Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I hate this crew, it's been bad all weekend. I listened to radio broadcast with game on TV, wanted to avoid buck and smoltz stupidity. Ron was commenting about how the zone was incredibly bad and cost wisdom at least 1 strikeout and KB multiple times. MLB just needs to cancel the contract with MLBUA as its not worth having them. We got screwed, and likely win that game as kimbrel wouldve been pitching. Umps are like the worst I have ever seen this year 

Yep, we would've been up 3-2 going to the 9th and Kimbrel would've been in, was thinking the same thing. We got screwed big time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, we would've been up 3-2 going to the 9th and Kimbrel would've been in, was thinking the same thing. We got screwed big time.

Yep, MLB needs to overhaul the umps. It ridiculous how bad they are this year. And that they don't actually say what they are reviewing or actual call is

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Yep, MLB needs to overhaul the umps. It ridiculous how bad they are this year. And that they don't actually say what they are reviewing or actual call is

I still maintain and say out of the 3 big sports = basketball, football, and baseball that baseball has the best officiating but that isn't saying much. It is much tougher for officiating/Umps to dictate a game compared to the other 2 sports. Having said that they still can, last night Heyward's at bat was ruled a HR initially and he even rounded the bases and the score showed 3-2 Cubs. Then the Ump changed his mind without no replay or challenge what so ever. At that point when the Cubs challenged it was too close to overturn. It is calls like that, that hurt the integrity of the game. Once you make a call you should leave it be, then if a team wants to challenge it that is fair. That wasn't the case last night and it cost the Cubs game in 99% probability considering Kimbrel hasn't blown save all year. I was watching ESPN and the MLB channel after the game for the highlights and neither network showed that at bat by Heyward or even brought it up. I guess LA is such a huge market and they kiss LA's rear so much they thought it wasn't necessary but we no better.

To the credit of the networks of Fox and ESPN the Cubs are on a lot. They are a popular team and have been arguably a top 5 team in baseball from the 2015 season up to now. Having said that every week the Cubs are on these networks, it is always about the other team. Already has started tonight and we are only in the 2nd inning. The way the announcers are butt kissing Kershaw and the Dodgers makes me want to mute the crap. Fox did it last night with the Dodgers as well. When we played the Cards a while back, both networks were butt kissing the Cards all game too. Arenado this and that and when Molina HR'd I thought Buck was going to go through the roof with happiness. What was hilarious about that series is all the announcers talked about was the Cubs should break up their team lmao . It may be the other way around in reality and it is the Cards that maybe should. We get no respect on the national level and that is cool, even on the MLB network guys were talking about how hot the Brewers are, well news flash - they should be playing against crap teams. 

This game is over already, McKinstry just hit a Grand Slam. 4-0 Dodgers lead. Alzolay has no control at all tonight. So going into Milwaukee we will be 3 games back since they beat up on the putrid Rockies.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still maintain and say out of the 3 big sports = basketball, football, and baseball that baseball has the best officiating but that isn't saying much. It is much tougher for officiating/Umps to dictate a game compared to the other 2 sports. Having said that they still can, last night Heyward's at bat was ruled a HR initially and he even rounded the bases and the score showed 3-2 Cubs. Then the Ump changed his mind without no replay or challenge what so ever. At that point when the Cubs challenged it was too close to overturn. It is calls like that, that hurt the integrity of the game. Once you make a call you should leave it be, then if a team wants to challenge it that is fair. That wasn't the case last night and it cost the Cubs game in 99% probability considering Kimbrel hasn't blown save all year. I was watching ESPN and the MLB channel after the game for the highlights and neither network showed that at bat by Heyward or even brought it up. I guess LA is such a huge market and they kiss LA's rear so much they thought it wasn't necessary but we no better.

This year I would say MLB umps have been the worst in sports overall. NBA you know what you are getting. NFL has had a little better, but MLB umps have been crap all around and from Strikes and Balls, to consistency, to replay review and it is just so ridiculous as other sports you at least are told what they reviewed and what the call is. MLB they dont tell you anything 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the credit of the networks of Fox and ESPN the Cubs are on a lot. They are a popular team and have been arguably a top 5 team in baseball from the 2015 season up to now. Having said that every week the Cubs are on these networks, it is always about the other team. Already has started tonight and we are only in the 2nd inning. The way the announcers are butt kissing Kershaw and the Dodgers makes me want to mute the crap. Fox did it last night with the Dodgers as well. When we played the Cards a while back, both networks were butt kissing the Cards all game too. Arenado this and that and when Molina HR'd I thought Buck was going to go through the roof with happiness. What was hilarious about that series is all the announcers talked about was the Cubs should break up their team lmao . It may be the other way around in reality and it is the Cards that maybe should. We get no respect on the national level and that is cool, even on the MLB network guys were talking about how hot the Brewers are, well news flash - they should be playing against crap teams. 

