Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich needs to step up his game

Hoose

Say what you will about Rivers’ shortcomings and how it has impacted the O. IMO, Reich is the biggest culprit for the offensive problems. I personally believe that the play calling for the Colts has absolutely stunk. Especially in the red zone. But also because they are so predictable. I’m sure there are many who will disagree. But the main reason for the Colts’ offensive issues is the man calling the plays. He HAS to open things up. Pass the ball more. Be far less predictable. This “run the damn ball” mantra works if the pass game is clicking. So change things up to

help the run game be more successful. The Browns are a decent defensive team. Not great. But they shut down the Colts today and that should send alarm bells to the coaching staff. Especially since the Browns  just lost by 30 points to the Ravens. I said should send alarm bells.  I’m not confident it will. 

12 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Challenging the 1st play from scrimmage has got to be something he looks back on and says "wth did I do that for?"

Because it was a fumble and should have been Colts ball deep in Browns territory.  Given the offenses struggles you should challenge any play that would give you the ball deep in their territory that the refs miss.

24 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Challenging the 1st play from scrimmage has got to be something he looks back on and says "wth did I do that for?"

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because it was a fumble and should have been Colts ball deep in Browns territory.  Given the offenses struggles you should challenge any play that would give you the ball deep in their territory that the refs miss.

As GoColts said, it should have been. The announcers and Gene even agreed which says a lot. The refs' crew was absolute garbage today. The Browns do not play a clean game, 2 penalties? On the second TD drive, on the OBJ catch the Reich challenged (he should never have challenged that one), but they missed an obvious chop block. Guy was engaged with the linemen, then legs taken out by another guy. Saw ref go for flag before throw but then no flag

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As GoColts said, it should have been. The announcers and Gene even agreed which says a lot. The refs' crew was absolute garbage today. The Browns do not play a clean game, 2 penalties? On the second TD drive, on the OBJ catch the Reich challenged (he should never have challenged that one), but they missed an obvious chop block. Guy was engaged with the linemen, then legs taken out by another guy. Saw ref go for flag before throw but then no flag

I’ll even say the play where the Colts jumped off-sides and drilled Baker should have been blown dead as unabated to the QB.  That’s why that’s there to prevent QBs from taking hits like Baker did.  This crew was just awful. 

The defense played well enough to keep the browns under 30 points. 

I feel like rivers helped the other team more than this team. Im sure he feels the same way. 

The defense played well enough to keep the browns under 30 points. 

I feel like rivers helped the other team more than this team. Im sure he feels the same way. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll even say the play where the Colts jumped off-sides and drilled Baker should have been blown dead as unabated to the QB.  That’s why that’s there to prevent QBs from taking hits like Baker did.  This crew was just awful. 

Ya, it was. They miss so many calls, and just didnt do anything to protect guys. I wish the NFL actually cared about officials doing bad, but they dont. 

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ya, it was. They miss so many calls, and just didnt do anything to protect guys. I wish the NFL actually cared about officials doing bad, but they dont. 

How about the phantom holding call on Nelson. Simply flipped him aside like a rag doll . Didn't take hardly a second.

11 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

The sad thing is I think for the most part they really do have the best of what’s out there.  If you watch college or replacement refs they are much worse.  On top of that they have lost some of their best refs over the past few years and just like replacing Peyton Manning that’s easier said than done.

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

It was a great challenge.

How was Reich to know the replay would not give a clear view that no body part touched the ground before the ball came out ? They could have called it a fumble as the replay pieced together made it fairly clear that was the case. IMO , the officials knew they blew this as they should have ruled the play was dead as forward progress was stopped. Instead they took advantage of the "questionable" inconclusive replay to correct their mistake. 

Also , after the second challenge , there was no need for another challenge which we lost. Add to that , the lost time was inconsequential. 

So, i hear a lot of this "Riech is SOOOO predictable." And thats fine. If thats so true, next game call the play and if you are right more than you are wrong, maybe anyone can listen and agree. But these complaints are super annoying when you look back in hindsight and tell us about it...dont care.

