Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Dane Brugler] 7 round mock draft

Dane is one of the draft analysts that I respect the most and he puts in a ton of work throughout the year and this all culminates in his NFL draft guide. If you are subscribed to the Athletic you can see it there, but this thread is about his mock draft which he published today. It's full 7 round 32 teams mock. Here are the picks for the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/2512750/2021/04/14/2021-nfl-mock-draft-all-7-rounds-and-259-picks-from-trevor-lawrence-to-feleipe-franks/

21. Indianapolis Colts – Jaelan Phillips, edge, Miami (Fla.)

Phillips is a tough evaluation due to his medical history, but his talent is worthy of early first-round consideration. If the Colts’ medical staff gives general manager Chris Ballard two thumbs up, Phillips could be a steal for a team in need of more juice rushing the passer.

54. Indianapolis Colts – Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

127. Indianapolis Colts – Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford

165. Indianapolis Colts – Darren Hall, CB, San Diego State

206. Indianapolis Colts – Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa

248. Indianapolis Colts – Briley Moore, TE, Kansas State

How do you feel about that draft? 

It would be OK, but I'd rather have an OT in the first. I think OT has more effect on the entire game than an Edge, who I would take in the second. Worse case, you can always trade for a proven Edge. Obviously, it all depends on who falls where, though.

I wouldn’t be happy about this at all.  Phillips is probably off my draft board due to concussions.  Eichenberg is too low an option at LT.  Fehoko is too similar to Pittman and Patmon - we want to be multiple on O, and I don’t see how bringing another similar young WR helps with that.  That’s a bit early for Darren Hall too (though I do like him).  I would be depressed for weeks if this was our draft, mainly because of those first two picks...

19 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

It would be OK, but I'd rather have an OT in the first. I think OT has more effect on the entire game than an Edge, who I would take in the second. Worse case, you can always trade for a proven Edge. Obviously, it all depends on who falls where, though.

IDK

I could really go either way. This defense end class is limited. BPA may just be a OT.....  in that case,

just take the OT

but, if available Paye or Phillips MIGHT be the BPA at 21

It all depends on the CB list

With the current state of affairs...... 

With our current excellent OL, If we had an average LT we would be OK

With our current DL, if we have an average DE, our defense wouldnt do as well

We actually have 2 holes to fill on the DL

We have 1 hole to fill on the OL

If we do it right, we might get both in this draft

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I wouldn’t be happy about this at all.  Phillips is probably off my draft board due to concussions.  Eichenberg is too low an option at LT.  Fehoko is too similar to Pittman and Patmon - we want to be multiple on O, and I don’t see how bringing another similar young WR helps with that.  That’s a bit early for Darren Hall too (though I do like him).  I would be depressed for weeks if this was our draft, mainly because of those first two picks...

I never understand takes like this. You literally cannot speak on injury history unless you have inside information on the situation. Obviously if the Colts took him at 21, they vetted him and feel more than confident its not an issue moving forward. 

He jumps off the screen more than Paye does.  He somewhat reminds me of Buckner, but with the injury history, I don't see it.  Unless they make a trade or sign Villanueva or something, I think T is the pick.

17 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I never understand takes like this. You literally cannot speak on injury history unless you have inside information on the situation. Obviously if the Colts took him at 21, they vetted him and feel more than confident its not an issue moving forward. 

I don’t have inside info on the situation, but the public info is too bad for my taste.  He decided to medically retire in 2019 due to his concussion history.  It’d have to be pretty bad to do that to such a high recruit.  He may have reconsidered, but I wouldn’t draft someone with that kind of history given what we know about the cumulative effects of multiple concussions.. 

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I don’t have inside info on the situation, but the public info is too bad for my taste.  He decided to medically retire in 2019 due to his concussion history.  It’d have to be pretty bad to do that to such a high recruit.  He may have reconsidered, but I wouldn’t draft someone with that kind of history given what we know about the cumulative effects of multiple concussions.. 

