Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeVonta Smith

IDK

If Chase, or either of the Alabama WRs slide......  they would be BPA, and I WOULD pick them at 21

I would hope that we had OT and DE covered before we start picking WRs that arent one of these 3

At 21 the BPA will probably be an OT in this draft class......

Smith or Waddle falling would be better value than any DE or OT in that range I feel. We'd have to take them there regardless of need, and maybe move up in the second for OT. T.Y is back for one more year, but we still need a long term compliment to Pitt. Either one + Pittman would be a nightmare. I'm hoping he slips.

51 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Even if he does I'm passing if I'm Ballard 

Only way I'm taking him is if DE and OT suck

I doubt Ballard passes if that were the case if he stays put at No.21. I can see him moving back if another team like the Ravens gives up their 3rd rounder to move up for Waddle but Waddle would be like a Tyreek Hill/Suggs talent that would instantly improve the offense.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt Ballard passes if that were the case if he stays put at No.21. I can see him moving back if another team like the Ravens gives up their 3rd rounder to move up for Waddle but Waddle would be like a Tyreek Hill/Suggs talent that would instantly improve the offense.

WR can be drafted in 4th

Good WR class this year too 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Great point, if one of the big three is still available, we may get some excellent trade offers

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

WR can be drafted in 4th

Yes, and there is a value in getting a #1 WR type players at No.21. However, the way the Colts use their wide outs, #1, #2 are considerably interchangeable but there is always a drop in quality once you get to Day 3 (Rounds 4 and above). Hence I feel Ballard is more likely to trade down. But if he is forced to make the pick, he will take the value if one of the Top 3 WRs are still on the board. 

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If Chase, or either of the Alabama WRs slide......  they would be BPA, and I WOULD pick them at 21

I don't see any chance of Chase making it out of the top 10, although Smith or Waddle could fall that far, but it's unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see any chance of Chase making it out of the top 10, although Smith or Waddle could fall that far, but it's unlikely.

I think all 3 will be gone before 21

But.... strange things happen every year

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Even if he does I'm passing if I'm Ballard 

Only way I'm taking him is if DE and OT suck

There isn't a DE in this draft anywhere close to the grade that Smith or Waddle have. Im not sure that there is a legit 1st round ER in this yrs draft after doing some reading.     The only OT that might be close to Waddle. (Nowhere close to Smith) is Darrisaw assuming Sewell is long gone.   

But the drop off (grade)from Darrisaw  to lets say Mayfield or Jenkins is not near the drop it would be from Waddle to Moore or Bateman or anyone else at the WR position.

Have to stop thinking need and think value.    And even if you want to lean more on need there are a lot more OT's and DE that are more closely ranked that can be taken later in the draft.

10 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

There isn't a DE in this draft anywhere close to the grade that Smith or Waddle have. Im not sure that there is a legit 1st round ER in this yrs draft after doing some reading.     The only OT that might be close to Waddle. (Nowhere close to Smith) is Darrisaw assuming Sewell is long gone.   

But the drop off (grade)from Darrisaw  to lets say Mayfield or Jenkins is not near the drop it would be from Waddle to Moore or Bateman or anyone else at the WR position.

Have to stop thinking need and think value.    And even if you want to lean more on need there are a lot more OT's and DE that are more closely ranked that can be taken later in the draft.

I am sure, deep down in Colts' fans' minds "Please God, let Waddle not drop to No.21 so that I don't have to revisit the Polian days of my GM picking a WR, or the Grigson Dorsett nightmare, so that 1 out of all the OTs and DEs I mocked for my team may come true" is being played inside, lol :) 

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

WR can be drafted in 4th

Mostly agreed but a good WR class doesn't mean we are getting 2nd-3rd round talent in the 4th. Last year was a great WR class and it just means a lot of WRs went early. Not saying I'm team WR in the 1st or anything, just an observation. 

7 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Mostly agreed but a good WR class doesn't mean we are getting 2nd-3rd round talent in the 4th. Last year was a great WR class and it just means a lot of WRs went early. Not saying I'm team WR in the 1st or anything, just an observation. 

You may not get a 2nd round talent in the 4th.   But you might get a 3rd.    At the least it means you’re getting a better player in that round than you otherwise might ordinarily Expect.   

It was true last year.  It’s said to be true this year.   Back to back exceptional classes if WR’s is incredibly rare.  That’s why I see the Colts taking a WR this year no later than the 4th round.   I’d be hugely disappointed otherwise.   

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may not get a 2nd round talent in the 4th.   But you might get a 3rd.    At the least it means you’re getting a better player in that round than you otherwise might ordinarily Expect.   

It was true last year.  It’s said to be true this year.   Back to back exceptional classes if WR’s is incredibly rare.  That’s why I see the Colts taking a WR this year no later than the 4th round.   I’d be hugely disappointed otherwise.   

Idk if any of the 4th round WRs deserved a 3rd round selection and I'm not talking in hindsight. I think the good ones just went early and often. Gabriel Davis and Antonio Gandy-Golden are a couple of examples. I think when we get to the 4th round we will be looking at 4th round talent.

2 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Idk if any of the 4th round WRs deserved a 3rd round selection and I'm not talking in hindsight. I think the good ones just went early and often. Gabriel Davis and Antonio Gandy-Golden are a couple of examples. I think when we get to the 4th round we will be looking at 4th round talent.

I think we’re in the territory of likely not knowing for a number of years until we see how things shake out.  

But last years WR class was said to be one of the best ever and that was said long before the 2020 draft.   It had supreme talent at the top and quality depth through 5-6 rounds.

And even then, the ‘21 class was said to be basically equally as good.  Rare talent at the top, quality talent through 5-6 rounds.  

And it was noted how rare it is to have exceptional classes in back to back years.  

Im not sure what there is to disagree about? 

Archived