Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man after going through years of misery as a Cubs fan since 1984, I don't want our glory years to end being 2015-2020 seasons. We have been very good to great for the last 6 seasons - 3 Division Titles, 3 NLCS apps, and a 2016 WS Title. Going through another re-build will suck. Outside of 1984, 1989, 2003, and 2008 we haven't had much glory. I did love 1987 eventhough the team was bad - Dawson's HR's kept me watching all year haha . After being spoiled for 6 straight seasons this is going to be so depressing to see if we break this team up. I am just not sure what is going on right now with us?? Bryant, Javy, and Contreras are all still young. Rizzo is still in his prime and we just aren't winning! Jake looks washed but Hendricks is still a young'un and Kimbrel is awesome. Makes no sense.

I am more hoping we can do what Yankees did in 2016, reset stock up some and get back to it. And hope that guys return back, and some of our Starting Pitchers in the Minor take that step to be in Bigs. Then we can go out and spend on the offense guys we want to keep

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not realize that the Mets were playing the Yankees this weekend. Lol. I used to get so excited for subway series. I used to put it in my schedule. One day, it was my birthday and the game was sold out  I took the subway and bought a ticket from someone who had an extra ticket. It was $25. That was a long time ago. Nowadays, it is not as exciting. 

Mets won today.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I did not realize that the Mets were playing the Yankees this weekend. Lol. I used to get so excited for subway series. I used to put it in my schedule. One day, it was my birthday and the game was sold out  I took the subway and bought a ticket from someone who had an extra ticket. It was $25. That was a long time ago. Nowadays, it is not as exciting. 

Mets won today.

Mets are in 1st place in the NL East, Cubs are stinking up the joint as they just lost their 8th in a row. As of now out of the main posters in here you have all bragging rights. Cubs and Cards both look done this year. You should go see your Mets play the Yankees, eat you a Chili Dog and have a beer :thmup:

The Cubs are absolutely wasting a great year by Kris Bryant but hey the Angels have wasted away the whole career of Mike Trout :funny:. If Mike Trout doesn't get out of the cess pool of a team he's been on, he will end up like Dan Marino = the best that never won jack poop.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mets are in 1st place in the NL East, Cubs are stinking up the joint as they just lost their 8th in a row. As of now out of the main posters in here you have all bragging rights. Cubs and Cards both look done this year. You should go see your Mets play the Yankees, eat you a Chili Dog and have a beer :thmup:

The Cubs are absolutely wasting a great year by Kris Bryant but hey the Angels have wasted away the whole career of Mike Trout :funny:. If Mike Trout doesn't get out of the cess pool of a team he's been on, he will end up like Dan Marino = the best that never won jack poop.

Its such a surprise. Like they got ohtani, paid for pujols, paid for Rendon, like they try to do well but crash

2 straight series sweeps, nine losses in a row. Haven't won since the no hitter. The Cubsm are looking like trash, outside of giving Arrieta a 7 run lead, the bats have been dead and forced Pitching to cover. Cubs get Phillies this week. Davies and Moore tomorrow. Then Arrieta vs Nola, that is chalked as a loss. That could be his final start

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

2 straight series sweeps, nine losses in a row. Haven't won since the no hitter. The Cubsm are looking like trash, outside of giving Arrieta a 7 run lead, the bats have been dead and forced Pitching to cover. Cubs get Phillies this week. Davies and Moore tomorrow. Then Arrieta vs Nola, that is chalked as a loss. That could be his final start

Not looking good. This is the worst I have seen them look in years, going all the way back to 2014. It is getting to the point where I am looking more and more forward to football. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not looking good. This is the worst I have seen them look in years, going all the way back to 2014. It is getting to the point where I am looking more and more forward to football. 

Gotta go back to before asg that year. By second half they started to show something. Its time to reset 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the Cubbies will bounce back. They’re a lot like the Reds in being streaky. Win a bunch, then lose a bunch. 