This game is over already, McKinstry just hit a Grand Slam. 4-0 Dodgers lead. Alzolay has no control at all tonight. So going into Milwaukee we will be 3 games back since they beat up on the putrid Rockies.

However you say Matt V last name, he is just really dumb. He isn't even capable of knowing who is at what position. He then gets so excited on a basic play. I wish we could be off the national games, or at least have MLB.tv let me use audio overlay with Cubs Radio. They also should setup the skycam that they are using for MLB, no announcers just sound for ESPN games. It is ridiculous. Moreso that they have A-Rod talking about cheating when he admitted to it. I am so tired of these type of games ruining my weekend watching.

17 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

This year I would say MLB umps have been the worst in sports overall. NBA you know what you are getting. NFL has had a little better, but MLB umps have been crap all around and from Strikes and Balls, to consistency, to replay review and it is just so ridiculous as other sports you at least are told what they reviewed and what the call is. MLB they dont tell you anything 

However you say Matt V last name, he is just really dumb. He isn't even capable of knowing who is at what position. He then gets so excited on a basic play. I wish we could be off the national games, or at least have MLB.tv let me use audio overlay with Cubs Radio. They also should setup the skycam that they are using for MLB, no announcers just sound for ESPN games. It is ridiculous. Moreso that they have A-Rod talking about cheating when he admitted to it. I am so tired of these type of games ruining my weekend watching.

Yeah I wish they had Bob Costas doing Sunday night games, he knows his stuff and isn't bias. As an analyst I liked Jessica Mendoza, her and Costas together would be great IMO.

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I wish they had Bob Costas doing Sunday night games, he knows his stuff and isn't bias. As an analyst I liked Jessica Mendoza, her and Costas together would be great IMO.

I have no comment on Costas, before my time. And I agree Mendoza isn't so bad as she doesn't think she so much bigger than the team. Beth Mowins, would be better than Matt, mainly cuz her voice doesn't change depending on who she wants. A-Rod in 2016 on Fox Postseason wasn't bad, but once he went on ESPN as Color Analyst he became terrible and became that complete act.

9 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I have no comment on Costas, before my time. And I agree Mendoza isn't so bad as she doesn't think she so much bigger than the team. Beth Mowins, would be better than Matt, mainly cuz her voice doesn't change depending on who she wants. A-Rod in 2016 on Fox Postseason wasn't bad, but once he went on ESPN as Color Analyst he became terrible and became that complete act.

Some are great on shows but suck at announcing. Take Ernie Johnson on TNT for example, he is great on TNT's post game show with Charles, Kenny, and Shaq but hearing him do play by play baseball is terrible. Costas still does games on occasion actually, he hasn't lost it at all.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some are great on shows but suck at announcing. Take Ernie Johnson on TNT for example, he is great on TNT's post game show with Charles, Kenny, and Shaq but hearing him do play by play baseball is terrible. Costas still does games on occasion actually, he hasn't lost it at all.

I only ever hear him on the show. Just mlb needs to force changes to announcers as they lose fans this way or new fans

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals "easy" recent schedule results in 2 losses to Detroit in a 2 game series, we then lose 3 of 4 to the Pirates.  Now we play the D-Backs.  Got to turn this thing around or we're out of it by the end of July.

I still dont get the rain delay yesterday, I saw that and looked out the window and it was nice outside, and I am just west of Ballpark. Were you guys trying to make sure the dude didnt throw a perfect game in his first game??haha

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Cardinals "easy" recent schedule results in 2 losses to Detroit in a 2 game series, we then lose 3 of 4 to the Pirates.  Now we play the D-Backs.  Got to turn this thing around or we're out of it by the end of July.

Cards are just banged up right now and the Brewers have played cupcakes so I figured they would get a little separation from the pack. Cubs at Brewers tonight, we will see what the Brewers are made of now. 

Not the outcome I expected. Brewers are not that good, a 10 run 8th inning is a joke! That is 2 games in a row where Tepera pitched badly and we keep leaving guys on base. Left them loaded in the 8th. Hendricks was ok?? Not his usual stuff though, we really need to win these next 2 games as we are 4 back now.