The biggest problem with the offense is the run game.  Coming into today, they were dead last in the league in YPC as a team with 3.5 and were only marginally better today at 3.8.   For comparison, last year, the team finished with a 4.5 YPC.  

If this is going to improve offensively, that is the area that has to get better significantly.  Other than AC missing today, the O-line has been intact and with the hype they have received and resources that have been utilized, they are not getting it done, There just is not a way to easily replace to receivers we have lost and its clear that Rivers has regressed from what he was even two years ago, so the way I see it, the passing game is going to be limited.  

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Say what you will about Rivers’ shortcomings and how it has impacted the O. IMO, Reich is the biggest culprit for the offensive problems. I personally believe that the play calling for the Colts has absolutely stunk. Especially in the red zone. But also because they are so predictable. I’m sure there are many who will disagree. But the main reason for the Colts’ offensive issues is the man calling the plays. He HAS to open things up. Pass the ball more. Be far less predictable. This “run the damn ball” mantra works if the pass game is clicking. So change things up to

help the run game be more successful. The Browns are a decent defensive team. Not great. But they shut down the Colts today and that should send alarm bells to the coaching staff. Especially since the Browns  just lost by 30 points to the Ravens. I said should send alarm bells.  I’m not confident it will. 

I'm confused.   I agree that Reich is an issue, but running the ball isn't the problem.  I think it was play selection that was the problem.  Example, run 6x in a row,  get into redzone,  then pass 3x... makes no sense.  Let me clarify,  running with JT is not the problem...

How about we pound the rock 20-25 with JT and see what happens.   If we still lose,  then so be it.   But between that and not adjusting our defense soon enough, it's gonna be real hard to win against mid to high caliber teams.  We held the offense to 3 points three the entire second half,  so we know we have the talent on D.

13 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I'm confused.   I agree that Reich is an issue, but running the ball isn't the problem.  I think it was play selection that was the problem.  Example, run 6x in a row,  get into redzone,  then pass 3x... makes no sense.  Let me clarify,  running with JT is not the problem...

I groan anytime Hines comes in and they line up in shotgun.  If I know what’s coming so does the defense.  In fairness they only ran that play once today.  

I think Taylor needs to get some more carries.  Especially in the redzone.  I think your point about the play calling is spot on.  I also think frank out thinks himself by think running with Taylor there is too obvious.  Yet it’s been effective if you get creative like they did on Taylor’s TD today.

I also think archaletta made a rare good point today when he talked about what they are missing with Mack and that’s the feel he has for the oline blocking.  Taylor just doesn’t have that yet.   

1 hour ago, SR711 said:

The biggest problem with the offense is the run game.  Coming into today, they were dead last in the league in YPC as a team with 3.5 and were only marginally better today at 3.8.   For comparison, last year, the team finished with a 4.5 YPC.  

If this is going to improve offensively, that is the area that has to get better significantly.  Other than AC missing today, the O-line has been intact and with the hype they have received and resources that have been utilized, they are not getting it done, There just is not a way to easily replace to receivers we have lost and its clear that Rivers has regressed from what he was even two years ago, so the way I see it, the passing game is going to be limited.  

But.....but Nelson has changed the attitude of this O line and therefore picking him #6 was worth it.  I said this O line has not been the same since they fired their previous O line coach. Way over hyped .

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

Pass the ball more?  We’re 0-2 when we “pass the ball more”. 

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

It was a great challenge.

I would argue that it only becomes a great challenge if he wins the challenge. Like the 4th down call that led to the first touchdown was a great call because it was successful.

You lose that  challenge and you're out a timeout and a challenge with 59 minutes to go, that puts you a team in a very disadvantageous position. Then with the failed challenge in the 2nd quarter, and the Colts are then left with 34 game minutes where they couldn't challenge a play. We can look back now and say there were no other calls that were challenge-worthy, but we didnt know it with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Reich challenged 8 calls last year and got 2 overturned.  He's 0 for 2 this year. I know he wants to be aggressive, but if it doesn't lead to success, what good is his aggressiveness?

