Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Get 3 Compensatory Picks [Merge]

Better than I expected. Completely takes away the risk of trading down for Justice and Stanton (which actually nets us three players from one draft pick).

I assume that 7th round compensatory is a result of the balancing at the end of the draft. If there's any remainder left over after awarding compensatories, they give out more until they equal 32. So, if they gave out 25 compensatory draft picks, they'd give out 7 more to equal a total of 32 compensatory draft picks. And they do that in draft order, so in the 7th round, we'd get the first remaining compensatory draft pick.

For Session, CJ and Bob Sanders??? The 3 comp picks???

Bob Sanders was released. Session and CJ. I believe the third comp pick was a remainder pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft

For Session, CJ and Bob Sanders??? The 3 comp picks???

Colts released Bob Sanders, who we dont get a comp pick for him. I am guessing since we were the worst team in the league last season we were awarded an extra pick.

Next year we can get comp picks for Saturday, Tamme, Garcon, Anderson, possibly Phillip Wheeler.

Woah now, don't get too ahead of yourself. I doubt we get anything for Anderson. He didn't count against us for this year so I doubt we get anything for him next year. We might get a late round pick for Tamme but I wouldn't hold my breath. Same goes for Wheeler assuming we don't re-sign him.

Anyone catch the contract details for Saturday's deal with Green Bay?

**edit, and here's the link I forgot to include in my last post. :) lol

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827e13f2/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-23-clubs?module=HP11_headline_stack

We also signed a bunch of them too, FAs, didnt we? That probably has to be weighted against it.

It all comes down to which players qualify as a compensatory free agent. I think technically we signed more free agents last year than we lost but the FA's we signed didn't qualify as compensatory so they didn't counter against losing Session and Johnson. To be honest, I wasn't sure either Session or Johnson would qualify as compensatory so I wasn't sure we'd get anything other than the crumbs so I'm content with the picks we got. :)

It all comes down to which players qualify as a compensatory free agent. I think technically we signed more free agents last year than we lost but the FA's we signed didn't qualify as compensatory so they didn't counter against losing Session and Johnson. To be honest, I wasn't sure either Session or Johnson would qualify as compensatory so I wasn't sure we'd get anything other than the crumbs so I'm content with the picks we got. :)

As of right now, I doubt we get any next year. Not unless a couple of our guys that have walked in free agency blow up next season. In other words, in the unlikely event that Jacob Lacey becomes a Pro Bowler.

As of right now, I doubt we get any next year. Not unless a couple of our guys that have walked in free agency blow up next season. In other words, in the unlikely event that Jacob Lacey becomes a Pro Bowler.

I think we'd definitely get one for Garcon unless we signed someone to off-set him. As of now though, I don't think any of the new guys brought in would offset him though but could definitely be wrong. I'm not sure about Saturday because I don't know the terms of his contract, which is why I asked earlier. If it was just a one year deal, which is what I'd expect, then we probably wouldn't get anything for him.

I think we'd definitely get one for Garcon unless we signed someone to off-set him. As of now though, I don't think any of the new guys brought in would offset him though but could definitely be wrong. I'm not sure about Saturday because I don't know the terms of his contract, which is why I asked earlier. If it was just a one year deal, which is what I'd expect, then we probably wouldn't get anything for him.

As far as I understand, they weigh the number of free agents you lose against the number of free agents you sign, and only if you come out in the negative do they start looking at the quality of free agent you lose or sign.

I could be wrong, but with the amount of activity we've had in free agency, it really wouldn't surprise me if we don't get any comp picks next year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do.