards just evaporated just like that for JT???

I don’t understand your point.  Frank put Hines in at the end because Taylor had fumbled twice earlier and now the only thing that could have gotten the 49ers back in the game was if they forced another fumble and they were going to be trying more than normal to rip it out.  It was Taylor putting it on the ground twice earlier in the game that lead to that.  It’s not like Frank yanked Taylor there without reason.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t understand your point.  Frank put Hines in at the end because Taylor had fumbled twice earlier and now the only thing that could have gotten the 49ers back in the game was if they forced another fumble and they were going to be trying more than normal to rip it out.  It was Taylor putting it on the ground twice earlier in the game that lead to that.  It’s not like Frank yanked Taylor there without reason.  

It doesn’t matter, I’ll agree to disagree with the decision. I’d have shown trust in JT but that’s me.

He still goes away from the run and passes like we’re the Manning offense with all the WR weapons when we’re not. 

Just now, chad72 said:

It doesn’t matter, I’ll agree to disagree with the decision.

He still goes away from the run and passes like we’re the Manning offense with all the WR weapons when we’re not. 

If you are talking about today yes he should have run more than he did.  I agree on that.  

If you are talking about the 49ers game as you first mentioned he didn’t go away from the run.  He pulled Taylor at the end and used Hines to run it out on the last drive so he didn’t give up on the run he just switched backs due to Taylor to fumbling earlier in the game twice.

5 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I missed the game because uh…I got married. But seeing the interceptions and how they basically ended it for us is disheartening. Idk what happened as I’ve not seen any replays or anything, but damn. 

And you're on the forums on your wedding night? :)

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you are talking about today yes he should have run more than he did.  I agree on that.  

If you are talking about the 49ers game as you first mentioned he didn’t go away from the run.  He pulled Taylor at the end and used Hines to run it out on the last drive so he didn’t give up on the run he just switched backs due to Taylor to fumbling earlier in the game twice.

I didn’t say he went away from the run in the SF game, it was a storm for crying out loud, that curtailed his tendencies, thank goodness for us.

But this is not the first game he’s gotten cute with the pass and gone away from the run, that’s a troubling trend. Goal line situation vs Bills in playoffs, plus going pass happy with Luck vs Chiefs as early as 2018 playoffs. He’s consistently gone away from the run in several key games. It’s almost like he feels that if it’s a better opponent, he feels like he needs to go toe to toe with their passing offense instead of sticking to what our team can do best.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well today Glow was better than Reed.  With that said I’d agree pick one and go with him unless you are going to bench him.

which begs the question: what does Ballard do with Q if re-signing him is so expensive that it doesn't leave any other money to spend on re-signing other players, FAs etc?

can a team with no elite shutdown CB and no elite pass rusher (unless Paye or Dayo develops into one) afford to pay a potential HOF interior offensive lineman what he's worth?

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I didn’t say he went away from the run in the SF game, it was a storm for crying out loud, that curtailed his tendencies, thank goodness for us.

But this is not the first game he’s gotten cute with the pass and gone away from the run, that’s a troubling trend. Goal line situation vs Bills in playoffs, plus going pass happy with Luck vs Chiefs as early as 2018 playoffs. He’s consistently gone away from the run in several key games. It’s almost like he feels that if it’s a better opponent, he feels like he needs to go toe to toe with their passing offense instead of sticking to what our team can do best.

I was responding to your post about the end of the San Fran game just saying that I don’t know who told you rathman said it was best to go away from Taylor when you asked about an injury and just basically saying whoever told you Rathman said it was best was mistaken because he retired and then explained why he went to Hines and not Taylor at the end.  That’s all.  That’s why what you were saying back was confusing it wasn’t some defense of what Frank did with the ground game today at all.  What he did today was inexcusable.  

22 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

It looks to me like he clearly still think Hines is a superior pass catcher because he brings him in when he expects us to pass more.

Thats my only explanation for the final drive, having Hines in the game instead of JT.