It was funny before the game because during the Cubs pre-game live they talked about how the Brewers haven't played a team above .500 since being 25-25 - that was 28 straight games before they beat us tonight. We will see what happens tomorrow.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the outcome I expected. Brewers are not that good, a 10 run 8th inning is a joke! That is 2 games in a row where Tepera pitched badly and we keep leaving guys on base. Left them loaded in the 8th. Hendricks was ok?? Not his usual stuff though, we really need to win these next 2 games as we are 4 back now.

It was funny before the game because during the Cubs pre-game live they talked about how the Brewers haven't played a team above .500 since being 25-25 - that was 28 straight games before they beat us tonight. We will see what happens tomorrow.

As I am guessing you saw he is on the IL now with a Calf, so should give him some time off and get healthy rested a bit. 

Also Schwarber with another lead offf HR today, 12 in 10 games. He is insane right now

One great thing about Baseball is, the Cubs have been relevant every year since 2015 so it has killed my boredom during the summer without Football. I have had something to follow intensely until Football gets here for the last 7 years. June has flown by, Football will be back in a about a month now. If by the end of July, the Cubs aren't within 5 games and that is worse case scenario, you can put a fork in them. Brewers will play a much tougher schedule in July after they play 4 at Pitt. We will see. July is a very important month for the Cubs with the way things are now.

For the 1st time in 6 seasons (2016-2021 seasons), us Cubs fans have to be wondering if this is the end to this very good run with the several players who have been a huge part of this main core since 2016. All of these players were on the 2016 WS Championship team = Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Wilson Contreras, Jason Heyward, Kyle Hendricks, and Jake Arrieta. They are all on the 2021 roster as well. On a scale of bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, and great this has 6 season run has been very good at worse.

2016 = 103-58, NL Central Division Champs, NL Champs, WS Champs.

2017 = 92-70, NL Central Division Champs, lost in the NLCS.

2018 = 95-68, made the playoffs, lost in Wildcard round.

2019 = 84-78, only season the Cubs missed the playoffs during that stretch but they were still above .500.

2020 = 34-26, NL Central Division Champs in the shortened Covid-19 season, lost in Wildcard round.

2021 = so far in 2nd place in the NL Central at 42-38.

-Total Regular Season record from 2016-2021 = 450-338 (winning % of 57.1). That equates to averaging to a 93-69 record over a 6 season span = great.

-3 NL Central Division Championships in 6 seasons = very good

-1 NL Pennant = very good because of only winning 1. Winning the NL has a high level of difficulty but winning 1 makes it at the very good level.

-1 WS Championship = great because winning a WS has the highest level of difficulty in Baseball.

We will find out by the end of July where this core team stands. July is a do or die month for this core team, biggest month the Cubs have had in a long a while. July is always a critical month regardless but with the Cubs being 5 games out of 1st in the NL Central it is critical. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras, Heyward, Hendricks, and Arrieta are all on the hot seat IMO. Ross is too as manager, he better pull the right strings in July or his stint may not last long in Chicago. As much as I love Jake Arrieta I don't see him back after this season regardless unless he just reels off 4 or 5 wins in a row starting with his next outing. Not looking good for him right now.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still maintain and say out of the 3 big sports = basketball, football, and baseball that baseball has the best officiating but that isn't saying much

I think baseball will always have the best umpiring because they are much less likely to make calls to support the stars of the sport.   In the NBA is is obvious and well known that the refs will call fouls differently for their stars.    In the NFL it is similar but not as much.   

Pathetic showing by the Cubs pitching, just like the rest of this week. They are completely lost right now. And are on our 4th 1st Baseman this week. Our 4th backup catcher. 6 games back. 

Arrieta needs to be DFA now. He is completely washed. 7 run lead and absolutely sucked it up. There is no one in our system who would pitch worse than him. He cant give the Cubs a chance to win, even with a 7 run lead before he throws. He is absolutely finished and needs to retire 

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Pathetic showing by the Cubs pitching, just like the rest of this week. They are completely lost right now. And are on our 4th 1st Baseman this week. Our 4th backup catcher. 6 games back. 

Arrieta needs to be DFA now. He is completely washed. 7 run lead and absolutely sucked it up. There is no one in our system who would pitch worse than him. He cant give the Cubs a chance to win, even with a 7 run lead before he throws. He is absolutely finished and needs to retire 

Sadly I agree. Up 7-0 no team should ever lose. Arrieta wasn't good at all but the Bullpen was just as bad. I can't figure the Cubs out, for a week or 2 they play like a top 5 in the league, then they play terribly in stretches like they are now. 6 games back isn't good at all.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sadly I agree. Up 7-0 no team should ever lose. Arrieta wasn't good at all but the Bullpen was just as bad. I can't figure the Cubs out, for a week or 2 they play like a top 5 in the league, then they play terribly in stretches like they are now. 6 games back isn't good at all.

