Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 - 2022 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

Figured since the draft has ended and we're nearing free agency, may as well start a new thread for a new season!

Pacers ended up with two players in the first round of the draft: Oregon SG Chris Duarte and Kentucky PF Isaiah Jackson.

At the age of 24, Pacers hope that that Duarte brings an immediate impact for a team that thinks they're in a "win-now" mode. Jackson is more of a development project, but I could see him being a key piece in the front court in a couple of years.

I am a fan of Rick Carlisle, and I've been impressed with the assistant coaching hires he's made so far.

Looking forward to the season!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Kentucky fan and I'm thrilled to see a Kentucky player on the Pacers. Last one was Ron Mercer I believe? That was a long time ago. I think Jackson is going to be a very good player too. He is Nerlens Noel like IMO. Probably Turners eventual replacement I would assume.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, MTC said:

Figured since the draft has ended and we're nearing free agency, may as well start a new thread for a new season!

Pacers ended up with two players in the first round of the draft: Oregon SG Chris Duarte and Kentucky PF Isaiah Jackson.

At the age of 24, Pacers hope that that Duarte brings an immediate impact for a team that thinks they're in a "win-now" mode. Jackson is more of a development project, but I could see him being a key piece in the front court in a couple of years.

I am a fan of Rick Carlisle, and I've been impressed with the assistant coaching hires he's made so far.

Looking forward to the season!

Do you have any idea on when schedule will be out?

I wasn't too happy with the Duarte pick at 13.  The Pacers don't get to draft that high very often and I think you try to get someone who can potentially be an all star player.   He'll help the team this year but he is what he is.  

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wasn't too happy with the Duarte pick at 13.  The Pacers don't get to draft that high very often and I think you try to get someone who can potentially be an all star player.   He'll help the team this year but he is what he is.  

That's who I was wanting at #13. Great pick.

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm a Kentucky fan and I'm thrilled to see a Kentucky player on the Pacers. Last one was Ron Mercer I believe? That was a long time ago. I think Jackson is going to be a very good player too. He is Nerlens Noel like IMO. Probably Turners eventual replacement I would assume.

Really like Jackson as well, wish trade was official so he could be on SL team....

Ready for FA to kock off at 6pm tonight.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I was just hoping for a player with more potential.   

Wouldn't be the first time.

More potential? What does that mean? Not 24? They need to be 19 or 20 to have potential? How bout a guy who is ready to play and still has time to improve before prime.

The guy is legit 3 and D and is 6'6".

Multiple teams have tried to acquire him since we drafted him. Should tell you all you need to know.

Only other option there would've been Moody.

17 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy we got him back. You never gotta worry about effort with him, and is just such a good defender

Yeah, that was a solid re-signing. Was worried he might go elsewhere.

Carlisle has came in and put his stamp on the team.

Defense:

Duarte - 3+D - Pac 12 POY, PAC 12 All Defensive team Jerry West Award winner(best SG in NCAA)

Jackson - definitely a presence on the defensive end

McConnell - re-sign - defense defense defense

Craig - 3+D tough in your face guy

Very happy Turner has stayed put so far, hopefully it stays that way. Never made sense for Carlisle to move him.

Roster is filling out nicely:

PG:Brogdon, McConnell, Sumner

SG:Levert, Duarte, Lamb, Stanley, Martin(option)

SF:Warren, Holiday, Craig

PF:Sabonis, Brissett(option)

C:Turner, Goga, Jackson

There is a lot of position flexibility and a team littered with length and defense.

Will be interesting to see what else plays out over the next few days.

13 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Looks like the Lakers will be really good. Doubt they get bumped round 1 again.

Yeah, they've went on a little FA/trade frenzy.

Adds:

Westbrook - trade

Melo - vet minimum

Howard - vet minimum

Ellington - vet minimum

Nunn - MLE(taxpayer)

Bazemore - vet minimum

Ariza - vet minimum

Monk - vet minimum

Retained:

Horton Tucker Re-sign

Losses:

Kuzma

Harrell

Caldwell Pope 

Morris

Drummond

Caruso

McLemore

McKinnie

Kostas

22nd pick

Remaining options:

Schröder(S+T?)Or just leaves in FA, don't see him staying)

Matthews(probably not returning, LA only has 1 roster spot by my count)

Dudley(could see him being 15th spot)

Waiters(probably gone)

Westbrook, Nunn

Ellington, Monk, Bazemore

James, Horton Tucker, Ariza, 

Davis, Melo

Howard, Gasol

Kind of a weird roster set up. 

Not to sure how much of a step forward they took.

Westbrook is a weird fit, IMO.

Don't seem to have enough size.

