Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Depends on who you listen too, or what big boards or mocks you follow. Many are on the Wilson train simply because he played more. Many are still solidly on the Lance train because they see a higher ceiling. 

Personally, I see Lance as having both higher ceiling and bust potential. Wilson is likely safer, but also bust potential. 

Thats why I said hard to tell....

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

sorry, but no.

Taylor lost the starting job because the team doctor punctured his lung giving him a shot for pain.  Taylor missed about a month or more.   In the first few weeks,  the HC said repeatedly that Taylor would start when he was healthy.   But, to his credit, Herbert outperformed everyone’s expectations.  By the time Taylor was ready to play, Herbert had taken command of the job.  

But this wasn’t some grand master plan.  Herbert didn’t outperform Taylor because Taylor wasn’t even playing.   

This was a fluke.  A Hollywood script.   But this wasn’t a plan, and the normal competition never really happened. 

There was talk out of camp and in the locker room that Herbert was lighting sheet up from the get go.

If you believe everything a coach says, you shouldn't believe it now (or he would have kept his word and went back to Taylor).

This was no fluke. Happens all the time. Guys go down, and other guys take over. Guys that went down goes somewhere else. 

If you want specifics, he played one game. That game was a sub 30 QBR (super bad) against a bad team.  Herbert came in an averaged 300ish the next 5 games. Wasn't even close.

Poof, gone. Far from Hollywood script. It just quickened what was always going to happen.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

the AFCS will be better next year (than 2019), and our schedule will be harder in 2021. With all the potential turnover at LT, DEx2, CB, LB, WR, etc. no telling what would happen. 2021 is pure mystery to me right now.

There's a chance 75% of the QBs in South could all be different which is wild 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Precisely. Neither one of those guys is really worth a first. Ryan because age, and Stafford because of talent

Stronger arm but basically the same limitations. I don’t think Stafford drastically increases your chance at winning a Super Bowl. Help or no help, he’s been mostly above average during his career. I’m not trading a 1st for what is essentially a younger Phillip Rivers. At that point, you might as well just spend the two first round picks and get one of those top 4 QBs.

I really just don’t get the excitement around Stafford. 

I'm not excited about trading for any of the aforementioned QB's. Just saying Stafford has arm strength.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

There was talk out of camp and in the locker room that Herbert was lighting sheet up from the get go.

If you believe everything a coach says, you shouldn't believe it now (or he would have kept his word and went back to Taylor).

This was no fluke. Happens all the time. Guys go down, and other guys take over. Guys that went down goes somewhere else. 

If you want specifics, he played one game. That game was a sub 30 QBR (super bad) against a bad team.  Herbert came in an averaged 300ish the next 5 games. Wasn't even close.

Poof, gone. Far from Hollywood script. It just quickened what was always going to happen.

Taylor got Wally Pipped.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah this will be a fun/interesting offseason. I just think we have a good all-around team and JB went 7-7 technically in 2019. Had he not got injured we could've went 9-7 or so because I think we win the Miami game and possibly the Pitt game. That is a guess though. I fully believe with Matt Stafford we win 11 games.

We are losing (not lost, but FAs and possible loss) a ton of production and snaps. It's not so all-around good when you look at through a lens minus all the guys not currently under contract. No LT. No DEs. No CB1. No QB1 or 2. No WR1 or 2. No ILB. No TE2. 

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Thats why I said hard to tell....

what's your gut say

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

My first choice is Watson then Prescott, if we can get that lucky. If not names like Stafford, Mariota, and Garropalo come to mind.

Since I've been a Colts Fan since the mid 1950s- I have to want Jimmy g just so I can see my name as the Colts QB!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Taylor got Wally Pipped.

nah. he had a few mediocre years and that's it. he was never going to be the answer when Rivers left. he lucked out just to get the chance in the first place, and had bad luck getting hurt. it happens.

they lucked out with Herbert.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is super streaky. When he is good he is really good, when he is bad though, yuck. He is magical at times and fun to watch.

He'd be fun to watch burn out in a blaze of glory. I'll take him as a free, no strings attached stop gap, than a huge risk like Wentz every day, and 100 times on Sunday. Fitz a minimum would be a fun, one year roller coaster. Wentz could turn into a multi year cap sucking nightmare that sets us back several years. 

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only thing about Eason is, he isn't proven and Stafford is regarding having a few good seasons with a bad organization. If I am not mistaken, hasn't Stafford even thrown for 5000 yards in a season?