But on the year JT has 21 catches on 24 targets for 265 YDS and 2 scores.

Hines has 21 catches on 30 targets for 153 YDS and 0 scores.

That may have been true last year, but not any more. Reich needs to wake up.

Taylor is more dangerous than Hines in the open field. He is just as fast, maybe faster and twice as hard to tackle.

I said last year that JT would be just as good catching the ball as Hines. his catch % was better, and the eye test was better too... Two folks scoffed at me lol... 

Neither of them have good predictive track records anyway lol... Oh well, they're not chirping about it this year.

I can understand having Hines sub in, between the 20s, and think that's fine. I do think he could be used better and more creatively. Would love to see him run true slot routes. But JT is the better RB, and the better APB too. That doesn't mean Hines can't be good though. I've been a fan since we drafted him. I think he was overpaid though. He missed a huge opportunity last game dropping that pass. 

7 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

which begs the question: what does Ballard do with Q if re-signing him is so expensive that it doesn't leave any other money to spend on re-signing other players, FAs etc?

can a team with no elite shutdown CB and no elite pass rusher (unless Paye or Dayo develops into one) afford to pay a potential HOF interior offensive lineman what he's worth?

Shhhh. Said it bout Leonard,and Q. This team has no elite skill players.

28 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

apparently the Colts' staff took the saying "the NFL's now a passing league" too literally.......

Reich forgot he had running backs his last year with the Chargers too. 

I'm just really confused after the comments made about being a top running team. I just don't get it lol... 

7 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I think some people are going to have to come to grips with they are going to pay Big Q a lot of money to be a guard.  

Ballard isn’t just going to change his spots.  He’s not going to start signing big name free agents that some so badly want him to do.  He’s going to depend on hitting in the draft, that’s the philosophy he believes in.  That doesn’t just change.  

If people want to disagree with that philosophy fine go ahead but it’s not going to change who Ballard is.  Clearly, Ballard is counting on Dayo and Paye to develop.  It’s too early to know if they will or won’t.  I will say if the guys he’s counting on to develop don’t sooner or later Irsay will lose patience with him and fire him.  However, knowing Irsay it’s not going to be after only one year where they weren’t in the playoffs and a year after Ballard got *his* QB (and yes Frank maybe pushed for him but Ballard got him so he’s going to own him if he works or not).  

What I do know is that the capolgists here seem to feel the Colts are in good shape with the cap after this year so they will have money to do things but it’s probably not going to be the superstars some want.  I could see them going with rookie LT in the second round or going with Fisher (who actually played a good game today) or another vet another year and then drafting the answer the following year.  That’s more than likely where the answer at LT is going to come.

For someone who preaches not getting too high or too low, Reich does shift from one extreme to the next.  At times he's too conservative.  Today he was Pep Hamilton.  Taking shots is great, but at times you just have to move the chains.

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

Didn’t say they did. In general a WR screen or bubble screen negates the penetration to an extent.

I think the defense got to Wentz faster than we expected and blew the play up. Problem is they would’ve swallowed up Taylor. Would that have resulted in a pick 6? Highly unlikely. A loss and puts us closer to the goal line? More likely. Could Taylor have broken free? Sure.

My point is that screen passes are not terrible plays in that area of the field unless the pass is caught at or near the goal line. This was off. Had the pass been made and tackled right away, would’nt have been a safety unless he ran backwards.

Here's from the article on the front page of colts.com

"Reich specifically put Carson Wentz's pick-six — which broke a 24-24 tie with about a minute and a half remaining in the fourth quarter — on him.

Reich called for a screen to tight end Mo Alie-Cox, expecting the Titans' pass rush to over-commit to trying for a safety and allowing Wentz to drop the ball off to Alie-Cox. But Tennessee's defensive line read the play, and Wentz wasn't able to throw the ball into the ground for an incompletion. He flicked the ball in the air with his left hand to avoid a safety and cornerback Elijah Molden intercepted it for a touchdown.