17 hours ago, w87r said:

Adds:

Westbrook - trade

Melo - vet minimum

Howard - vet minimum

Ellington - vet minimum

Nunn - MLE(taxpayer)

Bazemore - vet minimum

Ariza - vet minimum

Monk - vet minimum

Retained:

Horton Tucker Re-sign

Losses:

Kuzma

Harrell

Caldwell Pope 

Morris

Drummond

Caruso

McLemore

McKinnie

Kostas

22nd pick

Remaining options:

Waiters(probably gone)

Westbrook, Nunn

Davis, Melo

Howard, Gasol

The signed/traded for all those guys as they wanted wanted an extra discount on the early bird special, haha

19 hours ago, w87r said:

Adds:

Westbrook - trade

Melo - vet minimum

Howard - vet minimum

Ellington - vet minimum

Nunn - MLE(taxpayer)

Bazemore - vet minimum

Ariza - vet minimum

Monk - vet minimum

Retained:

Horton Tucker Re-sign

Losses:

Kuzma

Harrell

Caldwell Pope 

Morris

Drummond

Caruso

McLemore

McKinnie

Kostas

22nd pick

Remaining options:

Waiters(probably gone)

Westbrook, Nunn

Davis, Melo

Howard, Gasol

Hope this is a failure.   

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/2021-nba-free-agency-live-updates-news-analysis-trades/Sv5IIlL9fSee

Hearing the most likely outcome is that the Spencer Dinwiddie sign-and-trade becomes part of the Russell Westbrook trade. That would make it, at minimum, a four-team deal (Nets, Lakers, Wizards, Pacers) that includes a sign-and-trade, base-year compensation and the luxury-tax apron, and there may very well be a fifth team involved to drop off unwanted salary. Fasten your seat belts, cap guys; it's about to get crazy out there.

This has me a little intrigued and maybe a little anxious.

I worry what other pieces, we might be involved with if any?

Currently 3 team deal:

Current WAS/IND portion:

Holiday and the 31st pick for Isaiah Jackson(#22)

Current LAL/ WAS portion:

Westbrook for Kuzma, KCP, Harrell,(#22, which connects us)

With Dinwiddie entering the deal it could change things big time for us, or not at all.

Could have 1 of those LA players routed here,maybe some other WAS player, maybe Lamb going out, someone else? Hopefully nothing to much bigger than him though.

Edit:

Looks like nothing to see here.

I like our part in the trade, Holiday and **(2) late 2nds this year and (2) future 2nds into Jackson at #22

**(4) picks turned into #31

Really like Jackson's potential. Solid offseason for the team, hopefully a few more smaller moves to round out the roster.

If not, I think this team can compete with current makeup and the coaching improvements in Carlisle.

Edit:

Side Bar:

Washington got a whole team for Westbrook, Hutchinson and #22

• 2 months later...

Pacers are a .500 team right now, not much else to report there. My picks for the Finals will be the Nets vs Lakers, LeBron will try and get his 5th ring before he retires to match Magic and Kobe who won 5. Nets are loaded and IMO Durant is the best player in basketball. I love Giannis though and he is right there and he got his ring without Superstars joining him. Bucks are the only team that can beat a fully healthy Nets team in the East.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@2006Coltsbestever, @PuntersArePeopleToo, @Barry Sears 

@w87r

What are your thoughts for the season? I see that it starts next week but there is not much talk here. 

While I do watch the Pacers, I normally dont follow to closely in preseason, but this year should hopefully have the Pacers doing more on Defensse again with the return of Carlisle, and it will be interesting to see with the bigs too on what they can do. I would also say, to see how badly the Nets Implode this year and if the Lakers are just a retirement home. PHX to see if they will still be competing like last year or if that was a year off thing

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pacers are a .500 team right now, not much else to report there. My picks for the Finals will be the Nets vs Lakers, LeBron will try and get his 5th ring before he retires to match Magic and Kobe who won 5. Nets are loaded and IMO Durant is the best player in basketball. I love Giannis though and he is right there and he got his ring without Superstars joining him. Bucks are the only team that can beat a fully healthy Nets team in the East.

I say Nets will unlikely to be healthy, Kyrie cant play or practice, and I think that will lead to distraction. The question is can Durant and Harden work just them two together without issue, and then the old bench players

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I say Nets will unlikely to be healthy, Kyrie cant play or practice, and I think that will lead to distraction. The question is can Durant and Harden work just them two together without issue, and then the old bench players

Does Kyrie still get paid? 

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Even if Kyrie doesn't play, Durant and Harden are too much. They had the Bucks beat last year with an injured Harden playing and no Kyrie. If Durant only had a shoe that was an half inch shorter haha . Durant is so special of a player I am have him officially in my top 16 ever - he is that great. I call it my Sweet 16:

16. Kevin Durant

15. Karl Malone

14. Moses Malone

13. Jerry West

12. Hakeem Olajuwon

11. Tim Duncan

10. Oscar Robertson

9. Bill Russell

8. Shaq O'Neal

7. Larry Bird

6. Wilt Chamberlain

5. Kobe Bryant

4. LeBron James

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

2. Magic

1. Michael Jordan

45 years of watching and studying the whole game from Stats, Accomplishments, Talent, Eye test, Leadership - making players around them better, Killer mentality, Clutchness, etc..

