Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Get 3 Compensatory Picks [Merge]

Sweet. 1st overall and last overall picks. I wonder how it will be with Andrew Luck and the last guy drafted, especially if hes a qb too

I'm not just saying this, but there's a good chance that the Colts take Andrew Luck and Chris Owusu. Owusu could drop to the dead last pick, so with that being said, pick Owusu first overall and make Luck Mr. Irrelevant :thmup:

To discount the seventh round for possible talent is clearly uninformed.

Jason Belser, the 1st selection of the 8th round, 1992

Jeff Zgonina, the 17th selection in the 7th round, 1993

Brock Marion, the 28th selection in the 7th round, 1993

Tom Nalen, the 24th selection in the 7th round, 1994

Adam Timmerman, the 22nd pick in the 7th round, 1995

Keith McKenzie, the 43rd selection in the 7th round, 1996

Koy Detmer, the 6th selection in the 7th round, 1997

Eric Warfield, the 27th pick in the 7th round, 1998

Hunter Smith, the 4th selection in the 7th round, 1999

Donald Driver, the 7th selection in the 7th round, 1999

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, the 4th selection in the 7th round, 2001

Raheem Brock, the 27th selection in the 7th round, 2002

Josh Brown, the 8th selection in the 7th round, 2003

Patrick Crayton, the 15th selection in the 7th round, 2004

Ryan Fitzpatrick, the 36th selection in the 7th round, 2005

Marques Colston, the 44th selection in the 7th round, 2006

Ahmad Bradshaw, the 40th selection in the 7th round, 2007

Matt Flynn, the 2nd selection in the 7th round, 2008

Steve Johnson, the 17th selection in the 7th round, 2008

Peyton Hillis, the 20th selection in the 7th round, 2008

Pat McAfee, the 13th selection in the 7th round, 2009

Kavell Conner, the 33rd selection in the 7th round, 2010

Better than I expected. Completely takes away the risk of trading down for Justice and Stanton (which actually nets us three players from one draft pick).

I assume that 7th round compensatory is a result of the balancing at the end of the draft. If there's any remainder left over after awarding compensatories, they give out more until they equal 32. So, if they gave out 25 compensatory draft picks, they'd give out 7 more to equal a total of 32 compensatory draft picks. And they do that in draft order, so in the 7th round, we'd get the first remaining compensatory draft pick.

I think we will have a pretty strong draft next year as well. As of now, my unofficial list looks like this:

Feree Agents signed - 1) Redding Free Agents lost - 1) Saturday

2) Zbikowski 2) Polcock

3) Avery 3) Gonzo

4)Satele 4) Orlovlky

5) Mcglin 5) Anderson

6) Tamme

7) Garcon

8) Lacey

TBA - Wheeler

Especially IF Wheeler is signed and IF we don't make another big splash I think we will get at least a 4th for Garcon (maybe a 3rd given the size of his contract) and something later. I have a feeling that Tamme may put up some pretty good numbers this year so that could work to our advantage.

We'll see!

As of right now, I doubt we get any next year. Not unless a couple of our guys that have walked in free agency blow up next season. In other words, in the unlikely event that Jacob Lacey becomes a Pro Bowler.

You'd be wrong, most likely. The Colts had to let a lot of players walk, and they didn't bring in 10mill/season kinda guy.

The loss of Garcon strikes me as one that could benefit us greatly next year. Given the size of his contract, I would expect that the Skins will put him to work. He could have a stellar season if he stays healthy and if RG3 pans out to be the next big thing as projected.

Tamme signed a healthy deal, but that could be a wash against our signing of Redding as far as the size of the contract is concerned.

Zbikowski probably cancels out the loss Lacey, and while his deal is longer, it still is roughly in the same per year category as Lacey.

Saturday ought to get us something, as he signed a 2 year, 8 million dollar deal. He is slated to replace the starter GB lost, so there will be something there.

Then, there are a handful of other guys that may get us some 7th round picks. Orlovsky, Anderson, Pollak, Ojinakka, Gonzalez, Muir. I doubt we'll get one for each of those guys, but we'll likely get a couple.

All in all, I'd guess there are at least 2 6th round or above picks, and 2 7th rounders in there somewhere, perhaps one more.

You'd be wrong, most likely. The Colts had to let a lot of players walk, and they didn't bring in 10mill/season kinda guy.

