Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

@NFLfan - you can lock the other now. Thanks !

Alright guys. Re-setting this poll now that there are some other chips falling.

Because I had to add options, and because options are systemically limited, I did not include "other", and some other choices.

If there is someone else you want, or are undecided, still vote for the best option (of those listed) but post you'd rather have XXX, or are undecided.

I've also added a few new questions on general strategy of how to get the QB you might want.

I've got the poll open till end of beginning of FA (legal tampering date). If more dominos fall, I may do a P3 mid March. Maybe some more pre and/or post draft if we are still QB-less, and the options change.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This tweets make me wonder about the validity of the others you provided earlier

Ummm GIF by memecandy

Honesty, it’s probably 100 percent all made up. I highly doubt any of these guys/gals are doing any different than the ones in this forum. Hell, I’d bet one or two of them are even reading this and generating ideas from it

I haven't voted yet, have to think a while on that but I like the idea of trading this years 1st and even next years 3rd for Carr if the Raiders would do that. To me Carr in our system, with our O.Line, coaching, and run game can be good. I wanted him before last season, my 2 choices were he and Rivers before last season. I would give up this years 1st and next years 3rd for Ryan as well, it may take a little more to get him, not sure.

My personal preference is trading up for one of Wilson/Fields/Lance(in that order). I think being cheap at the QB position is a mistake. You go get the best QB you can get... almost regardless of the price. (if Ballard loves any of them). I would personally be willing to give up multiple high value assets to move up for any of those I listed above. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

My personal preference is trading up for one of Wilson/Fields/Lance(in that order). I think being cheap at the QB position is a mistake. You go get the best QB you can get... almost regardless of the price. (if Ballard loves any of them). I would personally be willing to give up multiple high value assets to move up for any of those I listed above. 

I'd go Lance/Wilson/Fields in that order. I'd be OK with moving up so long as it's not a huge mortgage. 

I do think we're going to end up with Wentz though some how. And I'm OK with that so long as the trade doesn't include a #1, and the total package is good.

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This tweets make me wonder about the validity of the others you provided earlier

Ummm GIF by memecandy

I find Sileo hillarious. He really does just make stuff depending on what he hears. If that is true we will hear by tomorrow. I don’t believe it though with his history. 

I think the eagles needed to slow down some involved Wentz. Taking this extra time allows them to really go over every offer. But they need to decide soon. Maybe this will happen this week. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I find Sileo hillarious. He really does just make stuff depending on what he hears. If that is true we will hear by tomorrow. I don’t believe it though with his history. 

I think the eagles needed to slow down some involved Wentz. Taking this extra time allows them to really go over every offer. But they need to decide soon. Maybe this will happen this week. 

Nah. The longer it plays out, the less they'll get for Wentz. I'm just thankful Ballard is like he is, and we didn't get caught up. Doesn't surprise me Denver was shrewd too. I am a little surprised Chicago wasn't more aggressive given they staff is desperate for a win in the dice game.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd go Lance/Wilson/Fields in that order. I'd be OK with moving up so long as it's not a huge mortgage. 

I do think we're going to end up with Wentz though some how. And I'm OK with that so long as the trade doesn't include a #1, and the total package is good.

As I stated in the bridge thread The problem is more than likely it will take a mortgage to get Fields, Wilson, Lance, and possibly Jones

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@csmopar

Replying here. 

Yeah, several teams were going to be hurting this year. I'd include the Falcons, Steelers, and Rams to a lesser extent, but still hurting.

Good thing for us, is we should be able to find some good bargains in FA this year (in general).

Wasn’t that one reason they traded Goff for Stafford 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah. The longer it plays out, the less they'll get for Wentz. I'm just thankful Ballard is like he is, and we didn't get caught up. Doesn't surprise me Denver was shrewd too. I am a little surprised Chicago wasn't more aggressive given they staff is desperate for a win in the dice game.

I don’t mean a long pause. Just talking about like a week. Which it seems they have done.

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

Don't even see what would be my #1 option right now.

Matt Ryan.

EDIT: and no Wentz option?

I purposefully left off Ryan (I just think it's too bad of a contract to unload this year).

I didn't mean to leave off Wentz, and have added him in (replacing SWAG).

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't voted yet, have to think a while on that but I like the idea of trading this years 1st and even next years 3rd for Carr if the Raiders would do that. To me Carr in our system, with our O.Line, coaching, and run game can be good. I wanted him before last season, my 2 choices were he and Rivers before last season. I would give up this years 1st and next years 3rd for Ryan as well, it may take a little more to get him, not sure.

I like Carr too. I just think Gruden would want too much. And I think he knows the QB market is a glut right now, so he can't get what he would want. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I purposefully left off Ryan (I just think it's too bad of a contract to unload this year).

I still think we can get Ryan and afford it. It may take this years 1st and next years 2nd to get it done but it can be done. Regarding Carr, this years 1st and next years 3rd may get it done. It depends on what the Falcons or Raiders want to do?