"That was 100 percent my fault," Reich said. "It was a bad call. It was a screen to Mo and they were sitting right on it. We hadn't thrown that — didn't think they would ever be thinking that at that point in the game. I've been around too long to know you don't call a screen backed up in that situation.

"I told Carson right after that play, he came over to the sideline, I said that's 100 percent my fault. That's a terrible play call. Now just go make it right.""

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard isn’t just going to change his spots

When it comes to pass rushers, Ballard should take the George Costanza route - whatever your instincts tell you, do the exact opposite.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Reich forgot he had running backs his last year with the Chargers too. 

I'm just really confused after the comments made about being a top running team. I just don't get it lol... 

agree; in fact, I thought the goal of potentially leading the league in rushing drove the way Ballard has been approaching the draft, including taking Q over Josh Allen (for those who say he "couldn't" take Allen because he had Luck, I think Bill Walsh would disagree with you on that one), making Kelly the NFL's highest-paid center, drafting and re-signing Smith, trading up to get Taylor before Jacksonville could, signing Fisher instead of a pass rusher or CB, etc.

I'm not sure where all of that leaves Ballard now, especially without a 1st round draft choice next spring.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think some people are going to have to come to grips with they are going to pay Big Q a lot of money to be a guard.  

Ballard isn’t just going to change his spots.  He’s not going to start signing big name free agents that some so badly want him to do.  He’s going to depend on hitting in the draft, that’s the philosophy he believes in.  That doesn’t just change.  

If people want to disagree with that philosophy fine go ahead but it’s not going to change who Ballard is.  Clearly, Ballard is counting on Dayo and Paye to develop.  It’s too early to know if they will or won’t.  I will say if the guys he’s counting on to develop don’t sooner or later Irsay will lose patience with him and fire him.  However, knowing Irsay it’s not going to be after only one year where they weren’t in the playoffs and a year after Ballard got *his* QB (and yes Frank maybe pushed for him but Ballard got him so he’s going to own him if he works or not).  

What I do know is that the capolgists here seem to feel the Colts are in good shape with the cap after this year so they will have money to do things but it’s probably not going to be the superstars some want.  I could see them going with rookie LT in the second round or going with Fisher (who actually played a good game today) or another vet another year and then drafting the answer the following year.  That’s more than likely where the answer at LT is going to come.

it's not "one year" missing the playoffs, it's potentially multiple years under Ballard (which IIRC got Grigson fired)

not that I think Ballard's in any trouble, but I do think 1) he's under-achieved and 2) he may not be the "best GM in the league"

2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

it's not "one year" missing the playoffs, it's potentially multiple years under Ballard (which IIRC got Grigson fired)

not that I think Ballard's in any trouble, but I do think 1) he's under-achieved and 2) he may not be the "best GM in the league"

Irsay isn’t going to fire Ballard because they might miss the playoffs in the future.  He’s going to judge him on what his team has done and they were in the playoffs just last year.  Irsay also tends to be a glass half full guy so my guess is unless the bottom falls out this season he’s going to think they are on the right track and peace or two away.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay isn’t going to fire Ballard because they might miss the playoffs in the future.  He’s going to judge him on what his team has done and they were in the playoffs just last year.  Irsay also tends to be a glass half full guy so my guess is unless the bottom falls out this season he’s going to think they are in the right track and peace or two away.  

think Irsay already made that clear by extending both Ballard and Reich

but it does sort of make the "2 Lombardis in a decade" claim a bit dubious

1 minute ago, J@son said:

you are recalling incorrectly.  Grigson was fired for a number of reasons

and none of those reasons involved not making the playoffs? doubt it

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think we will pay Q lot of money to play guard.  JMO.  I think Fisher will be our LT.  I think Q gets tagged and plays under the tag or gets traded.  Smith just got paid and Fisher will get a nice contract.  You have to draw the line somewhere. Reed just showed we don’t need to overpay for a guard.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think we will pay Q lot of money to play guard.  JMO.  I think Fisher will be our LT.  I think Q gets tagged and plays under the tag or gets traded.  Smith just got paid and Fisher will get a nice contract.  You have to draw the line somewhere. Reed just showed we don’t need to overpay for a guard.

