Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the turf a concern to you?

CR91

Wentz

Nelson

Kelly

Buckner

Blackmon

Hearing a lot of people on Twitter complaining about the turf. Just seems like there are more injuries then normal and someone new is getting hurt everyday. I get it that's football, but it's becoming a concern when we haven't even played a single game yet.

Kelly got a hyperextended elbow, Wentz Re-injured an old high school foot injury and Nelson got his foot stepped on and the doctors found he had an extra bone in his foot that became loose. Seems like it’s more bad luck injury bug than the field.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

LOS doesn’t have a practice field.  It’s has the field they play on.  The Colts practices turfs are at their complex.

Ok should I have just said their practice field?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ok should I have just said their practice field?

Since it’s not the field they play on and this practice field doesn’t have a history of foot injuries before this camp no.  It’s a fluke situation.

1 minute ago, atapcl said:

I’ve been saying we need to do something about the turf since Vic Ballard got hurt in 2013.

They replaced it in 2018.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Since it’s not the field they play on and this practice field doesn’t have a history of foot injuries before this camp no.  It’s a fluke situation.

Three foot injuries is a fluke to you? Four if you wanna count Andrew. We never did get a legit explanation about how he hurt his calf. Just something about getting hurt working out.

Just now, CR91 said:

Three foot injuries is a fluke to you? Four if you wanna count Andrew. We never did get a legit explanation about how he hurt his calf. Just something about getting hurt working out.

Well since Nelson’s happened by getting stepped on that could happen anywhere and has nothing to do with the field it’s on.  Carson’s they have said was an old injury could happen anywhere.  No idea how Buckner was hurt yet but it doesn’t sound serious.  Guys get nicked and dinged up all the time in camp.  Buckner’s sounds like that.  We are just hyper sensitive to foot injuries because of Nelson and Carson right now.  

As for Andrew, to me at least, the calf injury was a cover to cover up the fact he was thinking about retiring.  Also his injury occurred before the Colts got to camp so he did it on his own.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well since Nelson’s happened by getting stepped on that could happen anywhere and has nothing to do with the field it’s on.  Carson’s they have said was an old injury could happen anywhere.  No idea how Buckner was hurt yet but it doesn’t sound serious.  Guys get nicked and dinged up all the time in camp.  Buckner’s sounds like that.  We are just hyper sensitive to foot injuries because of Nelson and Carson right now.  

As for Andrew, to me at least, the calf injury was a cover to cover up the fact he was thinking about retiring.  Also his injury occurred before the Colts got to camp so he did it on his own.

How do you step on a foot so bad that it dislodges a bone? Buckner I hope is nothing. Not exactly comforting what Reich said. You think so about Andrew? Why would he wanna retire if he wasn't hurt especially coming off a great year statistically?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

How do you step on a foot so bad that it dislodges a bone? Buckner I hope is nothing. Not exactly comforting what Reich said. You think so about Andrew? Why would he wanna retire if he wasn't hurt especially coming off a great year statistically?

Foot injuries in football happen all the time as the result of being stepped on.  

The Andrew thing has been debated to death.  I think he simply just lost his love for the game and realized there was more to life than football.  I also think the fact he was going to become a dad abs he didn’t want to be crippled from football injuries and not be able to do the things he wanted as a dad played a role.  

That’s my opinion you’d have to ask Andrew himself why he retired though.  He’s the only one who can answer that and he doesn’t seem interested in answering it.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The replacement must be just as bad. We have continued to have a lot of injuries. Do they still put a concrete slab underneath the turf?

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Foot injuries in football happen all the time as the result of being stepped on.  

The Andrew thing has been debated to death.  I think he simply just lost his love for the game and realized there was more to life than football.  I also think the fact he was going to become a dad abs he didn’t want to be crippled from football injuries and not be able to do the things he wanted as a dad played a role.  

That’s my opinion you’d have to ask Andrew himself why he retired though.  He’s the only one who can answer that and he doesn’t seem interested in answering it.

I'm not gonna derail the thread. Just thought your take was interesting.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I'm not gonna derail the thread. Just thought your take was interesting.

