Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Hundley elevated and officially the backup QB, Ibraheim Campbell (S) elevated as well

holeymoley99

28 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think the real tell here is that it seems one glaring trait Eason doesn't have when compared to Wentz, Hundley, and Ellingher is mobility. In this offense I always thought mobility was an essential key and why I never understood why Chad K. Was ousted so quick. In any event, it is also why I thought Trubisky was potentially a good fit here in the off-season. Nothing against Wentz, he's cool if he can stay healthy but I just thought Tubisky was a better, less costly option. In any event, Eason was never an option personally for me since he was drafted. The league is changing and the statuesque type of QB, unless extremely elite. Just isn't the fad these days

I dunno why Hundley and Ehlinger running around (because they can't really read D's either) is clearly more desirable than Eason, but that's just me. 

The Colts do think they wasted the pick (another one) but I'm not 100% sure why, especially in comparison to what's here. I don't think Ehlinger is ever going to be anything- at all. Hundley actually might be better for the job right now, but I'm not sure if I'm running the zoo, I'd undermine myself by making that move. Guy off the street is better than your 4th round pick.. again?

This doesn't bolster anyone's credibility for my buck. Good thing it's just the back up gig. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I dunno why Hundley and Ehlinger running around (because they can't really read D's either) is clearly more desirable than Eason, but that's just me. 

The Colts do think they wasted the pick (another one) but I'm not 100% sure why, especially in comparison to what's here. I don't think Ehlinger is ever going to be anything- at all. Hundley actually might be better for the job right now, but I'm not sure if I'm running the zoo, I'd undermine myself by making that move. Guy off the street is better than your 4th round pick.. again?

This doesn't bolster anyone's credibility for my buck. Good thing it's just the back up gig. 

Hundley was a fifth round pick of Green Bay. He set the single season passing yards record at UCLA and is their career record holder in total yards and touchdown passes. It's not like Eason was much more highly regarded coming out of college. Most qbs picked in the fourth or fifth round become backups at best.

20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I just keep hearing in my head not more than 10 days ago Reich said he had full confidence in Eason

What else could he have said in that situation -- we don't think Jacob can read a defense, make good decisions quickly or throw passes with touch, but he's got that strong arm and he's all we've got.

8 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Hundley was a fifth round pick of Green Bay. He set the single season passing yards record at UCLA and is their career record holder in total yards and touchdown passes. It's not like Eason was much more highly regarded coming out of college. Most qbs picked in the fourth or fifth round become backups at best.

The vaunted power house of UCLA.. I factor all of that, zero, to be honest. What he was in Green Bay was bad. I saw some of that.

I'm not overly concerned with what people thought of these guys coming out of college. Now that they've seen them in the pro's, they are what they are. We all know very few people can play QB at the level everyone wants. 

To be honest, what was the point again?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

The vaunted power house of UCLA.. I factor all of that, zero, to be honest. What he was in Green Bay was bad. I saw some of that.

I'm not overly concerned with what people thought of these guys coming out of college. Now that they've seen them in the pro's, they are what they are. We all know very few people can play QB at the level everyone wants. 

To be honest, what was the point again?

I'm not saying Hundley is good. The point is that some posters seem to think Eason is clearly better, in part because he was a fourth round pick, and I don't see any evidence to support that viewpoint. 

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

I'm not saying Hundley is good. The point is that some posters seem to think Eason is clearly better, in part because he was a fourth round pick, and I don't see any evidence to support that viewpoint. 

We couldn't possibly know, we've seen a preseason and 3 (?) live passes. That the brass is willing to toss their own under the bus- based on almost no live action for Brett Hundley, UCLA hero/guy off the couch doesn't fill my heart with confidence about much of anything going on there. Again, good thing it's for a backup job.

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We couldn't possibly know, we've seen a preseason and 3 (?) live passes. That the brass is willing to toss their own under the bus- based on almost no live action for Brett Hundley, UCLA hero/guy off the couch doesn't fill my heart with confidence about much of anything going on there. Again, good thing it's for a backup job.

What we know about Eason is that the coaching staff clearly thinks he is not good or at least is not ready. We should also know that he dropped to a fourth round pick despite having perhaps the draft's strongest arm because of other deficiencies. It seems that the Colts hoped they could fix those deficiencies but that hasn't worked out so far.

19 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm 34, never been injured, can run the Ball like Lamar Jackson, and can throw accurate 10 yards or less (although beyond that it could get scary). Does that qualify me to start for the Colts? haha 

You run a 4.34 40?

With Carson Wentz playing well this week versus the Dolphins, I'm curious what people think will happen with Brett Hundley.

If he stays the backup for the Colts, then they will have to sign him to the active roster.