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A week ago Chris Ballard said he wasn’t certain Jacob Eason was ready to be the Colts BACKUP.

And way too many posters don’t seem to know that even though it’s been repeated here countless times. 

If it’s not clear Eason is ready to be the BACKUP then he’s Damn sure not ready to be the STARTER. 

Look...   I hope someday JE is our starter.  But it’s not happening in 2021.   Maybe ‘22, but not this year.   He’s not ready.  He needs more time.   

Of course Eason is unproven, and will continue to be unless he's given a shot.

If after an entire season spent on our active roster Jacob is still not even ready to be a backup, then he should be included in a trade with another team for a QB, and save us from having to include another draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If after an entire season spent on our active roster Jacob is still not even ready to be a backup, then he should be included in a trade with another team for a QB, and save us from having to include another draft pick.

Why would Colts throw in only QB on roster in trade?

Ballard's in a kind of awkward situation--kinda "win now" with his non-QB roster, but sorta "rebuild" post-Luck. IMO none of the QBs listed (ignoring the parallel-universe possibility of getting Watson) give the Colts exactly what they need.

Personally I wouldn't give up a 1st round for Stafford at this point in his career, and I absolutely wouldn't give one up for Wentz or Darnold. I'm not interested in helping the Eagles or Jets solve their own QB problems, but if Stafford could be obtained with multiple lower-round choices (2nd round in 2021 and 2022? something similar?) instead of giving up a #1 then I'd be interested.

Nor would I spend #21 on an Alabama QB like Jones--yes, his accuracy at the NCAA level was excellent, but he was throwing to wide-open future 1st round WRs going against college defenses. I didn't see anything from him to convince me he can do the same thing vs. much tighter windows in the NFL, especially with his arm talent. I'd much rather have Wilson, but I think he would cost too much. Lance would cost less, and could one day be elite, but probably not while the current roster is intact.

I almost think at this point that, if Detroit wouldn't go for a Stafford-for-2nd round in 2021 and 2022 trade, then the Colts might be better off trying to sign Fitzpatrick and spend another year really scrutinizing Eason as a backup. My fear is that Reich might convince Ballard to give up too much for Wentz instead.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why would Colts throw in only QB on roster in trade?

if he's not ready to be a backup after a year of learning from Rivers and a great locker room leader, not sure about his upside in general. 

personally i think the talk could have coach/gm-speak just to set things up to possibly bring JB back as a backup for another year.

but who knows. either he's truly not ready to be a backup, or CB/FR are wasting rook contract years. not great either way.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

if he's not ready to be a backup after a year of learning from Rivers and a great locker room leader, not sure about his upside in general. 

personally i think the talk could have coach/gm-speak just to set things up to possibly bring JB back as a backup for another year.

but who knows. either he's truly not ready to be a backup, or CB/FR are wasting rook contract years. not great either way.

The question then becomes who is the backup

Lets say Eason is included in Watson or Stafford or Wentz yuck trade they would be the only active QB.

If anything just keep Eason as backup at that point.

14 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Yours is the view of a fan who has quickly decided he’s tired of yesterday’s new toy.

But a good NFL GM is patient.  He knows a QB that isn’t ready in 2021, might be ready in 2022.   

Eason barely hit any practice time this year.  Nothing in the spring — covid.  Nothing in the summer — covid.  No pre-season games because of Covid. 

And during the regular season, 109 percent of practice went to Rivers and Brissett.   Eason got a small amount if practice afterwards with the QB coach — Brady.  

There’s no way he should be ready right now. He is where he should be. 

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We are losing (not lost, but FAs and possible loss) a ton of production and snaps. It's not so all-around good when you look at through a lens minus all the guys not currently under contract. No LT. No DEs. No CB1. No QB1 or 2. No WR1 or 2. No ILB. No TE2. 

what's your gut say

My gut says if the draft were tomorrow , Wilson goes top 4 and Lance goes top 12. My gut also says that Lance is special and by draft day could be right behind Lawerence. I agree with you that Lance is the better prospect but hoping we have a shot at drafting him. Could probably take our 2021 1st and second and a 2022 second if we didn't have to move above 12.  Chances are he's notbeven on our radar as I'm always wrong on this stuff .

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

My gut says if the draft were tomorrow , Wilson goes top 4 and Lance goes top 12. My gut also says that Lance is special and by draft day could be right behind Lawerence. I agree with you that Lance is the better prospect but hoping we have a shot at drafting him. Could probably take our 2021 1st and second and a 2022 second if we didn't have to move above 12.  Chances are he's notbeven on our radar as I'm always wrong on this stuff .