I agree with a lot of this.

Mo was the hottest TE in the game for a couple weeks and, for whatever reason, this coaching staff KNOWS Burton is 1000 times better than Mo so they've shelved the hottest TE in the league for what? (1 target for Mo, 6 for Burton). Not only is this disappointing as a fan but this, IMO, is just another example of this staff showing a true meritocracy doesn't exist on this team. Just ask Vinny about that.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I groan anytime Hines comes in and they line up in shotgun.  If I know what’s coming so does the defense.  In fairness they only ran that play once today.  

I think Taylor needs to get some more carries.  Especially in the redzone.  I think your point about the play calling is spot on.  I also think frank out thinks himself by think running with Taylor there is too obvious.  Yet it’s been effective if you get creative like they did on Taylor’s TD today.

I also think archaletta made a rare good point today when he talked about what they are missing with Mack and that’s the feel he has for the oline blocking.  Taylor just doesn’t have that yet.   

Yeah, Taylor doesnt have Elite vision yet, but neither did Mack at first.  It took time.  Just like they made Ya Sin just figure it, I think they need to allow JT to figure it out.  I saw on a couple of run plays JT made an adjustment and gained a few extra yards.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

You guys really need to chill out about losing.  

It happens.  

I still like Reich as our HC and I still like Rivers as the QB for the time being.  

I feel the same.  

But there is plenty of blame to go around.  Rivers has had issues.  

Play calling has been mostly poor this season.

Not sure what Hines was thinking taking a fair catch at the 4.   He then took another questionable fair catch.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I feel the same.  

But there is plenty of blame to go around.  Rivers has had issues.  

Play calling has been mostly poor this season.

Not sure what Hines was thinking taking a fair catch at the 4.   He then took another questionable fair catch.  

There has been some questionable play calling.  There has also been some good play calling at times.  

Rivers had issues but a big part is protection.  He did fine against the Bears. . . didn't turn the ball over and they had Mack.  What happened in this game. . . he didn't have protection.  Rivers isn't a QB who can do well without protection.  That's something we knew when we signed him.  But QB's who can do well behind questionable protection and carry a team. . . they are very hard to find.  It's not like you can just snap one of them up in free agency.  

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

There has been some questionable play calling.  There has also been some good play calling at times.  

Rivers had issues but a big part is protection.  He did fine against the Bears. . . didn't turn the ball over and they had Mack.  What happened in this game. . . he didn't have protection.  Rivers isn't a QB who can do well without protection.  That's something we knew when we signed him.  But QB's who can do well behind questionable protection and carry a team. . . they are very hard to find.  It's not like you can just snap one of them up in free agency.  

You mean Maholmes isn't sitting on a practice squad?

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

You mean Maholmes isn't sitting on a practice squad?

That's another thing though.  Even that guy threw a pick last week that potentially cost his team the game. 

There is a point where you start saying things need to change after a trend, but fans just get way too emotional after losing.  I swear if you ask half the fans here after every loss they just want to blow up the team and start over.   

On the safety- you have a backup (poor) LT playing against on of the best D ends in the game.  You’re going to be throwing from the end zone.  You have an immobile QB.

Okay, a pass may not have been expected, so I can’t fault that.  But for goodness sakes, make it a quick dump off to the RB or TE.  Not a long route.  

Reich shouldn’t be making those kinds of rookie head coach mistakes by now.  

5 hours ago, basketballsteve said:

Reich is a .500 coach. He was a .500 coach yesterday, he's a .500 coach today, he'll be a .500 coach tomorrow. The talent of the roster of this team (with the exception of the wide outs) is a lot higher than .500.

Im actually starting to wonder if our secondary is overrated. Browns WRs made some impossible to defend catches at times, but by and large, they owned us on 3rd down efficiency. We really should have blitzed more to start the game. I was wondering why we weren't and Reich just stuck with the game plan. Because, why not?

14 hours ago, ColtV said:

a player probably told him to challenge that.  i think it was a fumble but there was no camera angle to say when exactly he was down 

Archived