I have a feeling they will go back to Jacob Eason as backup next week, and leave Hundley on practice squad.

I'm I a fool for thinking this ?   probably....

plus with Sam Ehlinger soon coming off IR , there may be a small log jam at backup. I really can't see the Colts

having four QB's on active roster with a relatively  health Carson Wentz.  I guess Sam could stay on IR.

3 hours ago, StartEason said:

With Carson Wentz playing well this week versus the Dolphins, I'm curious what people think will happen with Brett Hundley.

If he stays the backup for the Colts, then they will have to sign him to the active roster.

I have a feeling they will go back to Jacob Eason as backup next week, and leave Hundley on practice squad.

I'm I a fool for thinking this ?   probably....

plus with Sam Ehlinger soon coming off IR , there may be a small log jam at backup. I really can't see the Colts

having four QB's on active roster with a relatively  health Carson Wentz.  I guess Sam could stay on IR.

Sam will be moved to roster, Eason cut and if makes it through waivers signed to P.S. and Hundley stays on P.S.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:54 PM, JediXMan said:

Damn what a mess the coaches already gave up on Eason. I’m pretty indifferent with Eason but I do kinda feel bad for how he’s being treated atm.

I think maybe the QB whisperer should have spoke a little louder 'cause Eason 

couldn't hear what he was saying. :funny:

10 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Doesn’t this trigger him being on the active roster. If so that spells doom for Eason. Also got Sam lingering around as well.

No trigger for protecting.

And protection only lasts part of the weak (Tuesday through Sunday). 

A player can be poached after the game though Monday.

If they want him active though, they will have to sign him to the 53. 

Just because they are protecting him, doesn't mean they'll sign him. 

With Wentz getting healthier, they might just roll the dice with Eason.

Colts designated Sam to return last week, so he could possibly be in the mix too.

But yes, pretty messy. 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:54 AM, BeanDiasucci said:

What else could he have said in that situation -- we don't think Jacob can read a defense, make good decisions quickly or throw passes with touch, but he's got that strong arm and he's all we've got.

He was named the backup coming out of preseason and would have been the starter game 1 if Wentz couldn't go. Then is thrown in a winable game with a tick over 2 minutes remaining. Rather than let him get somewhat comfortable and let him hand off on a running play and let the clock go down to 2 minutes and bring him to the sideline and talk to him Reich throws him in and immediately call 2 pass plays in a row. Then next week he brings Hundley up from the practice squad and he gets all of Easons snaps that week and the guy from the practice squad is named the backup. Now people are surmising he is on the cut bubble now that a 6th round rookie is coming off IR. To me this whole scenario is total nonsense unless there is a lot more that went on behind the scenes or Reich totally blew it in naming him the backup and building him up as being ready only to totally drop him. Doesn't make sense to me.

Treating a team member as they have with Eason I wouldn't think would set well in the locker room unless Eason is a problem character.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Sam is the 2 going forward, expect it to happen Thursday or Friday

Highly doubtful. He didn't show nearly enough in the offseason to warrant jumping all the way up to QB2. I could actually see Hundley get elevated to the 53 and Ehlinger get bumped to the PS.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

He was named the backup coming out of preseason and would have been the starter game 1 if Wentz couldn't go. Then is thrown in a winable game with a tick over 2 minutes remaining. Rather than let him get somewhat comfortable and let him hand off on a running play and let the clock go down to 2 minutes and bring him to the sideline and talk to him Reich throws him in and immediately call 2 pass plays in a row. Then next week he brings Hundley up from the practice squad and he gets all of Easons snaps that week and the guy from the practice squad is named the backup. Now people are surmising he is on the cut bubble now that a 6th round rookie is coming off IR. To me this whole scenario is total nonsense unless there is a lot more that went on behind the scenes or Reich totally blew it in naming him the backup and building him up as being ready only to totally drop him. Doesn't make sense to me.

Me neither.  That 6th round rookie coming off IR should find himself on the practice squad soon.  After all he didn’t win the backup job during the preseason and the only  thing that has changed was him getting injured.  Eason vs Hundley is a different animal.  Since Wentz is getting healthy I would think Eason would return to his backup role.  I find it hard to believe he has suddenly fallen off the cliff.  Did Reich really blow his original call on Eason?  I find that theory hard to believe as well.

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

Highly doubtful. He didn't show nearly enough in the offseason to warrant jumping all the way up to QB2. I could actually see Hundley get elevated to the 53 and Ehlinger get bumped to the PS.

