Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich needs to step up his game

Hoose

10 hours ago, ColtV said:

I would argue that it only becomes a great challenge if he wins the challenge. Like the 4th down call that led to the first touchdown was a great call because it was successful.

You lose that  challenge and you're out a timeout and a challenge with 59 minutes to go, that puts you a team in a very disadvantageous position. Then with the failed challenge in the 2nd quarter, and the Colts are then left with 34 game minutes where they couldn't challenge a play. We can look back now and say there were no other calls that were challenge-worthy, but we didnt know it with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Reich challenged 8 calls last year and got 2 overturned.  He's 0 for 2 this year. I know he wants to be aggressive, but if it doesn't lead to success, what good is his aggressiveness?

He was correct that the runner never hit the ground and the whistle didn't sound before the ball came loose. There was a clear recovery by the Colts. Should have been Colt ball at the 25 yard line as it was pretty clear the runner never actually hit the ground.

So according to you , Reich should have known the camera angles would be poor ? It's like a poker player raising  his opponent with the better hand , only to lose with his opponent hitting a 2 outer. The play was correct , just a bad result. 

That said the 2nd challenge was poor.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Im actually starting to wonder if our secondary is overrated. Browns WRs made some impossible to defend catches at times, but by and large, they owned us on 3rd down efficiency. We really should have blitzed more to start the game. I was wondering why we weren't and Reich just stuck with the game plan. Because, why not?

The pass defense in the first half was the worst I have seen in a long time.  Zero pressure and Reich didn't adjust till halftime.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

The pass defense in the first half was the worst I have seen in a long time.  Zero pressure and Reich didn't adjust till halftime.  

Well not that long, it’s the same way they played the jags and what do you know the same result!  Almost like it doesn’t work...  at least he got out of it at halftime this time.

33 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

What happened to Moe Cox ?

One target ? Rivers was developing some good chemistry with him.

Now Burton returning has completely destroyed any chemistry they had

I think the browns were keying to take him away.  Also, they were keeping a tight end in more to help with pass protection.  

17 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

How about the phantom holding call on Nelson. Simply flipped him aside like a rag doll . Didn't take hardly a second.

It really felt like they were just looking to make up calls, like my dad said to me "They just want to see the Browns win"

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The sad thing is I think for the most part they really do have the best of what’s out there.  If you watch college or replacement refs they are much worse.  On top of that they have lost some of their best refs over the past few years and just like replacing Peyton Manning that’s easier said than done.

And while true, they need them to be better than they have. Like first couple weeks you can understand since they didnt get any time in Preseason this year. But now in the 2nd QTR they gotta show better than they have, at least on clear cut calls. The Chop Block has been illegal for years, and the ref was looking right in the direction

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

So according to you , Reich should have known the camera angles would be poor ? It's like a poker player raising  his opponent with the better hand , only to lose with his opponent hitting a 2 outer. The play was correct , just a bad result. 

According to me, if you are throwing out your first challenge flag with 59 minutes left in the game, that better be 100% guarantee you are winning that challenge. In that analogy you presented, Frank put in half his chips on the opening round. This kind of bet is exacerbated by the fact that, based on his time as a head coach, he loses that bet over 70% of the time. 

15 minutes ago, ColtV said:

According to me, if you are throwing out your first challenge flag with 59 minutes left in the game, that better be 100% guarantee you are winning that challenge. In that analogy you presented, Frank put in half his chips on the opening round. This kind of bet is exacerbated by the fact that, based on his time as a head coach, he loses that bet over 70% of the time. 

You make little sense . The challenge was good as it would stop a Cleveland drive and give the ball to Indy just outside the redone. The fact that he was correct and Indy was screwed from bad camera angles seems to escape you. Furthermore , Indy did not need the first half TO they lost , so it was inconsequential . The bad challenge was the second one not the first . 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It really felt like they were just looking to make up calls, like my dad said to me "They just want to see the Browns win"

And while true, they need them to be better than they have. Like first couple weeks you can understand since they didnt get any time in Preseason this year. But now in the 2nd QTR they gotta show better than they have, at least on clear cut calls. The Chop Block has been illegal for years, and the ref was looking right in the direction

Yeah I am going to defend them.  Just saying I don’t think there is anyone better out there to go get.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Refs flat out stunk yesterday. If I were a coach i would probably get fined every week :banana:

Play-calling is my biggest concern at this point.  We've seen the vertical passing game work in every game, but we go away from it after we score early.  And where the heck is MAC?

The safety yesterday was the worst though.  On our own goal line, we knew we couldn't block the pass rush, and Reich has Rivers drop back deep in the end zone.  Absolutely stupid call.

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

You make little sense . The challenge was good as it would stop a Cleveland drive and give the ball to Indy just outside the redone. The fact that he was correct and Indy was screwed from bad camera angles seems to escape you. Furthermore , Indy did not need the first half TO they lost , so it was inconsequential . The bad challenge was the second one not the first . 

You are soooooo right. I think it was the condescension in your reply that really convinced me. 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Hoose said:

Say what you will about Rivers’ shortcomings and how it has impacted the O. IMO, Reich is the biggest culprit for the offensive problems. I personally believe that the play calling for the Colts has absolutely stunk. Especially in the red zone. But also because they are so predictable. I’m sure there are many who will disagree. But the main reason for the Colts’ offensive issues is the man calling the plays. He HAS to open things up. Pass the ball more. Be far less predictable. This “run the damn ball” mantra works if the pass game is clicking. So change things up to

help the run game be more successful. The Browns are a decent defensive team. Not great. But they shut down the Colts today and that should send alarm bells to the coaching staff. Especially since the Browns  just lost by 30 points to the Ravens. I said should send alarm bells.  I’m not confident it will. 

Rivers owns big pieces of our losses, but so did Reich's play calling/game-plan/personnel-use, and so did the D and D game plan. I know everyone ignores the bad when we win, but there's been plenty of bad in the wins in terms of play calling. It's simply easier for people to focus in on the INTs. 

Folks forget this is only Reich's second stint as play caller. In LA, Reich had the worst balance in the league and didn't last long as OC. He then moved to Philly, where he was not allowed to call plays (Pederson did). Looking at his entire history of impacts to coaching (player behind Kelly, Whisenhunt's prodigy who is a sub 500 HC, and at Philly where he didn't call plays), I'm really not sure who he is.

Archived