Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where will this draft take us?

WithSomeLuck12

What if Grigson shocks us and goes completely BPA, regardless of position? One of our posters had the Eagles drafts since Grigson was there and he likes lineman for sure. He seems like the type that really gets into finding gems in the draft and not so much grabbing for need. When we're looking for WR's, he may see a better value at another position. I think that's the best way to build a team.

I agree with you totally. BPA. The roster lacks talent almost everywhere

So what he's 33, he's just signed for three years. Which gives us...... 3 years to sign his replacement. Why rush the move? He's still probowl caliber. Collie isn't always hurt, look at last year. He played all 16 games. Avery I agree is a slight gamble, but his knee has healed and the injury is somewhat old now, and he has recovered. But we'll see on this one.

I don't follow your Gonzo is gone argument. He didn't catch ONE catch all season. And Garcon's replacement is Avery. We're pretty set, which gives space for our biggest needs = TE + CB.

And WR is still a need, I agree. But how does it beat the need of TE and CB? I see us drafting WR in later rounds, for two reasons. 1) the WR class is DEEP this year, and 2) we have bigger needs, plus I don't see a WR being BPA until later rounds.

At no point did I say it's a bigger need than TE or CB. Andy said it wasn't a need at all, which just isn't true, is it?

So we're happy going in with

Wayne

Collie

Avery

White

Cosby

Okay then.

I agree with both of you. I think we need to add a receiver at some point in this draft, but I don't think we need to take one in the second round.

I'm not very knowledgable on the players coming into the draft beyond maybe the first and second round, but is this TE class very good / which ones could contribute right away besides obviously Fleener...I mean we NEED a tight end that can start right away unless management is ok with Eldridge...

So this draft is huge for so many people and the colts in general. Grigs could look like a hero if he does well and be booed for years if he's picks are busts. We all know we'll be taking a QB. That's a whole different arguement. So my question is where do we go with the rest of the draft? All offense, defense, or a mix? Would love a Luck/Hill combo with the first and 34th picks.

I honestly believe that this will be a very fruitful draft for us. With Irsays experience, Grigsons eye for talent, and Paganos knowledge, we'll definitely land some great players with the picks we have.

What about LBs? Freeney could be a disaster at OLB. Should we draft his replacement now? Or do you think Pagano will revert to the 4-3 to have an effective pass rush?

I dont believe that we will go with a complete 3-4 this year, rather have a hybrid of both, at least for this year. But Pagano has said that he plans to use Freeney like he did with Suggs and that is to basically always rush the passer and play very little coverage. I actually think Freeney's gonna do well in this position, or at least he CAN do well if he puts in the time. I've also heard that he's probably gonna have his hand in the ground a lot of the time anyway, so it wont be THAT much different for him, at least lets hope.

I dont believe that we will go with a complete 3-4 this year, rather have a hybrid of both, at least for this year. But Pagano has said that he plans to use Freeney like he did with Suggs and that is to basically always rush the passer and play very little coverage. I actually think Freeney's gonna do well in this position, or at least he CAN do well if he puts in the time. I've also heard that he's probably gonna have his hand in the ground a lot of the time anyway, so it wont be THAT much different for him, at least lets hope.

That being said, they will probably draft a replacement not because he'll do bad, but because he has 1 year left on his deal...who knows, maybe we pick a OLB with the 2nd pick...I dont see that out of the question at all, especially if that OLB is BPA

We definately have needs all over the place. I see us taking bpa the whole draft...and in doing so will target TE, CB, WR, NT, LB, AND OL. Of course that is just about every position but they all need help and whoever is there with the highest grade gets picked. I can see us trading back from 34 for more picks or to move up in later rounds. I think the first pick of the 3rd round which will be on day 2 we should see a quality player come off the board or a trade. We will have had all night to reevaluate the draft and our team and have chances to field offers. That pick should land us something special. I look at it as the 1st pick in the draft (take 2). We will see a lot of people arguing over who to take that night for sure! At least then we will know the board and can have a good debate..as of right now we don't know if Fleener, Jenkins, Hill, Randle, or any of our projected guys will be there at 34..but round 3...we will know exactly who is available and have a better idea of our needs.