It’s the only thing that would make sense why they are doing what they are doing to Eason.  It was clear how much they like Sam from the time he was drafted.  With his mobility it does give them a backup where they can keep a lot of the playbook the same if Wentz went down. If anything it might be Eason released and put on the PS. Stephen holder said without giving away his source they do not like how Eason hadn’t grasped the playbook.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s the only thing that would make sense why they are doing what they are doing to Eason.  It was clear how much they like Sam from the time he was drafted.  With his mobility it does give them a backup where they can keep a lot of the playbook the same if Wentz went down. If anything it might be Eason released and put on the PS. Stephen holder said without giving away his source they do not like how Eason hadn’t grasped the playbook.

You're not wrong, but I think with all of the talk of experience being the reason Hundley has been the backup over Eason, elevating a rookie to be QB2 would be completely contradicting everything Reich has said so far. 

33 minutes ago, Shive said:

You're not wrong, but I think with all of the talk of experience being the reason Hundley has been the backup over Eason, elevating a rookie to be QB2 would be completely contradicting everything Reich has said so far. 

Well all I can say about that is Sam does have a ton more football experience then Eason. He has played a lot of football. 

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Or maybe he did everything possible just doesn’t have a high enough mental capacity to pick up the playbook.

That's possible but wouldn't that fall under " failed to impress the coaches"?

It's pretty clear they gave him the opportunity to snag the back up QB position.  

15 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't feel sorry for Eason.   This is all on him.  He failed to impress the coaches.  

Would you feel sorry for Eason if he lost the backup role for a reason other than his QB ability ?

Anyways, I have a strong feeling Eason will be back at the backup role this week versus the Ravens.

reason one.... Brett Hundley was protected on the practice squad this week.

Why do that if they plan to sign him to the active roster?

reason two....Just for team management reasons, not so much for a big difference

they may see in Eason or Hundley as backup.

It gives them "one more card to play" by leaving that spot open.

reason three.  Maybe Sam Ehlinger plays into the equation too

reason four.... I highly believe you can not cut Eason and expect him to pass through 

waivers to add to practice squad.   Too much potential talent

Note:   I have no inside information, and I'm just speculating 

14 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Or maybe he did everything possible just doesn’t have a high enough mental capacity to pick up the playbook.

But Reich was praising him as did Bradley from how far he came since he came on board last year. Are you thinking he forgot the play book or he fooled the coaches ? During camp Reich was high on him and said numerous times he had total confidence in him.

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

But Reich was praising him as did Bradley from how far he came since he came on board last year. Are you thinking he forgot the play book or he fooled the coaches ? During camp Reich was high on him and said numerous times he had total confidence in him.

Reich is going to praise everyone. What we don’t know is deed he not work hard in a year he sat learning the playbook or does he just not have the IQ to pick it up. He has had such little college experience.

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

A ton more?

Eason played one year at georgia. Got hurt his sophomore year and sat the rest of the year. Then transferred and sat a year. Like 18 months with no football. Then played a year and left. Then sat another year.  I believe sam was the starter at Texas all four years. He just has more football experience.

29 minutes ago, StartEason said:

Would you feel sorry for Eason if he lost the backup role for a reason other than his QB ability ?

It depends.   If he was disruptive in the locker room and at practices he could lose the back up role.   We don't know what happened but he didn't impress the coaching staff enough to have that role if he loses it.   Whether he didn't impress with his ability on the field or he didn't impress with his drive in learning the system, the role was pretty much his to lose this season.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It depends.   If he was disruptive in the locker room and at practices he could lose the back up role.   We don't know what happened but he didn't impress the coaching staff enough to have that role if he loses it.   Whether he didn't impress with his ability on the field or he didn't impress with his drive in learning the system, the role was pretty much his to lose this season.   

I have seen zero evidence of him being a bad team mate. In his interviews he is often heard naming his teammates by name, and praising them. Even when demoted from his backup role, he was highly positive about it and was excited about competition for that role.  He " didn't demand being cut or traded."

I can not comment on learning the system , I'm far from knowing what he does or doesn't know.

But, from his NFL tape there doesn't seem to be a confused feel of his decision making.  Meaning calling time outs, or just looking lost during the play.  He even ran a trick play at end of the game very cleanly. ( probably deep in play book )

For example with Sam Ehlinger he had several plays where he looks like he is spinning with confusion , and even one time tried to pitch the ball to OL Sam Tevi .

Anyways fun topic , but hopefully the Colts backup role is just a  moot point if Carson stays healthy.

Stephen Holder and For the Colture boys both saying it had to do with grasping the playbook tells me that is what it was. With two sources saying that who aren’t connected it pretty much verified that is what it is. We just don’t know if it’s because of work ethic or just not a high enough IQ. I don’t think it is anything to do with being disruptive. He is good friends with Pittman off the field. 

Archived