Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see Blank pushing for Fields at all. I think he'd go Wilson if available, and if not, jump to Lance.

I could also see them sticking with Ryan, and trading out of 4th for the right offer. I think there are some QB hungry teams that would love to move up to 4th. If they could get two 1Rs, it would be a no brainer to me given all the holes they need to fill. 

A hometown kid like Fields can put people in the seats and drive Merch sales

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

If Colts are giving up 2x 2nd rounders, I hope CB is shrewd and make them swap 2nds this year (54 for 37), and or makes next years 2nd conditional. 

I am now resigned to the fact that we will be acquiring Wentz shortly.  They obviously want him to be our guy and the Eagles have left the door open with the Ertz offer to find a way to button it up.  I would rather some other player than Ertz but if it gets the deal done I think Ballard will find a way and we keep our 1st.   I know Sileo is friends with Reich so he of course can't name him as a source but this is good enough for me.   I think Wentz will be our new QB very soon.  

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How many of you swear by PFF? This may have been posted before but PFF believes Wentz is not worth giving much for. (I like Wentz.)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-carson-wentz-trade-2021

There's a slew of PFF tweets showing his bad stats, especially around clean pocket throws. 

They're really down on him. I'm not all in on PFF in general, but I do believe their ratings are a good indicator and directionally correct. I'm also a big believer in clean pocket stats. 

Winston is listed twice.  I assume one is supposed to be Watson.  Even though Watson isn’t realistic he would be my choice.  After him it would be Ryan and then wentz.  I want to see what eason is like but have a bridge until we find the right young guy to grow.  But right now I think this team can win with a vet. I mean win it all. 

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How many of you swear by PFF? This may have been posted before but PFF believes Wentz is not worth giving much for. (I like Wentz.)

I think the only thing that matters is what Reich and Ballard think.  And we know they want him.  Going to happen I believe. 

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don’t swear by them but I sure in the hell agree with them. He ain’t even worth a 7th if it were me. They should be giving us a 2 just to take him and his salary 

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Serious question: what has anyone seen in Trubisky for him to be your #1 option. How is Trubisky better than Darnold? 

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

East you priced Darnold out of the market off the bat for me with the 1st rd offer. 3rd round he's my choice. 

I'd take Darnold for a 3rd too, I just don't see them giving him up cheap. I'd take him for our 2nd too I think.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

A hometown kid like Fields can put people in the seaRs and drive Merch sales

Keep in mind he left UGA for OSU. Folks were actually more upset that Eason left than when Fields left. Home town kid really doesn't mean much unless that hometown kid played in-state in college. I suppose folks from his town would be happy. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@EastStreet you must really like Winston. You have him twice as an option. Would you like me to insert someone else in there -- maybe Colt McCoy or Blake Bortles?. :P

Ah, I was wondering why my choices maxed out. I'd edit back to SWAG or Ryan if I could lol.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am now resigned to the fact that we will be acquiring Wentz shortly.  They obviously want him to be our guy and the Eagles have left the door open with the Ertz offer to find a way to button it up.  I would rather some other player than Ertz but if it gets the deal done I think Ballard will find a way and we keep our 1st.   I know Sileo is friends with Reich so he of course can't name him as a source but this is good enough for me.   I think Wentz will be our new QB very soon.  

I think Wentz will end up here to. But I highly doubt Reich is giving him info.

3 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Sign a journeyman or keep Brissett at the right price

Draft best value at position in rounds 1-3

Keep Eason as a wildcard

It's not the sexy play, but it seems like our best option at this point. If Ballard can pull off better then all hail...

JB would impact the fanbase negatively. But I'd be sorta OK with a journeyman like Fitz for a year or so if it meant we were getting better (noticeably) in other areas. At least Fitz would be new, played pretty well last year, and is exciting to an extent. But even then, the "non-sexy" play only gets us a non-sexy draft pick next year, and we'd have the same QB question next year too.... At some point, you have to make a move.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's a slew of PFF tweets showing his bad stats, especially around clean pocket throws. 

They're really down on him. I'm not all in on PFF in general, but I do believe their ratings are a good indicator and directionally correct. I'm also a big believer in clean pocket stats. 

I'll take Frank over PFF. PFF is a good source....dont get me wrong. Controversial play calling aside. I do trust Frank when it comes to evaluating a qbs abilities

JB would impact the fanbase negatively. But I'd be sorta OK with a journeyman like Fitz for a year or so if it meant we were getting better (noticeably) in other areas. At least Fitz would be new, played pretty well last year, and is exciting to an extent. But even then, the "non-sexy" play only gets us a non-sexy draft pick next year, and we'd have the same QB question next year too.... At some point, you have to make a move.

To me, JB is as good as any other for a BACKUP

But ... I would much rather have someone that is working toward the starter position vs a player that has a ceiling that is backup

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did Wentz kick your dog?   If you had $1 for every anti-Wentz comment you’d be rich.  

Osweiler better than Wentz?!?  Holy cow!?! 

No, but I think it’d be more appropriate to say if I had a nickle for every negative Wentz comment I’ve made, I’d be a billionaire!

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Didn't you like Darnold? I would take Darnold over my QB. 

Darnold is even worse yet!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did Wentz kick your dog?   If you had $1 for every anti-Wentz comment you’d be rich.  

Osweiler better than Wentz?!?  Holy cow!?! 

Do an honest evaluation of Wentz. He would have been the MVP in 2017 if he had not blown his ACL. 2019, he played with no talent at the wr position. He carried that offence kicking and screaming to the playoffs. 2020 was a disaster. Wentz proved that he can play at an elite and crap level.  I do believe that he can turn it around with Reich in his corner. It was kind of like Rhodes last year. Played at an all pro level and down the last 2 years or so. The Colts believed he could revert back or close to his all pro level.

I'd take Darnold for a 3rd too, 

Anything could happen, but I have to ask, what part of Darnolds game (Last 3 years)  translates to a starters role or an improvement over Rivers?

What have you seen that makes you wish to give anything to bring him here.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They go strickly by stats. Don't think they take into account the team surrounding the player. Especially at a position like QB vs a RG who goes 1 on 1 against his man. QB is rated on sacks when his OL doesn't hold up, on completions when his WR runs wrong routes and on poor play calling by the OC. It's just not him 1 on 1 against someone.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What makes you say that? Which QB do you want? 

As for which QB I want, I don’t want a trade for a hasbeen or never was. There’s only two QBs that potentially could be traded for that I feel would be worth it. Watson and Russell Wilson.  And neither are a remote possibility. 

so that leaves FA or the draft. I’d be fine with a FA flyer but really, draft would be my preference. Who or when, I don’t care.

Archived