If you’ve listened to anything Ballard has ever said it’s hard to envision him letting Nelson walk.  Everything from paying your own to it’s never a mistake to pay good players regardless of position and he’s back it up by paying his own regardless of position.  

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I don't even think that happens to be honest....

We'll hear more about delayed gratification, and how are draft picks from this year will develop, and our new draft picks will make us even better. 

I wish someone would ask Ballard at his next presser (if he has one anytime soon) why our 3T hasn't really been the key to our D... 

Yup. Just sounded crazy. Did someone hand him notes/counts after that, because I thought he then gave the numbers or close to the numbers. Or was it the reporter lol.. 

He doesn't call out specific players, he says "execution"... 

Like I said, feel free to believe whatever you want. I personally believe Reich has been very subpar in game plans over the last several years, and has stepped on his duck often play calling. And it's stuff that happens over and over again. There are specific trends he's had passing it too much. It's been discussed ad nauseum. At the end of the day, I expect players to make mistakes in the heat of battle, especially when they are put in the wrong situation. I don't expect coaches to consistently go against the grain or make the same mistakes over and over again.

Right so he doesn’t call out players. When did he call out “execution”?

another benefit of running the ball more...it gives your top notch OL the chance to beat up and wear down the opposing team's DL.  If Frank had run the ball the way the Titans did, then the Titans pass rushers would have been much more worn down by the 4th quarter.  The Titans have one of the best DLs in the league leading the league in multiple pass rush categories....passing 51 times and running taylor only 10 just played right into their hands.

run. the. damn. ball

also did anyone else catch the fact that frank did not know the run to pass ratio when asked by the reporters? isn't this a problem? lmao. the reporters had to tell him what the ratio was. How is he not aware of this? Im so confused. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's from the article on the front page of colts.com

"Reich specifically put Carson Wentz's pick-six — which broke a 24-24 tie with about a minute and a half remaining in the fourth quarter — on him.

Reich called for a screen to tight end Mo Alie-Cox, expecting the Titans' pass rush to over-commit to trying for a safety and allowing Wentz to drop the ball off to Alie-Cox. But Tennessee's defensive line read the play, and Wentz wasn't able to throw the ball into the ground for an incompletion. He flicked the ball in the air with his left hand to avoid a safety and cornerback Elijah Molden intercepted it for a touchdown.

"That was 100 percent my fault," Reich said. "It was a bad call. It was a screen to Mo and they were sitting right on it. We hadn't thrown that — didn't think they would ever be thinking that at that point in the game. I've been around too long to know you don't call a screen backed up in that situation.

"I told Carson right after that play, he came over to the sideline, I said that's 100 percent my fault. That's a terrible play call. Now just go make it right.""

Alright I’ll concede the point of a screen pass.

However, still doesn’t excuse the terrible pass. Just because someone calls a bad play, doesn’t give you cart Blanche to make the worst possible throw imaginable. Call it a bad play (as I will) but it was an even worse throw/decision by Wentz.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you’ve listened to anything Ballard has ever said it’s hard to envision him letting Nelson walk.  Everything from paying your own to it’s never a mistake to pay good players regardless of position and he’s back it up by paying his own regardless of position.  

I heard that but you can’t always afford to pay all of your players.  The cap can prevent that no matter how much he might want to.  It happens all the time.  That’s why players move.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

Alright I’ll concede the point of a screen pass.

However, still doesn’t excuse the terrible pass. Just because someone calls a bad play, doesn’t give you cart Blanche to make the worst possible throw imaginable. Call it a bad play (as I will) but it was an even worse throw/decision by Wentz.

It was a bad play Wentz made worse.  Both made mistakes.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

I heard that but you can’t always afford to pay all of your players.  The cap can prevent that no matter how much he might want to.  It happens all the time.  That’s why players move.

Yes but he’s not going to let maybe the best player on his roster leave.

Archived