I think Jets keep Darnold and Falcons stick with Ryan.

Jaguars Lawrence

Lions Fields

Panthers Wilson 

49ers Lance 

Colts Jones 

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

nah. he had a few mediocre years and that's it. he was never going to be the answer when Rivers left. he lucked out just to get the chance in the first place, and had bad luck getting hurt. it happens.

they lucked out with Herbert.

Do you know the story of Wally Pipp?

Because that's basically what I just said my man haha!

16 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Lets say Eason is included in Watson or Stafford or Wentz yuck trade they would be the only active QB.

If Eason isn't even ready to be a backup and we need to trade to acquire our next starting quarterback, adding Eason to the mix would save us the mid round draft pick (or maybe 2) that we would've had to include in the deal. There are plenty of journeyman QBs who can be signed on the cheap to be our #2 at that point.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yours is the view of a fan who has quickly decided he’s tired of yesterday’s new toy.

But a good NFL GM is patient.  He knows a QB that isn’t ready in 2021, might be ready in 2022.   

Eason barely hit any practice time this year.  Nothing in the spring — covid.  Nothing in the summer — covid.  No pre-season games because of Covid. 

And during the regular season, 109 percent of practice went to Rivers and Brissett.   Eason got a small amount if practice afterwards with the QB coach — Brady.  

I haven't tired of Eason like he's a new toy, my preference would be for Philip to return and Jacob to be the #2 behind him for a season without Jacoby taking practice snaps and garbage playing time away from him. That's  not gonna happen and people are suggesting that he's not even ready to be a backup after an entire season here and since we now need a starting quarterback, if Eason isn't even ready to be a backup, much less a future stater for us, then it's  better to cut bait with him sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I haven't tired of Eason like he's a new toy, my preference would be for Philip to return and Jacob to be the #2 behind him for a season without Jacoby taking practice snaps and garbage playing time away from him. That's  not gonna happen and people are suggesting that he's not even ready to be a backup after an entire season here and since we now need a starting quarterback, if Eason isn't even ready to be a backup, much less a future stater for us, then it's  better to cut bait with him sooner rather than later. 

He might be our starting quarterback next year.    And he might be our backup in 3-4 months.

But you’re ready to get rid of him right now.  I confess I don’t understand that.   If he has little value to us,  he’s not going to have much value to anyone else. 

35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Eason isn't going to bring you much if anything, so don't even include him in a Watson deal. Certainly won't be the final nail either way. 

He might be a cherry on top for a Stafford or Wentz deal if someone specifically liked him in the draft. But don't hold your breath. 

If he's not ready, he's not ready. Toss him on the PS or ditch him. Only keep him if your really think he's truly just a year away (from starter, not backup). There's a glut of available ready made backup guys nowadays. Take a look at sportrac and take your pick. 

All this doesn't make much sense. If he's not close to being a backup, no reason to keep him on the 53, which is what they did. It's exactly why I don't hang on the words of GMs and Coaches like so many do.

37 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Do you know the story of Wally Pipp?

Because that's basically what I just said my man haha!

Wally was a great power hitter. He just wasn't a phenom like LG. 

In no way would I compare WP to Taylor.

I know most say that when they mean "he got screwed", but either way, I know what you're talking about. I just don't think it's a good analogy. WP was much better than Taylor, and LG is many layers above LAC's new golden boy.

46 minutes ago, dw49 said:

IMO, Ballard likely already has his plan firmly scratched in sand.

I have an odd feeling there was a not so loving meeting with Ballard and PR. If so, CB knows what he wants to do. Not saying he's already got something locked up, just that he's working the problem/plan.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He might be our starting quarterback next year.    And he might be our backup in 3-4 months.

But you’re ready to get rid of him right now.  I confess I don’t understand that.   If he has little value to us,  he’s not going to have much value to anyone else. 

You're kinda making my point, I  think Eason could possibly be our starter next season, but if as others suggest that he's not even ready to be a backup after a year in our system learning from pros like Philip, Jacoby & Frank, then we could be wasting our time with him, especially in an offseason in which we have several other needs.

I don't want to get rid of Jacob Eason, I want to utilize him but if that's not plausible because he's  so far behind, we may need to move on, especially since we'll need another QB anyway.

