Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think most of you will appreciate this

danlhart87

I'm very optimistic about Taylor and even with his recent struggles I think the kid can turn things around. 

One of the biggest under appreciated facets of Taylor game that I have noticed is making the most of balls thrown his way. 

He's currently 3rd in the NFL in reception percentage catching an astounding 22 out 23 balls thrown his way.

Make some noise for the kid cause that's impressive. 

Its 95.6 % 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm very optimistic about Taylor and even with his recent struggles I think the kid can turn things around. 

One of the biggest under appreciated facets of Taylor game that I have noticed is making the most of balls thrown his way. 

He's currently 3rd in the NFL in reception percentage catching an astounding 22 out 23 balls thrown his way.

Its 95.6 % 

He doesn't  get used enough  in the passing game  or running  game and we he does it's predictable  play calling 

I agree with you both.  But I'm going to make the assumption that the coaches know what they're doing when it comes to how they use him.

I guess we should appreciate that they don't feel the pressure to use him simply because he was a high draft pick.

They always did say they go with the hot hand.  Surely that was Hines last night.  Plus, I still don't think Taylor is a patient runner yet.  You can see both Hines and Wilkins wait for the hole.  IMO, Taylor has the most natural talent.  Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting to the Colts line and the NFL.

I have to assume they're still working his pass pro which is often the case with the rooks.  Not like he did a ton of that in the run heavy scheme with the Badgers and he's gotta show well without the ball to get that playing time.

I will admit I didn't like him being sat like that after the fumble the other game.  But all coaches have their quirks so whatever.

Going forward Hines will be the passing game threat who can run it well enough to keep a defense honest.  And Taylor will be the run game threat who can catch it well enough to keep a defense honest.  Once Taylor gets up to speed the offense is going to benefit.  He isn't some guy where you're hoping lightning will strike.  He's got the tools and the experience to seriously threaten defenses and give the offense a shot in the arm.

I'm not a huge fan of Taylor but one thing I do see is that the screens to him work really well. He doesn't have the vision and timing to be a good NFL rb yet but give him the ball in some space and let that speed and power go to work. Also I hate the shotgun runs to him. That isn't his game at all.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, danlhart87 said:

Its 95.6 % 

Need to get him the ball out in space

Colts need to abandon the two tight end jumbo sets for short yardage on the goal line. Everyone knows your going to run it between the tackles. There is no threat from the pass or running wide. another poster mentioned running "in a phone booth" formation.

It really doesn't work between the 20's either. All the running backs are shifty and fast, they just get bogged down behind 2 tons of humanity. When they spread it out there are more running lanes. From thursdays game, this was the only flaw I saw with the play calling. Is Rivers too old to play under center? I think running from the I formation would benefit the rb"s chances. How can you play action pass effectively when the two players stand side by side?

On 11/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, danlhart87 said:

Its 95.6 % 

I mean it's a high percentage but...

Massively small sample size

And RBs tend to have a high catch %, because a lot of their "catches" aren't exactly in the same ballpark as the ones WRs, say, have to make. 

In short, nice stat, but means not a lot.

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean it's a high percentage but...

Massively small sample size

And RBs tend to have a high catch %, because a lot of their "catches" aren't exactly in the same ballpark as the ones WRs, say, have to make. 

In short, nice stat, but means not a lot.

He's making the most of the opportunities given

On 11/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, danlhart87 said:

Its 95.6 % 

Yes and Hines is our leading receiver. So who does Frank throw it to on 4th? Wilkins who fumbled. 

Archived