Looking at the playoff standings at the moment, it’s going to be hard for either one of our teams to catch up to the Padres for the final spot. Giants, Dodgers, and Padres most likely all make it, which means someone needs to knock off the Brewers. 

On 7/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On 7/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Gotta go back to before asg that year. By second half they started to show something. Its time to reset 

Unacceptable baseball being played right now by the Cubs, sickening.

image.jpeg.65580085cdc14121946654d9ee47097a.jpeg

4 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Unacceptable baseball being played right now by the Cubs, sickening.

image.jpeg.65580085cdc14121946654d9ee47097a.jpeg

It just seems like we have no luck anymore. Like anything is going against us. After the deadline, we gotta get young guys up and playing see what they are like, and give them a chance to taste big leagues. The Cubs last had a losing streak this long in 2012, before KB was drafted

Something stinks in WrigleyVille?? There is no way in hell a team with the players we have should ever lose 10 straight games. I am not buying 1 excuse! Losing 5 in a row is even eye popping with the players we have. I think Ross is the problem and I love Ross as a person and as a player but you lose 10 straight with a talented team, you are not doing your job. This is flat out embarrassing, we are on the Pirates and D-Backs level right now. UNACCEPTABLE! 

You have a bullpen like we do and have players like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras, and even Wisdom who has been good, then lose 10 in a row, that is borderline ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Something stinks in WrigleyVille?? There is no way in hell a team with the players we have should ever lose 10 straight games. I am not buying 1 excuse! Losing 5 in a row is even eye popping with the players we have. I think Ross is the problem and I love Ross as a person and as a player but you lose 10 straight with a talented team, you are not doing your job. This is flat out embarrassing, we are on the Pirates and D-Backs level right now. UNACCEPTABLE! 

You have a bullpen like we do and have players like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras, and even Wisdom who has been good, then lose 10 in a row, that is borderline ridiculous. 

I feel the Cubs are still in the same boat they were in with Madden, to layed back/relaxed/no accountability. I saw a glimmer of hope when Ross pulled Baez for not knowing how many outs there were the one game….but it’s not good. Buddy to boss is hard to accomplish. Hoping they find some fore to finish the season out and make it watchable at least.

Just now, HOZER said:

I feel the Cubs are still in the same boat they were in with Madden, to layed back/relaxed/no accountability. I saw a glimmer of hope when Ross pulled Baez for not knowing how many outs there were the one game….but it’s not good. Buddy to boss is hard to accomplish. Hoping they find some fore to finish the season out and make it watchable at least.

And here’s an idea, put the ball into play and stop trying to crank a home run every at bat, gets so old to watch them swing for the fences all the time. Fundamental baseball.

Been away for a few days...Cardinals have managed to go 6-4 in their last 10, but should have been better with the schedule they had.  Cubs losing 10 straight is surprising.  @HOZER, better check that flag to see if the moths have taken over...j/k.

Brewers keep winning and the Reds are keeping pace.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the Cubs and Cardinals at the trade deadline.  I doubt the Cardinals will do anything, since their biggest problem is injuries.  They don't have the prospects to trade to upgrade the pitching staff, and some bad contracts on the roster that other teams won't want to take on.

My biggest fear is that they finish fourth in the division and Arenado decides to opt out of his contract and go elsewhere next season.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Been away for a few days...Cardinals have managed to go 6-4 in their last 10, but should have been better with the schedule they had.  Cubs losing 10 straight is surprising.  @HOZER, better check that flag to see if the moths have taken over...j/k.

Brewers keep winning and the Reds are keeping pace.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the Cubs and Cardinals at the trade deadline.  I doubt the Cardinals will do anything, since their biggest problem is injuries.  They don't have the prospects to trade to upgrade the pitching staff, and some bad contracts on the roster that other teams won't want to take on.

My biggest fear is that they finish fourth in the division and Arenado decides to opt out of his contract and go elsewhere next season.

