Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keep Them Guessing/irsay Says The Choice Between Rg3 And Luck Is "up In The Air" ((Merge))

You take those chances with FA we just signed. Again, the 1st overall is worth nothing if Luck is not there and IMO if Luck got hurt, I do not see the team reach for RG3. Would be Polian style draft.

With those free agents there are still other options out there and ways to possibly get out of certain contracts depending on the injury and how it happened.

If you sign the #1 pick and something like that happens, the only option you then have is trading him, but that would come with cap penalties.

Again, there is not a single positive to signing Luck/RGIII or anyone with the #1 pick at this point in time. (outside of selling new jerseys next month) Note that this is very small benefit in the grand scheme of things.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree about there being no positive side to the early signing. IMO, there are two positives that will effect the franchise now and in the long run:

1. Is that the team has a plan and are starting to impliment the plan. Helps the players on the team and the fans.

2. It shows that the Franchise is commiting to winning. Again, effects players on the team now, possible future players, and again the fans.

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree about there being no positive side to the early signing. IMO, there are two positives that will effect the franchise now and in the long run:

1. Is that the team has a plan and are starting to impliment the plan. Helps the players on the team and the fans.

2. It shows that the Franchise is commiting to winning. Again, effects players on the team now, possible future players, and again the fans.

1 Nothing can be done to implement the plan via the QB position at this point. He won't have access to coaches.

2 It shows the franchise that they have made a decision on the first round draft pick.

1 Nothing can be done to implement the plan via the QB position at this point. He won't have access to coaches.

2 It shows the franchise that they have made a decision on the first round draft pick.

What is the hardest thing about leading people? It is convincing them that you know what you are doing (as I was taught). By signing Luck now, you go a long way in doing that. You end all speculations about RG3 or trades. You show you have a plan and you are committed to that plan. You raise moral which in turn get people behind your plan. Very positive after what has happened to this Franchise.

What is the hardest thing about leading people? It is convincing them that you know what you are doing (as I was taught). By signing Luck now, you go a long way in doing that. You end all speculations about RG3 or trades. You show you have a plan and you are committed to that plan. You raise moral which in turn get people behind your plan. Very positive after what has happened to this Franchise.

The risks outweigh the rewards at this point.

If they bring in RG3 for a private workout then maybe. But since they only scheduled one w Luck at this point I think Irsay is just creating some interest and buzz surrounding the team.

I don't think there is any deliberate 'buzz' creation. There is no rush to sign him. No benefit with some risk. Much ado about nothing.

I don't see how any one can see it that way, but more power to you. Do you know the name Brandon Burlesworth?

I've learned that one should never introduce facts, accurate statistics, or historical data to a good Forum discussion. They just get in the way of "reality". Burlsworth is a great cautionary tale, but that's history, and doesn't support the case for signing Luck right away, so his story is irrelevant.

According to the above, the team will be throwing either Luck or Griffin into "a nearly impossible situation with very little talent, and all new coaches."

Fortunately, Luck is the more NFL-ready prospect over Griffin.

From my understanding, all draft prospects who get drafted will have new coaches, and draft prospects who get drafted early go to teams that have performed poorly in the last season, making the probability that much higher that those teams have less talent.

Thank you, Sometimes I wonder if im the only one that gets that any 1st overall pick never goes to a team that is very good. There's a reason why that team has the 1st overall pick to begin with.

IMO, the balance point where the potential good outweighs the potential bad comes about a few days before April 26, such that you can announce that the deal is already signed when they make the announcement that he is drafted. It would allay fears of a potential holdout, and demonstrate mutual commitment. But that is all just PR posturing.

You show commitment when you draft him.

Do you have any previous scenarios where the #1 pick did not produce because he was only selected on draft day? Are you suggesting that Luck will perform differently (better) if we signed him tomorrow than if we took him late April?

I cannot get my head around that one, sorry. Not being rude, just don't get the line of reasoning.....

Thank you, Sometimes I wonder if im the only one that gets that any 1st overall pick never goes to a team that is very good. There's a reason why that team has the 1st overall pick to begin with.

You're very welcome.

I find it very humorous that some would attempt to argue against drafting one highly rated QB prospect over another highly rated QB prospect because the first prospect would then go to a less-talented team, and have to adjust to new coaches. From my perspective, all early round draft picks will be going to less-talented teams and all rookies will have to adjust to new coaches.

If Luck/RGIII could sign today and come in tomorrow and spend 8 hours a day with the offensive staff, then there would be a benefit that might help counter some of the risks involved.

Since they can't, it is too much of a risk to sign anyone until the week of the draft at the earliest.

That is true. If Luck or RG3 were signed today, they cannot spend any significant time with their new team by rule.

However, what they can do is be given the offensive playbook (to the extent it exists), and become familiarized with it until they can meet with the team by rule.

Braveheart, cant seem to quote posts on my phone for some reason.