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You do realize this whole narrative doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. Not good enough to be a backup, but good enough to keep on the 53.

2. Picked because the QB situation was highly questionable after year one, but wasn't prepped enough to be at least a backup...

3. Ballard says not ready to be a backup, and talks about possible drafting this year.

Sorry, but if Ballard is telling the truth, they either failed to prep/develop him, he's not what they thought, or it's coach/GM-speak or misdirection. If they view his ceiling as starter, they failed in year one in the development process. If they view him as perhaps a backup in year 3, they failed in scouting (you don't waste 2 years roster time on a maybe backup). Just not a lot of good common sense. Long game on just a backup who takes a roster spot for 3 years only to be ready when it's time for a new contract. Or maybe a starter in year 4... lol

Lots of love for Stafford, and blindly rolling the dice for Eason. 

Not near the love for Rivers I expected after a top 10 year with zero pre-season...

And lot's of confidence in Ballard. This will be the year he rocks the world, or people tear down their shrines.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You do realize this whole narrative doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. Not good enough to be a backup, but good enough to keep on the 53.

2. Picked because the QB situation was highly questionable after year one, but wasn't prepped enough to be at least a backup...

3. Ballard says not ready to be a backup, and talks about possible drafting this year.

Sorry, but if Ballard is telling the truth, they either failed to prep/develop him, he's not what they thought, or it's coach/GM-speak or misdirection. If they view his ceiling as starter, they failed in year one in the development process. If they view him as perhaps a backup in year 3, they failed in scouting (you don't waste 2 years roster time on a maybe backup). Just not a lot of good common sense. Long game on just a backup who takes a roster spot for 3 years only to be ready when it's time for a new contract. Or maybe a starter in year 4... lol

I didn't hear Ballard's comment, but heard(from a Kevin Bowen podcast) that Ballard was 'bullish' on Eason.

If Ballard did say 'not ready to be backup', could he be trying to provoke Eason into studying and doing his homework?

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Lots of love for Stafford, and blindly rolling the dice for Eason. 

Not near the love for Rivers I expected after a top 10 year with zero pre-season...

And lot's of confidence in Ballard. This will be the year he rocks the world, or people tear down their shrines.

I don't really love Stafford, but I'd put him ahead of Wentz and Darnold (and I don't personally think any of the 3 is worth a 1st round pick--pair of 2nds, maybe, but not a 1st)

Going with Eason or moving up for Lance tells me, even with the Colts' OL and defense, that it's truly a rebuild at this point.

8 minutes ago, waterdog said:

I didn't hear Ballard's comment, but heard(from a Kevin Bowen podcast) that Ballard was 'bullish' on Eason.

If Ballard did say 'not ready to be backup', could he be trying to provoke Eason into studying and doing his homework?

@NewColtsFan said that Ballard said he wasn't ready to be a backup. I heard something somewhat similar from a bud, but not near clear cut as how NCF presented it. I trust NCF not to spread blatant lies, so will give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Like I said in an early post, I don't hang on everything the coaches say like many do. IMO, drink half of what they say. The other half, fill with Crown or a good Pinot Noir and your own common sense.

42 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

You're kinda making my point, I  think Eason could possibly be our starter next season, but if as others suggest that he's not even ready to be a backup after a year in our system learning from pros like Philip, Jacoby & Frank, then we could be wasting our time with him, especially in an offseason in which we have several other needs.

I don't want to get rid of Jacob Eason, I want to utilize him but if that's not plausible because he's  so far behind, we may need to move on, especially since we'll need another QB anyway.

I’m not making your point at all.   Not even a little bit. 

There’s a disconnect here.   Jacob Eason was not supposed to be ready by now after covid blew up the off season.  I’ve been writing this for months.   Your expectations aren’t close to being realistic.   You need to stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a General Manager.   Once you do that, things will fall into place and make sense.    

Beyond that.....   we’re going to have to agree to disagree.     Good luck.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not making your point at all.   Not even a little bit. 

There’s a disconnect here.   Jacob Eason was not supposed to be ready by now after covid blew up the off season.  I’ve been writing this for months.   Your expectations aren’t close to being realistic.   You need to stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a General Manager.   Once you do that, things will fall into place and make sense.    

Beyond that.....   we’re going to have to agree to disagree.     Good luck.  

I don't think many expected him to be a stone cold starter now. Love and Morgan haven't seen reps either. But saying he's not ready to be a backup kinda drops a bowling ball on the toe of optimism. 

Archived