I think it is over for the Cardinals.   I hope they are not buyers at the deadline.   It'd be nice to get Arenado an extension.   With the pitching injuries, I expected the Cards to fall so it is no surprise.  

Cubs fans must be surprised.   After finishing 9-6 in a tough schedule (SD, StL, New York, Miami, Indians, Dodgers) they go 0-10.   I'm very close to calling it for the Cubs as well.  Not yet though.   Their next 16 games are against the Phillies, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Diamondbacks.   They should go 10-6 in those games.  They also get the Reds 10 more games and the Brewers 7 more games.  

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Bullpen is taxed. short starts after short starts. Wisdom, is for the season striking out almost 50% of the time. Willy is taxed, as a catcher you need days off, at least off feet, but he can't since we are on our 6th Back up catcher! KB horrid June, looks to be turning. Rizzo is Rizzo, Javy was being way to passive for him, but hopefully is starting to look better. 

You also cant blame Ross for the fact that Sogard and Arrieta havent gotten DFA. Arrieta pitching is a loss, no competitive game.  Already down 4-0 because he completely washed. Like seriously, if you are Ross you can only play people on 26 man roster. He doesn't want to use Kimbrel until 9th, which makes sense. Chafin, still pitches and getting Holds. the rest of the bullpen has had some really bad games, but those dont matter as offense isnt hitting. The only time we had a good offense performance, Arrieta couldn't even get out of second inning. There is just nothing Ross can do, as this has been an issue for 4 years. After the deadline, it is young guys time. Cut Arrieta, Cut Sogard, Cut Morgan. Figure out what we have in those other guys

To put in to perspective how bad Jake Arrieta has been in his last two starts I am going to put some stats out.

Jake: 2 Games pitched, 3.1 IP, 10 Hits, 6 BB, 6 Ks. 10 ER. 29.03 ERA

Player B: 2 Games pitched, 2.0 IP, 4 Hits, 0 BB, 1 K, 3 ER. 13.50 ERA. 

Player B is Eric Sogard, Both start on June 30th. When the IF is pitching better than you are, it is time to retire

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

To put in to perspective how bad Jake Arrieta has been in his last two starts I am going to put some stats out.

Jake: 2 Games pitched, 3.1 IP, 10 Hits, 6 BB, 6 Ks. 10 ER. 29.03 ERA

Player B: 2 Games pitched, 2.0 IP, 4 Hits, 0 BB, 1 K, 3 ER. 13.50 ERA. 

Player B is Eric Sogard, Both start on June 30th. When the IF is pitching better than you are, it is time to retire

It's just not Jake, the whole team is playing badly with the exception of Bryant who even struggled in June, Hendricks, Chafin, and Kimbrel. My above rant is why?? Why is Baez and Rizzo playing badly, there is just no excuse. Jake is washed up I get it but he is only 1 player and not even in his prime. We are about to lose our 11th in a row and Jake is responsible for only 2 of those losses. What about the other 9?

Pointing at stats:

Baez is batting only .232 for the season, Rizzo .246 = poor! Baez has 20 HR's and has 1 tonight but he strikes out half the time. He has a lot of what I call junk HR's, nobody on base and when we are way down in games we are going to lose anyway.

Ouch. The Cubbies just can’t get out of this free fall… They need the All-Star break bad to reset. 

Reds are doing fantastic at the moment, but I think it’s all in vain. The Dodgers, Giants and Padres are all on pace to make it to the post season, so unless one of them craters (unlikely) the only chance is for one of our teams to catch the Brewers (also looking unlikely). 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Ouch. The Cubbies just can’t get out of this free fall… They need the All-Star break bad to reset. 

Reds are doing fantastic at the moment, but I think it’s all in vain. The Dodgers, Giants and Padres are all on pace to make it to the post season, so unless one of them craters (unlikely) the only chance is for one of our teams to catch the Brewers (also looking unlikely). 