Anyway, I didn't mention anything about signing him. I just mentioned the fact that they are bringing in Luck for a private workout and not RG3.

I believe Irsay knows exactly which way he is leaning. If they bring in RG3 for an additional workout then maybe they are considering him slightly.

The QB is as much a part of the talent as the talent around him. If Peyton showed anything, he can make the wideouts and TEs look better, and the OL too. So, whoever is chosen first, if they have similar abilities to elevate the levels of the talent around them, they will end up defining the talent around them on the offensive side rather than the other way. I'd personally rather have it that way.

Defensively, it is a different story.

Just my two cents :).

That is true. If Luck or RG3 were signed today, they cannot spend any significant time with their new team by rule.

However, what they can do is be given the offensive playbook (to the extent it exists), and become familiarized with it until they can meet with the team by rule.

What Playbook? I hope they burned last years, and did the "Dance of a Hundred Incompletions' on its tattered ashen remains. Or sent it to the Texans.....

http://profootballta...l-draft-me-yet/

Let's keep the suspense up...

He said "yet" lol.

Sounds like he finds RG3 to be pretty entertaining and exciting.

But, this quote strikes me

Andrew is just a tremendous young guy and such a bright guy and such a leader.

Irsay is going to take the smart leader. Not the entertainer.

Dont you think Luck has been making an effort to keep his mouth shut and say very little when its open..

He knows this is a sensistive situation and he's replcing an icon...

I appreciate that he's not coming as Mr. Big Talk...

..The fans need to hear him say how much he wants and appreciates this opportunity (once its official)

..but the less he says now,. the better...

Plus..I think he a shy kid by nature..something that concerns me.

I agree he will be careful with what he says.

Is he shy like you said? I don't know but if he was why does this concern you btw?

Nice to hear him say he wants to be here. It's not going to be an easy task but Irsay did say he is a leader. ;)

Which minimizes any benefit of signing either one at this point in time. The risks still far outweigh any minimal benefits.

You show commitment when you draft him.

Do you have any previous scenarios where the #1 pick did not produce because he was only selected on draft day? Are you suggesting that Luck will perform differently (better) if we signed him tomorrow than if we took him late April?

I cannot get my head around that one, sorry. Not being rude, just don't get the line of reasoning.....

I am not talking about showing a commitment to Luck. I am talking about the Franchise showing the players that remain that the Franchise is committing to win and have a plan about how to win.

I am not talking about showing a commitment to Luck. I am talking about the Franchise showing the players that remain that the Franchise is committing to win and have a plan about how to win.

And how will that impact those players that remain? What will be different?

And if Irsay chooses Griffin, how will you react?

I certainly wouldn't be upset because I think Griffin is a solid QB and will have a very successful NFL career. I just think Luck is the better prospect, and is more ready for the NFL game. I have nothing against Griffin. What's your opinion on Griffin?

I certainly wouldn't be upset because I think Griffin is a solid QB and will have a very successful NFL career. I just think Luck is the better prospect, and is more ready for the NFL game. I have nothing against Griffin. What's your opinion on Griffin?

I have nothing against Griffin either. However, I think he is overrated as a QB prospect, when some compare him equal to Luck. I don't see him even close.

I think Griffin would be the overall #1 draft pick if Luck wasn't in the draft, and would challenge both Cam Newton last year, and Matt Barkley next year.

But I think Griffin will not last long in the NFL if he continues to play the style of football he has become accustomed to at Baylor.

He does not have Newton's frame to absorb the punishment.

Personally, I can't see any situation in which we don't take Luck

Luck is the first overall no brainer pick in the draft.

I don't even get why there has to be any sort of online debate or with the media either.

Such is life I suppose.

And if Irsay chooses Griffin, how will you react?

I would be beyond stunned. Based on everything I have personally heard and what we have heard and seen. Yep, would be stunned. And angry too.

You might want to look it up but there was even some comments from Irsay going back to I think October when he was talking Luck up a bit. Saying guys like him come around so rarely. This was all in regards to then though in keeping Manning also and drafting his replacement.

I would be beyond stunned. Based on everything I have personally heard and what we have heard and seen. Yep, would be stunned. And angry too.

You might want to look it up but there was even some comments from Irsay going back to I think October when he was talking Luck up a bit. Saying guys like him come around so rarely. This was all in regards to then though in keeping Manning also and drafting his replacement.

I understand.

Maybe if that happens, I may consider the Redskins as my second favorite team. haha.

I understand.

Maybe if that happens, I may consider the Redskins as my second favorite team. haha.

I can almost see RG3 in a Skins uniform when I close my eyes. And good luck to him in a top pass rushing division too. In ours, it is becoming much softer.

Personally I always thought of RG3 as an entertainer. I think the media may go bonkers for this kid...if they have not already.

I see Luck as more a franchise saver in the mold of a young Peyton Manning.

It's a no brainer to take the franchise saver/changer with the first pick in the draft and Irsay will.