I should probably be clear I think he did suffer a legit calf strain sometime before OTAs.  I think that made him re-examine his desire to play football again and the Colts then stretched out that calf injury as a cover while Andrew made his decision.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I should probably be clear I think he did suffer a legit calf strain sometime before OTAs.  I think that made him re-examine his desire to play football again and the Colts then stretched out that calf injury as a cover while Andrew made his decision.

I can see that, but the negligence on the colts part to not have a proper plan in place if that was the case is insane especially when that plan was just to roll with Brissett.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Will Caroll is wrong. They practice on grass outside. The only time they use the turf is if it’s rainy. They haven’t had to do that yet. He needs to get his facts before spewing nonsense.

It's turf at grand Park I'm pretty sure

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They haven’t practiced in the indoor facility this year at all. Every practice has been outside on the grass.

I don't think practicing outside necessary means it's grass. You can still do field turf.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

You actually listed an elbow injury.   Kelly got hurt when Mack ran into him.   And there’s nothing posted that says Blackmon knee had anything to do with the turf.  

Why you lumped these in with the foot injuries is a mystery….

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I can see that, but the negligence on the colts part to not have a proper plan in place if that was the case is insane especially when that plan was just to roll with Brissett.

Now you’re floating the word negligence?!?   Completely embarrassing.   

What has happened to you?!? 

Dear God!      :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now you’re floating the word negligence?!?   Completely embarrassing.   

What has happened to you?!? 

Dear God!      :facepalm:

Wasn't my conspiracy theory. I was just commenting.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You actually listed an elbow injury.   Kelly got hurt when Mack ran into him.   And there’s nothing posted that says Blackmon knee had anything to do with the turf.  

Why you lumped these in with the foot injuries is a mystery….

We don't know the knee wasn't. It fits for now til we know more. The elbow fine shouldn't be there.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Wentz

Nelson

Kelly

Buckner

Blackmon

Hearing a lot of people on Twitter complaining about the turf. Just seems like there are more injuries then normal and someone new is getting hurt everyday. I get it that's football, but it's becoming a concern when we haven't even played a single game yet.

Aside from Bucker and Nelson, all of them had injury concerns prior to their time with the colts. Wentz's foot injury was said to of been dated back to high school (saw it on a tweet found in a training camp thread. Not gonna search for it.) Irsay has done research into the turf multiple times and has found it not to be the problem. He could be wrong. He could be right. Every team has injury concerns. We just have s**t luck with it being top players.

Okay a few things:  the turf the Colts have at TC is at their indoor facility that they haven’t been on yet.  So the fact the that it’s the same kind of turf as they have at the stadium or their facility is irrelevant in regards to these injuries.  

They have been practicing on grass for training camp.  Now let’s just say for sake of argument that the grass is causing the injuries.  If that’s the case this is a temporary thing because it won’t be an issue after they break camp.  There probably isn’t much the Colts can do about it right now other than maybe move their practices to the indoor sight which I am sure they would do if they felt the grass was the problem.  I am sure if they do feel the grass is the problem they will work with the park to do something about it before camp starts next year.  

Lastly, I am not sure what to make of Smith being a boot.  The Colts say it’s a rest day but then why be in a boot?  It could be something minor that they are being cautious about because it’s camp and they can but then why not just say that like they did with Buckner?  So I don’t know.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Okay a few things:  the turf the Colts have at TC is at their indoor facility that they haven’t been on yet.  So the fact the that it’s the same kind of turf as they have at the stadium or their facility is irrelevant in regards to these injuries.  

They have been practicing on grass for training camp.  Now let’s just say for sake of argument that the grass is causing the injuries.  If that’s the case this is a temporary thing because it won’t be an issue after they break camp.  There probably isn’t much the Colts can do about it right now other than maybe move their practices to the indoor sight which I am sure they would do if they felt the grass was the problem.  I am sure if they do feel the grass is the problem they will work with the park to do something about it before camp starts next year.  

Lastly, I am not sure what to make of Smith being a boot.  The Colts say it’s a rest day but then why be in a boot?  It could be something minor that they are being cautious about because it’s camp and they can but then why not just say that like they did with Buckner?  So I don’t know.

Im pretty sure they are playing on turf at Grand Park.

Archived