Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Year 2 Player Predictions

EastStreet

Year 2 Player Predictions  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Of our year 2 guys on the 53, who will take the biggest step forward?

2. 2. Of our year 2 guys on the 53, who will either regress, or take the smallest step forward?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2020 at 05:38 AM

I picked Campbell as the biggest step forward. I know it's probably the obvious choice, but it should be assuming he's healthy. Ya-Sin was playing at a very high level the last half of the year, so it's hard for him to take as big of step as Campbell. He'll impress though. I really hope though to see Banogu emerges, but my hopes aren't high. I think Oke will get a little better, but just think he's too limited vs the run in the middle. Dulin could surprise some folks IMO.

As far as regression, hard to say. I picked Willis as he was the most picked on DB last year it seemed in the passing game. He's great in the box, but I think QBs will test him early and often now that there's a lot of film on him. 

I picked Rock to take the biggest step forward. I believe he'll turn into a true no1 CB this year in year 2, and that's all you can ask for from a 2nd round pick. Banogu will take the smallest step forward IMO. There's just too much DE depth right now, and I don't think he's going to make too much more of an impact than last year. I think Tyquan Lewis will be the breakout star at DE, not Banogu.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I picked Rock to take the biggest step forward. I believe he'll turn into a true no1 CB this year in year 2, and that's all you can ask for from a 2nd round pick. Banogu will take the smallest step forward IMO. There's just too much DE depth right now, and I don't think he's going to make too much more of an impact than last year. I think Tyquan Lewis will be the breakout star at DE, not Banogu.

Rock's PFF rating the last half of 2019 was already top 10ish, so it's hard to improve a bunch off that. IMO, he's already a true CB1.  I think in reality, folks will simply notice how well he's playing finally. Folks got stuck on one early game when he had a case of the grabs I think lol. It'll be more apparent too with an improved pass rush. That should benefit all the DBs, and I expect our INTs to rise significantly.

He's not a year 2 guy, but I'm cautious on Lewis. I'm guessing he was going up against 2s or 3s in camp. It's a make or break year for him, so I really hope he emerges. Sitting behind Buckner, doubt he gets a lot of PT in close games. He should get some time this week though.

Banogu could see some action with Turay out. If he doesn't show something this year, I don't have high hopes. Given the scheme he came from at TCU, I can understand last year being a developmental year as far as technique is concerned. I'm just a little disappointed we didn't hear a lot about him from camp reports. 

Banogu - Will make major strides. He hit a wall last year but will be better equipped this year! I feel like he is a combo of Muhammad (strong at point & hustle) and Turay (good bend & pursuit off the edge) and will be our starting DE going into 2021.

Campbell - Too obvious of a choice, but if they leave him in the slot with Rivers quick decision-making skills he will have a huge year.

Dulin - He has an excellent chance to grow as a receiver this year and I see another Garcon in him - raw, but strong and athletic af.

Willis - He'll jump a notch again, bu he already ascended to starter material by week 4 or 5 last year.

Okereke - He will continue to grow into Anthony Walker's role and will start at MLB in 2021.

Speed - His growth this year as the SAM will make Walker expendable next offseason. By the end of the year he'll be on the field 40% or more of the snaps and starting in 2021.

Stallworth - This is his third year

Ya-Sin - Already a solid starter, lets see if he turns into a true lockdown this year.

30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Banogu - Will make major strides. He hit a wall last year but will be better equipped this year! I feel like he is a combo of Muhammad (strong at point & hustle) and Turay (good bend & pursuit off the edge) and will be our starting DE going into 2021.

I don't know if I missed stuff, but did you hear anything about him in camp? My buddy actually asked me if he was PUP'd because of the lack of reports on him. I know camp reports aren't gospel, and you have to take them with a grain of salt, but the lack of news on him was disappointing. Did I miss something? We heard good stuff about just about everyone else.

Campbell - Too obvious of a choice, but if they leave him in the slot with Rivers quick decision-making skills he will have a huge year.

I think he will be the biggest beneficiary of not having Burton on the field early this season. 

Dulin - He has an excellent chance to grow as a receiver this year and I see another Garcon in him - raw, but strong and athletic af.

He's a dark horse for me. If we have injury to TY or Campbell, he could emerge if given a chance. 

Willis - He'll jump a notch again, bu he already ascended to starter material by week 4 or 5 last year.

But he struggled a bunch vs the pass. Outside of the box was scary. You can bet he'll be targeted more this year, and he was already picked on last year.

Okereke - He will continue to grow into Anthony Walker's role and will start at MLB in 2021.

Speed - His growth this year as the SAM will make Walker expendable next offseason. By the end of the year he'll be on the field 40% or more of the snaps and starting in 2021.

Walker has been a T machine and one of the most productive Mikes vs the run the last two years. IIRC, top 5 in Ts per snap. I just don't understand the lack of love for this guy, especially as bad as Oke looked at time vs the run.