The loss of Garcon strikes me as one that could benefit us greatly next year. Given the size of his contract, I would expect that the Skins will put him to work. He could have a stellar season if he stays healthy and if RG3 pans out to be the next big thing as projected.

Tamme signed a healthy deal, but that could be a wash against our signing of Redding as far as the size of the contract is concerned.

Zbikowski probably cancels out the loss Lacey, and while his deal is longer, it still is roughly in the same per year category as Lacey.

Saturday ought to get us something, as he signed a 2 year, 8 million dollar deal. He is slated to replace the starter GB lost, so there will be something there.

Then, there are a handful of other guys that may get us some 7th round picks. Orlovsky, Anderson, Pollak, Ojinakka, Gonzalez, Muir. I doubt we'll get one for each of those guys, but we'll likely get a couple.

All in all, I'd guess there are at least 2 6th round or above picks, and 2 7th rounders in there somewhere, perhaps one more.

I don't think the NFL office responsible for determining compensatory draft picks concern themselves with contractual salaries and player compensation. They measure quality from what occurs on the field. I think you are relying too much on the loose correlation between compensation and future performance.

I think we will have a pretty strong draft next year as well. As of now, my unofficial list looks like this:

Feree Agents signed - 1) Redding Free Agents lost - 1) Saturday

2) Zbikowski 2) Polcock

3) Avery 3) Gonzo

4)Satele 4) Orlovlky

5) Mcglin 5) Anderson

6) Tamme

7) Garcon

8) Lacey

TBA - Wheeler

Especially IF Wheeler is signed and IF we don't make another big splash I think we will get at least a 4th for Garcon (maybe a 3rd given the size of his contract) and something later. I have a feeling that Tamme may put up some pretty good numbers this year so that could work to our advantage.

We'll see!

Sorry my format didn't translate when I posted. You get the idea anyway.

I don't think the NFL office responsible for determining compensatory draft picks concern themselves with contractual salaries and player compensation. They measure quality from what occurs on the field. I think you are relying too much on the loose correlation between compensation and future performance.

In general, players are paid for their performance. Some pan out, some don't (Haynesworth). In general though, the bigger salary guys are relied on more heavily because the GM/Coach made the decision to pay them for the perceived impact they could have. Garcon CAN be a game changer at times. He also lets easy plays get away from him.

But to me, you bring a talented young passer in RG3 and and a 50 million dollar wideout in Garcon, and I would expect that translates into a high pick compensatory selection for us next year. He'll be their top guy, even if he's not. He'll get more looks and more plays designed to go towards him.

But in general, a team spends 10mil/season on an impact player. No one here thinks Garcon is worth that. But the Redskins do, and will likely try to prove their spending by using him as much as they can.

In general, players are paid for their performance. Some pan out, some don't (Haynesworth). In general though, the bigger salary guys are relied on more heavily because the GM/Coach made the decision to pay them for the perceived impact they could have. Garcon CAN be a game changer at times. He also lets easy plays get away from him.

But to me, you bring a talented young passer in RG3 and and a 50 million dollar wideout in Garcon, and I would expect that translates into a high pick compensatory selection for us next year. He'll be their top guy, even if he's not. He'll get more looks and more plays designed to go towards him.

But in general, a team spends 10mil/season on an impact player. No one here thinks Garcon is worth that. But the Redskins do, and will likely try to prove their spending by using him as much as they can.

If Garcon does not achieve good stats this upcoming season, the NFL office responsible for determining compensatory picks will not rate him as high quality. And this has nothing to do with how much Garcon's contract is worth. That was my point.

A lowly paid WR who achieves high statistics will be valued higher than a highly paid WR who achieves low statistics.

If Garcon does not achieve good stats this upcoming season, the NFL office responsible for determining compensatory picks will not rate him as high quality. And this has nothing to do with how much Garcon's contract is worth. That was my point.

A lowly paid WR who achieves high statistics will be valued higher than a highly paid WR who achieves low statistics.

I have no doubts about that. My primary point is that when a team shells out that kinda money for a guy, they're going to create plays to get him the ball. That may or may not translate into a career year for Garcon. My only guess is that seeing as he is now the #1, he'll get more looks than he ever did with Wayne on the opposite side. And those passes will be coming from a talented rookie, not an over the hill passer (Collins) or a career backup (Orlovsky).