I've seen quite a few people post that we'll have the first pick on day 2. Not to rain on anybodys parade, but the first night of the draft is round 1 only. See the text below taken directly from nfl.com/draft/2012

"The NFL draft returns to primetime in 2012, with the first round taking place Thurs., April 26, followed by the second and third rounds on Fri., April 27. Rounds 4-7 will be held Sat., April 28."

We'll have the second pick to start day two, which is still not a bad place to be picking from. First round talent will still be there. As far as where to go with it, it's really hard to argue with BPA. Especially for a team with so many needs.

If we manag to have a draft like the chiefs had a couple of years ago when they got glenn dorsey, brandon albert, jamaal charles and brandon carr we would have the foundations and be ready to compete really soon...along with last years draft that i think was one of the best drafts we have had in like 6 years would make a nice improvement.

It's pretty amazing that only 25% of the top 10 picks in the draft live up to their hype and only 40% of the number 1 overall picks live up to theirs. So the draft really is tough to predict. It does show that it takes more than just the draft to build a team. As big a crap shoot that free agency is, the draft is more so. It takes the draft, free agency, and even a undrafted free agents to build a team. I hope Grigson uses all three methods.

I would take Fleener with our 2nd pick, but I doubt he's still there. With the success Pats had with Gronkowski (plus the fact the draft isn't deep with good TE's) he will be gone by then.

Heck, maybe they will sign Clark at veteran minimum since nobody is even sniffing in his direction. <- probably for good reason though

I've seen quite a few people post that we'll have the first pick on day 2. Not to rain on anybodys parade, but the first night of the draft is round 1 only. See the text below taken directly from nfl.com/draft/2012

"The NFL draft returns to primetime in 2012, with the first round taking place Thurs., April 26, followed by the second and third rounds on Fri., April 27. Rounds 4-7 will be held Sat., April 28."

We'll have the second pick to start day two, which is still not a bad place to be picking from. First round talent will still be there. As far as where to go with it, it's really hard to argue with BPA. Especially for a team with so many needs.

Didn't realize that! That sucks to me lol. Every other year it had been round 1 and 2 on the first day. Basically round 1 will not even be worth watching then. Thanks for the info!

1. QB: No explanation necessary, Luck all the way

2. CB: Rucker could be a solid corner in a few years, but right now Powers is the only one that deserves a starting role. I think we should use the 34th pick on a CB to get Jenkins (if he resolves his off field issues), Norman, or Robinson

3. TE: Brody Eldridge is our starter as we speak and although he's a great blocker, he hasn't shown much as a receiver. We could go Orson Charles in 3rd-4th, James Hanna in the later rounds, or Ladarius Green in 3rd-4th, who is similiar to Fleener

4. WR: We at least have Wayne, Avery, and Collie as a good trio if they are healthy. Avery is hurt a lot, Collie is concussion prone, and Wayne's aging. Perhaps pick up Brian Quick, Nick Toon, A.J. Jenkins, Marvin McNutt or Ryan Broyles if healthy for starters and depth

5. D-Line: We have Redding, McKinney, and Nevis/ Moala as starting line right now but with Freeney and Mathis now LBs, we need a good enough end to eventually start and probably depth. Options include Kendell Reyes, Alemada Ta'amu, Josh Chapman, and Nick Jean-Baptiste

6. FB: Grigson announced the colts would be using a FB and Luck used one throughout his college career and we only have Mahaffey. If we can get him, Evan Rodriguez would be a great potential starter.

This is only what I suggest to do. ANY OPINIONS?