I think only 1 team gets in from our division - the winner of it obviously. The Dodgers, Giants, and Padres are a 3-headed monster. I would love to see the Reds win the division if the Cubs are out of it, I can't stand the Brewers.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think only 1 team gets in from our division - the winner of it obviously. The Dodgers, Giants, and Padres are a 3-headed monster. I would love to see the Reds win the division if the Cubs are out of it, I can't stand the Brewers.

I wouldn’t be mad to see a miracle rebound by the Cubs if it means the Brewers lose lol. 

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's just not Jake, the whole team is playing badly with the exception of Bryant who even struggled in June, Hendricks, Chafin, and Kimbrel. My above rant is why?? Why is Baez and Rizzo playing badly, there is just no excuse. Jake is washed up I get it but he is only 1 player and not even in his prime. We are about to lose our 11th in a row and Jake is responsible for only 2 of those losses. What about the other 9?

Pointing at stats:

Baez is batting only .232 for the season, Rizzo .246 = poor! Baez has 20 HR's and has 1 tonight but he strikes out half the time. He has a lot of what I call junk HR's, nobody on base and when we are way down in games we are going to lose anyway.

Looking at Batting Average isn't the best to use. Mainly the leagues average is 240 so Rizzo is above and Baez just below. While yes baez has been bad the last two nights look like he is turning a corner and is gaining his tracking back. 3 HRs in 2 nights. Davies has been Davies the last month anda half 2.96 I believe Era. Winkler bad game but is 9th in era. Keegan been pitching well for a Rookie. And this offense has been this way for years. But when they do explode, both arrieta starts, the starter didn't give them a shot. Tepera hopefully comes back healthy. Nico should be getting more starts. Wisdom will need to go down to see if he can figure out his strikeout issue. 

Also with Rizzo he goes hot and cold it's his history. He also has had the back issue more recently popping up again. Baez had some injury issues the early part of the season

21 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Looking at Batting Average isn't the best to use. Mainly the leagues average is 240 so Rizzo is above and Baez just below. While yes baez has been bad the last two nights look like he is turning a corner and is gaining his tracking back. 3 HRs in 2 nights. Davies has been Davies the last month anda half 2.96 I believe Era. Winkler bad game but is 9th in era. Keegan been pitching well for a Rookie. And this offense has been this way for years. But when they do explode, both arrieta starts, the starter didn't give them a shot. Tepera hopefully comes back healthy. Nico should be getting more starts. Wisdom will need to go down to see if he can figure out his strikeout issue. 

Also with Rizzo he goes hot and cold it's his history. He also has had the back issue more recently popping up again. Baez had some injury issues the early part of the season

I am usually Mr Positive and always bragging about the Cubs, having confidence in them but the whole team with exceptions I named look pretty bad. Anytime you lose 11 in a row then something stinks overall. Your .240 stat may be average for the whole league but that is because you have a lot of players that stink in the league (it brings the average down). Baez and Rizzo both are considered all-star caliber players, they should be at least around .270-.275. Bryant is even at .270 and had a bad June. I just don't look at average, look at how many times Baez and Rizzo leave men on base in scoring position that could swing a game, it has been a bunch. Just not those 2, Contreras does it a lot as well. Contreras is only batting .235. An all-star caliber player should bat at least .270 and drive in key runs to help a team win.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am usually Mr Positive and always bragging about the Cubs, having confidence in them but the whole team with exceptions I named look pretty bad. Anytime you lose 11 in a row then something stinks overall. Your .240 stat may be average for the whole league but that is because you have a lot of players that stink in the league (it brings the average down). Baez and Rizzo both are considered all-star caliber players, they should be at least around .270-.275. Bryant is even at .270 and had a bad June. I just don't look at average, look at how many times Baez and Rizzo leave men on base in scoring position that could swing a game, it has been a bunch. Just not those 2, Contreras does it a lot as well. Contreras is only batting .235. An all-star caliber player should bat at least .270 and drive in key runs to help a team win.