In any case, if a team spends 3 mill on a single season to get a guy on their offense, they're not as committed to him as the Skins are committed to Garcon. Generally, that will mean that Garcon will get more opportunities so they can show exactly why they paid him the money they did. If he falls flat, it could cost someone a job. That's my point. He has a much better likelihood of achieving high stats because someone stuck their neck out and said he should be paid that much.

He has a much better likelihood of achieving high stats because someone stuck their neck out and said he should be paid that much.

Sorry, I cannot agree with that point.

Someone saying a player should be paid much money does not necessarily equate to any probability of that player performing well on the field.

Sorry, I cannot agree with that point.

Someone saying a player should be paid much money does not necessarily equate to any probability of that player performing well on the field.

You really don't think so? There's this guy, he goes by the name of Peyton Manning. He was paid somewhere over 10 million/season for most of his career. There wasn't anyone who contested his spot.

There's this guy, named Dwight Freeney...

There's this guy, named Dallas Clark...

The moment the player ceases to produce, they lose their starting spot and their job as their salary dictates they cannot ride the bench. All that said, Garcon's salary keeps him on the field. His talent will validate his starting spot to a degree. But he'll need some dynamite numbers to keep his job at that salary. All that said, they'll give him every opportunity to do it because some GM said he was worth 10/million a season.

He may lose his job in two years. In fact it is probably quite likely. But he'll be given every opportunity to keep it to make that GM look wise. Any time a FA is given big money, the job is basically theirs to lose. They've proven their worth in the NFL to some degree, and someone thinks highly of them enough to pay them like a star. The next step is validation. And, as I keep trying to saying, he'll be given every opportunity to validate his worth.

You really don't think so? There's this guy, he goes by the name of Peyton Manning. He was paid somewhere over 10 million/season for most of his career. There wasn't anyone who contested his spot.

There's this guy, named Dwight Freeney...

There's this guy, named Dallas Clark...

The moment the player ceases to produce, they lose their starting spot and their job as their salary dictates they cannot ride the bench. All that said, Garcon's salary keeps him on the field. His talent will validate his starting spot to a degree. But he'll need some dynamite numbers to keep his job at that salary. All that said, they'll give him every opportunity to do it because some GM said he was worth 10/million a season.

He may lose his job in two years. In fact it is probably quite likely. But he'll be given every opportunity to keep it to make that GM look wise. Any time a FA is given big money, the job is basically theirs to lose. They've proven their worth in the NFL to some degree, and someone thinks highly of them enough to pay them like a star. The next step is validation. And, as I keep trying to saying, he'll be given every opportunity to validate his worth.

Yeah, I really don't think so.

For every guy you can mention that may be worth it, I can probably mention 2 or 3 guys that weren't worth it.

The only thing that follows is that if someone provides you a contract that pays you a lot of money, there is an expectation that your play on the field would warrant that payment. What does not follow is that because of the payment, and the expectation, that one does perform to expectation.

Yeah, I really don't think so.

For every guy you can mention that may be worth it, I can probably mention 2 or 3 guys that weren't worth it.

The only thing that follows is that if someone provides you a contract that pays you a lot of money, there is an expectation that your play on the field would warrant that payment. What does not follow is that because of the payment, and the expectation, that one does perform to expectation.

My only point is that Garcon will see the field, a lot of the field. He'll be given every opportunity to stay on it. We all know that with the speed he has, he'll get open. They'll throw it to him. And he'll make plays like he did here.

He may improve, he may not. But he will contribute on that offense. And they will want him to produce. That's the point I am making. He's not a Donnie Avery type that we just signed on a one year deal with little to no investment in. Avery is the type that can go either way, and it won't cost anything much of anything. Garcon, on the other hand, was an investment on the Skins part. They will put him to work, and we will be given a compensatory draft pick for the loss of him. My guess is, it will be a mid rounder, but it has potential to be a higher mid round pick if he can improve on the simple catches he occasionally drops. We already know he can make circus catches, and post respectable numbers despite being the number 2.

My only point is that Garcon will see the field, a lot of the field. He'll be given every opportunity to stay on it. We all know that with the speed he has, he'll get open. They'll throw it to him. And he'll make plays like he did here.