The bullpen shouldn't have to come in to a game that started 7-0 and have to pitch in second inning. Mainly they are just tired and taxed, because of these opener starts, especially arrieta. The day Williams can pitch, arrieta needs gone. I'd rather try to keep going with mills he has a better chance at giving a chance to win

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

The bullpen shouldn't have to come in to a game that started 7-0 and have to pitch in second inning. Mainly they are just tired and taxed, because of these opener starts, especially arrieta. The day Williams can pitch, arrieta needs gone. I'd rather try to keep going with mills he has a better chance at giving a chance to win

I can't really defend Jake as of now because he does look done. All-time Cubs great but his time is probably over. I was just pointing out the Bullpen was terrible too. Whether it is your starter or the Bullpen you should never blow a 7-0 lead. When Jake went out the Cubs were still ahead 7-3 but it doesn't excuse Jake because with a 7-0 lead he should've coasted for 4 or 5 innings.

Thank goodness for the D-Backs...Cardinals climbing back to near .500 and we now play at Colorado for 4 games before road series against the amazing Giants and then we're in Wrigley to finish out the pre All-Star schedule.  Hope we can take 3 of 4 from the Rockies, maybe we'll pull off 1 of 3 in SF and then would love to take 2 of 3 from the Cubs.

Right now, I think Arenado will be the only Cardinals player at the ASG, unless Molina sneaks onto the roster, too.

How about the Cubs?  Bryant I think will be...who else?

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't really defend Jake as of now because he does look done. All-time Cubs great but his time is probably over. I was just pointing out the Bullpen was terrible too. Whether it is your starter or the Bullpen you should never blow a 7-0 lead. When Jake went out the Cubs were still ahead 7-3 but it doesn't excuse Jake because with a 7-0 lead he should've coasted for 4 or 5 innings.

Weren't there runner on too? And moreso, the fact the Bullpen guys who pitched are getting used so much, and just this week. Jake has been cooked since 18 with injuries and this year is just straight bad performance

8 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Thank goodness for the D-Backs...Cardinals climbing back to near .500 and we now play at Colorado for 4 games before road series against the amazing Giants and then we're in Wrigley to finish out the pre All-Star schedule.  Hope we can take 3 of 4 from the Rockies, maybe we'll pull off 1 of 3 in SF and then would love to take 2 of 3 from the Cubs.

Right now, I think Arenado will be the only Cardinals player at the ASG, unless Molina sneaks onto the roster, too.

Kimbrel, and Willson are both options too. And if Chafin was a closer he would be too, 

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Weren't there runner on too? And moreso, the fact the Bullpen guys who pitched are getting used so much, and just this week. Jake has been cooked since 18 with injuries and this year is just straight bad performance

Kimbrel, and Willson are both options too. And if Chafin was a closer he would be too, 

I am pretty sure Kimbrel will make it, he has been lights out all season. 

On 7/1/2021 at 10:49 AM, Barry Sears said:

Lost game one against the Rockies.  

I am almost ready to call it.   The Cardinals only have a slim shot to make the post season.   The West seems to have the wild cards nearly wrapped up.  The Cardinals are 2 games under .500 coming out of their easiest part of the schedule.   They still have poor pitching.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Lost game one against the Rockies.  

I am almost ready to call it.   The Cardinals only have a slim shot to make the post season.   The West seems to have the wild cards nearly wrapped up.  The Cardinals are 2 games under .500 coming out of their easiest part of the schedule.   They still have poor pitching.   

It would be highly surprising if the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres dont all make it

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It would be highly surprising if the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres dont all make it

I am not quite ready to call it a season but this isn't looking good. We look bad right now! 6.5 games back in the NL Central through the midway point of the season. 42-39 is an ok record and it is 6th best in the NL, unfortunately only 5 teams make the playoffs. To your above post I think all 3 of those teams end up making the playoffs. The winner of the NL East will just get in by default because of winning their division and the Brewers have now distant themselves in our division. We have lost 6 in a row and the Brewers have won 9 in a row so things have took a turn for the worse over the last week and a half. Still a lot of baseball to go but July is a make or break month for the Cubs. Cubs have to start winning now and the Brewers schedule will toughen up as the month goes on. Going into August if we are still 6.5 games back or so the chances of winning the division will be around 20%. We need at worse to be like 4 games back, that wouldn't be too bad with 2 months left that point.