Back a decade or 2 ago id agree on the 270 now there are exactly 50 players who are hitting at or above that number. The lowest Jackie Bradley Jr is hit 172 for the first place brewers. 

The better thing to use is WRC which evens out for league and park factors 100 is average. WAR is another piece that explains 0 is replacement 1 is good, 2-3 above, 3-4 all star, 5+ great 

Rizzo is currently 114 WRC+ which means his offense is above average. His WAR is. 7. Baez has a 103 with a 1.8 WAR which is both good, and as I said last two days he's looked lot better. 

Willy is 114 and 1.7. These are to put in context how they are playing. Willy BABIP is lower than his career which also shows some bad luck.

As I said 270, is not a reasonable thing in current environment to be only those with all star. Cuz a guy can hit 270 with just a ton of singles and a guy can hit 230 with a ton of HRs. The guy hitting 230 can still be worth more than 270 since 230 is getting in runs

14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Back a decade or 2 ago id agree on the 270 now there are exactly 50 players who are hitting at or above that number. The lowest Jackie Bradley Jr is hit 172 for the first place brewers. 

The better thing to use is WRC which evens out for league and park factors 100 is average. WAR is another piece that explains 0 is replacement 1 is good, 2-3 above, 3-4 all star, 5+ great 

Rizzo is currently 114 WRC+ which means his offense is above average. His WAR is. 7. Baez has a 103 with a 1.8 WAR which is both good, and as I said last two days he's looked lot better. 

Willy is 114 and 1.7. These are to put in context how they are playing. Willy BABIP is lower than his career which also shows some bad luck.

As I said 270, is not a reasonable thing in current environment to be only those with all star. Cuz a guy can hit 270 with just a ton of singles and a guy can hit 230 with a ton of HRs. The guy hitting 230 can still be worth more than 270 since 230 is getting in runs

I knew you were going to bring up the HR to single thing. I almost put that in my above post. Yeah if someone bats .240 and is top 5 HR's I get that point but Rizzo and Contreras are not near Top 5 in HR's. Baez is 6th but tied with 4 others at #6. If you have men on 2nd on 3rd I would take a single everytime, that is much easier to get than hitting a HR and would at least drive in 1 run if not 2. Do we agree on that? A HR rarely happens for most players unless they are just having an MVP type of season. Also, question to you, you are really ok with Baez, Rizzo, and Contreras batting around .240? I mean really.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew you were going to bring up the HR to single thing. I almost put that in my above post. Yeah if someone bats .240 and is top 5 HR's I get that point but Rizzo and Contreras are not near Top 5 in HR's. Baez is 6th but tied with 4 others at #6. If you have men on 2nd on 3rd I would take a single everytime, that is much easier to get than hitting a HR and would at least drive in 1 run if not 2. Do we agree on that? A HR rarely happens for most players unless they are just having an MVP type of season. Also, question to you, you are really ok with Baez, Rizzo, and Contreras batting around .240? I mean really.

I mean I'd take the single but thats just not their game and hasn't been even in 2016. And 240 id take Javy and Willy that way. Both provide the defense to offset and HR power. Rizzo yes I want him to hit that 265-270 range like he's done in past. But I also take in to account aging, and injury, so more for him its the Ks that would be my issue. Willy and Baez I expect the Ks, Rizzo not so much. 

I mean there is certainly a generational gap between me and the rest of the posters here. This is the league I've known big K numbers, low AVG, lots of HR. And its also why I take in to account the analytics and different non-counting stats to better explain and compare 

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I mean I'd take the single but thats just not their game and hasn't been even in 2016. And 240 id take Javy and Willy that way. Both provide the defense to offset and HR power. Rizzo yes I want him to hit that 265-270 range like he's done in past. But I also take in to account aging, and injury, so more for him its the Ks that would be my issue. Willy and Baez I expect the Ks, Rizzo not so much. 