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) in another thread recently mentioned that UCLA has a rule about concussions and that after 3, they force you to medically retire. I haven't verified that info yet, but if it's true, it at least helps put into perspective that the retirement wasn't his decision and explains the transfer so he could play.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) in another thread recently mentioned that UCLA has a rule about concussions and that after 3, they force you to medically retire. I haven't verified that info yet, but if it's true, it at least helps put into perspective that the retirement wasn't his decision and explains the transfer so he could play.

That could be something different, I suppose.  It certainly goes back to NorthernColt’s original point, which is that the Colts have a process for vetting such medical issues.  And if Ballard, armed with much more medical info than we’ll ever see, feels comfortable enough to draft him, then that should be good enough for us.  That’s a pretty valid point.  However, as we stand right now, just knowing that he has an extensive concussion history...well, I’d grade him down quite a few spots for that...

16 hours ago, Archer said:

You just proved my point, considering you just made a statement that isnt even correct. He didnt choose to retire, ucla medically retired him, then he transferred so he could play.

19 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Trade for a proven edge? 

What team trades a proven edge rusher?

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

You just proved my point, considering you just made a statement that isnt even correct. He didnt choose to retire, ucla medically retired him, then he transferred so he could play.

Lol.  I already acknowledged your point about the team having complete medical info in my response to Shive’s post above, and admitted I didn’t know about UCLA’s concussion policy.       But, if saying something that “isn’t even true” proves the other person’s point, then I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

29 minutes ago, Archer said:

I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

It very well could have been that UCLA medically retired him. He wasn't sure if football would still be an avenue for him based off of that, so he picked a school that had a good program in his other passion, music. That way he would be able to set himself up for success if he couldn't play football anymore and if he could, he was still going to a school with a good football program.

Honestly, we can speculate all day about his thought process around the decisions he made and his "love of the game", but unless he comes right out and publicly gives an account, I don't think we'll know. For that and the medical concerns, he seems like he'll remain a tough prospect to place a draft value/ranking on.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Lol.  I already acknowledged your point about the team having complete medical info in my response to Shive’s post above, and admitted I didn’t know about UCLA’s concussion policy.       But, if saying something that “isn’t even true” proves the other person’s point, then I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

He didnt choose it. They wouldn't let him play anymore.

My point being anyways is, as fans, I find it odd that we write guys off or take them of our fan board, due to medicals, as if we literally know anything medically about them. Point being, evaluate the player, thats all we can do forsure. Imo he's easily the best pass rusher in the draft, so until the Colts or anyone says he's medically unfit, he's still edge1, imo obviously. 

4 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

He didnt choose it. They wouldn't let him play anymore.

My point being anyways is, as fans, I find it odd that we write guys off or take them of our fan board, due to medicals, as if we literally know anything medically about them. Point being, evaluate the player, thats all we can do forsure. Imo he's easily the best pass rusher in the draft, so until the Colts or anyone says he's medically unfit, he's still edge1, imo obviously. 

I agree - some of the guys that they’re billing as top pass rushers scare me a bit.  Particularly his Miami teammate - Rousseau.  But Ojulari and Ossai too.  Paye’s  a stud, though.  Oweh I like, but I’d have to watch a lot of tape to determine why he got no sacks last year.  But Phillips has got it all.  I suspect any teams that aren’t worried about concussions after his medicals will have him as EDGE1...

On 4/14/2021 at 11:39 AM, stitches said:

Dane is one of the draft analysts that I respect the most and he puts in a ton of work throughout the year and this all culminates in his NFL draft guide. If you are subscribed to the Athletic you can see it there, but this thread is about his mock draft which he published today. It's full 7 round 32 teams mock. Here are the picks for the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/2512750/2021/04/14/2021-nfl-mock-draft-all-7-rounds-and-259-picks-from-trevor-lawrence-to-feleipe-franks/

How do you feel about that draft? 

Wasted pick 1 more concussion and its over !

Archived