In addition, if we play more man and base D this year, that likely means Oke plays less MIKE, while playing more SAM. Also don't forget, Walker has been the QB of the D. 

As far as Speed is concerned, just not sure he'll get that many snaps. 

Stallworth - This is his third year

Listed as 2 year on our roster

Ya-Sin - Already a solid starter, lets see if he turns into a true lockdown this year.

I could see Rock and Hooker both doing well in the INT space. Rock was sticky icky the last half of the year.

I voted Banogu for biggest leap. I think he tears it up after an off season of intense tutoring from Mathis. 
I voted Campbell to regress. I know he did little to nothing last season but I fear a repeat this year, which would be massively disappointing..... 
Don't get me wrong; I want the kid to be a star. I just have a sense that he’s destined for the permanent IR pile. Always teasing; always injured. 

I HOPE it's Ya-Sin simply because IMHO it's one of our thinnest positions and one of only 2 positions on the team that really scares me.  IF Ya-Sin comes out like he finished last year and improves from there I will feel much better about things.  I have to think Rhodes will improve now that he is back with a couple of his former coaches from when he was an All-Pro.  Plus I think he was wanting out of Minny, so perhaps he will feel rejuvenated now.  He's got the physical tools to be very good in this defense, particularly if our pass rush improves like I think it will.  Campbell will be nice too but the only reason I didn't pick him is because he hasn't really played much, so to improve on what?  I think he'll be fine as long as he can stay healthy.

As far as the least likely to improve, I will say EJ Speed simply because I don't see him getting much PT unless injuries happen.  Leonard, Walker, and Okereke are CLEARLY our top 3 LB's and all are pretty much studs.

I went Ya-Sin for the biggest improvement. He was already showing signs of better consistency and higher levels of play down the stretch last season. I think he puts a great entire year together this year.

For biggest regression / smallest step forward, i went Okereke, but only because he already played so well last year. If he stepped up even more, he'll be approaching Leonard type production, which would be insane.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Rock's PFF rating the last half of 2019 was already top 10ish, so it's hard to improve a bunch off that.

I went with Rock.  He was very good the last half of last season, but I'm considering the whole season.  I think he may move himself into one of the top 5-8 corners in the league.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I went with Rock.  He was very good the last half of last season, but I'm considering the whole season.  I think he may move himself into one of the top 5-8 corners in the league.

Wouldn't that just be a revelation!

When was the last time we as a fan-base actually felt good about our secondary as a whole and werent worried about teams carving us up?..... It has been a while.

32 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Wouldn't that just be a revelation!

When was the last time we as a fan-base actually felt good about our secondary as a whole and werent worried about teams carving us up?..... It has been a while.

It would be great!   

Lots of pressure on Buckner.  If he can provide QB pressure than the secondary can blossom.   

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I picked Campbell as the biggest step forward. I know it's probably the obvious choice, but it should be assuming he's healthy. Ya-Sin was playing at a very high level the last half of the year, so it's hard for him to take as big of step as Campbell. He'll impress though. I really hope though to see Banogu emerges, but my hopes aren't high. I think Oke will get a little better, but just think he's too limited vs the run in the middle. Dulin could surprise some folks IMO.

That's my thought process with Campbell as well. He had a few small flashes, but overall didn't do much (mainly due to injuries), but he absolutely has the potential to make the biggest jump out of the bunch. I could see Rivers targeting him early and often on the shorter routes in space.

I'm hopeful with Banogu, but I thought he would need a few years of developing to be able to make any meaningful contributions when we drafted him and I don't think that's changed.

Oke was solid when he saw the field, but I think Leonard and Walker limit his ability to contribute a bit.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It would be great!   

Lots of pressure on Buckner.  If he can provide QB pressure than the secondary can blossom.   

I agree with pressure being on Buckner, but I think he knew that and coming off a 2nd team all pro year will be ready to live up to expectations.

I also agree about him helping the secondary... that said, I think he's going to help a lot more than just the secondary.  Last year, after Turay got hurt, the only real threat we had as a pass-rusher on the DL was Houston.  We also have very solid QB pressurers in Moore II and Leonard, and they both got to the QB at critical times last year... having Buckner demanding 2 blockers on most plays will also make it easier on the rest of the DL and should improve the ability of our LBs and DBs to have gaps to get to the QB (or RB).  So not only do I think Buckner's going to aid the secondary, but he'll provide some assistance to the rest of the DL and the LBs, which in turn, also further helps the secondary.

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree with pressure being on Buckner, but I think he knew that and coming off a 2nd team all pro year will be ready to live up to expectations.