I mean there is certainly a generational gap between me and the rest of the posters here. This is the league I've known big K numbers, low AVG, lots of HR. And its also why I take in to account the analytics and different non-counting stats to better explain and compare 

See my above post about OBP because that definitely is a younger generation thing and I agree have always agree'd with that stat anyway eventhough I am old fart haha 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

OBP is a key stat that a lot of analytics people love to use. Baez 129th and Rizzo is 57th, not good. That means just getting on base as you know. Bryant is 45th which is decent. If you can't get on base than you aren't helping the team. 129th is bad for Baez.

In Javy MVP caliber year, he was 85th in OBP. .326 was his OBP. He is one where it sucks badly, but you also don't expect him to do it well.  He makes up for it with Slugging. Rizzo I will give you his OBP isn't the best thud year but 57th is still not the worst

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See my above post about OBP because that definitely is a younger generation thing and I agree have always agree'd with that stat anyway eventhough I am old fart haha 

It very much is. I have been hearing about it most of my watching. And with 2015 starting my lot if watching games and reading articles that is when even more came from. So my basis is more comparing in the environment then just counting stats.

And I mean its true they are playing like crap, but certain players are much worse than the others have been. Some guys look bad by counting, but good by analysis league wide. Sogard sucks, and Arrieta is the worst starting pitcher by WAR and 5th be era for those who qualify.  Morgan has cost two games out of pen. 

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think the Reds have a shot at catching one of the West teams.   Just because they will be beating up each other for the rest of the season.

SD has 9 against the Dodgers and 10 against the Giants

SF has 10 against the Padres and 10 against the Dodgers

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the Reds have a shot at catching one of the West teams.   Just because they will be beating up each other for the rest of the season.

SD has 9 against the Dodgers and 10 against the Giants

SF has 10 against the Padres and 10 against the Dodgers

I sure hope so, but they need to take care of business as well, and sometimes they drop games to lesser teams like last night. 

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I sure hope so, but they need to take care of business as well, and sometimes they drop games to lesser teams like last night. 

I would love to see the Reds win the division. It has been a long time since they have won the division. Right? 

The Giants are doing very well. The Phillies fans could not wait to get rid of Gabe Kapler. He seems to have landed in a better situation with the Giants who currently lead the NL in win-loss record. 

The Reds had a 6-3 lead going to the 9th against the Royals and lost!! Lets just give it to the Brewers this season, the other teams are having crappy luck and the Brewers have had the baseball Gods on their side all year. 

I would be fine with the Reds winning the division, we had a great run from 2015-2020 so I am not going to complain about 1 bad year if our stinkness continues in 2021 lmao . I think it is the hated Brewers division to lose as of now though. Things have to change dramatically for the Cubs, Cards, and even Reds for that to change.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Reds had a 6-3 lead going to the 9th against the Royals and lost!! Lets just give it to the Brewers this season, the other teams are having crappy luck and the Brewers have had the baseball Gods on their side all year. 

I would be fine with the Reds winning the division, we had a great run from 2015-2020 so I am not going to complain about 1 bad year if our stinkness continues in 2021 lmao . I think it is the hated Brewers division to lose as of now though. Things have to change dramatically for the Cubs, Cards, and even Reds for that to change.

The Mets beat the Brewers on Monday but the game yesterday was rained out. A split doubleheader is scheduled for today -- one at 1PM ET and another at 7PM ET.

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I should have stated that the Reds have a shot but it is a long shot.  

The Cardinals are ahead of the Cubs at the moment.   Amazing with how bad the Cardinals have been.  

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I should have stated that the Reds have a shot but it is a long shot.  

The Cardinals are ahead of the Cubs at the moment.   Amazing with how bad the Cardinals have been.  

Indeed a very long shot, but at least they’re keeping it interesting! 

Archived