Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN - Colts rank 3rd in "continuity"

EastStreet

3. Indianapolis Colts: 82.7% snaps returning

Offensive snaps returning: 87.9% (4th)
Defensive snaps returning: 77.3% (12th)
Starters returning: 20 (8 offense, 9 defense, 3 special teams)

Non-coordinator assistants returning: 12 of 18
Coordinators returning: 3 of 3 (Nick Sirianni, OC; Matt Eberflus, DC; Bubba Ventrone, ST)

Starting QB: Philip Rivers, 1st year with Colts (17th overall)
Head coach: Frank Reich, 3rd year (17-15)

What it means: Coach Frank Reich and general manager Chris Ballard have consistently talked about building a roster that sticks together to help with the team's continuity. Returning 20 starters should pay dividends. The biggest question remains at quarterback because they signed Rivers from the outside. Rivers is an upgrade over Jacoby Brissett, who started in 2019, but he's yet to do any work with his skill position players. The Colts hope Rivers' experience -- 16 years in the NFL -- and having played in Reich's system since 2013 will help overcome those issues. -- Mike Wells

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29226084/we-ranked-nfl-teams-continuity-1-32-bills-chiefs-lead-way

This Continuity...

Plus the addition of many players who are going to contribute many quality snaps even as newcomers to the roster is why I am very high on the Colts this year.

I am loving Ballard's vision for this franchise.

:colts::lombardi::colts:

I agree the lost starters werent top notch starters the best of the bunch was Ebron who flashed and had a great  2018 after an underwhelming career and came back down to earth. Sheard was very serviceable did what he was paid to do but didnt really move the needle much, Geathers was frequently hurt and Willis showed he is likely and upgrade right off the bat.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well some can look at this 'continuity' negatively 'cause we lost 5 out of 6 last games. :D

I think it is fair to suggest that the 180 average passing yards per game was a big part of that.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

Rivers has been working with a couple, albeit only a couple, of his receivers in person. 

Honestly not worried about playbook and QB/WR chemistry all that much. Reich is running very close to the same system Rivers ran. All the vet pass catchers will be running the same routes that Rivers is used to, and they'll be getting a lot better balls thrown their way this year. Pittman is the only guy I really want to see getting some time in with PR before camp starts. Campbell is my second wish, and he's already had time with PR. TY is pro's pro and will be fine. 

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

The OL is where it is going to help the most.  3rd season going in intact, and THAT is a very big deal.

Yup, having both a gelled and top performing OL is absolutely one of the most important things, especially when you're bringing in a new, and aged QB.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

What excites me is the players we have brought in should be an improvement from the few players no longer here or starting.  

I agree, but I'd still like to see them bring back Sheard and/or Geathers for depth. Bringing in Rivers and drafting Pittman were certainly needed additions on O. Buckner obviously is a game changer on D. The CBs brought in are wild cards though.

6 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I agree the lost starters werent top notch starters the best of the bunch was Ebron who flashed and had a great  2018 after an underwhelming career and came back down to earth. Sheard was very serviceable did what he was paid to do but didnt really move the needle much, Geathers was frequently hurt and Willis showed he is likely and upgrade right off the bat.

I'd love to have Sheard back for depth though. I think they'll play Autry more at DE this year, but that position aside from Houston is still a big ?... Not a big fan of Geathers, but he was a good locker room guy, not to mention a C. Willis really struggles in coverage, so still concerned about S.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well some can look at this 'continuity' negatively 'cause we lost 5 out of 6 last games. :D

Poor QB play and injuries. The O will look night and day this year. My only concern on O is TE, and it's not a big concern. My biggest concern is DB, which I think will end up surprising with the addition of Buckner and improved pass rush.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I think it is fair to suggest that the 180 average passing yards per game was a big part of that.

huge part

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Continuity is important any year. This season it is even more important, with a reduced off season.

So we should have a leg up on most teams just based off that. At least out of the gate.

The DBs and DL are the areas I'm concerned about when it comes to the short pre-season. A lot of moving pieces and ?s in those areas.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, Myles said:

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, having both a gelled and top performing OL is absolutely one of the most important things, especially when you're bringing in a new, and aged QB.

I agree, but I'd still like to see them bring back Sheard and/or Geathers for depth. Bringing in Rivers and drafting Pittman were certainly needed additions on O. Buckner obviously is a game changer on D. The CBs brought in are wild cards though.

I'd love to have Sheard back for depth though. I think they'll play Autry more at DE this year, but that position aside from Houston is still a big ?... Not a big fan of Geathers, but he was a good locker room guy, not to mention a C. Willis really struggles in coverage, so still concerned about S.

Poor QB play and injuries. The O will look night and day this year. My only concern on O is TE, and it's not a big concern. My biggest concern is DB, which I think will end up surprising with the addition of Buckner and improved pass rush.

huge part

The DBs and DL are the areas I'm concerned about when it comes to the short pre-season. A lot of moving pieces and ?s in those areas.

Our 2nd half season swoon IMO were because Reich was handcuffed by his conservative play calling because of brissets lack of passing skills AND Vinateri's awful kicking.

Our QB & K play should be improved this season with the addition of Rivers and whoever our new kicker is. Our D should also improve by not being on the field as much with a improved O.

Rivers hasn't missed a game since 2009, and he had a very mediocre OL in SD.  Behind this line, I would think he could remain relatively healthy.  The only question will be production IMHO.  And if he is just a little bit better than Jacoby, this team should be fine.  But I think he has much more potential than "just a little bit better".

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Our 2nd half season swoon IMO were because Reich was handcuffed by his conservative play calling because of brissets lack of passing skills AND Vinateri's awful kicking.

Our QB & K play should be improved this season with the addition of Rivers and whoever our new kicker is. Our D should also improve by not being on the field as much with a improved O.

Your point about our D not being on the field as much is huge. A good O helps the D in so many ways. I agree also on poor passing skills and condensed play book. While we might start off a bit slow from a passing or playbook perspective this year, I think things will be wide open by mid season.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And decimated receiver corps. It's debatable in which order to list those items.

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Rivers hasn't missed a game since 2009, and he had a very mediocre OL in SD.  Behind this line, I would think he could remain relatively healthy.  The only question will be production IMHO.  And if he is just a little bit better than Jacoby, this team should be fine.  But I think he has much more potential than "just a little bit better".

No harm here, but just to set the record straight, Philip hasn't missed a game his entire life. At least as far back as high school forward, anyway. I don't remember how many games it was in high school, but that's 51 out of 51 in college, and 235 out of 235 in the NFL. And counting :D.

15 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

No harm here, but just to set the record straight, Philip hasn't missed a game his entire life. At least as far back as high school forward, anyway. I don't remember how many games it was in high school, but that's 51 out of 51 in college, and 235 out of 235 in the NFL. And counting :D.

Yeah when I pulled it up perhaps it was the last time he left a game with injury?  IDK, I can't find what I found earlier  Either way, health shouldn't be the issue in Indy.  And that is DAMNED impressive.

Archived