I also agree about him helping the secondary... that said, I think he's going to help a lot more than just the secondary.  Last year, after Turay got hurt, the only real threat we had as a pass-rusher on the DL was Houston.  We also have very solid QB pressurers in Moore II and Leonard, and they both got to the QB at critical times last year... having Buckner demanding 2 blockers on most plays will also make it easier on the rest of the DL and should improve the ability of our LBs and DBs to have gaps to get to the QB (or RB).  So not only do I think Buckner's going to aid the secondary, but he'll provide some assistance to the rest of the DL and the LBs, which in turn, also further helps the secondary.

I think Hooker may benefit the most from Buckner.  He's a different player when the QB has to rush some throws.  He could have a breakout year and cash in since he will be a free agent.   

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think Hooker may benefit the most from Buckner.  He's a different player when the QB has to rush some throws.  He could have a breakout year and cash in since he will be a free agent.   

Yes, Hooker definitely is playing to prove something this year (whether he stays in Indy and cashes in or hits the market and goes elsewhere).  I think Hooker will also benefit from an improved overall secondary (assuming Ya-Sin and Willis improve in year 2 and Rhodes as CB2 is an upgrade to the various guys we had there last year).  I also think Rhodes will benefit a lot, his play seemed to drop off last year, but having a lot of pressure on the QB plus moving away from man to more zone should help him tremendously, IMO.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

He's sticky as hell. He really settled down and got comfortable later in the year. If he can do that all season, I really think his name will be spoken by a lot of talking heads. I've always seen him as best suited for a man-D, so hoping Flus plays more man this year like he hinted at last year.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

That's my thought process with Campbell as well. He had a few small flashes, but overall didn't do much (mainly due to injuries), but he absolutely has the potential to make the biggest jump out of the bunch. I could see Rivers targeting him early and often on the shorter routes in space.

I'm hopeful with Banogu, but I thought he would need a few years of developing to be able to make any meaningful contributions when we drafted him and I don't think that's changed.

Oke was solid when he saw the field, but I think Leonard and Walker limit his ability to contribute a bit.

With Turay out for a while, Banogu could get a chance to shine. He's probably the player i HOPE most for lol. 

I'm also hoping we play more base and man D this year, and that might allow Oke to get on the field more. He's much better outside in space than in the middle in traffic. The D is a bit of an enigma to me this year. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He's sticky as hell. He really settled down and got comfortable later in the year. If he can do that all season, I really think his name will be spoken by a lot of talking heads. I've always seen him as best suited for a man-D, so hoping Flus plays more man this year like he hinted at last year.

@AWalkerColts published an interview with Rock the other day. Here's an excerpt:

Like any first-year cornerback, he had some teaching moments — such as Indy's Week 8 matchup against the Denver Broncos, when he was called for five penalties. But as the season wore on, Ya-Sin began to learn just how to play effective coverage without necessarily putting his hands on the receiver.

It's a craft that he continued to work on this offseason, and it certainly showed in training camp.

"I just wanted to be a better pro all the way around. Specifically, I wanted to have better feet," Ya-Sin said about what he's worked on heading into Year 2. "I wanted to be more disciplined at the top of routes, keeping my hands down, not fouling guys and just making plays on the ball."

More often than not, Ya-Sin accomplished his No. 1 goal throughout camp: "do not let my guy catch the ball."

"That's my job description," he said. "That's what I wanted to do this camp."

So yes, Eaststreet, he was a bit grabby last year but he's very smart and has worked hard to correct that. I'm super anxious to see the results!  There's more to the interview with Rock - it's a good read. It also includes an interview with Parris.

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

@AWalkerColts published an interview with Rock the other day. Here's an excerpt:

Like any first-year cornerback, he had some teaching moments — such as Indy's Week 8 matchup against the Denver Broncos, when he was called for five penalties. But as the season wore on, Ya-Sin began to learn just how to play effective coverage without necessarily putting his hands on the receiver.

It's a craft that he continued to work on this offseason, and it certainly showed in training camp.

"I just wanted to be a better pro all the way around. Specifically, I wanted to have better feet," Ya-Sin said about what he's worked on heading into Year 2. "I wanted to be more disciplined at the top of routes, keeping my hands down, not fouling guys and just making plays on the ball."

More often than not, Ya-Sin accomplished his No. 1 goal throughout camp: "do not let my guy catch the ball."

"That's my job description," he said. "That's what I wanted to do this camp."

So yes, Eaststreet, he was a bit grabby last year but he's very smart and has worked hard to correct that. I'm super anxious to see the results!  There's more to the interview with Rock - it's a good read. It also includes an interview with Parris.

Yup, I read that, and posted in another thread that folks remembered the Denver game a little too much, and didn't pay attention to the last half of the season. The kid has all the tools to be very good. And he's a quick learner (some good stories about how quickly he picked up the new scheme after he transferred). I really like that once he settled in, he was pretty physical at the LOS, and did a great job shadowing guys and being in good position at the top. He's still learning of course, but love the progress so far.

Archived