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As I stated in the bridge thread The problem is more than likely it will take a mortgage to get Fields, Wilson, Lance, and possibly Jones

IDK. If for instance Lance would drop outside the top 10, Our 1st + 2nd, and potentially a player like Oke or a future 3rd or 2nd might be enough to get it done per the draft calculator. It would take the right team for sure, but it wouldn't be too crazy (a full on mortgage). 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

They can trade him after June 1st and save $23m in 2021 cap space. Would have big dead cap hit next year,  but that is big saving for a team that will have problems with the cap this season.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm surprised too, given that a hypothetical Bears-Eagles trade would either 1) work out and Pace would save his (& Nagy's) job, or 2) fail but not matter, since it would involve draft capital the next GM wouldn't have available once Pace is replaced

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think we can get Ryan and afford it. It may take this years 1st and next years 2nd to get it done but it can be done. Regarding Carr, this years 1st and next years 3rd may get it done. It depends on what the Falcons or Raiders want to do?

Those are my top 2 options. Still in the veteran trade mode right now.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Wasn’t that one reason they traded Goff for Stafford 

I think the biggest reason was they simply lost confidence in Goff. Not sure how much they actually saved this year, but I'm sure they wanted out of the deal long term regardless. They certainly paid a high price for the whole situation, and will be in tough situation for the next few years with DC and the lack of picks. I'm sure they're frame of mind is all-in for the next two years. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. If for instance Lance would drop outside the top 10, Our 1st + 2nd, and potentially a player like Oke or a future 3rd or 2nd might be enough to get it done per the draft calculator. It would take the right team for sure, but it wouldn't be too crazy (a full on mortgage). 

If CB passed on Love last year I feel he will he will do the same for Wentz Lite

Just now, EastStreet said:

I agree, that is all I was saying earlier. Moving up to lets say 13 or 14 from 21 isn't a huge jump when you offering your 1st round pick and 2nd round pick to do so + a player like a Doyle or Oke. Will Lance go in the top 10, possibly but he could go around 15th? Nobody knows.

Although it is a guess, I feel like I'm in Ballard's camp....which I think is...

"Look....we have to see what Eason has between the ears before we hand the keys to him. He's never even played a freakin game yet. But I'm responsible to build a team that gets wins. So I offered what I thought would be prudent for our organization at this time for Matt Stafford. It obviously was not enough. Now we have an offer out there for Carson Wentz. Same deal....we know what we can risk investing on players that other teams are moving on from. If the players we have targeted to play QB for....lets say......4 to 5 years are signed at contracts beyond what we feel they are worth, then we will look to the next level of QB's to get us a year or two so we can properly evaluate Jacob Eason. Like I've said, we will not operate in a frantic mode. The right player or opportunity will come, and I'll continue to strengthen this franchise until it happens".

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, that is all I was saying earlier. Moving up to lets say 13 or 14 from 21 isn't a huge jump when you offering your 1st round pick and 2nd round pick to do so + a player like a Doyle or Oke. Will Lance go in the top 10, possibly but he could go around 15th? Nobody knows.

I don’t see CB trading someone with one year of FCS experience 

IMO his former teammate did the right thing by transferring to LSU after the NDSU announcement 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Although it is a guess, I feel like I'm in Ballard's camp....which I think is...

"Look....we have to see what Eason has between the ears before we hand the keys to him. He's never even played a freakin game yet. But I'm responsible to build a team that gets wins. So I offered what I thought would be prudent for our organization at this time for Matt Stafford. It obviously was not enough. Now we have an offer out there for Carson Wentz. Same deal....we know what we can risk investing on players that other teams are moving on from. If the players we have targeted to play QB for....lets say......4 to 5 years are signed at contracts beyond what we feel they are worth, then we will look to the next level of QB's to get us a year or two so we can properly evaluate Jacob Eason. Like I've said, we will not operate in a frantic mode. The right player or opportunity will come, and I'll continue to strengthen this franchise until happens".

That is my view too

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Personally I wouldn't give up that much for the chance to draft a guy who's played so relatively few games, with most if not all of them vs. FCS competition. Too many question marks, and the Colts just drafted a "traits guy with question marks" a year ago.

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

Personally I wouldn't give up that much for the chance to draft a guy who's played so relatively few games, with most if not all of them vs. FCS competition. Too many question marks, and the Colts just drafted a "traits guy with question marks" a year ago.

You have to throw stuff out there, my 1st 2 choices are Ryan and Carr because I feel like we are built to win now to keep it simple.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, they'll want more. I'd say 2x 1st. And they'd likely get that IMO. For them, it would be a post draft deal, and they'd be basically pushing their cap crisis into next year.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

They can trade him after June 1st and save $23m in 2021 cap space. Would have big dead cap hit next year,  but that is big saving for a team that will have problems with the cap this season.

Could happen, I just think it's highly unlikely that they do, and even more unlikely that Ballard would want to meet the asking price for a 36 year old QB. The savings this year would help IF they could also get a hefty draft capital haul. I just honestly don't see Blank being OK with that type of move and throwing a rook QB to the wolves in year 1. I wouldn't be shocked though, just find it highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I'm surprised too, given that a hypothetical Bears-Eagles trade would either 1) work out and Pace would save his (& Nagy's) job, or 2) fail but not matter, since it would involve draft capital the next GM wouldn't have available once Pace is replaced

Yup. IMO, ownership might have stepped in and put limits on what they could do, so they don't jack things up to bad for the future lol. 

Archived