Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grading the current roster

rock8591

Attached is my rough grade of the current roster; click to enlarge the view.

Several things before I start:

1. I am out of town and using an old laptop with the most basic version of MS Word. (pardon the poor-resolution color codes)

2. This is not designed to take into account every bubble player nor every formation to be used (e.g. nickel, dime, goal line).

3. For players labeled with an *asterisk, it is to indicate they are not on the active roster to begin the season.

Grading-the-roster.jpg

• rock8591 changed the title to Grading the current roster
26 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

1. I am out of town and using an old laptop with the most basic version of MS Word. (pardon the poor-resolution color codes)

2. This is not designed to take into account every bubble player nor every formation to be used (e.g. nickel, dime, goal line).

3. For players labeled with an *asterisk, it is to indicate they are not on the active roster to begin the season.

Grading-the-roster.jpg

Great list overall, these are always hard to do and I love reading them. It breaks my heart to see TY as average but age seems to he catching him. My only 2 changes/disagreements would be that I think Okereke is a "good" starter. If we're tiering known players from poor to elite I wouldn't put him 3 tiers below the best. You've got the Leonard, Wagner, Warner class(non pass rushers), with the tier below them being other big name guys. Putting Okereke 2 more below that seems a bit extreme! I also think Muhammad is sneaky good and would be an average starter but won't claim to have a solid argument for that other than the eye test. 

Nice job! 

A mostly solid take on the roster, i agree with pretty much all of it aside from the mentions above about Rodrigo / Kenny and I also think that it is a bit harsh to list Hines as average. He isnt asked to be a bellcow RB1, he is a change of pace back who catches balls outa the backfield, but darn it he is also capable of running it up the gut when required and breaking one or two loose as well.

I'd squarely slot Hines in the Good bracket.

Nice!  You didn’t overgrade because of name recognition.  Bobby O still has to prove he can be a plugger, we know he’s very good in coverage.  Hot Rod missed a couple easy shots in big situations.   

I like to think that any player who received, or is going to get a second contract or extension has to be “good”.  But we do have a couple (TY and Wentz) who have to prove it.  

It would be cool to see the same chart for the other contenders.  I have to believe the Colts average out higher that most teams.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great work and good list. Not to be funny but how is Blakenship average? Dude is money inside of 49 yards, he is good at worse.

missed 2 XPs and 3 49 or less last year.

i can't say anyone is money if they've missed XPs.

confident he'll be great this year though

11 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Grading-the-roster.jpg

Kenny Moore is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL.  His grade is a bit disrespectful!

7 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Kenny Moore is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL.  His grade is a bit disrespectful!

It is a subjective assessment so I wouldn't say it's disrespectful, but I agree that Moore could easily be rated higher.  He may be the best slot corner in the league.  Easily top 5.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

It is a subjective assessment so I wouldn't say it's disrespectful, but I agree that Moore could easily be rated higher.  He may be the best slot corner in the league.  Easily top 5.

I can see putting him in the good category based off last season. Personally, I think he's a high-quality starter though. But like you said, it's subjective.

Stats are not really subjective, and for the most part, QBs had success throwing his way. But his game is much more than pass coverage.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great work and good list. Not to be funny but how is Blakenship average? Dude is money inside of 49 yards, he is good at worse.

Ehh idk. We’ll see this year how he does. I would say he’s money from 35-45. And to be a kicker in the NFL you need to be able to kick 50 plus yarders, especially indoors.

I’m just skeptical of him. He did miss 5 last year. And a big one in the playoffs.

It's better to be harsh on the grading than look through things through Blue and White goggles.

Kenny Moore would probably be somewhere between Good to Solid/High Quality starter but plays NB and is not a #1 shutdown CB, so I left him at Good.

Rodrigo is automatic within 45 yards, but anything further and is questionable.

Okereke is Average-Good, but will not cause any players in the league to lose sleep the night before.

I think Wilkins could be a starter on many teams, to be honest.  I don't think he gets outside attention he deserves - also on the contrary, I feel like many on these forums give him more credit by looking at YPC only.  That's definitely an indicator of talent but there are a lot of factors that go into it as well - obviously our coaching staff see things differently, but our RB group is absolutely stacked.

I still think we can find a way to trade Wilkins somehow, I think he's better than below average.  Hell I think he's better than Donald Brown was.

Archived