46 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

No, at least on home games, not sure on away games

I got Vax'd because of mom but to tell someone that doesn't want too is flat out wrong to stop them from their profession, it is his choice, this is the USA not Russia lmao . It wouldn't bother me one bit to play with someone that isn't Vax'd. If I had Girl friend that was against getting Vax'd I would be fine with it and we are kissing, etc.. I haven't been sick since this whole thing was announced, I got Vax'd, so if I get sick can I complain??- this whole thing has me  Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I got Vax'd because of mom but to tell someone that doesn't want too is flat out wrong to stop them from their profession, it is his choice, this is the USA not Russia

Sorry, but a private business can make their rules to work there. If my job tells me that I have to wear a suit to work and not casual clothes, I have to wear a suit. I cannot tell my job that I don't like suits and won't wear them. If my job says I am not allowed to eat at my desk, then I cannot eat at my desk. My boss tells us we are not to wear perfume or cologne; we are required to follow it (she is allergic). It is no different than asking all employees to get vaccinated.

He has a choice. Go play where he is not required to get vaccinated. 

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sorry, but a private business can make their rules to work there. If my job tells me that I have to wear a suit to work and not casual clothes, I have to wear a suit. I cannot tell my job that I don't like suits and won't wear them. If my job says I am not allowed to eat at my desk, then I cannot eat at my desk. My boss tells us we are not to wear perfume or cologne; we are required to follow it (she is allergic). It is no different than asking all employees to get vaccinated.

He has a choice. Go play where he is not required to get vaccinated. 

That is different, you are getting a shot that you are not sure of what you are getting - you are trusting the government and doctors at that point, they are not always right. If someone tells me not to wear shorts to work I would have 0 problem with that and nobody would, that isn't going affect my health. If someone tells me not to eat a BigMac at my desk no biggy. Your analogy is bad, sorry we disagree on this one.

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is different, you are getting a shot that you are not sure of what you are getting - you are trusting the government and doctors at that point, they are not always right. If someone tells me not to wear shorts to work I would have 0 problem with that and nobody would, that isn't going affect my health. If someone tells me not to eat a BigMac at my desk no biggy. Your analogy is bad, sorry we disagree on this one.

I will follow this up by saying if Kyrie is against getting the shot he has the last laugh. The dude has 100 Million dollars and a ring and is arguably a top 100 player of all-time. He could care less, nor would I if I was in his shoes. That is the NBA loss not his, he is a top 15 player today. The NBA is way too political and that is one reason their rating's stunk last year. I didn't even watch much at all and I used to watch almost every game I could.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is not different. A job can make rules that employees have to follow. The employees have the option to quit and find work elsewhere. No one is holding a gun to his head that he has to be vaccinated. His employer is saying he has to be vaccinated to work for them. He has the option not to play for them, which is what he has chosen to do.

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is not different. A job can make rules that employees have to follow. The employees have the option to quit and find work elsewhere. No one is holding a gun to his head that he has to be vaccinated. His employer is saying he has to be vaccinated to work for them. He has the option not to play for them, which is what he has chosen to do.

That is his lively hood, he could sue by law. That is like saying someone can't eat unless they are Vax'd. I am Vax'd but if my employer forced me to do it (and I didn't want to) and I haven't signed anything saying I would they would get a huge lawsuit coming.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is his lively hood, he could sue by law. That is like saying someone can't eat unless they are Vax'd. I am Vax'd but if my employer forced me to do it (and I didn't want to) and I haven't signed anything saying I would they would get a huge lawsuit coming.

I doubt the league can fire him over this but they could still force the issue in other ways.  They can say hes not allowed in stadiums, planes, locker rooms etc.  There are some large venues around the country that have their own rules about that anyway 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:44 AM, NFLfan said:

@2006Coltsbestever, @PuntersArePeopleToo, @Barry Sears 

@w87r

What are your thoughts for the season? I see that it starts next week but there is not much talk here. 

I'm intrigued by the Pacers with the hiring of Carlisle.  Been a Pacers fan all my life and I think they have a good roster.  Should make the playoffs since there's only 2 or 3 really good teams in the East.  If we get our guys healthy to add to the current roster, we can win a lot of games.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, BlackTiger said:

I doubt the league can fire him over this but they could still force the issue in other ways.  They can say hes not allowed in stadiums, planes, locker rooms etc.  There are some large venues around the country that have their own rules about that anyway 

I got vaccinated because I wouldn't be able to go to Maui for my daughters wedding.    Pretty selfish of a player making millions of dollars not getting vaccinated and causing his team troubles.  

Archived