I honestly wonder what the standings would be like had we had the Brewers schedule in June and they had ours and I will give the Brewers the 3 game sweep of us because they beat us. I think we would be somewhere around only 2 or 3 games back at most and that is with getting swept by the Brewers. Now they are playing the pathetic Pirates to start July. We are playing at Cincy which is never easy.

The Reds are just dangerous enough to give most teams fits, but I still see us finish near .500 when it’s all said and done. When they’re dialed it’s a lot of fun to watch at least, with Winker and Castellanos being big surprises. 

I’ve always liked the Cubs too, so I hope the next time the Reds meet the Brewers they can knock them down a few pegs and give Chicago a fighting chance! 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

The Reds are just dangerous enough to give most teams fits, but I still see us finish near .500 when it’s all said and done. When they’re dialed it’s a lot of fun to watch at least, with Winker and Castellanos being big surprises. 

I’ve always liked the Cubs too, so I hope the next time the Reds meet the Brewers they can knock them down a few pegs and give Chicago a fighting chance! 

I am guessing the Final records will be Brewers, Reds, Cubs and Cardinals, , , , , , , , , , Pirates. 

I am guessing the Cubs sale the end of this month, Kimbrel, Chafin, Maybe Pederson. Of course KB could be gone, but I am not sure, Rizzo and Javy I do not expect at all. With that being the case, I expect the Cubs to crash down even more and kinda be at the same level as the Cardinals have been. 

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am guessing the Final records will be Brewers, Reds, Cubs and Cardinals, , , , , , , , , , Pirates. 

I am guessing the Cubs sale the end of this month, Kimbrel, Chafin, Maybe Pederson. Of course KB could be gone, but I am not sure, Rizzo and Javy I do not expect at all. With that being the case, I expect the Cubs to crash down even more and kinda be at the same level as the Cardinals have been. 

Not sure yet about the Cubs regarding Bryant, Rizzo, and Javy. I think they stay Cubs if I had to guess. Kimbrel and Pederson could be moved if they sale, Kimbrel is great this year and Pederson is good.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure yet about the Cubs regarding Bryant, Rizzo, and Javy. I think they stay Cubs if I had to guess. Kimbrel and Pederson could be moved if they sale, Kimbrel is great this year and Pederson is good.

Pederson will depend on if there's a market for him. Kimbrel is our best bet to get good package for him, if we sell. Chafin has been good and a good bet to be traded too. KB it depends on what we can get, Mets are popping up again. Rizzo and Javy i just can't see us trading. Then this off-season will be interesting 

25 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Pederson will depend on if there's a market for him. Kimbrel is our best bet to get good package for him, if we sell. Chafin has been good and a good bet to be traded too. KB it depends on what we can get, Mets are popping up again. Rizzo and Javy i just can't see us trading. Then this off-season will be interesting 

If we trade KB we better get at least a good player and a couple of good prospects. I can't see Rizzo being traded either because he is so likeable in Chicago. Javy I can't either but definitely not Rizzo.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we trade KB we better get at least a good player and a couple of good prospects. I can't see Rizzo being traded either because he is so likeable in Chicago. Javy I can't either but definitely not Rizzo.

KB isn't likely to fetch us some a great package, which is why I am still not sure. i am guessing it will be Darvish type thing with low level prospects. Even more Rizzo and Javy it is just hard to see a package that offsets the lost of them in the fan way. 

It will be time to bring up some young guys to get them a shot at big leagues, maybe Morel from Double A since he is already on 40 man

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

KB isn't likely to fetch us some a great package, which is why I am still not sure. i am guessing it will be Darvish type thing with low level prospects. Even more Rizzo and Javy it is just hard to see a package that offsets the lost of them in the fan way. 

It will be time to bring up some young guys to get them a shot at big leagues, maybe Morel from Double A since he is already on 40 man

Man after going through years of misery as a Cubs fan since 1984, I don't want our glory years to end being 2015-2020 seasons. We have been very good to great for the last 6 seasons - 3 Division Titles, 3 NLCS apps, and a 2016 WS Title. Going through another re-build will suck. Outside of 1984, 1989, 2003, and 2008 we haven't had much glory. I did love 1987 eventhough the team was bad - Dawson's HR's kept me watching all year haha . After being spoiled for 6 straight seasons this is going to be so depressing to see if we break this team up. I am just not sure what is going on right now with us?? Bryant, Javy, and Contreras are all still young. Rizzo is still in his prime and we just aren't winning! Jake looks washed but Hendricks is still a young'un and Kimbrel is awesome. Makes no sense.

Archived