He may improve, he may not. But he will contribute on that offense. And they will want him to produce. That's the point I am making. He's not a Donnie Avery type that we just signed on a one year deal with little to no investment in. Avery is the type that can go either way, and it won't cost anything much of anything. Garcon, on the other hand, was an investment on the Skins part. They will put him to work, and we will be given a compensatory draft pick for the loss of him. My guess is, it will be a mid rounder, but it has potential to be a higher mid round pick if he can improve on the simple catches he occasionally drops. We already know he can make circus catches, and post respectable numbers despite being the number 2.

All compensatory picks are mid rounders, and go no higher than the 3rd round.

Yes, the Redskins will put him to work, as WR1, not WR2. As such, he can expect to get opponents' CB1 to cover him.

We will see if he succeeds in this role.

The money paid to him via his contract only provides the expectations, but definitely no guarantees that he will perform.

All compensatory picks are mid rounders, and go no higher than the 3rd round.

Yes, the Redskins will put him to work, as WR1, not WR2. As such, he can expect to get opponents' CB1 to cover him.

We will see if he succeeds in this role.

The money paid to him via his contract only provides the expectations, but definitely no guarantees that he will perform.

Pretty sure I did not guarantee he would perform. Simply that expectation generally dictates that there will be opportunities.

If they get the Garcon we once had, he'll probably capitalize on most of his opportunities, but drop some as well.

In any case, he'll be a starter as long as he's healthy, and that alone improves the likelihood of a higher comp pick. The salary is already drawing attention to him, and will do so throughout the season.

He may or may not perform, that always can be said of any player. But he will most likely put us in the higher range of comp picks over any of our other losses, aside from maybe Saturday.

Pretty sure I did not guarantee he would perform. Simply that expectation generally dictates that there will be opportunities.

Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said:

From this, I interpreted you implying that signing Garcon to a lucrative contract translates into an expectation of a high compensatory pick for the Colts. I just don't agree with that.

Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said:

From this, I interpreted you implying that signing Garcon to a lucrative contract translates into an expectation of a high compensatory pick for the Colts. I just don't agree with that.

There's is a strong difference between a guarantee, and an expectation.

Long story short, RG3 (or Luck I suppose) will be the 2nd overall pick in the draft. The best QB on the Redskins roster will undoubtedly be RG3 (or Luck). The best WR, if past performance suggests anything, is Garcon. They still have Moss, but he's on the downward side of his career.

The key point here is you'll have Shanahan with two brand new toys, and a handful of others. Their game plan will use these two (the QB without question) as much as they can. That's not to say that Garcon will execute, but simply to say that he will be a focal part of their offense. With that in consideration, you have to assume that Garcon will get opportunities. You'd be a stupid as a Coach/GM team to go out and bring in a guy at 10mil/season and not put him to work. It makes your boss question your abilities as a talent evaluator.

So for me, all things considered, Garcon will likely bring us the biggest compensatory selection we've had in a while. You can doubt that all you want, but we haven't lost a free agent that has gone out and collected a contract like that in some time. The Redskins must think awfully high of him to throw that kind of money down to bring him in.

There's is a strong difference between a guarantee, and an expectation.

Long story short, RG3 (or Luck I suppose) will be the 2nd overall pick in the draft. The best QB on the Redskins roster will undoubtedly be RG3 (or Luck). The best WR, if past performance suggests anything, is Garcon. They still have Moss, but he's on the downward side of his career.

The key point here is you'll have Shanahan with two brand new toys, and a handful of others. Their game plan will use these two (the QB without question) as much as they can. That's not to say that Garcon will execute, but simply to say that he will be a focal part of their offense. With that in consideration, you have to assume that Garcon will get opportunities. You'd be a stupid as a Coach/GM team to go out and bring in a guy at 10mil/season and not put him to work. It makes your boss question your abilities as a talent evaluator.

So for me, all things considered, Garcon will likely bring us the biggest compensatory selection we've had in a while. You can doubt that all you want, but we haven't lost a free agent that has gone out and collected a contract like that in some time. The Redskins must think awfully high of him to throw that kind of money down to bring him in.

Yes, there is a big difference between expectation and a guarantee of high compensatory pick from PG.

There is also a big difference between signing a lucrative contract and actually performing to expectations on that.