Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts lose every tie-breaker

coltsorioles

Because the colts went 4-0 they will lose every tie-breaker because of conference record.  Even for example if they beat the raiders and end a 3 way tie with another team like say Baltimore or Miami the colts will be the lowest ranked team.   As far as division tie breaker goes with Tennessee they need the titans to lose to either the jags or texans then the colts must win all 3 divisional games and still have to have more quality wins which right now the titans are ahead. So 11-5 gets in. 10-6 might , 9-7 will not

1 minute ago, coltsorioles said:

Because the colts went 4-0 they will lose every tie-breaker because of conference record.  Even for example if they beat the raiders and end a 3 way tie with another team like say Baltimore or Miami the colts will be the lowest ranked team.   As far as division tie breaker goes with Tennessee they need the titans to lose to either the jags or texans then the colts must win all 3 divisional games and still have to have more quality wins which right now the titans are ahead. So 11-5 gets in. 10-6 might , 9-7 will not

thumbs brent GIF

4 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

We just need to finish with a better record than the Dolphins and Raiders which is reasonable. We need to beat the Raiders. Dolphins have a brutal schedule, I can see them going 9-7. I think 10-6 gets us in.

This was the huge game and the colts were asleep.  It embarrassing. hope for the best but this was their chance to not have to fret over the raiders etc.....out coached, outplayed, etc.

Its on the past.  Whatever path there is to the playoffs now I have little confidence the colts can seize it......2nd place in AFC south probably wont cut it.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we beat the Raiders and finish 10-6 I think everything will be fine. I guess we will have to wait and see. That Raiders game is huge.

Maybe, but we would need help at 10-6. To control our own destiny, we need to get to 11-5 IMO.

The bad game plan and poor performance vs Jags in week 1 is looming large about now.

I did some research.  Only a few times in the modern era (1970's on) since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule has a team with 10 wins NOT made the playoffs.  Ironically, and as Brady's luck would have it, one of the most recent was the year Brady got his knee caved in in Week 1 and Matt Cassel led New England to a 10-win season and they missed out due to the Jets winning the division and the AFC being top-heavy.  And this was with only 6 teams gettin in.  Now we get 7.  It would be a MAJOR coup if a 10-win team doesn't make it this year.  Many of these teams will play each other that are fighting for spots so it will work itself out. 

Now, we're sitting at 7 wins now.  Basically, to get to 10 we need to sweep the Texans (doable) and beat the Jags at home in the finale (very doable).  We could still lose to the Raiders (possible) and Steelers (highly likely......unless they aren't perfect anymore) if we just do that.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  And keep in mind, COVID could benefit the team just as much as it hurt them this week.  It's a very fluid year, you never know what may happen.

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I did some research.  Only a few times in the modern era (1970's on) since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule has a team with 10 wins NOT made the playoffs.  Ironically, and as Brady's luck would have it, one of the most recent was the year Brady got his knee caved in in Week 1 and Matt Cassel led New England to a 10-win season and they missed out due to the Jets winning the division and the AFC being top-heavy.  And this was with only 6 teams gettin in.  Now we get 7.  It would be a MAJOR coup if a 10-win team doesn't make it this year.  Many of these teams will play each other that are fighting for spots so it will work itself out. 

Now, we're sitting at 7 wins now.  Basically, to get to 10 we need to sweep the Texans (doable) and beat the Jags at home in the finale (very doable).  We could still lose to the Raiders (possible) and Steelers (highly likely......unless they aren't perfect anymore) if we just do that.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  And keep in mind, COVID could benefit the team just as much as it hurt them this week.  It's a very fluid year, you never know what may happen.

Teams that win 10 games get in 90% of the time but we even have a better chance because 7 teams get in this year. Only 2 teams in the history of the NFL didn't get in winning 11, that was the 85 Broncos when only 5 teams got in and the 2008 Pats. Teams that win 11 get in 98% of the time.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we beat the Raiders and finish 10-6 I think everything will be fine. I guess we will have to wait and see. That Raiders game is huge.

Yes, that Raiders game is huge. Hopefully the Ravens crash and burn and the Browns take care of their next head-to-head, though unlikely. After the Steelers game, the Ravens might run the table to win 4 straight from 6-6 to go 10-6. That would mean the Browns lose to the Steelers, Titans and Ravens to go 10-6 as well. 

We can at best go 10-6 and afford a loss to the Steelers and 1 more team not named the Raiders to make the playoffs. Then, we become KC, Pats and Bills fans to give Dolphins 7 losses.

Bottom line, things are out of our hands right now, to be honest.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that Raiders game is huge. Hopefully the Ravens crash and burn and the Browns take care of their next head-to-head, though unlikely. After the Steelers game, the Ravens might run the table to win 4 straight from 6-6 to go 10-6. That would mean the Browns lose to the Steelers, Titans and Ravens to go 10-6 as well. 

We can at best go 10-6 and afford a loss to the Steelers and 1 more team not named the Raiders to make the playoffs. Then, we become KC, Pats and Bills fans to give Dolphins 7 losses.

Bottom line, things are out of our hands right now, to be honest.

Raiders had a worse showing against a much worse team.

Anyone know the story there?  How the Hell did that happen? 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Raiders had a worse showing against a much worse team.

Anyone know the story there?  How the Hell did that happen? 

The Falcons have been a better team since Dan Quinn was fired, 4-2 in particular after their 0-5 start. So, they were better than advertised. The casual fan that does not follow them thought those guys are easy pickings and the Raiders got punched in the mouth and weren't ready for it, that is my best guess. 

Familiarity with the Chiefs and their biggest bright spots were the 2 games against the Chiefs, now they are back to the back and forth Raiders. Just goes to show you when a young QB like Mahomes finds a way to win close games like Brady and Peyton did to win their divisions so many years in a row (and Big Ben when healthy), you realize that QB understands to never let up, no matter the opponent. That separates the cream of the crop from the 2nd tier QBs.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Teams that win 10 games get in 90% of the time but we even have a better chance because 7 teams get in this year. Only 2 teams in the history of the NFL didn't get in winning 11, that was the 85 Broncos when only 5 teams got in and the 2008 Pats. Teams that win 11 get in 98% of the time.

I agree.

Archived