1. QB: No explanation necessary, Luck all the way 2. CB: Rucker could be a solid corner in a few years, but right now Powers is the only one that deserves a starting role. I think we should use the 34th pick on a CB to get Jenkins (if he resolves his off field issues), Norman, or Robinson 3. TE: Brody Eldridge is our starter as we speak and although he's a great blocker, he hasn't shown much as a receiver. We could go Orson Charles in 3rd-4th, James Hanna in the later rounds, or Ladarius Green in 3rd-4th, who is similiar to Fleener 4. WR: We at least have Wayne, Avery, and Collie as a good trio if they are healthy. Avery is hurt a lot, Collie is concussion prone, and Wayne's aging. Perhaps pick up Brian Quick, Nick Toon, A.J. Jenkins, Marvin McNutt or Ryan Broyles if healthy for starters and depth 5. D-Line: We have Redding, McKinney, and Nevis/ Moala as starting line right now but with Freeney and Mathis now LBs, we need a good enough end to eventually start and probably depth. Options include Kendell Reyes, Alemada Ta'amu, Josh Chapman, and Nick Jean-Baptiste 6. FB: Grigson announced the colts would be using a FB and Luck used one throughout his college career and we only have Mahaffey. If we can get him, Evan Rodriguez would be a great potential starter. This is only what I suggest to do. ANY OPINIONS?
All very sound opinions with good supportive arguements. I see nothing wrong with your assessment. We have a few other picks to use as well so perhaps another TE I would imagine and perhaps a LB and G. I am not sure who will be available at those picks but I think we may swap the WR and TE in rounds 3 and 4 because of the value on the board. I think those TEs you mentioned a couple could fall back to 4 and there may be more talented receivers at 3. I am not real excited about any of those receivers you mentioned. I also think we pick up a couple UDFAs like a RB and WR and TE to help fill out the roster and camp competition.

Rounds:

1. QB (Obviously Luck)

2. WR (Sanu, Jeffery, Wright, Hill)

3. TE (Green or Charles)

4. CB (Would like Keith Tandy)

5. OT/OG (David Molk or Phillip Blake)

6. NT (Praying Nicholas Jean-Baptiste is available)

7. FB (Evan Rodriguez), TE (Best available tight end), and best offensive lineman available.

I am hoping we go mostly offense with a need or two in defense.

Love this draft, want Fleener at 34 tho. Id settle for this. Too high for sanu

The defense is one cornerback and one more nose tackle away from being complete. Perhaps another cornerback as well. I still think alameda ta amu is a good idea. And janoris Jenkins if available

Both of those guys come with baggage - Jenkins more so than Ta'Amu. To me it's one thing to draft one quesitonable character/effort guy, but to draft multiple players who have a history of bad decisions/lack of effort before they had lots of cash and opportunity at their disposal is a bad, bad idea.

I am hoping someone falls from the first round and the Colts have the opportunity to trade down from 34 with a team that wants to go get that player. With so many holes to fill, and so many similar talents at positions like CB, TE, WR, and NT, I'd love to see multiple picks gained.

Sliding down 10-15 picks in a round I don't think will cause any huge loss of value in most cases. And if the Colts can find one or two opportunities to do that after Luck in round one, I think this is the year to do that based on the long list of needs.

I would rather have a Luck/Fleener combo, since we already have Reggie at the WR. Luck and Fleener have a lot of chemistry with each other and Fleener has a lot of talent, not to mention that WR is not a big need, maybe not even a need at all.

Already having Wayne makes Hill a better option IMO. Reggie is as technically sound as any WR in the NFL and if he can pass that on to physical freak like Hill we would have a special player indeed.

I would prefer Josh Robinson at CB with pick 34 to help build the Monster. CB seems to be the biggest need. We need a starter because Rucker and Thomas have not proven anything yet and Powers has not played a complete season yet. But if a really outstanding player like Kendall Reyes falls to 34 and it is looking like that is likely, it would be hard to pass him over. TE is a big need but we are probably not going to see as many 2 TE sets as we have used in the past. Wayne and Avery will start at WR with Collie playing the slot and backing them up. Most rookie WRs take time to develope and probably would not start this year plus this draft is the deepest at WR so one will be available with a later pick.

I know everyone wants to load up weapons for luck. I don't think it is wise to look for Defensive players in late rounds... We are doing a 360 on D and need to get quality players in rounds 3 and 4. I can see a TE in round 2 but with Wayne Avery and Collie we are good enough at WR for now. We need a CB or NT more than a WR, not to mention a second OLB to go along with Mathis.

Luck will be fine. The colts showed there dedication to running the ball and protecting luck by signing good quality OL. With Wayne coming back the O should improve once we fit the O around Lucks strengths. If we don't draft for Defense we won't be able to stop anybody and be 2-14 again no matter how good luck is. We need a solid NT or CB early in the draft. Then pick up an ILB in the late rounds. Wade Phillips did it last year in Huston, Im confident we can as well